• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Grev 2x Love] Strania (XBLA, Worldwide, 800MSP) + Mamoru-kun (PS3, JP)

Corto

YAYYYYY

yiff5.jpg

List of bug fixes for Strania's patch is up:

http://www.grev.co.jp/str/update.html

Changes

1 The training mode has been adjusted to allow gamers to select specific areas within a stage.
2 The training mode has been adjusted to allow gamers to select specific areas within a stage.
3 An option to change the screen mode has been added to the Options section of the menu. Support for 4:3 format has been added.
4 The maximum number of armor that can be selected within the Options section has been increased from 5 to 9.
5 The length of the Demo Play video has been shortened to 90 seconds. It previously showed game play through an entire stage.
6 The player's offensive power for physical attacks (actually hitting enemy characters with the mecha) has been reduced by half.
7 The power of the "Bomb" weapon has been slightly weakened, but has been adjusted to include a napalm burst that erases enemy fire upon collision.
8 The "Missle" weapon has been adjusted to shoot a greater number of missles in one burst, the power of each slightly weakened to conform with the higher volume.
9 English translations have been added to the weapon leveling panel (appears when a player increases the level of a given weapon). The translated graphics will appear for all users that do not have their language set to Japanese.
10 The color of the cross that shows the center of a player's collision detection has been changed (from green to orange).
11 Users that play the trial version then immediately purchase the full game will be able to create save data for the portion played in the trial. Upon purchasing the full game, such users will be directed to the Title Screen where save data can be created.
12 The maximum volume that can be selected for sound settings has been reduced from 25 to 15.

Bug Fixes

1 Fixed bug that stopped or froze the game in Stage 6.
2 Fixed bug in which the game freezed when users accessed the leaderboard.
3 Fixed bug in which scores achieved in Hard and Expert difficulty settings were not accurately recorded.
4 Fixed bug in which the boss of Level 5 would not appear during online play over LIVE.
5 Fixed bug in which users were awarded the achievement for clearing the game without continuing despite using one or more continues during online multiplayer.

LiK

_dementia said:
Did Momoru-kun PS3 bomb? I'm hearing stories of 3k first week sales.
Unless they shipped a very small amount of them, the LE is sold out in every site I checked. I also noticed the normal edition is sold out in some places.

_dementia said:

Yes it did.

Doesn't help that Gulchi hasn't commented on the freezing issues for a month.

Although I really enjoyed the game, it's hard to recommend with all the problems it has.

My review: http://www.pwnem.com/t-strania-review

Got a response from G. Rev...

G. Revolution said:
Thanks for the comments and the kind words in the review. We
appreciate that the reviewer was open to discovering the good
qualities of the game despite, as he mentioned, that he or she is not
particularly fond of the game.

We will have a title update soon that will fix existing bugs and also
help explain some of the scoring confusion that the reviewer mentioned
in the post (weapon leveling will be shown in English, for example).
Further explanation will be posted on our Facebook page.

I thought that was nice of them. This is the second dev. I've heard anything from regarding a review I wrote (first was Mamotte Knight. <3 Ancient)

klee123

_dementia said:

The game sold poorly on both systems really. The 360 version didn't break 6K copies on its first week either.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Can't believe people aren't buying Strania. For once we have such a competent and polished shmup on a DD platform, selling for cheap, and yet most GAFfers seem to be ignoring it... Even tho all you read usually in Shmup/Cave threads is "don't wanna import/fork out $75, port it to XBLA/PSN pleeeeease".
WTF, do no one remembers of Under Defeat's awesomeness?! Support G-REV!
What are your scores, guys?

adversesolutions said:
List of bug fixes for Strania's patch is up:

http://www.grev.co.jp/str/update.html

All of this sounds good to me. I hope the new Bomb is actually useful, because it's the last weapon I need to get to 10-dan for the achievement. And I'm glad they changed the color of the player's cross - the green can be hard to see sometimes.

I'm also glad I got the 'clear Expert' achievement in co-op before they fixed it. I knew that was inevitable. hehehe

Dash Kappei said:
What are your scores, guys?

14.83m in Normal. I haven't played Hard or Expert much because the leaderboards weren't working. And yes, the game is awesome. It's easily one of my favorites on XBLA.

I cleared Normal with a pathetic 6.6 mil since I only leveled up Vulcan and Rocket.

Will definitely be jumping back on the game once the patch is live. Though I suppose I should get that Expert achievement before they patch it, lol...

Corto

adversesolutions said:
Yes it did.

Doesn't help that Gulchi hasn't commented on the freezing issues for a month.

Although I really enjoyed the game, it's hard to recommend with all the problems it has.

I'm not very far into the game but I didn't have a problem with the game yet... Is there a specific part of the game that freezes?

Corto said:
I'm not very far into the game but I didn't have a problem with the game yet... Is there a specific part of the game that freezes?

Arcade and Story mode often freeze if played for a long amount of time. It's speculated that there is a memory leak, so if you play 3 or 4 times in a row on those modes, it's safe to exit to the XMB and enter the game again.

For me, game froze about 6 times in my time with it.

Momoru does not come recommended. Very bland shmup. There are way too many good shmups out this gen, I'd recommend any Cave STG over it (Death Smiles, Mushihemesama Futari, ESP Galuda, DoDonPachi just to name a few), Otemdius, Eschatos, Trouble Witches, Raiden etc. are all far better.

Strania is ok, haven't gotten around to getting points yet but I enjoyed the demo.

All the Side Vower talk got me in the mood to start playing this again, so I went back and got my 200/200. Getting the Bomb to 10-dan is a lot easier now that they've improved it with the patch, but it's still a pain in the ass because you have to suicide on stage 1 over and over until you get two Bombs from the random drops.

Gonna pick up Side Vower tomorrow most likely.

Tain

Got Vower, played one credit, it's baller. Seems harder, maybe I'm crazy.

I gotta get back to vanilla Strania. Maybe after beating Denjin Makai II.

Side Vower DLC is proving that this is one of the best XBLA releases of the year.

Definitely oriented towards the advanced player, but what a ton of fun! Enemies everywhere, new bosses, music. Awesome stuff, will add info to the op soon.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that Gulchi announced via Twitter that Mamoru-kun PS3 version will be patched! If this fixes all the crashing bugs I can definitely recommend the game to anyone. Especially if there's a price drop it's worth picking up.

I've interviewed G.rev CEO Hiroyuki Maruyama: http://gen16.com/archives/9578/interview-with-g-rev-ceo-hiroyuki-maruyama

Some interesting quotes:

About the future of G.rev and the rough times for a small company:

There are several issues that have prevented our ability to expand and we are still a small company. So we certainly are not satisfied.

Up until now, we have created games from the stance that they are games we wanted to make. In the future, we may have to adjust our perspective.

About Border Down and Under Defeat remakes for XBLA:

We had considered it in the past, but the timing was not right so we decided to shelf the ideas. Now that we have finished Strania, it would not be strange if we gave those titles some reconsideration (laughs).

About the lack of shmups on PS3:

It seems that only the games on which a lot of money has been spent in creation, ones that can offer rich content, are the ones that are successful. Certainly we can understand that more casual games can be sold over the PlayStation Network. However, there is nothing casual about the process it takes to get a game distributed on that service.

About XBLA and Strania:

To say that Xbox Live Arcade is “The Last Paradise,” however, would be an exaggeration, as the service has a few problems of its own.

At this point, we do not have plans for additional content, but if sales of the game and the DLC are good, then there is a possibility for something to happen.

About the cancelled DLC for Senko no Ronde DUO:

We were incorrect in evaluating the needs of the consumer. Many of the consumers who purchased the game would have found the DLC package that we prepared unnecessary.

About Mamoru-kun for PS3:

We would have preferred to make a sequel, but that did not happen for various reasons. Eventually, Gulti and Cyber Front, the publisher of the PS3 version, suggested to make a PS3 version that, even if it was not a true sequel to the original game, included a new mode.

MjFrancis

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

I've yet to delve into Mamoru-kun on the PS3, but it probably deserves more than the single play I gave it on the 360. I'm a big fan of G.Rev, but I wasn't quite expecting the game we ended up getting in Mamoru-kun.

Wow, turned on my PS3 for the first time in like a year and noticed that my Platinum in Mamoru-kun was down to 77%, aka DLC was released. Two sets of four missions for 400 yen each.

Damn expensive but I took the plunge. Will update about how it is later on.

Slermy

Hopefully it'll be region free or someone will pick it up for localization. I'd love to support them some more (already own the original and Border Down, as well as the US release of Senko no Ronde and of course Strania).

Top Bottom