• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Groundhogs Day: Tetsuya Nomura says Versus will be unveiled, please wait a while

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Please don't be Playstation exclusive. There's nothing to gain for us consumers and it would rule out all chance of a PC version.

Everything has pointed at Sony buying exclusive rights to the game.

And unless its magically done within a year... LOL. It will be moved to the PS4. They aren't going to release a major title like this on the PS3 any later than a few months after release.

duckroll

And why does SE care for Japanese PS4 adoption?

Probably because they invested a ton of money in the last 2 years into developing a next generation graphics engine for their Japanese development staff which they've been promoting everywhere. Considering MS is non-existent in the Japanese market, if the PS4 fails... that's going to be a pretty bad investment for S-E!

Exentryk

Probably because they invested a ton of money in the last 2 years into developing a next generation graphics engine for their Japanese development staff which they've been promoting everywhere. Considering MS is non-existent in the Japanese market, if the PS4 fails... that's going to be a pretty bad investment for S-E!

Luminous Studio is a highly scalable engine, and isn't just for PS4. If PS4 bombs, and nextbox sails, SE will easily move it there.

duckroll

Luminous Studio is a highly scalable engine, and isn't just for PS4. If PS4 bombs, and nextbox sails, SE will easily move it there.

If you think it is not in S-E's interest to ensure that there is at least one successful next-gen platform in Japan, then I think that's pretty silly. S-E isn't going to go out of their way to help Sony succeed, but if their interests are aligned, it is certainly in S-E's interest.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch

Unless PS4 systems explode and have to be taken off the market. I do not see a world where 720 will be outselling PS4 in Asia.

there is always Wii U lol.

serious question btw.. does Luminous support Nintendo's Wii U? Didn't read anything about Wii U support of SE's next generation engine.

duckroll

serious question btw.. does Luminous support Nintendo's Wii U? Didn't read anything about Wii U support of SE's next generation engine.

I'm sure it can "support" the WiiU, but that's really not the point. Companies invest millions into developing cutting edge technology with the expectation that they will benefit from this. The engine being able to support weaker platforms is a secondary function, and if that is all they will use the engine for in the future than they have already wasted all their investment honestly.

Exentryk

If you think it is not in S-E's interest to ensure that there is at least one successful next-gen platform in Japan, then I think that's pretty silly. S-E isn't going to go out of their way to help Sony succeed, but if their interests are aligned, it is certainly in S-E's interest.

Read my post again.

You get it when you say "SE isn't going to go out of their way to help Sony succeed". Meaning SE won't move Versus to the PS4 just to move Sony consoles. They already have a healthy console in the PS3. And that's what I was trying to get across to Triple U.

And of course, I don't honestly see Xbox trouncing PS4 in Japan.

I'm sure it can "support" the WiiU, but that's really not the point. Companies invest millions into developing cutting edge technology with the expectation that they will benefit from this. The engine being able to support weaker platforms is a secondary function, and if that is all they will use the engine for in the future than they have already wasted all their investment honestly.
makes absolutely sense.

Exentryk

Well, if they can support Ipads and browsers, Wii U shouldn't be a problem. Or could it? :p

"In the case of the Luminous Studio, we're probably not going to be bound to any particular platform," he told RPGSite when quizzed on scalability.

He went on to say that the engine caters to "PC already, probably PlayStation 3, Mobile, iPad tablets also browser and cloud as well. Not just next-gen - we can scale," he said.

duckroll

Read my post again.

You get it when you say "SE isn't going to go out of their way to help Sony succeed". Meaning SE won't move Versus to the PS4 just to move Sony consoles. They already have a healthy console in the PS3. And that's what I was trying to get across to Triple U.

If we believe that Sony is not helping with Versus in any way whatsoever, then the game will without a doubt be on PS3, maybe 360, and almost certainly cross-gen with next-gen systems as well.

If on the other hand we believe that Sony is actually helping S-E with development of Versus because they're so far up their ass with FFXIV that they cannot finish the game any other way, then well, that's a good reason for it to be exclusive. Which is what I said earlier.

My response to you is why S-E cares about Japanese adoption of the PS4. MS has no hope in Japan, so the faster the PS4 sells in Japan, the larger the audience for S-E's big next-gen titles in the Japanese market. It's not rocket science.

GorillaJu

Read my post again.

No, but I think what people are implying here is that exposure at the start of a generation is really positive for software sales. Look at games like Resistance, where the sequel's sales were rather unspectacular, but the original did well, selling 3 million-ish copies. Final Fantasy X came out soon after the PS2 did, and is Square's best-selling FF game after 7 and 8, when the magic was truly there.

It could benefit both parties, though it'd take some financial assistance on Sony's part (maybe handling a chunk of the development, as rumored). No doubt, it'd still get it's beginning-gen boost if it weren't exclusive, but it may work out in their favor to team up with Sony on this one.

Obviously can't know for sure, but it would seem feasible to me.

Perkel

Banned
Read my post again.

Healthy in what sense ? Market share ? PS3 and X360 are "healthy" because there are no next gen consoles on market yet. When Xbox and PS4 will hit market sales of PS3 and X360 will plumet. If what you say is true then no company would sell their games on x360 or PS3 because they have 150mln PS2 market.

Early gen is best way to create new franchizes if SE will fail to aboard then they will be in bad situation.

Also early gen games don't have much competition so they still can sell a lot.

Exentryk

If we believe that Sony is not helping with Versus in any way whatsoever, then the game will without a doubt be on PS3, maybe 360, and almost certainly cross-gen with next-gen systems as well.

Almost certainly cross-gen? No. Only PS3 and maybe Xbox 360.

My response to you is why S-E cares about Japanese adoption of the PS4. MS has no hope in Japan, so the faster the PS4 sells in Japan, the larger the audience for S-E's big next-gen titles in the Japanese market. It's not rocket science.

And I'm saying they don't necessarily care for PS4 in particular, but a console. Given past performances, that console is more than likely to be the PS4, but it isn't written in stone. Market changes.

No, but I think what people are implying here is that exposure at the start of a generation is really positive for software sales. Look at games like Resistance, where the sequel's sales were rather unspectacular, but the original did well, selling 3 million-ish copies. Final Fantasy X came out soon after the PS2 did, and is Square's best-selling FF game after 7 and 8, when the magic was truly there.

It could benefit both parties, though it'd take some financial assistance on Sony's part (maybe handling a chunk of the development, as rumored). No doubt, it'd still get it's beginning-gen boost if it weren't exclusive, but it may work out in their favor to team up with Sony on this one.

Obviously can't know for sure, but it would seem feasible to me.

All I can say is that if I was an investor, I'd want Versus on the PS3 given the high install base. As a gamer and a fan, who wouldn't want their game to look even more awesome on a next gen console?

duckroll

Almost certainly cross-gen? No. Only PS3 and maybe Xbox 360.

I strongly believe that any major franchise title coming out in the next 2 years targeting an audience who would care about high end graphics will more likely be cross-gen than now. We have already seen many signs of this.

All I can say is that if I was an investor, I'd want Versus on the PS3 given the high install base. As a gamer and a fan, who wouldn't want their game to look even more awesome on a next gen console?

This is what Square Enix thinks of their "investors": http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6325/fixing_final_fantasy_xiv_the_.php

On the other hand, with FFXIV, operations and development are all funded 100 percent by Square Enix, so as long as we decide to continue backing the project and we don't give up, we can continue to provide things to the players, see what they want, then go back and retry things, redo things. Basically, it comes up to us. We're not at the strings of the investors.

Exentryk

Healthy in what sense ? Market share ? PS3 and X360 are "healthy" because there are no next gen consoles on market yet. When Xbox and PS4 will hit market sales of PS3 and X360 will plumet. If what you say is true then no company would sell their games on x360 or PS3 because they have 150mln PS2 market.

Early gen is best way to create new franchizes if SE will fail to aboard then they will be in bad situation.

Also early gen games don't have much competition so they still can sell a lot.

So, let's move all our work of Versus on PS3 to the PS4.
What? But that's going to cost more money. What's in it for us?
Well, we lose about 70 million install base, so initial sales may not be so good. But we'll help our buddies Sony sell more consoles.

It is going to be crazy as hell if Versus and The Last Guardian end up as PS4 games. The Japanese development scene is in some serious trouble.

Arthea

I really, really hope the rumor that they changed the combat to turn based is a lie.

I really, really hope it's true. I personally don't need another KH with a different name and world.
Not necessary turn based, but nothing like I've seen last time, highly KHish

duckroll

So, let's move all our work of Versus on PS3 to the PS4.
What? But that's going to cost more money. What's in it for us?

Sounds like the history of Versus development to me:

- Let's scrap all our work on the world map and make it more like an open world game

- Let's scrap some completed Visualworks CG to make more scenes realtime to make it more seamless

- Let's redo this realtime cutscene in Visualworks CG instead cause it doesn't look good enough

etc (Crystal Tool was crap so we made our own engine kinda)

etc (Luminous Studio looks cool, we're incorporating the lighting system in the game now)

etc (The situation is delicate, please be excited)

Versus is an ongoing money sink and Square Enix is happy to keep it going that way.

Exentryk

I strongly believe that any major franchise title coming out in the next 2 years targeting an audience who would care about high end graphics will more likely be cross-gen than now. We have already seen many signs of this.

Well, we'll be able to play PS3 games on the PS4 (under fast internet conditions anyway.) So at least there is that.

That is a little surprising coming from SE, but a little understandable given the project is XIV and that SE want to redeem themselves before fans.

Overall however, shareholders come first, as evident by their social game endeavours, Lightning over saturation, and no Versus XIII.

luca1980

Banned
It is going to be crazy as hell if Versus and The Last Guardian end up as PS4 games. The Japanese development scene is in some serious trouble.
japanese development scene is ok:
for jrpg there are falcom with the kiseki and namco with tales of
for the rest there is from software with the souls games.

It's ok. Just don't wait for se or die in wait lol

Arthea

It still can be PS exclusive if Sony wants it to be enough, no?
What sense ToV 360 exclusivity made for example?

Arthea

Didn't MS pay to help fund it?

My point exactly. Sony can do it too, you know, especially considering that today costs of Versus should be insane, unless they never worked on it in the first place and it was all for trailers and waiting talk.

jYz25rF.jpg

Too early for flapjacks?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
My point exactly. Sony can do it too, you know, especially considering that today costs of Versus should be insane, unless they never worked on it in the first place and it was all for trailers and waiting talk.
I feel like Versus and Last Guardian have to have been a situation similar to the original KojiPro version of Rising. Just a series of barely functioning tech demos and proof of concept reels.

Exentryk

Sounds like the history of Versus development to me:

- Let's scrap all our work on the world map and make it more like an open world game

- Let's scrap some completed Visualworks CG to make more scenes realtime to make it more seamless

- Let's redo this realtime cutscene in Visualworks CG instead cause it doesn't look good enough

etc (Crystal Tool was crap so we made our own engine kinda)

etc (Luminous Studio looks cool, we're incorporating the lighting system in the game now)

etc (The situation is delicate, please be excited)

Versus is an ongoing money sink and Square Enix is happy to keep it going that way.

Lol! Sad thing is it's all true XD

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, we know that the game has probably been delayed to the PlayStation 4 despite being announced six months before the PS3 released.

However, can Square Enix manage to delay the re-revealed game all the way to the PlayStation 5?

duckroll

So, we know that the game has probably been delayed to the PlayStation 4 despite being announced six months before the PS3 released.

However, can Square Enix manage to delay the re-revealed game all the way to the PlayStation 5?

Playstation Infinite imo.

Calcaneus

Well, the one trailer that showed some gameplay looked nice. I guess I'll just go watch that again and forget about the game for another two years.

The thing I hope Square learns from all of this is to avoid revealing a game more than 18 months before its release. The days of "we made a pre-rendered trailer to show you what we intend to do with this game that we haven't even started making yet" need to disappear. If you reveal a game at an E3, it needs to come out before the christmas of the following year.

DesuNe

The thing I hope Square learns from all of this is to avoid revealing a game more than 18 months before its release. The days of "we made a pre-rendered trailer to show you what we intend to do with this game that we haven't even started making yet" need to disappear. If you reveal a game at an E3, it needs to come out before the christmas of the following year.

Absolutely this. But they've done it every time.

Hopefully with the shake up in their ranks someone will have an inkling about this and slap anyone who tries to announce something that's going to take over 2-3 years to bear fruit (nevermind bloody 7).

Will Square Enix even last that long if it gets to that point?

Top Bottom