• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

l2ounD

ughh... man Im not digging these GTRs

Takes soo much to turn these guys. Im going all rally style and ebraking on Eiger to turn them on the hairpins. It feels sloppy doing it and probably losing some time but man that test is no fun otherwise.

I hope they bring back the 370 for the final.

paskowitz

Final rounds are open.

This is the only round that counts if you are intent on winning this competition.

Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course Time Trial

370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy) '08

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just one car? Do you win it twice golding both rounds or something?

paskowitz

Post edited.

Twin Ring Motegi Now Available in GT Academy 2012, Final Round Begins!

The final rounds of competition are now available in the GT Academy 2012 mini-game, including the all-important, final time trial challenge, which takes place at Polyphony Digital’s newly-remodeled Twin Ring Motegi circuit!

As most of you know, Twin Ring Motegi was not included in Gran Turismo 5, and has not been seen in a Gran Turismo title since Gran Turismo PSP was released in 2009. Hints at the presence of the track’s inclusion in the GT Academy 2012 mini-game popped up shortly after the competition went live last month and were closely followed by more high-resolution screenshots.

Here’s a closer look at the new time trial challenges, which are available to all players around the world:

Round 7 – Nissan GT-R Black edition Tuned Car (GT Academy) ’12

Nürburgring ‘Adenau – Forest’
Continuous Blind Corners on the ‘Côte d’Azur’ Course
Sarthe Circuit ‘Porsche Curve’
Nürburgring; Wet Conditions

Round 8 – 370Z Tuned Car (GT Academy) ’08

Mid Speed Corner; Speed Control
Blind Corners at Night
Continuous Corners; Maintaining Stability
Spa-Francorchamps ‘Eau Rouge’ – ‘Les Combes’
Twin Ring Motegi East Short Course Time Trial

The 32 fastest players in the final time trial challenge, Round 8-5, from each participating region, will be invited to their respective regional finals. Check your local gran-turismo.com website for the official rules and registration forms which apply to your country.

Be sure to stop by our GT Academy 2012 forum for more hints, tips, and discussions with your fellow competitors. Good luck to all GTPlanet members!

I guess people got their wish for the difficulty going up. The last two event (Motegi and Spa) have much more difficult timed events. And Motegi's event allows you to stay on track as long as you don't make any mistakes. So you can clock as many laps as you want on one go.

TheSeks

FUCK. What is the idea for 8-4? I can't seem to cut the first "corner"/S quickly enough to draft-catch the second two cars and sling-shot past them to the 1/2nd cars to slingshot past them in the third "corner"/last bit before the end. My best time is like .300 below the gold time and it's PISSING ME OFF.

Kaze13

Blew through the preliminary rounds to get to 8-5. Found the top times...ouch. Here we go. On a be tough.

Also, I had a suspicion about their graphical tweaks and this last few rounds tell me I was partially right. They upped the contrast and went for a more realistic look. It's especially evident at Spa and Motegi.

Arcteryx

FUCK. What is the idea for 8-4? I can't seem to cut the first "corner"/S quickly enough to draft-catch the second two cars and sling-shot past them to the 1/2nd cars to slingshot past them in the third "corner"/last bit before the end. My best time is like .300 below the gold time and it's PISSING ME OFF.

Cut as close to the cones on the left at the start and push hard over right, you might have to brake/let off a slight amount, but that should slingshot you up right past the back car and you should have no issues getting right up in 3rd. Then it's a pretty simple inside pass on the last 2 cars to secure the gold(and more).

That aside, I've been having this annoying bug on 8-1 through 8-4, where my times aren't updated. I can see them in the after race screen, but when I go to my leaderboard it just shows my friendslist rankings. Seems to be an issue on GTP as well; not a big deal, but highly annoying when trying to better times amongst friends.

8-5 wasn't super tricky for me and I'm pretty happy with my current place of ~175(which is still a good amount from first in timing). Hopefully we get access to Motegi soon.

TheSeks

I get that idea from the ghost #1 from yesterday. But I can't seem to catch up to #2 at all. I can get past #3-4 shortly after the bridge because with TCS off and ABS off on a controller I'm struggling to keep the car slightly stable as it loses grip sling-shotting through that S to catch up and overtake them. And my drafting gets me up to 150MPH which I then have to slam the brakes HARD to get around to 50MPH or less to get through that last S to the last corner. By the time I do that I'm coming up on 42 seconds. :/

Goldrusher

Fuck 3-3 is doing my head in. I can't drive this 4WD for shit. :| Either slam into the cones or understeer like the boat into the cones/off-track trying to get through the corners quickly. How the hell are you supposed to get a 35 second time on this!?
I can't even finish 4-5 to even get a bronze on it. :/ It's pissing me off. Both of these cars want to slide when I'm going through the corner or pull off track when I'm taking them with a reasonable (50-80MPH) speed.
How are you supposed to get past the 5-2 Hairpins? I got 31:300 instead of 31:200 or above and it's pissing me off trying to shave that last hundred milliseconds or more off. I'm going too slow in the hairpins or something and the curves are too sharp to where the car is wanting to slam into the barriers instead snaking through. :/
What is the idea for speed and stability in the dowhill S-curve 6-4 challenge? I either am too slow trying to avoid the udnersteer or go too fast and understeer into a barrier. And I've tried all manner of assists. Seems impossible with the DS3.
Wouldn't it easier to list the ones you don't have trouble with?

wabo

Banned
¬¬ Poor guy...

Besides, got 800 on my region with pad, automatic and all the crap. 1:35.189, so I'm pretty confident I'll get to 1:33.XXX with the DFGT but anything below that will take me blood, sweat and tears. Downloaded the 1# time so I saw the point is:

- learn to cut 'till you're kicked by the game
- accelerate very gently in double S.
- shifting gears, as always, automatic is very conservative

I loose the pace in the double S due to DS3-analog-crap and countersteering. At least I think I got the good brake points so the work will be in ironing corners and desperate on how good others are ^^

¬¬ Poor guy...

Besides, got 800 on my region with pad, automatic and all the crap. 1:35.189, so I'm pretty confident I'll get to 1:33.XXX with the DFGT but anything below that will take me blood, sweat and tears. Downloaded the 1# time so I saw the point is:

- learn to cut 'till you're kicked by the game
- accelerate very gently in double S.
- shifting gears, as always, automatic is very conservative

I loose the pace in the double S due to DS3-analog-crap and countersteering. At least I think I got the good brake points so the work will be in ironing corners and desperate on how good others are ^^

How can you check per region?

wabo

Banned
In www.gran-turismo.com (log in) or automatically in GT Academy 8-5 check clasification and then automatically shows where are you. You can also see where are you global. The former is faster than the first, surprisingly.

Nevertheless, don't trust in today's times. We should see some crazy times running even seconds faster than now (1:31.low right now) at the end of GT Academy.

paskowitz

Best times will be in the 1:30's. I will only be able to manage 1:31.xxx. I think the cut off for the top 32 in the us will be around 1:31.5.

smiggyRT

So i finally managed to get online, I had to move my PS3 downstairs though so I can't use my wheel :/

Managed a 1:34.0xx with the controller though, I don't think i blinked for about 15 minutes :lol

Edit - Best time in UK right now is a 1:31.190 so people will easily make it into the 1:30s

andylsun

Twin Ring is kicking my ass. Can't get below 1.36 - even with a wheel. 370Z seems to handle pretty horribly, or I just don't know how to drive a RWD.

Someone on my friends list is 1.33, so that's not helping.

So i finally managed to get online, I had to move my PS3 downstairs though so I can't use my wheel :/

Managed a 1:34.0xx with the controller though, I don't think i blinked for about 15 minutes :lol

Edit - Best time in UK right now is a 1:19.190 so people will easily make it into the 1:30s

1:19? Best WW time is 1:31.190

TheSeks

Wouldn't it easier to list the ones you don't have trouble with?

Maybe if they didn't require gold for the cars, I wouldn't bitch so much. The bronze and silvers are doable on a controller. But these golds are pure murder. I've gotten up to the last two golded. But 8-4 is stupid hard because it requires you to sling shot the car while it's unstable which seems damn near impossible with a controller.

Finally. After like 1,000 attempts I finally get gold on 8-4. Didn't have to get past the first or second car just get close to them. Hurrah, yippie. Leaves the last/qualification round to gold to get all the cars from this.

Fuck you Polyphony Digital for making the requirements for getting the car gold instead of bronze for participation. Absolute murder on a controller. Oy.

dubc35

Best times will be in the 1:30's. I will only be able to manage 1:31.xxx. I think the cut off for the top 32 in the us will be around 1:31.5.

You're at 1'31.4xx or something now aren't you?

e* nvm, I think it was 1'33.xx. My region had 1'31.4xx as the top time so far.

paskowitz

You're at 1'31.4xx or something now aren't you?

e* nvm, I think it was 1'33.xx. My region had 1'31.4xx as the top time so far.

Yeah that was after about 1 hour of work. I am really struggling with the middle and final sectors. I absolutely own the first sector, no more than .1 behind. But after that it all goes wrong. I always loose a lot of time in the second to last corner. I will make it to 1:31... just. Getting closer to 30 is going to be very very very tough for me.

I have to be honest, I am really quite surprised at the pace of a lot of people. During NRL races I am usually first or second because I messed up or my strategy was bad. It seems I am not the best at putting down that one killer lap, just consistent decent laps.

Mobius 1

I need to plug in the wheel and improve the times. I did a lousy run for golds last night but times stand to be improved by a lot.

Motegi looks and plays great, can't wait for the DLC package.

Niks

Maybe if they didn't require gold for the cars, I wouldn't bitch so much. The bronze and silvers are doable on a controller. But these golds are pure murder. I've gotten up to the last two golded. But 8-4 is stupid hard because it requires you to sling shot the car while it's unstable which seems damn near impossible with a controller.

Finally. After like 1,000 attempts I finally get gold on 8-4. Didn't have to get past the first or second car just get close to them. Hurrah, yippie. Leaves the last/qualification round to gold to get all the cars from this.

Fuck you Polyphony Digital for making the requirements for getting the car gold instead of bronze for participation. Absolute murder on a controller. Oy.

lol, they were pretty easy for me with the DS3.
:p

Kaze13

I put in maybe 30 minutes into the final round and I can see where I may be able to pull in 1 more second from my time. However, a 1:31??? That's work and I hope I can get there. Starting inFamous 2 is NOT gonna help...

lol, they were pretty easy for me with the DS3.
:p

Likewise. Took a try or two on each. They are not any harder to gold than the rest. But if you are having trouble, try downloading the ghosts

edit: I do agree on getting the cars on bronze though. Reward those that try.

TheSeks

Bronze on 8-5 and all I get is a lousy uniform that I nor my army of Stigs will wear.

ASDFKAJDLFALKJFADLKJFAJFLAJSLFDKALJFDLKJAKJDFAKLJFALKAJ;;;; *bangs head into keyboard* Gold all the others and get a bronze on this one and slip-slide the car through a bronze, barely keeping it on track since it understeers and wants to slide off track with TCS off and ABS at 1. On a controller.

WHYYYYYYYYY are the requirements for the cars Gold, PD. WHYYYYYYYYY.

TheSeks

^ Leave tc at 7.

If I do that the car goes slower, surely? I didn't need to mess with TCS at all in 8-1 and 8-2 and those were surprisingly EASY to gold. 8-3 I had to mess and struggle with but got it after like 25 attempts. 8-4 was insane. 8-5 seems IMPOSSIBLE no matter what I do to get around the controller turning limitation for speed. :/

l2ounD

I managed to just sneak into the 1:31s. Still havent figured the last corner well, always behind the top ghosts from the start. If I can get a super tight run, hopefully can push.. 1:31.7s

Cutoff is going to be crazy though.. Last time I was running till just about when they were counting down the timer. People were all jumping up and down the leaderboard. It was nuts!

Kaze13

I managed to just sneak into the 1:31s. Still havent figured the last corner well, always behind the top ghosts from the start. If I can get a super tight run, hopefully can push.. 1:31.7s

Cutoff is going to be crazy though.. Last time I was running till just about when they were counting down the timer. People were all jumping up and down the leaderboard. It was nuts!

You were at position 15 in US last I checked last night.

ruttyboy

Had a go at the new challenges last night. That GT-R in round seven, what the hell is wrong with it? The blurb reckons they’ve taken 250kg out of it, feels more like they’ve replaced the wheels with rudders. Any but the slightest application of the throttle in a corner and it crabs sideways immediately, the brakes are shit and it seems to float around all over the place like an old Volvo estate or something. Not saying the challenges are unfair or difficult, just that if the real car handled like that I’d be looking for a refund!

The round 8 challenges are fun. A weird thing though, the Le Mans one, I don’t know Le Mans well (I avoid it if possible) but I really don’t remember that part of the track, maybe it’s the lighting or something, but it looks like a version from the 60’s or something.

Also, no experience with Eau Rouge so that was an amusing learning curve :D

As for the Motegi challenge, in the time I had I got it down just into the 1:33s but with a really messy lap, I think I actually powerslide through turn one :) There’s a couple of corners that I know I’m doing totally wrong but I don’t want to start following the leader ghost until I’ve had a lot more time learning by myself. Was very surprised that getting into the 1:33s put me inside the top 300, even a late 1:34 got me in the top 400. I guess more people are having trouble either getting through the preceding challenges or putting together a full lap rather than one corner they can repeat ad infinitum.

Have been able to catch up so far, will try to put in some laps before the tournament ends. Twin Ring though ... ouch, tough track. So basically, good choice then. ;)

I'm not a contender btw. Don't have the time, and wouldn't get into a real powerful racecar in real life even if I did win. I'm fine with humble tuned hired things on an occasional tourist day at the Ring (preferably a quiet, dry one) ... ;) In fact, even that scares me a little (well, as it should, it's not like it isn't dangerous, plenty of accidents there especially on busy days).

My PSN is niwrA

andylsun

Phew, Gold on 8-5. 1.34.9 - in the 600's on the leaderboard, but that may be for my region only.

Terrible compared to some on here, but gives me a base to work with. I'm using a Driving Force Pro, manual gearbox, with TC set to off, and ABS set to 1 and everything else off. ABS off is a bit of a disaster, as it's too easy to lock the fronts.

What setup is everyone else using on 8-5?

ruttyboy

Phew, Gold on 8-5. 1.34.9 - in the 600's on the leaderboard, but that may be for my region only.

Terrible compared to some on here, but gives me a base to work with. I'm using a Driving Force Pro, manual gearbox, with TC set to off, and ABS set to 1 and everything else off. ABS off is a bit of a disaster, as it's too easy to lock the fronts.

What setup is everyone else using on 8-5?

Same settings as yourself here. I think you'll find that 'everything off but ABS at 1' is the default setup for most.

l2ounD

Anyone use the ASM, I saw some top times use the Active Steering set to strong.
I tried it with my last time and I couldnt really tell what it did except for the wheel would shake at certain points.
It didn't seem to hurt my time so I think ill leave it on.

Anyone use the ASM, I saw some top times use the Active Steering set to strong.
I tried it with my last time and I couldnt really tell what it did except for the wheel would shake at certain points.
It didn't seem to hurt my time so I think ill leave it on.

ASM isn't active steering. Active steering corrects your steering. Basically what you turn isn't actually what's being told to the car.

ASM is active stability management, and I don't think they allow that to be used do they?

paskowitz

Down to 1:32.4 with a mistake at the second to last corner. I brought my times down from like a 1:33.3 in about 30 minutes. Active Steering really helps. I feel like I am cheating. I think I will be able to make it to about 1:31.7 by the end of the week based on my progress. Then things get tough and every little throttle and brake input count.

Arcteryx

Same settings as yourself here. I think you'll find that 'everything off but ABS at 1' is the default setup for most.

Yep, that's how I usually drive. Last I checked this morning I was ~300th, still a fair amount back, but I'm happy with that for now with just the controller.

Top Bottom