• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

GatorBait

Did GTA4 do something awesome with buy property that was different the other GTA games? The last GTA I have played is San Andreas and buying property was mostly shallow and pointless; it effectively boiled down to just buying new save points.

If that is all it was in GTA4, I would say that nothing of significant value was lost. A new "vibrant economy" could end up being a lot more intriguing than property in the long run.

Derrick01

Banned
Did GTA4 do something awesome with buy property that was different the other GTA games? The last GTA I have played is San Andreas and buying property was mostly shallow and pointless; it effectively boiled down to just buying new save points.

If that is all it was in GTA4, I would say that nothing of significant value was lost. A new "vibrant economy" could end up being a lot more intriguing than property in the long run.

You didn't buy any property in GTA 4. You unlocked various safe houses throughout the story (maybe bought a house or two I don't remember) but they were mostly for saving or watching TV.

Raptomex

I'm guessing that's why they got rid of it. Also because of the auto save feature. That's what makes sense to me. But still, it would have been nice to have it.

TheNatural

My Member!

Truth. Complaining about buying 'property' - which was nothing more than a savepoint in past games - is pointless. You couldn't even do anything with it. I'm interested in seeing if Rockstar does anything to keep the player playing AFTER the main story is done. It's always awkward at the end of GTA games. You do the big final mission, the game is over, and then you get some post story phone call or something and ... that's it. I would like to see them keep it going in some way.

If you've seen some of the images from the magazine, it's not outside the realm of possibility. There's one in particular with a view of the city and mountains in the background and just makes it all look enormous.

I remember SA and RDR being really big, if GTA5 is as big as these games+GTA4, then WOW

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
When's the trailer?

actual_1352151155.jpg

Fjordson

That's sort of how I feel...buying property and being able to workout in a gym are two features I see mentioned a lot that I'm mostly apathetic towards.

RDR probably has the best Rockstar storyline, but I dunno if it's written by the same team.
Definitely Dan Houser (with Lazlow writing stuff like the newspapers and silent films) but it was co-written with Michael Unsworth. GTA IV and the episodes were co-written by Houser and Rupert Humphries.

Interestingly enough, Michael Unsworth wrote some of the smaller stuff in GTA IV like the in-game internet and is credited with "dialogue". Not sure how much of it he did.

I've read claims that RDR is as small as 8 square miles to as big as 30 square miles. I don't know what to believe. I wish I had a copy of it to figure it out.

On an unrelated note...

How will it work with 3 characters if you're in a mission and the one you're playing as is about to die and you know you can't escape, so you switch to a new guy? Will the first guy die or will he magically get healthy?

You can only switch characters whenever you want to when off mission. During missions there are specific points when you are allowed to switch. In the GI article Michael rappelled through a window to grab someone who was being interrogated by the IAA(CIA) Trevor was flying a helicopter and Franklin was sniping from the helicopter. At that point you could either switch to Franklin and snipe the guys surrounding Michael, or stay as Michael and shoot them up close while the AI Franklin snipes them.

Hope that made sense.

MormaPope

Banned
The "playing as both the protagonist and antagonist" description is very interesting. Who will turn or flip in the trio of protagonists? Michael has a family, so if the FIB or CIA equivalent finds out about his activities will he turn on his group for his family?

Franklin has the potential of being caught and flipped as well, since he doesn't really have emotional ties to Michael or Trevor he could end up looking after himself.

Trevor becoming a uncontrollable monster could bring down the entire group, what if he kills Franklin? If Michael and Franklin become good friends or a really competent duo would Trevor murdering Franklin make Michael and Trevor enemies?

Trevor coming after Michael and his family would be awesome dynamic. There's so much potential for the story and these characters, Rockstar has laid groundwork for a really awesome story.

Raptomex

The "playing as both the protagonist and antagonist" description is very interesting. Who will turn or flip in the trio of protagonists? Michael has a family, so if the FIB or CIA equivalent finds out about his activities will he turn on his group for his family?

Franklin has the potential of being caught and flipped as well, since he doesn't really have emotional ties to Michael or Trevor he could end up looking after himself.

Trevor becoming a uncontrollable monster could bring down the entire group, what if he kills Franklin? If Michael and Franklin become good friends or a really competent duo would Trevor murdering Franklin make Michael and Trevor enemies?

Trevor coming after Michael and his family would be awesome dynamic. There's so much potential for the story and these characters, Rockstar has laid groundwork for a really awesome story.
I didn't know this. So we may be killing one character off?

Raptomex

That could happen, Dan Houser also said the player would know of things that other characters wouldn't. One of the characters being an informant would definitely make things really tense.
I hope they all have similar abilities. I understand Trevor is able to fly right off the bat, but if we kill him off I want to be able to fly with the other 2. I basically don't want basic functions removed.

Maximus.

I am so excited for this game. It does suck we can't buy property but I'm guessing they will have some way for us to invest money and get a hefty return or lose it all haha. Also I hope the music selection goes back to its superior routes. Didnt like the soundtrack for GTA 4 compared to San Andreas and vice city.

I'd like it if they expand on safehouses more. Let us store weapons and stuff. One thing I really like is when games have your base of operations expand as you progress. Freedom Fighter, for example, had the hub area become filled with more and more allies, as well as a build up of munitions laying around. Hell, even Vice City had minor items appear in your mansion after doing certain side missions.

Property was a Vice City thing more than any other game. At a certain point in the game a bunch of businesses became purchasable, and a few of them had whole new sets of missions you'd complete to get them running better and earning more money for you. Those were some of the best missions in the game, like the bank heist in the Malibu Club missions. You could also just buy new houses around the city, which weren't really anything more than extra savepoints and garage space, but that isn't exactly a bad thing.

Diaz's mansion is still the best safehouse in the GTA series, although you get that through a main mission so it doesn't really count as buying property.

Dragnet

I guess a lot of you didn't play Vice City Stories. That's where the buying property really comes from. It went beyond buying safehouses and actually buying a plot of land which you then chose to develop whatever way you wanted from a set of options. Brothel and other criminal stuff if I remember correctly. Earned you cash and got you a few bonuses like cars too I think. Edit: Read this to get clued up!

Was a lot of fun, it is a shame it hasn't featured in a full fledged GTA yet but hopefully the Housers are cooking up something awesome.

Raptomex

I guess a lot of you didn't play Vice City Stories. That's where the buying property really comes from. It went beyond buying safehouses and actually buying a plot of land which you then chose to develop whatever way you wanted from a set of options. Brothel and other criminal stuff if I remember correctly. Earned you cash and got you a few bonuses like cars too I think.

Was a lot of fun, it is a shame it hasn't featured in a full fledged GTA yet but hopefully the Housers are cooking up something awesome.
Truly an underrated or at least overlooked game. Also, money was auto deposited. I like that the best. You no longer had to go to each business to collect.

TheNatural

My Member!
Truly an underrated or at least overlooked game. Also, money was auto deposited. I like that the best. You no longer had to go to each business to collect.

They should be released on digital download of some kind, not many people had a PSP, or moved on from the PS2 by the time the ports were released.

Raptomex

They should be released on digital download of some kind, not many people had a PSP, or moved on from the PS2 by the time the ports were released.
I'd like to see the PS2 versions come to PSN. They're porting the others which I don't mind. But I have the others for Xbox and PC and LCS and VCS were PSP and PS2 exclusives so it would be nice to get it on PSN.

UrbanRats

Yeah properties like they were, weren't mindblowing, but they could've expanded on the concept.
Also most of the activities in open world games are not much more than time consuming gimmicks anyway, it's the nature of the beast.. and it goes for all the open world action games i've played.
But again, i'm really curious to see how they've sorted the issue out, since the GI didn't say much.

Looking forward to the IGN impressions on monday.

Empire building and taking over the world is a very 80's concept.
I think that it fit those games but has since gone out of style.

Since they've gone more in the direction of realistic crime drama, I wouldn't expect it ever again, tbh. For the simple reason that there's no a lot of depth to it. It's an artificial mechanic.

-----

Also: very interested if the other outlets have new info/screens.
I don't think so but ShortList had that exclusive one so perhaps each of the int'l outlets got an exclusive shot too!

abundant

There will be a huge media blowout on Monday. Multiple euro Gaming magazines that visited R* will be posting their interviews/impressions on Monday too.

While the info is more or less going to be the same as GI, it's going to be fun going over every preview and finding new little tidbits. Man I love the GTA Hype Train, there's nothing else like it.

Raptomex

Empire building and taking over the world is a very 80's concept.
I think that it fit those games but has since gone out of style.

Since they've gone more in the direction of realistic crime drama, I wouldn't expect it ever again, tbh. For the simple reason that there's no a lot of depth to it. It's an artificial mechanic.

-----

Also: very interested if the other outlets have new info/screens.
I don't think so but ShortList had that exclusive one so perhaps each of the int'l outlets got an exclusive shot too!
I guess. But doesn't the mob still does this type of stuff to a certain extent, fronts, illegal businesses, etc.? I don't think it was completely necessary to remove it altogether. But I am interested in this economy feature whatever it may be.
While the info is more or less going to be the same as GI, it's going to be fun going over every preview and finding new little tidbits. Man I love the GTA Hype Train, there's nothing else like it.
I love seeing the fan analysis. Especially of trailers.

I guess. But doesn't the mob still does this type of stuff to a certain extent, fronts, illegal businesses, etc.? I don't think it was completely necessary to remove it altogether. But I am interested in this economy feature whatever it may be.

Let's take a recent movie, for example, The Departed.

Costello is the head cheese but he usually is going from place to place doing business deals.
He doesn't get his hands dirty. He operates the business while everyone else kills, steals, etc.

To have it be a well done gameplay mechanic you'd have to constantly "manage your empire" which personally, I don't think is fun at all.
It'd be like an RTS game or dialogue based game like Mass Effect. It'd be a big change in formula.

GTA is about driving, shooting, and American satire. Not running errands or crafting the world you play in.

Rather Rockstar has gone in a more modest direction by letting you play as smaller criminals who possess a smaller chunk of the world they inhabit.
They've also brushed with realism by having your character be caught by authorities (Niko by Liberty Paper in IV, Michael by the FIB in V).
But there are bigger fish to fry than you, so they use you, and let you off of the hook and allow you to continue being a under-the-radar criminal.

I'm not saying they can't make a game with empire building but it would come at a big opportunity cost - that development time can be spent elsewhere,
I think better spent elsewhere on things like side-activities, in-world details, and a more polished shooting mechanics.

I really don't give a damn about properties. I'm actually liking the idea of these characters being settled. Having Michael come back to his family home, and the redneck guy living in his trailer... I don't think it would make much sense for him to want to move into a big swish property. I like to play the characters naturally and it seems he'll always be trailer trash.

Which is interesting in and of itself; they touch on it a bit in the article the juxtaposition between Nico being a good guy in the story (as much as is possible in that line of work) and then shooting rocket launchers at grannies (if you so wish). I'll definitely try and play to the characters personalities a bit.

Raptomex

Let's take a recent movie, for example, The Departed.

Costello is the head cheese but he usually is going from place to place doing business deals.
He doesn't get his hands dirty. He operates the business while everyone else kills, steals, etc.

To have it be a well done gameplay mechanic you'd have to constantly "manage your empire" which personally, I don't think is fun at all.
It'd be like an RTS game or dialogue based game like Mass Effect. It'd be a big change in formula.

GTA is about driving, shooting, and American satire. Not running errands or crafting the world you play in.

Rather Rockstar has gone in a more modest direction by letting you play as smaller criminals who possess a smaller chunk of the world they inhabit.
They've also brushed with realism by having your character be caught by authorities (Niko by Liberty Paper in IV, Michael by the FIB in V).
But there are bigger fish to fry than you, so they use you, and let you off of the hook and allow you to continue being a under-the-radar criminal.

I'm not saying they can't make a game with empire building but it would come at a big opportunity cost - that development time can be spent elsewhere,
I think better spent elsewhere on things like side-activities, in-world details, and a more polished shooting mechanics.
I like the "rags to riches" theme they had in the GTA 3 series. They said way back when IV would be "rags to better rags" which was cool. I liked the change. But as they stated for V, "pursut of the almighty dollar" sounds like they're going back to their 3D roots.

Also, anyone know what time the IGN media blowout thing is supposed to happen?

rataplein

i would love to find in the desert some coke and money bags and many dead bodies, a deal gone bad. something like no country for old men. and then a psycho follows you for a while.

sytadel

Probably been asked before. Do you think it is possible to play through the entire game without changing to another character at all? I won't do it, but playing through the game game three times as each character without swapping would be an interesting approach.

I just realized all the side-activities they've announced are related to Michael.

Wonder what the others' activities will be?

------

Hey Tuna, you going to make good on this?

Who are you, his mother?

That permaban bet also applies to keltickennedy.

Plus, I'll make a permaban bet with Buckethead that San Fierro and Las Venturas are in this game.

UrbanRats

That is really the source of most of the fan complaints.
R* has shifted gear this gen (not only with GTA, but all their games) and some people still have to (or don't want to) catch up with it.
It applies to them refusing to compromise with the fat/thin mechanic, too- it's not alright to simply have you go on a marker and press a button to become fat or thin, they have to adjust every detail around it, as i said in an earlier post, to reflect that change.

I think it's something that has worked against them in GTA4, because there was a clash of realism and old style mechanics, that made for an alive world and boring ass game, and got better in RDR were they experimented more with this idea; i think this 3 characters thing is really a winning move for them, as it can eliminate a lot of downtimes, give a lot of variety, but keep that immersion and great sense of context intact.

Love it or Hate it, it's a very unique approach, that is hard to simply mockup or replicate, without a particular vision and a buttload of monies, contrary to the Ps2 games, that saw a lot more direct competitors.
It's no more simply a game of shoving in more content, but it's about doing it while mantaining an incredibly solid sense of place and context to everything.

Whether you like it or not, i think it's good for the genre, because it pushes competition to go and try their things (as we've seen in Just Cause, Saint's Row or Sleeping Dogs, this being the closest one) giving us a more varied panorama of open world action games.

UrbanRats

Probably been asked before. Do you think it is possible to play through the entire game without changing to another character at all? I won't do it, but playing through the game game three times as each character without swapping would be an interesting approach.
No it's not.
MattBertz said as much on Twitter. ;)

Many missions involve only one character, some involve 2 and only some have all 3 of them, and even then, you can't switch between them at exactly any time.

When in the open world, outside of a mission, you can however switch to your liking or stay on one character (AFAIK).

abundant

I doubt it. There's bound to be character specific missions, to flesh out their stories.

Many missions involve only one character, some involve 2 and only some have all 3 of them, and even then, you can't switch between them at exactly any time.

This too. Like in the mission GI saw, you had to be Michael at the start.

Mikey Jr.

"Los Santos in GTA V is bigger than the worlds of RDR, San Andreas, and GTA IV combined."

I refuse to believe this.

Not only that, but its BIGGER.

That is crazy. The only way I would believe this is if there was a light and dark world, and those 2 combined were more, lol.

But yeah, that is fucking insane. Anyone know how big skyrim was in relation to those gta games?

UrbanRats

"Los Santos in GTA V is bigger than the worlds of RDR, San Andreas, and GTA IV combined."

I refuse to believe this.

Just Cause 2 is far bigger than that, yet most of it are repeated assets (not that i complain about it).
I mean there are many ways to "cheat" on the size of your map, be it an empty desert, including the water and sky volumes, etc etc.

I've read claims that RDR is as small as 8 square miles to as big as 30 square miles. I don't know what to believe. I wish I had a copy of it to figure it out.

I just had a go at measuring it myself, get somewhere like 22 square miles of explorable region based on the train tunnel being ~0.7 miles long. The official map is about a 52 square mile rectangle but the majority of it isn't actually reachable.

Interestingly that means the official rectangular RDR map is actually big enough to fit the size of RDR, San Andreas and GTA IV in at once. :p.

Top Bottom