• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Derrick01

Banned
You shut your filthy whore mouth! No, but seriously, free roam MP in GTA IV is the only multiplayer I've ever gotten into

The thing is what little was in GTA 4's single player was taken out of the free roam, same with RDR. At least RDR added the ability to do the card/dice games in through DLC later on. But in GTA 4 there was nothing to really do in free roam. I'm really hoping everything that's in 5 will be in free roam.

MMaRsu

Banned
Dan Houser. I haven’t seen “Treme.” I never even saw “The Wire.” One of my weird disciplines is that I don’t really watch a lot of those shows, if they relate to what we do. I only watched a tiny bit of “The Sopranos.” No “Boardwalk Empire.” No “Breaking Bad.” Wherever it’s too close to crime, gangster, underbelly fiction, and it’s supercontemporary, I decided, for professional reasons, I have to avoid it.

Lol what a dumbass discipline. Shows how arrogant he really is.

harrytang

GTAV shouldn't take inspiration from anything, that's the whole point Houser is trying to make.

I disagree. This game has always been filled with pop culture references turned on their heads. If they not on the pulse of current entertainment how can they make fun of it or incorporate it? My only guess is that the other artists in the game stay current on modern shows and work into the game. Maybe not major influences but certainly plenty of nods. I'm sure the staying award from breaking bad, the wire, ect not company policy.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Why wouldn't you watch The Wire, Breaking Bad etc? You don't have to lift anything from them you know.

maybe it would do them some good. Maybe they can move beyond recreating Heat and Carlito's Way every time.

I disagree. This game has always been filled with pop culture references turned on their heads. If they not on the pulse of current entertainment how can they make fun of it or incorporate it? My only guess is that the other artists in the game stay current on modern shows and work into the game. Maybe not major influences but certainly plenty of nods. I'm sure the staying award from breaking bad, the wire, ect not company policy.

Yeah, Houser won't have complete creative control over everything. It's fine to stay away from influence when writing the story, but I'm pretty sure the rest of the team could say "Hey, for one of the stranger missions we should have an RV in the desert and a guy that looks like Walter White asking for help".

Why wouldn't you watch The Wire, Breaking Bad etc? You don't have to lift anything from them you know.

maybe it would do them some good. Maybe they can move beyond recreating Heat and Carlito's Way every time.

Also, let's not pretend Houser is making up EVERYTHING in a GTA game. Benzies and a couple of hundred/thousand other people are responsible for a lot of stuff.

Lol what a dumbass discipline. Shows how arrogant he really is.

What's arrogant about that? It's not like he's saying that he's a better writer than anyone that's worked on those shows. It just sounds like he doesn't want to have anymore influence on the direction that he takes one of the games. In the past their influences have been very obvious. Whether it be Miami Vice and Scarface with Vice City or Boyz n the Hood and Menace II Society with San Andreas. They're now working in a modern era, so they have a chance to attempt to carve their own stories without being heavily influenced by other works.

It just seems like some people are disappointed because they convinced themselves that they were inspired by Breaking Bad only to find out that the head writer hasn't even seen the show.

Fjordson

Yeah, I don't see how that's arrogant. Sure it's a little extreme to completely avoid all of that, but I'd wager he simply wants to distance GTA from being so obvious with its influences like it was in the PS2 days. Not really about feeling superior, but just a desire to be different.

The thing is what little was in GTA 4's single player was taken out of the free roam, same with RDR. At least RDR added the ability to do the card/dice games in through DLC later on. But in GTA 4 there was nothing to really do in free roam. I'm really hoping everything that's in 5 will be in free roam.
I really hope so also. That shot of the guys racing brought to mind so many ideas. With the variety of terrain, and all of these side activities, it could make multiplayer so much fun if it's all included from the jump.

First thing I want to do is get a bunch of people and race bikes down Mount Chilliad =D

Also, let's not pretend Houser is making up EVERYTHING in a GTA game. Benzies and a couple of hundred/thousand other people are responsible for a lot of stuff.
This is a good point. I remember an interview with him from the past where he talked about how important his co-writers are and that he much prefers having at least one other person to collaborate with and bounce ideas off. So he's not the only guy behind all that.

UrbanRats

Its a good show, but I'm not really sure what inspiration GTA5 could take from it that isn't done better in other things.
It's a crime drama with relatively deep characters, and yet a good quick paced story, and some action in there, too.
Being a TV show, means it's closer to the length of a videogame than a movie is, so watching how a character evolves in the stretch of a TV show with 5 seasons, can really help them flesh out their characters in the length of a 40 hours game.

GTAV shouldn't take inspiration from anything, that's the whole point Houser is trying to make.
Not taking inspiration from "anything" is virtually impossible and doesn't make any sense.
Everything you absorb as a human being inspires you and shapes your art in some way, cutting out only TV shows doesn't make much sense to me.
Unless you're an artistic cleptomaniac that HAS to plagiarize everything you see.

What's arrogant about that? It's not like he's saying that he's a better writer than anyone that's worked on those shows. It just sounds like he doesn't want to have anymore influence on the direction that he takes one of the games. In the past their influences have been very obvious. Whether it be Miami Vice and Scarface with Vice City or Boyz n the Hood and Menace II Society with San Andreas. They're now working in a modern era, so they have a chance to attempt to carve their own stories without being heavily influenced by other works.

They keep showing off the same influences though, Mann's films are still all over their recent GTAs, and in general they tread very common criminal drama tropes, so again, it sounds like he's chasing a supposed artistic purity, that is evidently not there.
Besides, you can watch The Wire and just appreciate and take from it narrative nuances and solutions, without necessarily carbon copy ideas, like they did with Scarface, Carlito's Way and such.

But of course, at the end of the day, i don't give two shits what Dan Houser watches or takes inspiration from, all i can say is that his writing could use a ton of work, and i can't say the same for the authors of those shows.
I'd be more than happy to be shown otherwise, with GTAV, and that's a given.

EDIT: BTW i don't think it's arrogant, just idiotic.

MMaRsu

Banned
Because he tries to do something unique and own? lol.

Yeah because watching something like that means you cant put your own spin on things. What is he afraid he's going to get influenced by other great products?

I guess that means they havent played Saints Row 3 either.

MMaRsu

Banned
That's probably a good thing.

Yeah because looking at what other open world games do better than your own game is probably a bad thing. Remember when GTAIV didn't have mid mission check points?

><

I'm not saying it should be wacky as fuck like SR3. In my opinion SR2 was a much better game. But there are a lot of gameplay elements in Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs that deserve to be looked at.

Fjordson

Yeah because looking at what other open world games do better than your own game is probably a bad thing.

><
I'm being a little facetious, and I don't disagree. I just wasn't a fan of Saints Row 3.

Honestly just reminded me of how much I wanted a new GTA game.

They keep showing off the same influences though, Mann's films are still all over their recent GTAs, and in general they tread very common criminal drama tropes, so again, it sounds like he's chasing a supposed artistic purity, that is evidently not there.

I'd guess that what you just said is one of the reasons why he doesn't want to watch these shows. He understands that it can influence him heavily and he doesn't want that.

I guess that means they havent played Saints Row 3 either.

I hope that that they have. I miss the days when Rockstar would put in jokes about other games. Two-Faced Tanner is a classic.

Our source in the police has informed us that one of our drivers is a strangely animated undercover cop! He's more or less useless out of his car, so we've tagged it with a tracer.

MMaRsu

Banned
Exactly I'm also hoping at a few stabs directed at Saints Row.

something like..come on im not a saint or something like that :p.

Fjordson

Real talk: copy Sleeping Dogs feature where you can control the radio volume while driving. Seems like a throwaway thing, but I thought it was a nice touch.

MMaRsu

Banned
Saints Row is so far beneath this franchise that I hope they don't even acknowledge it. GTA is the NBA and Saints Row is the WNBA.

At least acknowledge that both Saints Row and Sleeping Dogs have gameplay elements that would feel great in a GTA game. They need to get with the times because going back to IV now after playing those two games is like playing a clunky ps2 game.

Fjordson

Saints Row is so far beneath this franchise that I hope they don't even acknowledge it. GTA is the NBA and Saints Row is the WNBA.
Agreed.

Derrick, what did you think of Sleeping Dogs? It didn't blow me away, but I saw it through to the end. Thought it was fun for the most part.

Derrick01

Banned
Agreed.

Derrick, what did you think of Sleeping Dogs? It didn't blow me away, but I saw it through to the end. Thought it was fun for the most part.

Pretty much my feelings too. I didn't love it like Gaf did for that first month when it's all we could talk about but it was solid fun. It really needed a lot more things to do on the side. Good and plentiful side content seems to be something that plagues most open world/sandbox games since San Andreas blew everyone away.

UrbanRats

I'd guess that what you just said is one of the reasons why he doesn't want to watch these shows. He understands that it can influence him heavily and he doesn't want that.
Well if it's a personal flaw of his, that's another story, not much i can say about that; speaking in general, i don't find it to be a brilliant way of approaching the issue.

Real talk: copy Sleeping Dogs feature where you can control the radio volume while driving. Seems like a throwaway thing, but I thought it was a nice touch.
Didn't know you could do that (and i've almost 100%'d the game).
I loved Saint's Row 2 and 3, it goes in a different direction than GTA, which is great.

I bought Saints Row 2 because it was cheap and couldn't be bothered to finish it. And I played the demo of Sleeping Dogs, because I had heard the name a couple of times, and it shocked me! It shocked me because I couldn't believe it wasn't a budget title. The movement of the player was truly dreadful, like a drunk cameraman.

UrbanRats

I bought Saints Row 2 because it was cheap and couldn't be bothered to finish it. And I played the demo of Sleeping Dogs, because I had heard the name a couple of times, and it shocked me! It shocked me because I couldn't believe it wasn't a budget title. The movement of the player was truly dreadful, like a drunk cameraman.

Saying this in a GTA thread is hilarious.

Sky Chief

Because he tries to do something unique and own? lol.

Maybe he should watch these. Who cares if he's trying to do his own thing? The characters and story in each of his games have been trite bullshit. These games could be so much better with some decent writing.

Sky Chief

It's a crime drama with relatively deep characters, and yet a good quick paced story, and some action in there, too.
Being a TV show, means it's closer to the length of a videogame than a movie is, so watching how a character evolves in the stretch of a TV show with 5 seasons, can really help them flesh out their characters in the length of a 40 hours game.

Not taking inspiration from "anything" is virtually impossible and doesn't make any sense.
Everything you absorb as a human being inspires you and shapes your art in some way, cutting out only TV shows doesn't make much sense to me.
Unless you're an artistic cleptomaniac that HAS to plagiarize everything you see.

Besides, you can watch The Wire and just appreciate and take from it narrative nuances and solutions, without necessarily carbon copy ideas, like they did with Scarface, Carlito's Way and such.

But of course, at the end of the day, i don't give two shits what Dan Houser watches or takes inspiration from, all i can say is that his writing could use a ton of work, and i can't say the same for the authors of those shows.
I'd be more than happy to be shown otherwise, with GTAV, and that's a given.

EDIT: BTW i don't think it's arrogant, just idiotic.

This one million times

beason52

Neo Member
I can see sitting out Boardwalk Empire and Breaking Bad (and I absolutely love BB) but The Wire?
Unless he has an inability to avoid influence from outside sources, wtf is he doing. No offense but that just seems arrogant and/or ignorant.

Just saying. I love GTA.

MormaPope

Banned
Wow, I thought of something that hasn't really been brought to this discussion.

Since Michael's wife is a shopaholic, that would mean any money you get as Michael would be diminishing. Imagine completing a mission or heist only for Michael's wife to blow it on a new car or designer clothes.

Trevor binging on drugs also means money would be spent, when you're not playing as Trevor I can see him being a money hog and wasting it on getting high.

And with the comment on the in-game economy, the more heists you complete could put businesses out of business. Imagine seeing a bank or diamond shop being closed after you rob them.

GQman2121

Banned
I hear complaints about the shooting in Sleeping Dogs, but honestly, I feel like the guns all feel and sound great and are all very diverse in the way they handle. The AI is bare bones and flat nonexistent in shootouts; however, the way enemies react to being shot is impressive and gives a little weight to the after effect of taking a life. The game is bloody as shit, which I found enjoyable.

The only drawback to the combat and driving are the controls. I don't want to fire a weapon with RB/R2. And I definitely do not want to gas a car with RB/R2. The fact that you can't change this on consoles is abhorrent to me in a game that is likely 30+ hours long.

Hopefully, Rockstar will continue to offer their two basic layouts of control because the Classic scheme in GTA IV is right up my alley. I do not mind holding R1 and firing with L1 at all.

The driving in Sleeping Dogs is an entirely different beast. In my opinion, it's flat out poor. I can understand why some people may prefer that style of driving to what was found in the last GTA, but for me, GTA IV may be the most underrated racing game - on or off line - of all time. I found it to be that good in certain situations. The GI article makes it sound as if they've heard the criticisms and are going to hopefully find a balance between the two by adding additional physics. I trust they know what they're doing.

Anyway, what's the deal with reposting and discussing the images in the NYTimes Q&A? There's definitely higher res versions of both of those shots out there.

Dragnet

I find the lack of mention of 3 protagonists a huge red flag.

This was posted a year ago, they were probably far from ready to show off that mechanic. Not the first time Rockstar hasn't shown everything they've got to show. The mention of a ton of interior areas makes sense too, especially after the mention of the games size including inside areas.

Top Bottom