• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V Launching Spring 2013 On Xbox 360/PS3 [Officially Confirmed By Rockstar]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lulubop

I never get the PC version of any game I'm excited for anyway. I have a great PC that I love to log into to play Borderlands 2 with a friend, but if it's a game I'm absolutely giddy about, I want to pop that shit into a console and sit back on the couch and get immersed in the big screen with the lights off. Console magic

Oh lord.

UrbanRats

I hope Boris won't pass on the ENB, with this one (since he skipped both Dark Souls and Dishonored. :\ )

It can extend the graphical life of the game quite a bit:
iIiv2SJNj2j5r.png

ircH3TV8CeWy5.png

Infact, i'm a bit afraid the initial graphical impact will be softened by the GTAIV ENB.

antitrop

I hope Boris won't pass on the ENB, with this one (since he skipped both Dark Souls and Dishonored. :\ )

It can extend the graphical life of the game quite a bit:

Infact, i'm a bit afraid the initial graphical impact will be softened by the GTAIV ENB.
The clothes look like MSPaint from that angle, rofl.

But if Borderlands 2 was on the Wii U, the thing I would be most excited about is inventory management: it would be amazing on that, it would just be fantastic.

So make Borderlands 2 360 version compatible with Smartglass and let us use that for inventory management.

Piggus

I never get the PC version of any game I'm excited for anyway. I have a great PC that I love to log into to play Borderlands 2 with a friend, but if it's a game I'm absolutely giddy about, I want to pop that shit into a console and sit back on the couch and get immersed in the big screen with the lights off. Console magic

Wow, cool. I can do the exact same thing on my PC, which is how I've been playing Sleeping Dogs. Literally three mouse clicks and I'm gaming on my TV with my PC with full surround sound through my receiver.

antitrop

Wow, cool. I can do the exact same thing on my PC, which is how I've been playing Sleeping Dogs. Literally three mouse clicks and I'm gaming on my TV with my PC with full surround sound through my receiver.
1080p, FXAA, SSAO, 60fps, HD texturekghlishkjsnbklsng

antitrop

get this pc vs console mess outta here.
I'm a man who can appreciate a game on its merits without all sorts of modern graphical fanciness. Xbox 360 was my primary gaming platform of choice up until a few years ago. I'm also a man who can appreciate all the niceties that modern technology can provide.

If Rockstar gives GTA V as much attention to the PC as United Front Games did with Sleeping Dogs it will be a great time to be a gamer. Provided the game is good in the first place! Which I very much so hope it will be.

xJavonta

Banned
get this pc vs console mess outta here.

I'm not advocating it, but as a primary PC gamer I am saddened to see release windows for the consoles and not PC.

Not gonna go off on a rant about which one is better though, because I was a console gamer nearly all my life and I loved it.

nashb81

Neo Member
Max Payne 3 probably came out on time on PC because it wasn't an open world game like GTA. I think every open world game Rockstar has worked on (except RDR) came out on the PC like six months later. And that totally fucking sucks but it looks like GTA V will be getting the same treatment.

UrbanRats

I'll probably end up double dipping, unless it's like one month or less apart (like AC3).
RDR on 360 was fine, although it had some obvious pop in, but the thing is, with GTA, modding is a big part of the fun for me.
No platform war intended or anything of course, just a personal preference.

If it was, it wouldn't be by too long. Most delays are because the release date was announced when it was a little too early to tell and they were simply hoping they could make it. You don't announce a release in 6 months if you're not confident you can do it.

Something tells me they had a date in mind when they showed the trailer, in 2011, but kept quiet on it; subsequently when they got the usual delay, they didn't had to announce it.
So Spring 2013 may already be in delay territory.

Stat!

Rockstar has produced 3 of my GOTYs this generation (GTAIV, RDR, and LA Noire) while Table Tennis has been one of my favourite games. This is coming from someone who enjoyed Vice City, and didn't like but not hate San Andreas last generation.

I am very excited for GTAV especially since it'll be the last hurrah for consoles it seems.

I hope they learned a lot from RDR's openworld. RDR, despite having vast amounts of open wilderness, still felt alive. Everything about it felt alive. I hope we see the same in GTAV.

I wonder, would Dan Houser write that game then? Actually, did he or any other R* writers assist McNamara on LA NOIRE's script once R* picked that up?

I don't know if they were involved with any assistance on the writing, but Dan and Sam Houser were credited as producers (I think) in the intro.

Striek

Why wouldn't it be used by many people and how is it not the same thing?
Really?

Its not the same thing. The Wii U has a large touch-screen built-in for which you could quickly access the inventory screen and most items. Convenient, time-saving.

Smartglass would require you use one hand and likely have to scroll due to screen size with a phone, or put down the Xbox controller completely with a tablet. You pick up your phone/tablet, you have to put it back down again. Inconvenient, time-wasting.

It wont be used by enough people to bother justifying it since a) game is already out and b) no one will buy the game now just because the inventory system is optionally different. So pointless to implement now. Add questionable utility (and questionable attractiveness of Smart Glass as a whole to begin with), and I just don't see it being popular.

Tagg9

Kinda surprised people didn't expect the PC release to be delayed. That's pretty much the norm nowadays - there's more money in the consoles.

Really?

Its not the same thing. The Wii U has a large touch-screen built-in for which you could quickly access the inventory screen and most items. Convenient, time-saving.

Smartglass would require you use one hand and likely have to scroll due to screen size with a phone, or put down the Xbox controller completely with a tablet. You pick up your phone/tablet, you have to put it back down again. Inconvenient, time-wasting.

It wont be used by enough people to bother justifying it since a) game is already out and b) no one will buy the game now just because the inventory system is optionally different. So pointless to implement now. Add questionable utility (and questionable attractiveness of Smart Glass as a whole to begin with), and I just don't see it being popular.
what kind of mental or physical defect does a person have to have in order for them to waste a meaningful amount of time picking up a tablet?

Also like how somehow the wiiU screen is convenient because it's "large", yet somehow a tablet would be inconvenient.

Fjordson

I think I remember the "written and directed by" credit going solely to McNamara for LA Noire. Though I guess there could be other people who did some uncredited writing. I've heard multiple times before that Sam Houser has done a lot of uncredited writing throughout the GTA series, so I dunno.

Is GTA even relevant anymore?
Sure. Why wouldn't it be?

AzaK

Nintendo can only blame itself. Not because they've failed to secure GTA V for the WiiU, but because, nearly 2 generations later, they've failed to produce an answer to the GTA franchise, either by their hands or through 2nd party effort.
I actually don't think we could blame Nintendo. I imagine Reggie would be doing whatever was in is power to get it on Wii U. In the end, based on what the Take Two CEO said, they probably don't give a fuck about Wii U and Reggie probably wouldn't give them 10's of millions to get it. They will sell zillions anyway.

The Wii U doesnt exactly have the GTA demographic. It would be more of a risk devoting development costs to a new system. I mean sure it will sell on the Wii, but not in the numbers it will sell on the PS360.
Regardless the Wii U is a new platform so developing and learning it for such smaller install base seems pointless.
What demographic is Wii U, it's not out yet? It's riding multiple lines for sure but there is a lot of core support so far.

demolitio

I guess console version at launch and will wait until the PC version is $5 a year or two later with good mods. I hate no PC version day 1.

Striek

what kind of mental or physical defect does a person have to have in order for them to waste a meaningful amount of time picking up a tablet?

Also like how somehow the wiiU screen is convenient because it's "large", yet somehow a tablet would be inconvenient.
Any time measured in the seconds is wasteful for an action that only takes seconds to begin with with the default controller. How fast can you put down your controller, pick up your tablet, use it, then put down the tablet and pick up the controller? Slower than just doing it with a controller I'd wager.

Your already holding the WiiU controller. Its much faster. You are not already holding your tablet when you are playing on the X360. Its slower.

I honestly can't believe you're struggling to see a difference.

Y'know, I can understand people being disappointed with GTA's more dramatic, slow paced, faux-simmy approach after San Andreas and Vice City, but what I'm baffled by is that people are going into V with this weird hope that Rockstar might suddenly flip the script on V and turn it into something that competes with Saints Row on it's own level.

I mean, I don't doubt that there are lessons they've learned from GTA4 and the DLC, but if people really expect something wildly different from the level of serious realness present in say, Red Dead Redemption... well, they're bad at pattern recognition, essentially.

Then again I didn't like Sleeping Dogs that much based on the demo, so maybe I'm in the minority for open world stuff

Any time measured in the seconds is wasteful for an action that only takes seconds to begin with with the default controller. How fast can you put down your controller, pick up your tablet, use it, then put down the tablet and pick up the controller? Slower than just doing it with a controller I'd wager.

Your already holding the WiiU controller. Its much faster. You are not already holding your tablet when you are playing on the X360. Its slower.

I honestly can't believe you're struggling to see a difference.

Why do you have to put down your controller? Take right hand off controller, use it to manipulate map or inventory on tablet, put right hand back on controller. Can even do it while left hand is on the stick moving your character or vehicle around.

Fjordson

I mean, I don't doubt that there are lessons they've learned from GTA4 and the DLC, but if people really expect something wildly different from the level of serious realness present in say, Red Dead Redemption... well, they're bad at pattern recognition, essentially.

Then again I didn't like Sleeping Dogs that much based on the demo, so maybe I'm in the minority for open world stuff
Actually, when you consider the mediocre sales of Sleeping Dogs, and the fact that GTA and Red Dead both sold like hotcakes, you're more likely in the majority (I'm with you :p).

In regards to your first point, I agree for the most part, though I think there was somewhat of a shift after the base game of IV. I feel like the DLC episodes were somewhat lighter in tone and had slightly more likable characters (though I actually did like Niko). Seems like a lot of people considered that an improvement. And then Red Dead was an even bigger improvement in that I think Marston is the best protagonist Rockstar's done to this day.

So I guess more GTA IV episodes/Red Dead, but not necessarily Saints Row.

UrbanRats

The last one sold over 20 million units.

20 million units it's not cool, you know what's cool? 20 billion units.

Actually, when you consider the mediocre sales of Sleeping Dogs, and the fact that GTA and Red Dead both sold like hotcakes, you're more likely in the majority (I'm with you :p).

Let's not pretend Sleeping Dogs didn't sell like a GTA or a RDR because of quality issues, it didn't had the "R*" label on it, that was a big part of it.

They were, yeah. Remembering that is partially what sparked the question.

Well, Sam's president now, so he's really doing exec-type stuff now rather than any direct involvement (last game he was properly involved in was GTA IV?). That said, he is meant to be involved in a higher production role with Agent (according to an old GTTV interview with Sony's Jack Tretton).

So if anyone's really absolutely involved on the story side, Dan would be considering he did a fair bit of story stuff (I think, though probably not all of it) for Max Payne 3.

Fjordson

Yeah, he wrote the story. And I guess he co-wrote the dialogue with Michael Unsworth (Red Dead) and Rupert Humphries (GTA IV and DLC episodes).

Tankshell

Also disheartened to see no pc release info with this. But it doesn't really mean anything. PC could just be a month later, not necessarily 6 months later.

Will wait and see what happens then decide if I can wait the additional time...

Squire

Banned
Well, Sam's president now, so he's really doing exec-type stuff now rather than any direct involvement (last game he was properly involved in was GTA IV?). That said, he is meant to be involved in a higher production role with Agent (according to an old GTTV interview with Sony's Jack Tretton).

So if anyone's really absolutely involved on the story side, Dan would be considering he did a fair bit of story stuff (I think, though probably not all of it) for Max Payne 3.

Oh MP3 is definitely a Dan Houser joint in terms of writing. But yeah, like Fjordson mentioned I'm just curious if there was any uncredited help on LA NOIRE. It's a big script and it's all on par with any televised procedural. Although it was also in the works for seven years. If you can write a novel, I can believe McNamara wrote LAN alone.

PC it is. Anything can run that these days.

the PC versions on GTAIII, VC and SA already supports wide screen 16:9/ 16:10 aspect ratios. Add game mods to the mix, and they are the superior versions.

GTA IV on PC is pretty playable too these days. It runs fairly well on onboard intel HD3000 GPU.

[edit]: whoops, just read the red text in the OP.

Also you guys got the wrong brotha.

Racist ass honkey mothafuckas.

y9ymF.jpg

They all look the same to me....

..not black people, just Rockstars wobbly in game character models.
Cutscene characters are to die for, but apart from Max Payne 3 their characters look seriously downgraded when in game.

UrbanRats

They all look the same to me....

..not black people, just Rockstars wobbly in game character models.
Cutscene characters are to die for, but apart from Max Payne 3 their characters look seriously downgraded when in game.
I think (going by the trailer) they did an incredible step forward from GTA4 and episodes, in terms of character art/models.
Already RDR was much better, but this looks like yet a step towards realism.

Anyhow, i suddenly remembered the quote from Sam Houser, around the time of the press release:
"Grand Theft Auto V is another radical reinvention of the Grand Theft Auto universe. We are incredibly excited to share our new vision with our fans."
I wonder how many broken hearts gta will leave behind, this time.

paischtu

Neo Member
Rockstar sure does love spring releases.

Yep, to be honest it is good for them because in that time no other major games are being released. Mostly. No one wants to go up against CoD or Halo in the November Slot. Although I think they would probably have a good chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom