• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 + iCEnhancer mod. Holy mother of god.

Drazgul

Can you just grab and install as many as you want or is there some upper limit before it kills the performance? Or do they even spawn as NPC cars (as opposed to you having to spawn them)? And do they replace the standard cars instead of being added as a new car?

Sethos

Banned
Drazgul said:
Can you just grab and install as many as you want or is there some upper limit before it kills the performance? Or do they even spawn as NPC cars (as opposed to you having to spawn them)? Or do they replace the standard cars instead of being added as a new car?

You replace them with one existing car in-game, so it should appear in its stead.

Installing cars is a fidgety business, you need to install 2-3 at the time, start the game and make sure it isn't crashing and then install a few more - Rinse and repeat. Makes it easier to find out which cars are crashing the game, happens quite often.

And no idea on the performance.

Drazgul said:
Can you just grab and install as many as you want or is there some upper limit before it kills the performance? Or do they even spawn as NPC cars (as opposed to you having to spawn them)? And do they replace the standard cars instead of being added as a new car?

In addition to what Sethos said, you can have the custom car replace one of the cars you can only get via cheat code so that pedestrians won't have them all over the place. I noticed with the Chrysler Crossfire mod, when I drive it, no one else ever has it. I tried another customer car, a Ferrari (I forget the specific mod) and it caused every damn car near me to also be a Ferrari. It's a well known glitch, but one I didn't want to deal with so I removed the Ferrari mod.

Sethos said:

Woah, anyone got a link to this camera mod?

ulpyy.jpg

JSeQJ.jpg

Is that a high res cockpit? or is it just downsampled like crazy? Vanilla GTAIV has some really low res dashboards that just don't hold up with the FPS mod.

Sethos

Banned
Gully State said:
Is that a high res cockpit? or is it just downsampled like crazy? Vanilla GTAIV has some really low res dashboards that just don't hold up with the FPS mod.

It's a custom car, means the cockpit is high-res usually and very detailed.

Sethos

Banned
Had to see how hard it was to install these custom cars, wasn't too bad. Just requires you replace them all because they are so high quality, they just stand out too much.

517807020.png

476623407.png

Veritas_

I finally got 1.25 working on 1.0.7.0, along with First Person mod, simple trainer, and ScRYeD's config. Damn. I meant to just take the game for a spin last night and I ended up playing for about 4 hours just walking around in first person and taking random screenshots. The craziest thing is that when I looked back at my history of screenshots the lighting progressed from morning to night and at a quick glance looked just like any tourist's photo album of their day in NYC. Wild. I've got about 12 shots I wanted to share, all captured at 1080 / max settings and downsized to 720. Like it's been said a million times before, it's just amazing how much detail is in this game. Stunning.

0N3w1.jpg

0ZFTs.jpg

OyvDU.jpg

7qvyL.jpg

FeH43.jpg

I might upload the rest a little later, so I don't flood this thread.

Mohonky

hioh631 said:
Just switched monitors and the game is too dark now. What do I need to change to increase the brightness a tad.
This?

Mine is crushing blacks pretty badly, losing a lot of detail as a result.

Also enabling some sort of AA, what is everyone using?

ScRYeD

Veritas_ said:
I finally got 1.25 working on 1.0.7.0, along with First Person mod, simple trainer, and ScRYeD's config. Damn. I meant to just take the game for a spin last night and I ended up playing for about 4 hours just walking around in first person and taking random screenshots. The craziest thing is that when I looked back at my history of screenshots the lighting progressed from morning to night and at a quick glance looked just like any tourist's photo album of their day in NYC. Wild. I've got about 12 shots I wanted to share, all captured at 1080 / max settings and downsized to 720. Like it's been said a million times before, it's just amazing how much detail is in this game. Stunning.

img
img
img
img

I might upload the rest a little later, so I don't flood this thread.

How my config going for you, if ya want a few more fps (though you won't get much more) go ot the iceconfig file down to
[SHADOW]
FilterQuality=0 = 0 is best quality shadows and 2 is the worst looking shadows
CharacterShadowMultiplier=2.0 = lower this a bit
CarShadowMultiplier=2.0 = lower this a bit

Sethos

Banned
Can anyone recommend me a resource besides gta4-mods.com for high quality custom cars?

I'm thinking of doing the ground works for my own overhaul pack based on 1.0.4.0 and only using high-quality models and use low end cars as well, not replace all the crappy cars in the game with expensive luxury cars which a lot of the packs does, annoys me.

EDIT: By "Low end" I mean cars like this instead of the Blista

324856253.png

689171015.png

DTKT said:
Is that a baked texture or is that in-game with the high-rez mods?
That's a photograph of real life.
Mother of god, this is so impressive...I need the next generation of consoles to crank out these kind of visuals

Mohonky

Sethos said:
Can anyone recommend me a resource besides gta4-mods.com for high quality custom cars?

I'm thinking of doing the ground works for my own overhaul pack based on 1.0.4.0 and only using high-quality models and use low end cars as well, not replace all the crappy cars in the game with expensive luxury cars which a lot of the packs does, annoys me.

EDIT: By "Low end" I mean cars like this instead of the Blista

324856253.png

689171015.png

I used the Volkswagon Corrado V6 as my Balista, suits the cars era. I also agree on hating to use top end cars to replace every model in the city, I usually try and pick something of the same type; era, power, balance.

Whats the story with changing the handling values, you just manually go into the file and copy paste the values or do you have to do them manually?

Also could I get a bit of help with the AA was asking about earlier?

hioh631 said:
Just switched monitors and the game is too dark now. What do I need to change to increase the brightness a tad.
This?

Mine is crushing blacks pretty badly, losing a lot of detail as a result.

Also enabling some sort of AA, what is everyone using?

Sethos

Banned
Yeah, most cars come with handling values by the creator you just copy and paste in, else you could just leave the ones already there if you find an equal replacement.

Oh and that R8 is stunning.

254570188.png
614368520.png

189575638.png
566764131.png

Definitely keeping that.

Anabuhabkuss said:
Tried but to no avail?

Found this though from steamforums

Originally Posted by Jerbs
If you're wanting to downgrade to 1.0.4.0 - to use the new visual mods, you can do the following:

Props go to this guy!

1. Download the 1.0.4.0 patch - I got mine from here. Install the patch over 1.0.7.0.

2. Download RGSG (a Rockstar Social Group tool) from here. Do not run yet!

3. Find your GTAIV folder (usually Steam\steamapps\common\grand theft auto iv\GTAIV) and rename it to something else - failure to rename your original folder will result in you having to re-install the game.

4. Run the RGSG tool - this will create a GTAIV folder.

5. Copy the contents from the GTAIV folder into the folder you renamed in step 3 (your original GTA folder).

6. Rename the folder you changed in step 3 back to GTAIV.

7. Install the mod and run the game

I tried using iCEnhancer with the 'normal' Steam version and then followed the steps above and tried again - BIG DIFFERENCE!

I've followed the couple of different installation instructions, including this one, and I still can't even get in-game with this mod and my Steam version (1.0.4.0). I only get as far as the initial copyright and logos (before the menu) and it seems as if the game just hangs at a black screen. I've tried just hitting enter through it as suggested, but no go.

I haven't sorted through the entirety of this thread, but is anyone else having this problem?

Mexx

Neo Member
Okay, 1.0.7.0 here. Game runs in 20FPS, are there some options to turn off for better framerate? And game looks bad. It has nothing in common with your screenshots:
gtaiv2011072012175606.jpg

gtaiv2011072012173918.jpg

Alien Bob

taken advantage of my ass
scar tissue said:
That's a photograph of real life.
Mother of god, this is so impressive...I need the next generation of consoles to crank out these kind of visuals

In an open world game, no less.

Don't even want to think about how this game would look if they hadn't screwed up the PC port at all.

Mohonky

Sethos said:
Yeah, most cars come with handling values by the creator you just copy and paste in, else you could just leave the ones already there if you find an equal replacement.

254570188.png
614368520.png

189575638.png
566764131.png

Definitely keeping that.

Is it simply the downsampling of the picture that makes your pics come out so smooth?

ScRYeD

Sethos said:

254570188.png
614368520.png

189575638.png
566764131.png

Definitely keeping that.

Give us the link to it :)

did ya get the GTAinside.com link

MMaRsu

Banned
So I read somewhere the guy who makes this mod has been working on a Ps3 compatible version? That would be so sick...

Ofcourse the texture mods and the cars wont work.. or do they?

Sethos

Banned
Here's the first baby steps for my car-pack

155539055.png

Will probably be using the Realistic Handling mod per default for all cars and basically only change the model unless there's a fantastic handling model included. Most of the handling models with custom cars are quite rubbish, so might as well get an authentic feel. Then I'll try and get a well rounded spectrum of cars and hopefully some high quality models, although there's tons of crap and mostly only high-end cars have great models.

Sethos

Banned
Dilly said:
^^

You have a traffic fix for that?

Currently using nothing, starting on a clean slate with a new GTA IV installation ( With all the mods etc. ) then I'll install one car at a time and see which ones crashes, causes traffic bug etc.

Although my initial wish of doing a bunch of lower-end cars might be out the window, there's just not enough quality models of standard cars so I'll scrounge whatever I can and then it'll be higher end cars for the rest of them.

I'm obviously aiming for a Gaf release ( If anyone's interested? ) So I'll gladly take suggestions on quality models with proper handling stats too.

Admiral replacement:

539384129.png

Dilly

Banned
The traffic bug is caused my multiple car mods because of the way the game handles traffic, if you keep adding cars it will eventually happen.

Sethos

Banned
Dilly said:
The traffic bug is caused my multiple car mods because of the way the game handles traffic, if you keep adding cars it will eventually happen.

I know but I'll deal with it when I reach that point. Plenty of mods and fixes for it :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
I heard of some bad optimization for x64 systems causing blue screens of death quite often. Total bs, or is there any truth in this?

Sethos

Banned
Jocchan said:
I heard of some bad optimization for x64 systems causing blue screens of death quite often. Total bs, or is there any truth in this?

Been using this mod for well over 100 hours now and I haven't even seen a single freeze. Sounds like BS, probably some people's computer overheating or they have a borked Windows installation.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Sethos said:
Been using this mod for well over 100 hours now and I haven't even seen a single freeze. Sounds like BS, probably some people's computer overheating or they have a borked Windows installation.
Thank you :)
Damn it, I regret not getting the game for cheap on Steam during the Summer Camp sale :/

WrikaWrek

Banned
Sethos said:
Currently using nothing, starting on a clean slate with a new GTA IV installation ( With all the mods etc. ) then I'll install one car at a time and see which ones crashes, causes traffic bug etc.

Although my initial wish of doing a bunch of lower-end cars might be out the window, there's just not enough quality models of standard cars so I'll scrounge whatever I can and then it'll be higher end cars for the rest of them.

I'm obviously aiming for a Gaf release ( If anyone's interested? ) So I'll gladly take suggestions on quality models with proper handling stats too.

Admiral replacement:

539384129.png

Are you kidding me? I'm watching the clock man, I want that pack, I need it. GIVE IT TO ME

(could you tell me your settings too? Textures, Config...)

Sethos

Banned
Here's my Turismo replacement for the pack

EDIT: Lucky, the vanilla one is above, great comparison :p Even the same colour.

191998845.png

WrikaWrek said:
(could you tell me your settings too? Textures, Config...)

Game settings are mostly High / Very High ( Shadows & Reflection ) with sliders on 70, Vsync off and that's about it. In the screenshot it's actually vanilla textures, believe it or not and I'm using iCenhancer 1.2.5 with H1Vltg3's modification of it and my own tree setting ( See first page ).

Game is running at a smooth 45 average FPS and easily hitting 50-60.

This thread makes me want to upgrade my Q9550+5850 even though for 99% of the games, it runs better than fine (I've been mainly playing Portal 2 and Terraria lately and for those two games my rig is overkill).

imoTEP12 said:
These mods have reinvigorated my love of gta, such a great experience.

I so much agree. I bought 3 different versions of the game, only to quit each version at around 30% completion. Now, I really enjoy just driving around. The city really comes alive and becomes the main character of the game. Sooo much detail, so much content. Just watching the world can be entertaining.

Now that hardware has allowed me to overlook its technical deficiencies, I'm actually enjoying the game's narrative.

Top Bottom