• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1070 is slightly faster than a Titan X and GTX 980 ti, reveals 3DMark benchmark

Real, tangible benchmark data is starting to emerge from both of Nvidia's new Pascal-powered graphics cards, the GTX 1080 and 1070, and it's confirming what their creators have been saying since the announcement. This is a big generational performance jump, so big that the $449/£372 Founder's Edition of the GTX 1070 can outperform the Titan X. You may remember the Titan X from fairy tales - it's the card that only the three richest kings in all the land can afford, carrying a $1000/£850 price tag.

Feeling confident about the heft of your current hardware? Set it against the best VR games on PC and see how your frame rates do, then report back. Godspeed.

Over at Videocardz they've pitted the GTX 1080 and 1070 against both Nvidia and AMD's most powerful cards from the current generation - Maxwell GPUs such as the Titan X, 980 ti and 970 in the green corner, and Fiji/Tonga GPUs such as the R9 Fury X, Fury, 390X and 390 in the red corner. All cards ran 3DMark's Fire Strike benchmark, a hellishly demanding few minutes jam-packed with particle effects, steam coming from every surface, and a very abstract sword fight, and could consequently be ranked in order of their performance score.

While it's no big surprise that the GTX 1080 came up top of the rankings - it's what Nvidia have been saying it should do, after all - the 1070's performance is very impressive by comparison. Here are the full range of cards, in order of score:

vDToi65.jpg

http://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia-gtx-1070-benchmarks?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I'm doing this on my phone can someone paste the image from the link as my phone can't for some reason, thanks

more through the link btw

Sounds like a great value, but we'll see if that pans out for us overseas customers. Wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up used 980TIs for less than a 1070, and many of the 980TI variants are huge overclockers.

Given that the stock 1080 is only like 3% faster than a 980TI at a reasonable overclock of ~1400iMhz, I don't see this being a smart buy in places where Nvidia has chosen to price-hike.

I think this is the card I'll buy. I was thinking of buying a 980ti before these where announced, and then wanted a 1080, but this seems like a way better value.

Kudo

I was thinking of going for GTX 1080 but if 1070 can hold up that well with 1440p I think I'll go for the cheaper choice.
So many hardware purchases this year anyway.

EDIT: Here's the benchmark for those interested:
vDToi65.jpg

Nzyme32

Pretty sure they actually said this would be the case at the nvidia event; Still, good to know that it actually is that fast. I want to see some real benchmarks though, from games particularly at 21.9

Kyonashi

I'm really excited now to upgrade from my Radeon 7870 to a GTX 1070, feels like the leap is gonna be huge.

The 7870 was the card in my first ever build three years ago, but it does feel a little long in the tooth now - I can't run FFXIV or Overwatch at particularly good levels.

What kind of monitors should I be looking at for a screen that will take advantage of the 1070? 4k? Super wide? V/G-Sync (not too sure the difference between those)?

elfinke

Awesome.

Now all they have to do is price it right here in Australia.

I'm keen to grab one but am dreading the price. $1300 for the 1080 (yeah yeah founder edition yadda yadda) doesn't bode all that well for even a $700 1070.

I'm really excited now to upgrade from my Radeon 7870 to a GTX 1070, feels like the leap is gonna be huge.

The 7870 was the card in my first ever build three years ago, but it does feel a little long in the tooth now - I can't run FFXIV or Overwatch at particularly good levels.

What kind of monitors should I be looking at for a screen that will take advantage of the 1070? 4k? Super wide? V/G-Sync (not too sure the difference between those)?

4K is too much for a 1070 in demanding games even now (not even a 1080 is good enough). Go for 1440p if you want an increase in resolution over 1080p. That said, it isn't like the 1070 would be wasted for 1080p, always depends on the game and the settings.
Nvidia cards only support G-Sync, so you'd have to go for that (be prepared for higher prices for monitors with G-Sync support).

You might also want to wait a little to see how AMD's Polaris 10 compares. It won't be quite as fast as the 1070, but might be better value / more in the same price range as your 7870 most likely was. Depends on your preferences of course.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I want to see some benchmarks, but I see myself going with the 1070. The money I save not going 1080 will go towards a new monitor.

Awesome.

Now all they have to do is price it right here in Australia.

They won't. They know they can gouge the market.

I'm guessing $700 AUD for the 1070 non reference, which I'd consider, but probably wait and just add money to the pot for eventual 1080 ti.

Annoying, because I expected it to be more of a replacement for 970, maybe $600 max, then I'd jump in now, upgrade later, but alas it's probably not to be :(

Alexious

Sounds like a great value, but we'll see if that pans out for us overseas customers. Wouldn't be surprised if you could pick up used 980TIs for less than a 1070, and many of the 980TI variants are huge overclockers.

Given that the stock 1080 is only like 3% faster than a 980TI at a reasonable overclock of ~1400iMhz, I don't see this being a smart buy in places where Nvidia has chosen to price-hike.

I'm not really sure where you read that, but it's simply not true. Check out this Hardware Unboxed article showing that GTX 1080 is 28% faster stock-at-stock and still 23% faster when both cards are overclocked.

The difference being that the GTX 1080 in question is obviously the Founder's Edition, which will likely be surpassed by AIB cards. Chances are the end result for maximum overclocking on both cards will still be around 28% performance difference, not trivial at all.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shame about the price as don't want to spend that much. Is there a cheaper version and price? Looks like i'll be waiting for the 1060GTX and then compare to the AMD equivalent when out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
MSRP is quite a bit lower than 980ti, so the 1070 should still be more affordable than even discounted 980tis - they won't get discounted that much before being discontinued.

Grassy

I'm keen to grab one but am dreading the price. $1300 for the 1080 (yeah yeah founder edition yadda yadda) doesn't bode all that well for even a $700 1070.

$1300 AUD for the 1080?? Where did that price come from? I assume PCcasegear.com will start listing the 1080 on Friday or Saturday...i thought they'd be under $1000 though...

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
That's wild. Still going to go 1080 since I'm replacing 2 970s.

But this is insane value and Performence.

witness

Very impressive, getting the itch to build my first PC this year so this is the card I'll go with from the looks of it. Seems like a tremendous value.

MaDKaT

Still leaning 1080 but depending on cooling options I may opt for a 1070 now to replace my 390 until the new cards next year.

elfinke

$1300 AUD for the 1080?? Where did that price come from? I assume PCcasegear.com will start listing the 1080 on Friday or Saturday...i thought they'd be under $1000 though...

I saw an article on kotaku.au that had a leaked retail price list from some retail store. It had the 1080 pegged at $1299. I saw some other retailer leaked that price today, too, so it's looking pretty likely.

Importing from Amazon as many did around the 980 might be an option all over again. Even with the weaker dollar.

Here it is:

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2016/05/another-australian-retailer-is-charging-1299-for-nvidias-gtx-1080/

mark_79

Banned
Was going to get a 1080 but I'm restricted, if you can call it that, to 1920 x 1200 so a 1070 is looking more likely. Will put the savings towards the best cpu I can get.

Importing from Amazon as many did around the 980 might be an option all over again. Even with the weaker dollar.]

Yeah, this is probably my plan, once all the Founders Edition stuff blows over. I feel like 600AUD is my limit for a 1070, and it doesn't look like that's going to be an option with local retailers.

univbee

Wowzers. And I was thinking I'd be stuck on a 970 due to a terrible Canadian dollar, but there's hope yet. Slim hope, since I suspect the CAD price could still be >$600, but fingers crossed.

Kyonashi

4K is too much for a 1070 in demanding games even now (not even a 1080 is good enough). Go for 1440p if you want an increase in resolution over 1080p. That said, it isn't like the 1070 would be wasted for 1080p, always depends on the game and the settings.
Nvidia cards only support G-Sync, so you'd have to go for that (be prepared for higher prices for monitors with G-Sync support).

You might also want to wait a little to see how AMD's Polaris 10 compares. It won't be quite as fast as the 1070, but might be better value / more in the same price range as your 7870 most likely was. Depends on your preferences of course.

I thought the general consensus was the AMD were a bit naff and Nvidia were good right now? Sorry, I don't know much about this kind of scene.

Galava

It's going to be a 550€ card in europe for sure. If I buy one I will wait until the 350-400 ones start to pop up.

Top Bottom