• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1070 is slightly faster than a Titan X and GTX 980 ti, reveals 3DMark benchmark

Hari Seldon

So does that basically translate to, if you're buying in the next few months, buy Nvidia? How long is 'a while'?

You might as well wait for the AMD reveal which is apparently "soon" since this founders edition price shenanigans are going on right now. If AMD launches something close but not beating the 1070 but $150 less than Founders price I might go for it.

Kyonashi

You might as well wait for the AMD reveal which is apparently "soon" since this founders edition price shenanigans are going on right now. If AMD launches something close but not beating the 1070 but $150 less than Founders price I might go for it.

Not worth going Nvidia for G-Sync?

October, best case scenario

Hmm, I think seeing as I'll be spending a lot more time on my PC now Overwatch has launched I'll be wanting to upgrade sooner than that.

As long as no dubious issues like the memory issue with the 970 turn up, this is what I'll be going for. Not buying into any Founders edition shenanigans though.

bathsalts

A card than can drive AAA games at 1440p 60fps for less than $400 is pretty crazy, almost too much card for the people more likely to not have fancy monitors, hopefully those prices come down too.

coughlanio

Given how AMD have been supporting their cards as of late, think I'm going to wait and see what Vega brings to the table. I'd check out Polaris, but I'm already rocking a 970.

FireRises

amazing value, I really want to hold out to see what AMD is offering but you can't deny this is a great showing for nvidia.

I game at 1440p, so either 1070 or 1080 for me (currently have a 970).

mario_O

A card than can drive AAA games at 1440p 60fps for less than $400 is pretty crazy, almost too much card for the people more likely to not have fancy monitors, hopefully those prices come down too.

Well the 1070 reference card is going to cost 450. If you add taxes, here in Europe it will end up costing 500-550 euros. I don't think we'll see it in Europe for less than 400 for a loong time.

I have a 1080p monitor and dont intennd to upgrade for a while so either of these cards 70 or 80 will play games at ultra for a while I gather

Hopefully some good AIBs are out soon after release for less than the ridiculous reference re-branding bullshit with additional power, better cooling and some good factory over clocks. If I go with EVGA again I hope they get shit right the first time unlike with the botch job they did with their first iteration of the over clocked 970's cooling.

OneUh8

Still would like to get a 1080, but maybe I will spend a little more and get a G-sync monitor and get a 1070 instead.

Great benchmarks, but the upgrade isn't right for me at this time(using a 980ti)

That 1080 looks right on the cusp though (right now I can get 55-65 fps in doom on ultra at 3440x1440) so next level of Pascal should be right where I want it

If I was building a new pc I'd totally jump on that 1070 though. Dang

I have a 970, so I'm still eyeing the 1080. That seems like the smarter upgrade, but I'm definitely waiting until the fall for wide availability on the 3rd party vendor versions.

That is simply beastly for $379.

When we'll be able to buy one at $379 though?

I'm interested in one at that price but if we're gonna be waiting until July for a $379 non-reference 1070 then I might try and pick up a used 980 Ti instead for around the same price.

Are there really going to be 1070's at 380? Seeing as how Nvidia is marking up their reference cards to 449, are MSI, EVGA, or Asus really going to sell the 1070 at 380?

I bet if they do it'll be a cheap plastic reference style cooler. Can't see EVGA ACX 1070 being cheaper than the Founders Edition stock 1070.

I hope I'm wrong though. Either way that performance at 450 is about as good as it gets.

Chiggs

Need to see real gaming benchmarks, but if you're going to get a new card, this seems like the best option. I do hope that $379 price point turns out to actually be the case, but for the first few months you do have to wonder if it pans out.

Still not sure who the heck (besides the rich) would plan on buying the 1080 with this option available.

Are there really going to be 1070's at 380? Seeing as how Nvidia is marking up their reference cards to 449, are MSI, EVGA, or Asus really going to sell the 1070 at 380?

I bet if they do it'll be a cheap plastic reference style cooler. Can't see EVGA ACX 1070 being cheaper than the Founders Edition stock 1070.

I'm really having a hard time believing that the 1070 will be found for $379.

Galava

When we'll be able to buy one at $379 though?

I'm interested in one at that price but if we're gonna be waiting until July for a $379 non-reference 1070 then I might try and pick up a used 980 Ti instead for around the same price.

For a couple of months it will be at least $500.

Nice results for the GTX 1070, think I will be picking one of these up.

As I only game at 1080p on a 40" TV a GTX 1080 will be overkill so that will save me money, also I'm not paying the premium for the Founders Edition, so hopefully the 3rd Party cards will be reasonably priced.

I'm expecting the 1080's to be in the £400-£500 range, so I'm hoping the 1070 will be in the £250-£350 range, which for that amount of power, will be very good value.

spuckthew

Finally a worthy upgrade to my 680. The price-to-performance ratio is going to be insane. Hopefully UK retailers won't price gouge too much.

Are there going to be pre-orders for these? And if so, I assume they'll only be for the reference cards?

I'm curious to know when actual stock will appear and what kind of crazy markup we're going to see companies adding to them. Would definitely like one.

urge26

urgh.... I bought a 970 from Newegg back in March for 325. It's sat sealed unopened in my bedroom. Do I Ebay it and wait it out for the 1070?

K' Dash

Finally a worthy upgrade to my 680. The price-to-performance ratio is going to be insane. Hopefully UK retailers won't price gouge too much.

People really expect to buy this card at $379?

giphy.gif

1070 sounding better and better all the time, if they stick to the given price it's great value.

If a possible future 1060 matches the current gen 980, i'll be really happy.

Plasmid

I'm in, $379? You better believe i'm in. I love my GTX 970 but if i can sell that & replace it with a 1070 i can get a 1070 ~$130 total.

Parsnip

And the wait for custom cards remains as difficult as ever.

I'm also extremely worried about where the actual price ends up landing in Finland. It may be great value, but it's still going to be expensive.

Has or does anyone here use a reference card for gaming? I know there are obvious benefits from a cooling perspective for custom cards, but if you're not planning on OCing, are there other significant benefits for custom cards?

that memory overclocking number is interesting
288GB/s x 1.2 (for pascal's better memory compression) = equivalent to 345GB/s for maxwell.

So 980ti performance with 980ti equivalent bandwidth, that's fine by me.

That eases my worries a lot about the 1070 being hopelessly bandwidth bottlenecked due to 256bit bus of gddr5, it's a nice jump over the 224GB/s that the gtx 980 has

Top Bottom