• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1070 is slightly faster than a Titan X and GTX 980 ti, reveals 3DMark benchmark

jrcbandit

While I'm definitely waiting past all this stupid founders bs pricing and waiting to see AMDs cards, I wonder what would be the best upgrade for me? Running 970 x 2 SLI, 1070 SLI would almost be tempting except how horrible Nvidia's drivers have been for the last year or so with incredibly poor SLI support. I may try holding out for the 1080ti/AMD equivalent.

owasog

For 1080P I would say your are safe for 3-4 years. 1440P hard to say, 2-3 depending on the type of games you like. These cards are so overpowered for 1080P its going to be years before engines over stress them.
Don't be so sure. The 970 also seemed overpowered for 1080p at the time, but I had to dial back settings a lot to maintain 60fps.
With the PS4NEO and ONE.5 in the near future, I can imagine devs cranking up the visuals @30fps so GPUs need to be at least twice as fast as those consoles if you want 60fps.

Chiggs

What's cool is that this will help usher in 1440p as the new sweet spot.

1080p has been around too long and I can't wait to be rid of it.

Red Hood

Banned
I expect local retailers to offer it for around €400. If I can find myself a summer job, I'm definitely upgrading. I have a Sapphire 280X now, which I'm hoping to sell for around €150 if possible.

There is one "problem" though, I'm still gaming at 1080/60 so a lot of people will probably say it's overkill, but I don't think I'll see it that way since my current card (understandably) can't max out new games at 60fps. And otherwise downsampling, no? I want to get a 1440/144Hz screen but my budget won't cooperate. Maybe a 1080/144 as a middleground?

Yeah, I'll be mighty tempted to upgrade my 970 to a 1070 or maybe a 1080. My 970 does fine for most games at 1080p but since getting a 1440p monitor last year there are definitely more games where I have to turn some settings down to keep a steady framerate.

Absolutely.

When I got my Gsync monitor last year, I was initially super excited for it being Gsync and all but the fact that its 1440p has probably been the nicest thing from it. Its not an insane jump from 1080p but it is definitely noticeable.

dr_rus

What is this standard edition? Until nvidia or an aib shows us what a $379 card looks like, it doesn't have a $379 msrp.

Radeon R9 Fury doesn't have an official reference board design. Does that mean that it didn't have a $549 MSRP at launch? I don't see why it's so impossible for AIB cards to actually come out at the stated MSRP a couple of weeks after the cards sales start date.

Eiji

I'll be buying a non-reference 1070 and keep it until Vega releases hopefully in October 2016 and if that card can do 4K/60 then I'll ditch the 1070.

New games could get too performance heavy even for the 1070 at 1440p but yea if you are not obsessed with maxing everything out, it should be a good card for a while at that res.

How does this compare against my 780ti 3GB? I am able to run BF4 on ultra settings at 1600p at 60fps (well, shadows down to medium), which to me is crazy. I think the 780ti is around a 970 in terms of performance?

The great thing is that I didn't even pay full price for my 780ti, as I sold off my 3x6970s configuration right at the height of the bitcoin craze and converted some of that cash to a 780ti which was basically the same power.

comrade

I expect local retailers to offer it for around €400. If I can find myself a summer job, I'm definitely upgrading. I have a Sapphire 280X now, which I'm hoping to sell for around €150 if possible.

There is one "problem" though, I'm still gaming at 1080/60 so a lot of people will probably say it's overkill, but I don't think I'll see it that way since my current card (understandably) can't max out new games at 60fps. And otherwise downsampling, no? I want to get a 1440/144Hz screen but my budget won't cooperate. Maybe a 1080/144 as a middleground?

If you can afford it I think it's worth it. Being able to max out games, use AA, and still get over 60 fps is always nice.

Chiggs

New games could get too performance heavy even for the 1070 at 1440p but yea if you are not obsessed with maxing everything out, it should be a good card for a while at that res.

Yeah, that's a good point. Games like Witcher 3 and Dragon Age Inquisition would probably still be a little too demanding.

ZOONAMI

Radeon R9 Fury doesn't have an official reference board design. Does that mean that it didn't have a $549 MSRP at launch? I don't see why it's so impossible for AIB cards to actually come out at the stated MSRP a couple of weeks after the cards sales start date.

Your own post makes it clear that's an entirely different scenario. The reference card price has been what aibs have released around for literally decades. That's part of why it's a "reference" card. If an aftermarket card releases at the "msrp" prices within a month of the reference cards, and isn't a shit plastic blower cooler, I'll eat crow. But only if it isn't a result of NV lowering the price of the reference card to those prices within a month after release, but their statements so far suggest they want the founders cards to be at $450 and $699 for the foreseeable future.

Compsiox

Banned
This is just one benchmark. Do others back this up?

I haven't been paying attention cause I told myself I'm waiting for the 1080ti.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
2 x Titan X here. Holding on to them for now since it'll be a long wait for the 1080Ti / Pascal Titan, but it's getting pretty close.

dr_rus

Your own post makes it clear that's an entirely different scenario. The reference card price has been what aibs have released around for literally decades. That's part of why it's a "reference" card. If an aftermarket card releases at the "msrp" prices within a month of the reference cards, and isn't a shit plastic blower cooler, I'll eat crow. But only if it isn't a result of NV lowering the price of the reference card to those prices within a month after release, but their statements so far suggest they want the founders cards to be at $450 and $699 for the foreseeable future.

What's the price of the NV supplied reference card made by some Albatron or PNY has to do with the stated MSRP of AIB designs? Again, read my example of Fury which didn't have a reference design at all and try to imaging that FE cards don't exist. Because this is what should happen basically: MSRP is the price which is allowing the AIBs to have a healthy margin while getting the components from NV and there's a reason why it's actually even stated during launch. Lowering the price by $100 means getting to a way broader market and just because of this most AIBs will do this once the initial supply of FE cards will run out.

This whole unfortunate FE fiasco may actually end up pretty much the same as most launches did - the first batch will have inflated by demand prices and the next batches will fall down to MSRP. The only difference this time is that AIBs will be the ones who'll get these additional money off the initial inflated prices, not the stores or scalpers.

The only way we can end up with months of higher than MSRP prices is if the supply will be too limited to satisfy the demand for months to come. I can see a possibility of this happening with 1070 but not with 1080.

If gaming benchmarks prove well around Titan X I will be down for 1 from evga or asus. Never been a fan of the reference/founders version that are always blower types.

So the 1070 is a price discounted version of what is already out there while the 1080 is significantly more powerful than anything currently in existence at a retail level.

I'm glad I'm coming from a 660ti so the jump will be huge for me either way.

ghibli99

Very excited for those who held out with 6xx and 7xx cards!

Slightly bummed that I grabbed a 980 Ti this year, but slightly happy that there isn't much difference with the 1070. LOL Looks like I'll be waiting for at least a 1080 Ti before I consider upgrading... at which point, 11xx will be on the horizon. :p

Chiggs

yup, i feel bad about my 390 purchase last month.

As bad as you feel right now, it won't feel nearly as bad as how the folks that buy a pair of 1070s or 1080s feel when HBM2 cards are released late this year/early next.

Talk about being completely outclassed in terms of design and performance.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Would you guys say this is a good investment if you plan to use your PC on a 4K tv?

As bad as you feel right now, it won't feel nearly as bad as how the folks that buy a pair of 1070s or 1080s feel when HBM2 cards are released late this year/early next.

Talk about being completely outclassed in terms of design and performance.

is this true? maybe i shouldn't regret my 970 purchase a couple months ago after all

Would you guys say this is a good investment if you plan to use your PC on a 4K tv?

The 1080 is better for 4K, but even that will not be a 4K with 60 fps card.

Since no one knows when the 1080 Ti will be released, you can take the gamble and wait for the 1080 Ti if you want. If the 1080 Ti is released in the same timeframe as the 980 Ti was, in May/June 2017, you'll be waiting a year from today.

I want to finish Rise of the Tomb Raider soon and I have The Witcher 3 on deck and also I want to go through GTAV this year, so I'll probably end up with a custom 1080 for my 4K TV.

I'm not really sure where you read that, but it's simply not true. Check out this Hardware Unboxed article showing that GTX 1080 is 28% faster stock-at-stock and still 23% faster when both cards are overclocked.

The difference being that the GTX 1080 in question is obviously the Founder's Edition, which will likely be surpassed by AIB cards. Chances are the end result for maximum overclocking on both cards will still be around 28% performance difference, not trivial at all.
Oh, to be clear, yes, the 1080 overclocked retains its lead over the 980TI with no problems, especially if you turn up the fan speed on the founders edition or (presumably) get a partner cooler on it. I meant that post exactly as written. A 1080 at stock is only 3ish% faster than a ~1400hz 980TI - which is only relevant as the leaked benchmarks for the 1070 put it at about 20ish% slower than a 1080 at stock.

So, as we're talking about a 1070, not a 1080, it's just math. Let's say the 1070 overclocks (%wise) as much as a 1080 - that'll put it neck and neck with a 980TI overclocked.

Hence, if we're going to get shafted on a 1070 price-wise (say, it comes out at like $900-$950 AUD vs the $450ish USD), it'd be a poor choice as you can easily pick up a Asus Strix 980TI used for ~800 today, let alone in a month or so.

dude

dude
Should I expect this card to manage 1440@60fps for most games? I'm sick of playing at sub-native, and I need my monitor for work.

Top Bottom