• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1070 is slightly faster than a Titan X and GTX 980 ti, reveals 3DMark benchmark

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Has or does anyone here use a reference card for gaming? I know there are obvious benefits from a cooling perspective for custom cards, but if you're not planning on OCing, are there other significant benefits for custom cards?

The FE is very stripped down on their power regulators (missing power fases, missing mosfets... Cost reduction effectively, and the reviews show it - throttling due to power delivery).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_2_iCCesxI

I would wait for custom PCB's, which should also come with proper aftermarket coolers.

KingV

no reason for the same product to cost mroe tho, other than gouging.

Well, $1 US is worth about $1.39 AUD.

Take a $699 USD founders edition 1080, adjusted for Tge exchange rate and 10% VAT is like $1,068 Australian dollars. So it's price gouging, but not as bad as it seems (also not sure if there are customs on this stuff).

EDIT: Well, I guess the VAT could be outside of the price. Not really exactly sure how it works there.

PensOwl

Banned
Everyone's saying that there's no way the 1070 will be $380. If so, what does that number actually refer to? Why did nvidia put it up during the conference?

ZOONAMI

Everyone's saying that there's no way the 1070 will be $380. If so, what does that number actually refer to? Why did nvidia put it up during the conference?

It's a fake msrp for a card that did not exist at the time of the reveal. The only card nvidia releasing is the $450 reference card, and the board partners will also be charging $450 for the reference card. Premium after market cooling and pcbs will cost roughly the same, or more, as has always been the case. You may see a cheap plastic blower cooler from an aib at $379, but that's about it. It's a shady marketing tactic to get people to sell their old cards thinking the price is really cheaper than it actually is, and then they will just bite the bullet and pay $450+ for a 1070 or $699+ for a 1080. That's my opinion on it. Eventually there will be a price drop but who knows when.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
so a $379 card should be no more than £349 allowing for exchange rate/sales tax etc - based on Apple selling the iphone SE at $399/£359. the $449 founders edition would be around £399. That is quite a jump over the current price of 970s, and is in clear 980 territory.

So while better value than the 1080, it still isn't anywhere near the value of the 970. I just sold my 970 so that helps absorb some of the cost, but I hope to be able to get something like an MSI twin frozr or EVGA overclockable/quiet cooler for £399 or less. And hopefully not too long to wait as I'm running on integrated graphics now :/

mephixto

Banned
It's a fake msrp for a card that did not exist at the time of the reveal. The only card nvidia releasing is the $450 reference card, and the board partners will also be charging $450 for the reference card. Premium after market cooling and pcbs will cost roughly the same, or more, as has always been the case. You may see a cheap plastic blower cooler from an aib at $379, but that's about it. It's a shady marketing tactic to get people to sell their old cards thinking the price is really cheaper than it actually is, and then they will just bite the bullet and pay $450+ for a 1070 or $699+ for a 1080. That's my opinion on it. Eventually there will be a price drop but who knows when.

AIB cards cost a little bit more but rarely +$100. I remeber getting my 970 G1 at $349 or $359 (970 MSRP was $ 329)

I was thinking of getting a used 980 ti off of craigslist but now it look like I'll wait out til the non founders edition are available for the 1070 or maybe even the 1080.

kaskade

I was trying to look up pricing on the 970 for reference. According to wiki the MSRP is 329. I used EVGA as a reference and their most basic cooler base clock was at that MSRP. Anything clocked a little higher added a bit to the cost. I'm going to guess we will see the cards at like 400.

MuchoMalo

Banned
It's the 'price Nvidia thinks AIBs can sell their versions for if they hate money'

Marketing.

Do you seriously think that selling it for $450-550 won't hurt sales to the point that they'll make less money overall? They have to get in some good cards under $400, since that's pretty much the line between mainstream and enthusiast. Most people willing to spend over $450 on a card will be willing to spend $600-700 as well, meaning that it would be a dead card after the initial rush. AIBs only selling for above the Founder's Edition price are the ones who hate money, and they'll be punished for it swiftly.

Nice results for the GTX 1070, think I will be picking one of these up.

As I only game at 1080p on a 40" TV a GTX 1080 will be overkill so that will save me money, also I'm not paying the premium for the Founders Edition, so hopefully the 3rd Party cards will be reasonably priced.

I'm expecting the 1080's to be in the £400-£500 range, so I'm hoping the 1070 will be in the £250-£350 range, which for that amount of power, will be very good value.

You'r e having a laugh with those prices ain't you? No way you're going to be picking up a 1080 for £400 or 1070 for £250 in the UK.

£550 for 1080 and £400 for 1070 average prices I reckon.

Protann

Gonna be jumping in to building a PC soon, and am looking at getting a 1070. Are they going to be out of stock and hard to find online for a while after it's released?

Knurek

Do you seriously think that selling it for $450-550 won't hurt sales to the point that they'll make less money overall? They have to get in some good cards under $400, since that's pretty much the line between mainstream and enthusiast. Most people willing to spend over $450 on a card will be willing to spend $600-700 as well, meaning that it would be a dead card after the initial rush. AIBs only selling for above the Founder's Edition price are the ones who hate money, and they'll be punished for it swiftly.

While I don't doubt both 1070 and 1080 will get a price cut sooner or later, I don't think it will happen anytime during 2016. Even with the current, absurd, eye-watering prices, they will still be sold out almost instantaneously. Unless AMD kicks NVIDIa's butt with Polaris, but all signs so far point to that not happening.
I guess once 1080TI materializes, we will get price cuts for lower models, exactly like it happened with Maxwell.

MuchoMalo

Banned
While I don't doubt both 1070 and 1080 will get a price cut sooner or later, I don't think it will happen anytime during 2016. Even with the current, absurd, eye-watering prices, they will still be sold out almost instantaneously. Unless AMD kicks NVIDIa's butt with Polaris, but all signs so far point to that not happening.
I guess once 1080TI materializes, we will get price cuts for lower models, exactly like it happened with Maxwell.

They'll sell out because stock is low, which is the reason for the high prices in the first place. I'm 100% positive that we'll see non-reference cards at MSRP not only this year, but well before the end of summer. There's not a single doubt in my mind that the MSRP is more than just marketing.

All I know is that they've lost a sale from me otherwise, at the very least.

OK I've been out of the video card game for a while. What are people talking about when they say "founders edition" and "reference card?"

SGRX

I'll definitely be picking one of these up to replace the 970 in my HTPC, great value for the price. I'll wait for the non-reference cards, though.

Durante

You know, I'd at least wait for standard partner cards (so not OC models and not FEs) to arrive on the market before making far-reaching claims that they will never exist or not arrive in 2016.

Evilmaus

So I have a Nvidia GT 640. I actually managed to beat MGSV and a bunch of other games with this beast.

Do I now upgrade to the GTX 1070, GTX 1080, or wait and save more for the TI cards?

TheExodu5

Banned
So I have a Nvidia GT 640. I actually managed to be MGSV and a bunch of other games with this beast.

Do I now upgrade to the GTX 1070, GTX 1080, or wait and save more for the TI cards?

Get a 1070 and call it a day. The gains you will see are absolutely massive.

Seriously...we're talking like 12x the speed at least. A GTX 1080 will be 14x the speed instead...not worth the 40% increase in cost in your case, IMO.

CHC

You know, I'd at least wait for standard partner cards (so not OC models and not FEs) to arrive on the market before making far-reaching claims that they will never exist or not arrive in 2016.

Too rational, I'd rather just be mad online.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
So I have a Nvidia GT 640. I actually managed to be MGSV and a bunch of other games with this beast.

Go for the 1070! It's an insane upgrade over what you have now and the price is right.

If I had to make a bet, I'd say we will not see a Ti card this year. MAYBE a Titan but that's it. I wouldn't be surprised if they reuse GP102 for 1100 series.

GTX 1170: full GP104 with faster clocks (basically an overclocked 1080)
GTX 1180: cut down GP102
GTX 1180 Ti: full GP102

That's the exact same thing they did with the 600->700 series. And given that they are unlikely to face competition from AMD at the high end this year, it would not surprise me in the least if they do that again.

Odrion

Banned
So while the 1080 has been taking up most of the attention it looks like once again the X70 card is the more impressive card.

If you're okay with 1080p 60fps you could probably use this card for a long, long, long, long time.

Durante

So while the 1080 has been taking up most of the attention it looks like once again the X70 card is the more impressive one.
That depends on what you consider "impressive".

If you are talking about price/performance, then yeah, obviously the highest-end card introduced at any point will suck, that's how it has always been.

Nice, I wish I would have waited instead of getting a 980ti back around Christmas, but I needed it for VR...

...I didn't think it would take 5 months to get my headset (still waiting).

Oh well! My 980ti will be good till a 1080ti or maybe an 1180ti comes out.

Sulik2

This card isn't going to be able to be found in stock for under $500 for months. Demand on these is gonna be insane with that kind of performance and drive up what they are sold for.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I normally never pay over $250 for a card, but if this thing gets a sale for $350 I feel like I have to get one. It would replace a 7870 that still serves me very well, but this deal is too good.

Top Bottom