• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTX 1070 is slightly faster than a Titan X and GTX 980 ti, reveals 3DMark benchmark

Tagyhag

I normally never pay over $250 for a card, but if this thing gets a sale for $350 I feel like I have to get one. It would replace a 7870 that still serves me very well, but this deal is too good.

I'm the same. But considering I see this card carrying me for 4 years or so I can easily justify buying one.

Once all the crazy overprice debacle dies down though.

Boss Mog

Even if you could possibly get a 980Ti a little cheaper than a 1070. I think that would be a mistake for a few reasons. First off the 1070 has 33% more memory than the 980Ti which could make it a little more future-proof especially if 4K becomes the standard. Second, it's a new architecture and nVidia will mainly focus on Pascal when developing their drivers from now on; it's why nVidia cards don't age well. And lastly and most importantly, the 1070 has a huge overclocking potential and hopefully the custom cards will come with more than a single 8-pin connector to get the most out of these cards, but even with a single 8-pin connector a 25% overclock should be possible.

While I don't doubt both 1070 and 1080 will get a price cut sooner or later, I don't think it will happen anytime during 2016. Even with the current, absurd, eye-watering prices, they will still be sold out almost instantaneously. Unless AMD kicks NVIDIa's butt with Polaris, but all signs so far point to that not happening.
I guess once 1080TI materializes, we will get price cuts for lower models, exactly like it happened with Maxwell.

The 980Ti didn't make the 970 drop at all. It's basically still the same price at when it launched almost 2 years ago.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
You'r e having a laugh with those prices ain't you? No way you're going to be picking up a 1080 for £400 or 1070 for £250 in the UK.

£550 for 1080 and £400 for 1070 average prices I reckon.

Basically nvidia are moving everything up a tier for pricing, which sucks. 1070 is 980 price, 1080 is 980ti price. Question is whether they adjust those down next year when the 1080ti comes out, or they'll just price the 1080ti even higher

Ostinatto

What a nice upgrade to my

Voodoo%203%203000%20AGP%20BOX.jpg

am i winning the game?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Does EVGA do the step up program in the UK? I just sold my 970 and I'm wondering whether I can just use integrated graphics (ie no gaming), or possibly get an interim card.

ZOONAMI

The FE is $450 that has "better cooling and premium materials" markting bullshit, I'll wait till the non FE cards launch.

There is no other reference card. The FE is the reference card. I don't know why there is so much trouble understanding this.

Why would the aibs cards be significantly cheaper than the reference card? Unless it's a cheap plastic blower cooler, it isn't going to be.

Durante

Why would the aibs cards be cheaper than the reference card? Unless it's a cheap plastic blower cooler, it isn't going to be.
Presumably, because they will get the parts/license/whatever it is they actually acquire from NV for a different price, and crucially because there will be competition in both price and feature sets among vendors.

ss_lemonade

What a nice upgrade to my

Voodoo%203%203000%20AGP%20BOX.jpg

am i winning the game?

7 million polys. What did consoles at the time do? I think the dreamcast was capable of a million. Man, I sort of miss those days when these numbers were relevant lol. The saturn even had spec numbers for the SH2 and stuff at the back of the console manual, 200k polys, 16 million colors etc

mark_79

Banned
You'r e having a laugh with those prices ain't you? No way you're going to be picking up a 1080 for £400 or 1070 for £250 in the UK.

But if somebody is willing to blow £400 on a 1070 they'll just as easily drop the extra £150 on the 1080. It's not a massive difference and could potentially damage 1070 sales.

nVidia really need to put some distance between the two price-wise. £550-600 for the 1080 as expected but £300 for the 1070 would be ideal.

thefil

So if my card scores around 30% of the 1070 on this benchmark, does that realistically mean I could expect 3x framerate if I kept settings and resolution the same? Or is this benchmark more theoretical performance on unrealistic problems?

Durante

So if my card scores around 30% of the 1070 on this benchmark, does that realistically mean I could expect 3x framerate if I kept settings and resolution the same? Or is this benchmark more theoretical performance on unrealistic problems?
That completely depends on each individual game, and how CPU- or GPU-heavy its workload is.

LilJoka

Theoretical performance, but should be close.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
But if somebody is willing to blow £400 on a 1070 they'll just as easily drop the extra £150 on the 1080. It's not a massive difference and could potentially damage 1070 sales.

nVidia really need to put some distance between the two price-wise. £550-600 for the 1080 as expected but £300 for the 1070 would be ideal.

1080 is more than 50% more expensive than the 1070 at the 'normal' prices ($379 / $599) for way less than 50% more power. The 1070 is clearly better value for those that want value - if you want the best power and don't mind paying for it, then the 1080 is obviously there for you.

Sulik2

So, how futureproof is this card for incoming games at 1080/1440p@60fps?

For 1080P I would say your are safe for 3-4 years. 1440P hard to say, 2-3 depending on the type of games you like. These cards are so overpowered for 1080P its going to be years before engines over stress them.

Was waiting for some form of benchmarks on the 1070 and glad they don't disappoint. I'll wait for the standard edition because at $379 that card is a steal. Upgrading from 2 x 570's will be pretty awesome :)

Basically nvidia are moving everything up a tier for pricing, which sucks. 1070 is 980 price, 1080 is 980ti price. Question is whether they adjust those down next year when the 1080ti comes out, or they'll just price the 1080ti even higher

Really does suck, I mean I've got a bit of money for a new card, but I'm not spending more than £350 for one. So it'll either be a 1070 or the 480X.

Does EVGA do the step up program in the UK? I just sold my 970 and I'm wondering whether I can just use integrated graphics (ie no gaming), or possibly get an interim card.

Dunno but what I did was swung my trusty EVGA 980 SC on Amazon sellers market quick time (because eBay seller fees are now ridiculous) and managed to get a healthy 270 quid for it after fees. I then purchased a £93 GTX 750 Ti that I'm going to return in 3 and a half weeks (I'm going to try avoid paying a restocking fee...) to get my money back.

Then, if any of the new cards are out and are the right price, I'll open the purse strings. If not, I'll get an old, filthy and used 290 to tide me over for another 4 weeks which I'll probably keep to play around with overclocking.

As an aside I've been having fun overclocking the little 750 Ti I bought just today. Running it with a 1285 Mhz boost clock.

Boss★Moogle;204643353 said:
Even if you could possibly get a 980Ti a little cheaper than a 1070. I think that would be a mistake for a few reasons. First off the 1070 has 33% more memory than the 980Ti which could make it a little more future-proof especially if 4K becomes the standard. Second, it's a new architecture and nVidia will mainly focus on Pascal when developing their drivers from now on; it's why nVidia cards don't age well. And lastly and most importantly, the 1070 has a huge overclocking potential and hopefully the custom cards will come with more than a single 8-pin connector to get the most out of these cards, but even with a single 8-pin connector a 25% overclock should be possible.

Where are you getting the information from that the 1070 is a huge overclocker? Compared to Maxwell, Pascal seems to overclock a little less comparatively, no? If you read the reviews and not get bamboozled by that mythical '2ghz core clock' marketing. Iirc you can get an 10-12% core-clock OC on the 1080, which is hardly a 'huge overclocker'.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/30.html

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I know what you're saying but there's a big difference between stretching to £400 vs £600.

At a push I can see myself dropping around £300 for my next card (a replacement for my GTX 970) in a years time or so when the 1070 drops in price but I'll never speed £600 on a card.

Durante

Where are you getting the information from that the 1070 is a huge overclocker? Compared to Maxwell, Pascal seems to overclock a little less comparatively, no?
We have no idea so far of how well (or not well) Pascal chips overclock, since there aren't any non-reference cards yet.

mnannola

Does this mean the 970 is finally going to see a price drop?

This thing was released what seems like ages ago, and from what I can tell, has never had a price drop. Pretty insane for graphics cards.

Durante

This thing was released what seems like ages ago, and from what I can tell, has never had a price drop. Pretty insane for graphics cards.
Actually, graphics cards rarely get an official price cut. They just get replaced by their successors. Which is probably also what will happen here (e.g. 970 will be rendered obsolete by 1070 and probably subsequently 1060).

Knurek

No price drop, unless there will be a clearance sale at some store, as Nvidia stopped manufacturing (all?) Maxwell chips last month.

Hopeford

Huh, finally time to upgrade despite the Canadian dollar I guess! Only question now is whether to upgrade my elderly GPU (660ti) or my equally old CPU (i5-3450).

Either way, seems like I can probably upgrade my PC for less than $1000 and keep it that way for a good 7 or so years(I'm the kind of guy who's okay with 30fps). Happy I won't need to be stuck with a 970, which I was planning to buy.

ZOONAMI

Presumably, because they will get the parts/license/whatever it is they actually acquire from NV for a different price, and crucially because there will be competition in both price and feature sets among vendors.

Undoubtedly prices will eventually come down from the reference launch price, as has been the case with every gpu, but to expect a $70-100 immediate price cut is unrealistic.

ZOONAMI

Was waiting for some form of benchmarks on the 1070 and glad they don't disappoint. I'll wait for the standard edition because at $379 that card is a steal. Upgrading from 2 x 570's will be pretty awesome :)

What is this standard edition? Until nvidia or an aib shows us what a $379 card looks like, it doesn't have a $379 msrp.

Huh, finally time to upgrade despite the Canadian dollar I guess! Only question now is whether to upgrade my elderly GPU (660ti) or my equally old CPU (i5-3450).

Either way, seems like I can probably upgrade my PC for less than $1000 and keep it that way for a good 7 or so years(I'm the kind of guy who's okay with 30fps). Happy I won't need to be stuck with a 970, which I was planning to buy.

So you expect the 1070 to last 3 years longer than your 660 Ti? Why?

Well I said in that range, I never said it would be the lower price.

I've had a quick look at Overclockers UK and the 1080 Founder cards are up for around £650, so when the 3rd Party cards arrive they should be around £500-£550. No 1070 cards up to preorder yet but they will likely be around £350-£400 from looking at the 1080 price,

Unless they price them a little higher, around £450 and they have a 1060 lined up that will be priced around the £300 range.

Even so, the cost vs performance for that kind of money is still great.

Hopeford

So you expect the 1070 to last 3 years longer than your 660 Ti? Why?

Because I plan on sticking with 30FPS after a couple years, plus the fact that I'm kind of playing games on a delayed schedule right now. In 7 years I'll probably still be catching up with games in the next 4 years haha.

(Also realistically I will upgrade sooner than 7 years anyway but if I fool myself into thinking that I can justify the expense a lot easier)

Well, if you're cool with buying one used, they're going for pretty damn cheap online second-hand now because of all the people selling because they're planning to upgrade to the 1080/1070

Top Bottom