• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guijan 3 is absolutely breathtakingly gorgeous. It's like China made their own unique take on Final Fantasy with their own lore/culture and traditions

Lonely_Wolf1886

Neo Member
Last one, now if only there was a way to run this game in 4k, will see if I can upscale it.
09683BA3901437250143E3D3DA1A911067E40DB5
Doesn't 4k work? Was planning to buy but without 4k it will be blurry in my TV.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bought this last night and played a bit. I like how it plays quite a bit and honestly it feels a bit more polished than I expected. I think I'll stick with this. Looking forward to an era when more good Chinese games come to the west.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
So ya there is some kind of irony of one of the greatest copyright offenders coming up with one of the best solutions to protect their game from piracy...

It's fucking retarded how you're trying to spin as a positive that your save data is held hostage in China and that if that infrastructure banishes for any reason your game will be unusable.

But then again this entire thread is nothing else than you trying very hard to sell this game..

Last edited:

Techies

It's fucking retarded how you're trying to spin as a positive that your save data is held hostage in China and that if that infrastructure banishes for any reason your game will be unusable.

But then again this entire thread is nothing else than you trying very hard to sell this game..
All I care about is not losing my progress until I have finished the game and so far that hasn't happened so I'm happy.

Doesn't 4k work? Was planning to buy but without 4k it will be blurry in my TV.
I was wrong about that, setting my native resolution to 4k seems to have done the trick in enabling that option in game. But I doubt you'll be able to run it a stable 60fps if you have anything less than a 1080ti at that resolution. Think I'm getting 50-60 atm.

1440p is real smooth though.

I just googled and found a random curator and got some screenshots from the games arranged by top sellers, you can go down the list yourself, I didn't dig too much, just found some examples. Though I bought Banner of the Maid today and knew of My Time at Portia and others.
I think I read somewhere Gujian 2 also had online-only bs that was later patched out so hopefully they'll patch that out in 3 as well at some point, maybe they treat that stuff like western pubs treat denuvo, patching it out after some time cos it served its drm purpose or whatever...

Just noticed op didn't even spell the game's name right >_>

Thats chairman whatever on resetera. Its another curator that recommends everything. He promotes complete knockoffs of other games the same as original interesting games like chinese parent, tales of wuxia or the scroll of taiwu. His early efforts introduced me to these games so I'm grateful for that but nothing he has promoted in 2019 looked any good.

This particular game caught my interest several times but apparently it's mediocre so I skipped it.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Thats chairman whatever on resetera. Its another curator that recommends everything. He promotes complete knockoffs of other games the same as original interesting games like chinese parent, tales of wuxia or the scroll of taiwu. His early efforts introduced me to these games so I'm grateful for that but nothing he has promoted in 2019 looked any good.

This particular game caught my interest several times but apparently it's mediocre so I skipped it.
Like I said, I just found it via google and it was a good way to get a list of Chinese/Asian games to post screens from without double checking every single dev to ensure its origins. Anyway, I wasn't commenting on their quality, just on the bs claims all C games look the same and are based on their culture, as I'm sure you were able to read in my comment before the one you quoted. Obviously not every game out of a nation will be good (or bad). I never go by curators on what to buy. If by "this particular game" you mean Gujian 3 then I've heard generally positive things. The same for games like My Time at Portia, Banner of the Maid and others. I'm sure others don't like it (and others don't like this or that game you do) but there are plenty who do so I don't think it's "apparent" that it's mediocre. I refuse to get it while it's online only so can't comment on that, just the general vibe.

On Steam the game's user rating is positive even if you exclude reviews that aren't in English or from people who didn't buy it on Steam which means that out of its 17k reviews less than 500 remain (after all, it only got the English language option very recently despite being a 2018 game) and still give it a Very Positive 86%. Of course some of the positive reviews will be bullshit or written by Chinese in English to promote it just as there are bullshit negative reviews like "What a ♥♥♥♥ing weird game, would never buy Chinese game" or negative reviews for bugs rather than the game.

I suppose I could try it and refund it before the 2 hours are up but it feels like I won't have delved into the game proper anyway, it's probably story exposition and basic tutorials which at that point don't even give a good impression of the fully enabled combat with more options at your disposal and I don't want to waste my time doing that if the online saving never gets patched out anyway, I have no way to really confirm if that process happened with the last game in the series (or even how long it took) or not and they won't necessarily repeat the same process every time anyway...

Last edited:

Techies

Few hours in and it's starting to feel as the game is changing a bit, I suddenly have a party with me and each member seems to have an upgrade path. Speaking of upgrades, buying new armor does not cosmetically change anything so far as from what I can see. Was expecting my characters to look different after the generic quest rewards in the town after buying armor, but ya slight disappointment there.

Also had to play a card game that I still haven't fully figured out, but the objective seems to be to build a deck in 10 turns. It's luckily something that can be beaten with a bit of random luck, and cards you can play are highlighted.

Scenery still on point even though:
48D3CC53ADCB82F058F9FAFC64C421B4C9E1169C

71CEC1D35FB8732CDB0266C7CA0486EAEF98EDD9

So far an 8/10 for me, it may look great but it's missing a few small details in terms of character animations that makes them looks somewhat stiff especially while turning and when you walk and do random chatter their lips don't move, no communication via body language using arms etc.
Something taken for granted in recent modern games like Assassins Creed Origins/Odyssey

Also $8.49 on steam. Yeah that screams for QUALITY :D
Same like all those wish and aliexpress crap

You are rediculus - average salary in China is like 60k Yuans which is around 20k usd so they have fraction of the costs compared to companies developing in America

Techies

The 1 vs 1 sword to sword boss fights in this game is awesome and pretty damn difficult even on normal.
Just had to fight this guy and got my ass kicked, didn't help that I only had one healing flower.

Fbh

Never heard of this, but looking at some videos it looks fun.

Will give it a try if they ever patch out the online save stuff. Online requirement for a single player game is an instant deal breaker

Looks interesting, will check it out if it there's nothing scummy about it. Other cultures' approach to games is interesting, especially takes on genres that's traditionally associated with a specific country. We often get very focused on the West (as in NA and western Europe) or Japan, but there should be so many great ideas that could get thought up or interesting stories that would get told, if more countries, from Asia, eastern Europe, Middle East, South-America and Africa, participated in the mainstream game sphere. Of course they exist, but taking up in the mainstream would certainly see a huge shift in various cultural influences.

Techies

Looks interesting, will check it out if it there's nothing scummy about it. Other cultures' approach to games is interesting, especially takes on genres that's traditionally associated with a specific country. We often get very focused on the West (as in NA and western Europe) or Japan, but there should be so many great ideas that could get thought up or interesting stories that would get told, if more countries, from Asia, eastern Europe, Middle East, South-America and Africa, participated in the mainstream game sphere. Of course they exist, but taking up in the mainstream would certainly see a huge shift in various cultural influences.

One notable thing is you don't kill the animals, sure you beat a monkey up. But in the end that monkey gets up and runs a way. The only thing you truly destroy are demons (you don't kill normal spirits either).

In the start you beat up a rich kid that threatens to eat the pet dog of another man, because it peed on him.

I kid you not, you also beat him up and then persuade him to join your classes to change his ways and become a new man.

If this was the witcher you'd probably just cut his head off.

So ya it does approach things a little differently.

isual

it looks nice and i do have a high end gaming PC. but is it worth the price?
howlongtobeat says its about 60 hours long.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Nope, but it is referenced, but as something cruel rich people do.

Whole dogs can be purchased at 70-100 yuan cheap. Average salary in poorest region is 2700 yuan month so I'd say it's affordable. China eats between 10 and 20 million dogs a year. Granted that's small potatoes considering the Chinese churn through half a billion pigs a year, but dog eating is not something "cruel and rich people do".

And sure, the sentiment is changing in China and the general public is rejecting this culinary practice. Which is why I don't see the need to lie about it =/

Last edited:

Alexios

Whole dogs can be purchased at 70-100 yuan cheap. Average salary in poorest region is 2700 yuan month so I'd say it's affordable. China eats between 10 and 20 million dogs a year. Granted that's small potatoes considering the Chinese churn through half a billion pigs a year, but dog eating is not something "cruel and rich people do".

And sure, the sentiment is changing in China and the general public is rejecting this culinary practice. Which is why I don't see the need to lie about it =/
What are you even talking about, when did this game pose as a history or slice of life in modern china (and specifically the areas where what you say occurs) lesson to claim that's a lie? It's very clearly and obviously unrealistic fantasy fiction, even if it does also include real Chinese elements.

Last edited:

Techies

it looks nice and i do have a high end gaming PC. but is it worth the price?
howlongtobeat says its about 60 hours long.

Judging by my play time I would say I'm only halfway through judging by my character level. I would guess it to be around 30 hours if you focus on the story and do a few side quests easily.

NeoLed

What are you even talking about, when did this game pose as a history or slice of life in modern china (and specifically the areas where what you say occurs) lesson to claim that's a lie? It's very clearly and obviously unrealistic fantasy fiction, even if it does also include real Chinese elements.

The hate is real
Chinese bad

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

They've been eating dogs for a looking time there, at least 2000 years that we know.

I don't think you read in my post, I didn't specify where they eat it. I used economic data of the poorest region to show that dog meat is affordable and isn't a luxury reserved for the rich.

The game considers dog eating shameful enough to mention that it happens and to handwave it away with a lie. Why does it bother you so much that we point at the lie?

Alexios

They've been eating dogs for a looking time there, at least 2000 years that we know.

I don't think you read in my post, I didn't specify where they eat it. I used economic data of the poorest region to show that dog meat is affordable and isn't a luxury reserved for the rich.

The game considers dog eating shameful enough to mention that it happens and to handwave it away with a lie. Why does it bother you so much that we point at the lie?
Are you a moron? It's fantasy fiction.

Again, it doesn't pose as a history lesson. In its universe, dogs are eaten by rich people, and people have magical powers and mythological monsters are real, and so on and so forth. None of it is a lie because it didn't happen in real ancient or modern China the way its portrayed, it's fantasy fiction.

Who the fuck ever said "oh so people in real China didn't and don't eat dog meat, only some rich people do, because this game says that's how it is, oh no, the poor Chinese folks are attacked with propaganda for things they don't really do!" for you to come claim it's telling "lies"?

How many roman/celtic/aztec/native american/hawaiian/new zealand based/many-other-place-esque yet still fictional games did you play with dog meat presented as the delicacy it was and some times is and where were you to shout "lies!" for those that didn't make the effort to do so?

I know I didn't see any dog eating in The New Zealand Story but that doesn't make it "lies" lol.
68989-the-new-zealand-story-nes-front-cover.jpg

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Are you a moron? It's fantasy fiction.

Again, it doesn't pose as a history lesson. In its universe, dogs are eaten by rich people, and people have magical powers and mythological monsters are real, and so on and so forth. None of it is a lie because it didn't happen in real ancient or modern China the way its portrayed, it's fantasy fiction.

Who the fuck ever said "oh so people in real China didn't and don't eat dog meat, only some rich people do, because this game says that's how it is, oh no, the poor Chinese folks are attacked with propaganda for things they don't really do!" for you to come claim it's telling "lies"?

How many roman/celtic/aztec/native american/hawaiian/new zealand based/many-other-place-esque yet still fictional games did you play with dog meat presented as the delicacy it was and some times is and where were you to shout "lies!" for those that didn't make the effort to do so?

I know I didn't see any dog eating in The New Zealand Story but that doesn't make it "lies" lol.

And yet again the issue of dog eating is real, the game devs acknowledge it in their game and try to distance themselves from it by lying about they could have ignored it, but chose to mention it because it is a thing that Chinese eat dogs.

If you don't think they were purposely making a statement about it you're being obtuse on purpose. They're very aware. Do you see square talking about eating dolphin and whale meat on their games?

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Thanks for answering my one question to you, though it was obvious. Lmao.

You've misquoted me in this same thread - you don't even read the posts you reply to.

We're talking about a single player game that can't work if their servers go down because the saves are stored in China.

A game that makes a point to lie about dog eating in China.

Again you think square enix would ever try to do this? And if they did what would you think would happen.

I'm sorry to ruin this sponsored advertisement for the game but this things are there.

Techies

I feel like such an idiot, only just now found out you can use magic and team skills by holding left trigger and pressing a corresponding d-pad button...Game failed to explain that small detail, thought it was all passives.
Well that makes the combat a bit more interesting.

Alexios

You've misquoted me in this same thread - you don't even read the posts you reply to.

We're talking about a single player game that can't work if their servers go down because the saves are stored in China.

Again you think square enix would ever try to do this? And if they did what would you think would happen.

I'm sorry to ruin this sponsored advertisement for the game but this things are there.
Sponsored advertisement, lmfao. I've already said I wouldn't get the game until and if online-only is patched out, how the fuck do you pretend to inform me of those things and what does that have to do with your moronic inability to tell lies from fantasy fiction? Nobody paid Techies for this, rofl.

Last edited:

NeoLed

But the game is not set in China...
There are two servers to pick for the DRM. NA and Asia. It's heavily suggested to use the NA server if we're not playing from mainland China

Nope, but it is referenced, but as something cruel rich people do.
In the towns you see a lot of pet cats and dogs and the golden glider is pretty adorable. So whoever made this game has respect for animals.

This idea is just beyond goofy to me. If anyone puts meat in their mouths, they are eating "animals." We just happen to domesticate cats and dogs.

Trilobit

This idea is just beyond goofy to me. If anyone puts meat in their mouths, they are eating "animals." We just happen to domesticate cats and dogs.

Yeah, it's weird to me too. Personally I'd have a very hard time eating cats or dogs, but I can see outside my personal cultural bubble. So I'm not angry at Chinese people who cook up poodles. In my Scandinavian country we don't have any issues with eating horse, but I've met an American whose wife got very angry when she heard he had been chomping horse meat here. We thought it was very funny.

Now if we're speaking about ethical animal treatment I completely agree that cats, cows, chickens, dogs, pigs etc. should be treated as good as possible even if their future is on someone's plate. But I don't think it's more ethical to eat a pig than a pug.

Last edited:

Techies

So is the game fully english-ed, and vids here are from the original version?
Voices are still Chinese, but everything else has been fully translated to English, a year after it's initial release.
Most of the existing videos out there would be in Chinese.

Techies

too bad the combat sucks, zero weight to it. Its a good AA rpg but thats about it
The combat has grown on me, but if you don't like DmC you'll probably won't like this. That's the closest game I could think of in terms of combat.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Chances i can play this with decent framerate on low settings with a laptop with i5 and Nvidia MX150?

It looks demanding, and minimum specs are insanely high, but isn't it made with UE4? so in theory perfectly scalable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Techies

Chances i can play this with decent framerate on low settings with a laptop with i5 and Nvidia MX150?

It looks demanding, and minimum specs are insanely high, but isn't it made with UE4? so in theory perfectly scalable.

In theory, yes, but it won't look as good. Vision engine or something like that, the biggest graphical issues have been pop ins. It's well optimized.

Came to a part of the game where the backstory of the main character is revealed and wow it's pretty horrifying/sad what happened to him as a kid. The game really goes to dark places in some segments.

Last edited:

Techies

30 Hours into the game (lvl33) and I'm just going to simply say it, it's a masterpiece of a game. The story is really engaging and it feels like a combination of the The Witcher/American Mcgee's Alice/Dark Souls/DmC/Final Fantasy

It's simply a solid polished game, had zero crashes.

Also it makes for great screenshots.

81B8ABE4E4888D67A279AA602A3FDF731CAD9623

FDA67E7BFCA3A0DE8E25F4632402AEC6299DE2B8

8807589973F0DF1C65BE3E45397F155ED8417D0F

41B4D416B347D023130BF467BBC84825FA35189E

Last edited:
Wish Steam allowed you to trade games (taking them from your library, adding to another users library).

No money, but would gladly trade a great game I have for this.

Techies

It's pretty unbelievable how much there is to see in this game, for a moment I thought I completed the game, but nope another another act.

If there is one thing western developers can take away from this game is it's gameplay design in terms of difficulty, level scaling and the pacing of character development and numbers.

It's simply the best I've seen. The fact that you play as a powerful entity who supressed his fey powers to live among mortals helps a bit too.

So you start of as a powerful mortal swordsman fighting monkeys/bandits to a king fighting an arch demon in the spirit realm. So you go from fighting mortal enemies to arch demons as a king on another realm. In terms of game design, a great way to justify lvl10 vs lvl30

So far it works out at roughly one level per 45 minutes. Each level gives your main character 2 skillpoints and a skill can most of the time be upgraded once to give an additional effect. So you can always look forward to a new ability to use as the game progresses.

Your two supporting characters also have their own skilltrees so the rpg elements go pretty deep. Oh and you can respec anytime, just not in combat.

Top Bottom