• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guilty Gear Xrd PC |OT| Get down to 4k rock!

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I can't tell if it's my connection or if I'm playing a bunch of people for Russia- it says 3 bars then I go in, it starts at 4f and then suddenly dips to 16.

Mods are starting to pop up.

3-3-1450286111.jpg

1-0-1450216198.jpg

2-2-1449874213.jpg

May and Venom seem interesting, but seem like a bad choice for starting off. Like I have to just learn Ky or Sol or something. Don't feel like playing Millia

People in the Street Fighter community always talk about SFIV like it's light on execution, but people outside of it act like Guilty Gear is easy in comparison? Anything in Guilty Gear beyond simple chains requires like 15 inputs, I don't see how that's easier than Street Fighter's typical light light pause heavy.

May and Venom seem interesting, but seem like a bad choice for starting off. Like I have to just learn Ky or Sol or something. Don't feel like playing Millia

People in the Street Fighter community always talk about SFIV like it's light on execution, but people outside of it act like Guilty Gear is easy in comparison? Anything in Guilty Gear beyond simple chains requires like 15 inputs, I don't see how that's easier than Street Fighter's typical light light pause heavy.

I don't see many people say that at all. Xrd is my first GG game, but it definitely felt harder to learn than either Persona or Blazblue did, and anime in general is pretty overwhelming to get into. Xrd kicked a lot of people's asses when it first dropped. That's why so many of the newer people who wanted to play a "real" anime game like some were hyping Xrd up to be dropped it within a month.

As someone who only plays May, I don't see her being recommended to new players often but I found her incredibly easy to pick up. Her confirms are easy, as 9 times out of 10 on the ground you're simply looking to chain into sweep or end with Ensenga in the air. You might have trouble getting the timing for her dolphin oki down, and I can definitely see her giving people bad habits, but in terms of execution and her gameplan she's much simpler than anyone else I've tried so far.

Marz

Street Fighter has a ton of one frame links, some characters its almost required to play the character. Im not an execution God or anything but a lot of Zato combos are really easy for me because they chain light to heavies.

I think it's a difference in complexity for people. Abel needs a one-frame link for his bread and butter, but the input is just f.mk dash s.hp. It's a pain and a terrible idea considering Abel was meant to be beginner-friendly, but for me it's not even close to Guilty Gear's punch kick slash instant air dash kick slash jump cancel et cetera. A Guilty Gear combo itself might not take exceptional timing or muscle memory, but getting it into your head and hands how combos work is not easy at all.

Marz

I think it's a difference in complexity for people. Abel needs a one-frame link for his bread and butter, but the input is just f.mk dash s.hp. It's a pain and a terrible idea considering Abel was meant to be beginner-friendly, but for me it's not even close to Guilty Gear's punch kick slash instant air dash kick slash jump cancel et cetera. A Guilty Gear combo itself might not take exceptional timing or muscle memory, but getting it into your head and hands how combos work is not easy at all.

Its just repetition. Training mode and take the combo youre trying to learn one part at a time and you should be fine.

Yeah, personally I find landing 1 frame links in SF4 way harder than getting down a string of inputs, but I imagine it's different for different folks. It can be surprising how quickly it goes from "what even are these buttons my fingers are tangling around themselves" to perfectly executing a combo with a bit of practice & muscle memory, whereas consistently dropping 1-frame links lasted forever for me.

TP

First patch is out
3.4 GB

v1.01 Patch (Dec 17th)
The following issues have been addressed and fixed as of the current update:

- Fixed several bugs that caused the game to crash in ONLINE mode.
- Fixed bug that was causing users to automatically cancel rank match matchings.
- Fixed bug where numerous lines of messages getting displayed in Players Match Rooms.
- Fixed several graphical glitches.

Investigation is ongoing, and we are continuing to fix other existing bugs.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers.
We seek your kind cooperation and understanding.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
First patch is out
3.4 GB

v1.01 Patch (Dec 17th)
The following issues have been addressed and fixed as of the current update:

- Fixed several bugs that caused the game to crash in ONLINE mode.
- Fixed bug that was causing users to automatically cancel rank match matchings.
- Fixed bug where numerous lines of messages getting displayed in Players Match Rooms.
- Fixed several graphical glitches.

Investigation is ongoing, and we are continuing to fix other existing bugs.
We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused to our customers.
We seek your kind cooperation and understanding.

3GB for that? I wonder if they're not using Delta patching. That's a little over a quarter of the game's install size!

EDIT: It appears to me that the UI elements have gotten much sharper, actually. Check out the screenshots below:

12C56305A5883260F8D0BEE255A207D39BDF2F80

33D750116493A35CDDA7441A1B41B0DE8F0BF94F

The tension meter, character names and other text elements are noticeably crisper. Character portraits in the load screens and the main menu also appear much, much sharper. I didn't have the foresight to take screenshots of those though, haha.

petran79

Banned
I don't see many people say that at all. Xrd is my first GG game, but it definitely felt harder to learn than either Persona or Blazblue did, and anime in general is pretty overwhelming to get into. Xrd kicked a lot of people's asses when it first dropped. That's why so many of the newer people who wanted to play a "real" anime game like some were hyping Xrd up to be dropped it within a month.

As someone who only plays May, I don't see her being recommended to new players often but I found her incredibly easy to pick up. Her confirms are easy, as 9 times out of 10 on the ground you're simply looking to chain into sweep or end with Ensenga in the air. You might have trouble getting the timing for her dolphin oki down, and I can definitely see her giving people bad habits, but in terms of execution and her gameplan she's much simpler than anyone else I've tried so far.

To use the advanced features of Guilty Gear you need to be an advanced player yourself. Just like in SF and other games, very few players will play that game to its full potential. Perhaps even less too.The mission trials alone are out of this world regarding difficulty, reaction and speed. Still even if you can squeeze 20 % out of that game, it feels satisfying

I played May also in GG AC+ R (and Johny) and got used to her in Xrd quickly. Still the CPU in Maniac mode is much easier than in AC+.

Sayad

3GB for that? I wonder if they're not using Delta patching. That's a little over a quarter of the game's install size!

EDIT: It appears to me that the UI elements have gotten much sharper, actually. Check out the screenshots below:
Does anyone use that anymore in this industry?! ;p
Seriously, every other patch seems to be a few GBs now even if the patch notes make it seems like it's just lines of codes.

That and the UI probably have been completely replaced with higher res assets.

Dr Dogg

The tension meter, character names and other text elements are noticeably crisper. Character portraits in the load screens and the main menu also appear much, much sharper. I didn't have the foresight to take screenshots of those though, haha.

Yeah! They scale and are filtered correctly now (see falk's post earlier in the thread). Here#s the biggest tell tell sign of it not being right.
1.0 said:
Notice the scanline effect for the background are really rough and uneven distribution? I was comparing this to both PS3 and PS4 versions and it was waaay off.

1.01 said:
Now here's the updated game. Massively better, evenly spaced with no artifacting and a direct 1:1 comparison with other versions now.

Dinjoralo

Maybe they updated all the video files for story mode, and that's why the patch is so huge? :/

But anyway, hey, there's no more region restrictions with online, form what I've heard!

Momentary

Banned
I was able to have online ranked matches without a single issue. Online seems freaking smooth. To me this fighting game has THE best online experience now.

Also, at 1440p the UI elements still look pretty good.

ArjanN

Yeah, after the patch I can get into ranked matches. before it would just immediately kick me out of that submenu. Netcode seems quite good so far.

Why is it so difficult to land sweep to Bandit Revolver? Seems weird for what should be easily one of the most basic combos in the game. Sol has good normals, and then specials that I have no idea what to do with.

Naite

Getting a steady stream of matches in ranked with the new patch, but now I'm having an issue where I lose connection during the versus screen half the time.

Oddly enough, the matches that do work fine have nothing but Leo's.

EDIT: Player matches seem way worse for me now. As soon as I join it say I lost connection and boots me out. Only 2 times I was able to get in, and one of them it kept saying I lost connection during the versus screen again vs multiple ppl, then I lost connection to the room and automatically booted out. The other time worked perfectly fine, but the other play was a dick and specially quit so he could play with someone else in the room.

Yo, saw this pop on SRK: http://shoryuken.com/2015/12/17/xrd...s-neutral-formations-in-guilty-gear-xrd-sign/

Sounds like it could be exactly what you were looking for.

It showed up in my feed earlier but didn't watch it yet, thanks again though.

Getting a steady stream of matches in ranked with the new patch, but now I'm having an issue where I lose connection during the versus screen half the time.

Oddly enough, the matches that do work fine have nothing but Leo's.

EDIT: Player matches seem way worse for me now. As soon as I join it say I lost connection and boots me out. Only 2 times I was able to get in, and one of them it kept saying I lost connection during the versus screen again vs multiple ppl, then I lost connection to the room and automatically booted out. The other time worked perfectly fine, but the other play was a dick and specially quit so he could play with someone else in the room.

I just had a crash during online, which hasn't happened before. I haven't played enough today though.

Momentary

Banned
I
I just had a crash during online, which hasn't happened before. I haven't played enough today though.

Same thing happened with me as well as soon as I finished a few matches with rookiejet.

In other news hears the final spread after the release discount

33,585 - 42,531

I find that when pubs release sales numbers they are usually closer to the higher end of the spectrum.

JP numbers (which had sales from other regions as well if) 39,916

Not bad if you ask me. Hopefully the discount pops up again during the Winter Sale.

I'm finding pretty much all tutorials for this game fairly useless because they don't address the neutral game. Not a single one of them acknowledges how you're supposed to deal with a neutral game that basically doesn't have footsies.

I don't care about chaining, I don't care about okizeme, I'll get to it when I can actually land even one fucking hit. None of that shit means anything at all when Ramlethal has the whole screen covered in swords and air dashes at you or anything else that happens ever other than Ky standing there trying to poke you with his sword like it's Street Fighter, which won't happen. I watched all those tutorial videos on that guy's channel and none of them were helpful because he keeps using Street Fighter analogies and this game is nothing like Street Fighter in the neutral and doesn't acknowledge the most important ways this game is different.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
UI looks so much better now. Good job on the quick patch.

What's the difference? I honestly didn't notice anything changed in the UI besides the awful pixelated 1080p title screen.

NEO0MJ

Yay, game finally runs on my laptop! I can max the in-game setting and still get a solid 60 FPS. Glad they fixed this one quickly, unlike Battle Fantasia.

tariniel

I played my first match against a buddy after maybe 4-5 hours playing challenges and missions and... holy shit we both feel helpless and have no idea what we're doing.

It's a completely different feeling fighter than any I've ever played and I have a LONG way to go. I consider myself competent at SF4 and almost none of those skills transferred over to this game.

We had a bitch of a time connecting to each other at the start. We tried to make private or passworded games and it just didn't work, we kept getting "Connection has been lost" every time trying to connect to the room. But once we finally got the room to work, the matches were flawless with no lag at all.

Midwest(Ohio)

Not sure how to find your name on Steam. If you want to add mine, it's the same as my GAF name.

I played my first match against a buddy after maybe 4-5 hours playing challenges and missions and... holy shit we both feel helpless and have no idea what we're doing.

It's a completely different feeling fighter than any I've ever played and I have a LONG way to go. I consider myself competent at SF4 and almost none of those skills transferred over to this game.

I wish there were better guides to Guilty Gear's neutral. Annoyingly few guides talk about approaching and instead just talk about anti-airing over and over again, when offense is much too important in this game to skim over like that.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Got a few games in, I dunno if the patch fixed it or if it was my internet but I'm getting fairly smooth 2-4 frame matches now.

Still pretty sure the wireless connection rating is pointless though- I'm staring at a PST-only room that claims I have 4 bars, following a 2f match up with a guy in france with a 1 bar connection. Still up for fighting anyone from West EU or US east!

LegatoB

I wish there were better guides to Guilty Gear's neutral. Annoyingly few guides talk about approaching and instead just talk about anti-airing over and over again, when offense is much too important in this game to skim over like that.
They talk about anti-airing a lot because air movement is a HUGE part of how you get in in this game. High jumps, double jumps, air dashes, and air blocking all have a huge impact on how you can move and what angles you can attack from. Learning when opponents like to try an Instant Air Dash attack to open you up, and learning when to throw out a forward + Punch or other anti-air move is super important for making people even think about chilling long enough to play a ground game. It's not like Street Fighter, where a jump in and of itself is a big commitment -- an air dash is much closer to that, since you're not allowed to block during the dash itself.

Understanding Faultless Defense is important, too. It's not just for pushing people out, you can also use it to safely stop a run (otherwise, there's a "skid" period where you can't block), and you can use it in the air to block otherwise unblockable attacks, at the cost of telegraphing yourself.

Not to say that a lot of the tutorials out there AREN'T bad, though. Folks can help you out if you can talk a bit more about specific situations (and/or characters) you don't understand.

FoxSpirit

Guilty Gear is far too complex to be released in the West, without an arcade scene to back it up.
I would call 40k sales on PC a solid showing that people in the west will do just fine with GG.

IMHO BlazBlue is worse since moves and normals do absolute crap damage compared to Guilty Gear so even with solid basics you go nowhere.

edit: Iron Badger go me good

Sigurd2990

Neo Member
I've been having fun with this game. The visuals are crazy good. Playing Elphelt at the moment. I want to experiment with different characters though. If anyone wants to play a complete scrub let me know :). I'll edit my Steam name so it can be easier to find.

I've been having fun with this game. The visuals are crazy good. Playing Elphelt at the moment. I want to experiment with different characters though. If anyone wants to play a complete scrub let me know :). I'll edit my Steam name so it can be easier to find.

I'll play anybody here. Assuming we get a good connection.

I'd rather play Venom poorly against other scrubs than have to play Ky or Sol just to get in one hit against decent players.

Top Bottom