• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy receives cryptic note on subway, posts it to Reddit, insanity ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Az

Wow, I mean just wow.
I am going with OP (on reddit) made the story up, once it got out of hand decided to go with the usual "threatening my family - need to delete" bullshit.

gutshot

Wait so was the original date (the 19th) cancelled or did they just agree to meet earlier because the rules changed?

It seems plausible that the person who sent the thing about the rules changing was some dumb internet detective that wanted to fuck with Reddit. So presumably, the original date is still on.

Also funny how the (possibly imaginary) homeless guy just randomly gives the note to a Reddit user (and a Reddit user that would actually post about it, no less) named 'Delver of Secrets'.

Subtle, this is not.

Jesus! Look at the size of that crowd! I think Hideo Kojima was on the scene too:
fALzw.jpg

I would seriously consider showing up to that spot on July 19 because I have nothing better to do. But chance are that it would be a waste of time and train fare. This reminds me of the Times Square Forever Alone prank that several internet users showed up to and got ridiculed for last year.

That looks like fun.

.GqueB.

Banned
It seems plausible that the person who sent the thing about the rules changing was some dumb internet detective that wanted to fuck with Reddit. So presumably, the original date is still on.

Seems pretty clear that the second message was a prank... I guess.

Shit now I'm all interested in this. Subscribed.

GatorBait

Man, I would've loved to hear the resolution behind this, but it sounds like "the internet" ruined it. 150 goddamn people showing up to a spot that only 1 person was supposed to show up to? Insanity.

Jackpot

Banned
Most obviosu explanation is there was no homeless guy and the redittor Ali made the note himself as part of some elaborate stunt.

Darkkn

Makes no sense to randomly give someone this kind of note, unless the guy is some kind of academic genius to begin with and was targeted from the beginning. Really giving it to a random dude has very little chance of going anywhere, most people would've just ditched it. You can't really expect that a random dude would either be able to solve it or have a audience to put it for others to solve.

Definitely a viral marketing attempt or something.

.GqueB.

Banned
Man, I would've loved to hear the resolution behind this, but it sounds like "the internet" ruined it. 150 goddamn people showing up to a spot that only 1 person was supposed to show up to? Insanity.

He ruined it by posting on reddit. Should've just asked him mom.

gutshot

Also funny how the (possibly imaginary) homeless guy just randomly gives the note to a Reddit user (and a Reddit user that would actually post about it, no less) named 'Delver of Secrets'.

Subtle, this is not.

Considering all the internet detective stuff that Reddit did on this guy, I'm guessing if he worked for a marketing company they would have been able to turn that up.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Subtle, this is not.

Seriously.

But this is awesome nonetheless. I really hope it ends with a meeting at Times Square where everybody's hope are crushed when "make sure to drink more Ovaltine" scrolls by on the New's ticker.

No matter the cost, it would be well worth it to pull off the most epic troll ever.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Considering all the internet detective stuff that Reddit did on this guy, I'm guessing if he worked for a marketing company they would have been able to turn that up.

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Edit: Sorry, DP.

painey

people post anything on reddit for upvotes. the OP probably came up with the whole thing himself for upvotes (not hard to write a crackable code) and didn't expect it to become a 'thing' and is now in hiding

Interesting stuff, but yeah, like others have said most likely marketing or made up.

Or, it's an invite to join the New York Thieves Guild.

God... I hate reddit's layout. That thread is a clusterfuck and hard to read.

Agreed. I haven't really read anything on Reddit until just now, it's really hard to read.

Jhoan

Seems pretty clear that the second message was a prank... I guess.

Shit now I'm all interested in this. Subscribed.

I think this calls for a mini GAF meet up. Are you in? I'm definitely intrigued by what's going to happen on the 19th even if it turns out to be nothing big. Besides, it'd be good entertainment for GAF alongside the Reddit stuff. Nothing better than a GAF x Reddit meet up.

Korey

It was proven to be viral marketing.

Details?

Proven in what way?

Didn't have time to read all the details but here are some links:

http://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/c...homeless_looking_man_handed_me_50_and/c5d0l9i

http://www.reddit.com/r/bestof/comments/wgbyk/pretty_sure_cweed14_has_the_honour_of_being_the/

Anyone else notice that BASE Entertainment is at that address and they have a new 'exhibit' coming out: http://www.baseentertainment.com/show/spy The newest interactive attraction at Discovery Times Square in New York, SPY: The Secret World of Espionage, offers visitors the first-ever public exhibition of treasures from the collections of the CIA, the FBI, the National Reconnaissance Office (NRO), and H. Keith Melton, the renowned author, historian, and international authority on spy technology. Visitors will see real gadgets and real artifacts from spies and spy catchers. They will observe real spy technologies, and learn the real tools-of-trade, some recently declassified. Arriving to New York City for its world premiere, SPY grants guests unprecedented access into the real world of espionage.

More detail about where the BASE Entertainment office is: 6 1/2 and 56th - i.e. exactly where OP is supposed to meet today...
BASE Contact Info
Google Maps
EDIT: My opinion is the OP works for BASE Entertainment and he and his team there wrote the cipher and back story and posted it to reddit knowing they love being a part of possible conspiracies/mysteries and solving puzzles like this (remember the radiation thread? that kept me interested for hours). Its a little suspicious to me that the guy who handed him this note was also monitoring the web for the OP trying to crack this by crowd sourcing the solution.
Anyways, top stories on reddit often make it over to the press so this is a brilliant way to get some free viral marketing for the SPY museum. I'm reallllly curious about the OP's next update. He will either draw this on longer to try to throw us off the SPY museum trail, or it will be the grand reveal before this thread loses its momentum.
EDIT2: The advertising agency who does the work for BASE Entertainment for their SPY exhibit is AKA NYC. They would most likely be in charge of this viral marketing campaign:
AKA Website
I've been trying to find some connection between the OP and people who work there but haven't had much luck.
AKA Employees Click on NYC to get the list.
Maybe you redditors out there may have better luck than me? May be a promising lead?
EDIT 3: (Warning: PURE SPECULATION) So I've been looking more into this whole AKA NYC marketing theory- the company in charge of marketing the SPY exhibit for BASE Entertainment. Ok, so what we know about OP at this moment (I won't give out his full name) is that he's an undergrad at NJIT. It's the summer and he says he's working in the city- most likely just a summer internship. My theory is that he's doing his internship at AKA NYC and they are using him to be the "unsuspecting" recipient of the cipher.
Why do I say this though? Hang in there with me for a second.
OP said at 20:16 UTC that he was getting on the E train to head up to 6 1/2 Ave. and 56th St. and would be there in only 10 minutes, implying a short ride. OP Gets on Subway
At 20:43 UTC OP says he gets off the subway, most likely the 7th Ave. stop for the E train OP Getting Off Subway
The AKA NYC office is located at 630 9th Ave. Just so happens the closet subway station to this address is an E train at W. 42nd St. If you plug in this address going to the BASE Entertainment office at 6 1/2 and 57th: Directions + ETA and look at the total time on the subway, you get about 10 minutes, or exactly what the OP said would be his ETA.
So between waiting for the subway, getting on and getting off at 7th Ave. it took about 30 min- pretty reasonable with waiting for the train and actual travel, especially since the E train had delays today.
EDIT 4: Ok people, we've got someone who worked at AKA NYC, they didn't say much but it could be a promising lead if they deliver. Link
EDIT 5: According to OP's last update he does not work for BASE Entertainment. Luckily since I've watched many seasons of Mad Men, I know that BASE Entertainment would not be the ones doing the marketing, its contracted out to marketing firms like AKA NYC. According to their website they are "providing creative and interactive services for this new exhibition [SPY] at Discovery Times Square" and have "taken over the city with an expansive outdoor campaign."
EDIT 6: Looks like Mr. Input is an asshole- sucks the OP has to deal with that. It was fun while it lasted guys. Maybe one day we'll solve a real mystery :D

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Around 150 people descended on the intersection of West 56th Street and 6 1/2 Avenue in New York City Thursday in the hopes of catching an exchange between two characters in a code-cracking drama that unfolded on Reddit last night.
Redditors on the scene at around 3:30 p.m. were anxious to find out if the episode was some sort of job interview, a government operation, or a beautifully executed marketing stunt. Many speculated that it was somehow tied to the forthcoming release of The Dark Knight Rises.
Right around the supposed meeting time of 4 p.m., an elderly man dressed in blue with a long scraggly beard passed by, and the crowd rushed him in the hope that he was “Mr. Input,” the originator of the first code.
The crowd waited feverishly for his arrival. By now, more people had accumulated, many unaware of the original Reddit thread. They simply wanted to know what all the commotion was about. “The Internet is here,” replied a number of onlookers. Police also arrived on the scene to keep an eye on the crowds.
Gah, I fucking hate Internet people.

Jhoan

A Spy museum? I guess it doesn't sound so bad. But the site says to call a number if you bring a group of 10. So a group of over ten people will show up. Isn't that cool guys? :D

.GqueB.

Banned
I think this calls for a mini GAF meet up. Are you in? I'm definitely intrigued by what's going to happen on the 19th even if it turns out to be nothing big. Besides, it'd be good entertainment for GAF alongside the Reddit stuff. Nothing better than a GAF x Reddit meet up.

Was there ever a time specified? I have work until 6.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's be real: Everything on the internet is fake. The original post by the guy on reddit was fake and was viral marketing for something. This hasn't been proven yet, but everything on the internet is fake.

noah111

Still Alive
Pretty creepy shit, and if it is a fake, it's hard to tell which aspects of it are the fake ones. So many different pieces to the whole story, but it'll be fun to see what happens.

If it is viral marketing, that's some sick shit and shouldn't even be allowed. But what's more terrifying is if it isn't viral marketing at all....

AAequal

Banned
I think this was pretty neat. Viral marketing was first thing in my mind (seems like it is viral marketing) but was still cool that the community generated so much talk about the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom