• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guy receives cryptic note on subway, posts it to Reddit, insanity ensues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jhoan

Was there ever a time specified? I have work until 6.

Well there's not much of a mystery now since it's just a spy museum that wants people's money. :( I'll still be interested in a mini meet up provided it's nothing too fancy. I mean it's a freakin' spy museum! A spy museum. Maybe some crazy idiot dressed as Solid Snake will pop out the place give us all 50 bucks for being such good sports for showing up.

Although honestly, I'm under the impression that the reddit user was an unwilling participant in a viral marketing campaign so the 50 bucks was payment to solve the mystery and promote the thing. It was brilliantly done no doubt.

herod

j5-1m2bw0.jpg

Looking at the reddit thread the address the person was supposed to go to is a spy museum

http://www.baseentertainment.com/show/spy
Sounds like it.
Spy: The Secret World of Espionage is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to step inside the real world of intelligence. This interactive new exhibit will take you beyond the fiction and Hollywood drama and put you face to face with the fascinating truth behind the scenes. Encounter real stories and actual gadgets revealed for the first time ever from the CIA vault. Experience what it's like to be a spy firsthand by creating your own disguises, altering your voice, and navigating laser beams. Plus, gain exciting new insights into how intelligence really works – how science and technology play a major role, and discover how the men and women who do this kind of work shape the course of history every day.

Kwixotik

Man I don't know why 150 people have to show up when stuff like this happens. All you're doing by making a big scene of it is ensuring that nothing does happen. Just sit tight and wait for the OP to tell you what happens.

If the second message was from the same people as the first and said yeah all your internet friends can come too, it's most definitely marketing though.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Interesting to read, not so interesting result.

People need to control themselves when stuff like this happens. What purpose does it serve running up to one person in a mob of 150 plus? Especially when it's suppose to be a one-on-one meeting.

Imm0rt4l

Man I don't know why 150 people have to show up when stuff like this happens. All you're doing by making a big scene of it is ensuring that nothing does happen. Just sit tight and wait for the OP to tell you what happens.

If the second message was from the same people as the first and said yeah all your internet friends can come too, it's most definitely marketing though.

word.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Also funny how the (possibly imaginary) homeless guy just randomly gives the note to a Reddit user (and a Reddit user that would actually post about it, no less) named 'Delver of Secrets'.

Subtle, this is not.

To be fair, Delver of Secrets is the name of a (currently) famous Magic: the Gathering card, its not quite like naming yourself DarkSoulWolf666

marrec

Banned
When I first read about it, I thought it was a viral marketing ploy. And then I was really fascinated to hear what would happen. I was disappointed after reading that the whole thing would be ruined because like thousands would show up at that spot at that time.

Now I feel bad for the guy, unless he is in on it.

He is in on it, no doubt in my mind.

Rabbithole!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hahaha. Dude should've just crumbled the note up, went "what the fuck" and spent the $50 on a nice dinner with his girl.

gutshot

Unsurprisingly, nothing came of this.

http://mashable.com/2012/07/19/reddit-code-bust/

More than a week after a cryptic note was deciphered by Reddit users, followers of this mystery gathered on Thursday at the New York City meeting spot referenced in the code.

About 15 people were on the scene looking for answers — a far cry from the 150 or so that flocked to a nearby spot just a few days earlier when an Internet user claiming to be the original code-giver changed the date and location.

For those just catching up, here is the back story: Reddit user delverofsecrets sought the Internet’s help when a “homeless looking man” handed him an encoded message and a $50 bill on a New York City subway. It was later deciphered by Reddit users: “There’s plenty more money to make. Figure this out and prepare to meet July 19th, 56th & 6th. There’s a hot dog stand outside Rue57 cafe. Ask for Mr. Input.”

Several days later, a Reddit user claiming to be the code originator sent a private message to delverofsecrets, referencing a different location at an earlier date. But nothing occurred at that meet up either. Delverofsecrets — who later deleted his account after receiving threatening messages and phone calls — did not show up at Thursday’s meeting.

On 56th and 6th, the hot dog vendor said he had never heard of Mr. Input until Reddit fans approached him after the code went viral. Employees of the Rue57 restaurant were just as surprised to hear they were a part of the message.

Some believed the code could be a part of a marketing ploy for the film The Dark Knight Rises, which had a pre-screening recently just a block away. But judging by today’s turnout, it’s unlikely that a marketing team is behind the initiative.

Although the Reddit code mystery may never be solved, one thing is for sure: The Internet is watching, and there might be huge potential for marketers looking to pull an elaborate stunt like this in the future.

Maybe whichever viral marketer was behind this pulled out when the guy started getting death threats? Either that or it was all just an elaborate prank by this "homeless guy", who I'm guessing got a good laugh out of all the hoopla he caused. I guess we'll never know...

ryan13ts

If this was something and it was ruined by a bunch of sweaty internet nerds then I'll be pissed, even though I have no idea what's going on or what it entails.

*EDIT* reminds me of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_Masks_Case

That's probably one of my favorite unsolved mysteries. The whole thing is just so damn weird.

Anyways, the whole crpytic messages and whatnot from this little saga reminds me of the Zodiac. Fortunately, no one's being shot to death by some loon in an executioners hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom