• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban 5 (Ace Attorney 5): Limited Editions announced, boxart, 7/25 release

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
By most accounts, AAI2 was pretty well received by the people who actually got to play it.

It's not like Takumi is God or anything, considering the plothole-ridden/lacking-in-motivation story of AA4.

AA4 is the only game Takumi worked on with most of people still working on this series, unlike the first three that he clearly had complete control over. He might not be a god, but this series is clearly so loved because of him.

Shimesaba

I think the main thing that will suffer with Takumi's absence is the strength of the characters. My biggest letdown with AAI/2 was the dull characterization of everyone (minus maybe Calisto Yew?). Kokone (with her dull mechanic) is shaping up to be a continuation of that trend.

Takumi's dialogue is generally stronger too.

? Am I missing something?

Earlier news showed Phoenix as the sole defense attorney, and Apollo's reveal (in the injured/Raiden outfit) also seemed to suggest that he was going to be taking more of a side role for the game. New screens seem to confirm that he's the player character for at least one case.

Edit: I guess that's not what that person was getting at, but... Oh well.

bonercop

I dunno about the lack of Takumi. AA4 and AAI both had some pretty big problems in their story. I was a little tired of all the annoying, aggressively unfunny, one-note characters(Oldabg, Larry etc.) in AAI and AA4 didn't leave much room for Apollo to breathe as a character.

Atrarock

bTovcPW.png

The sales from this better prompt Capcom to bring over AAI2 and PW vs Layton.
And if it bombs...

Shimesaba

I dunno about the lack of Takumi. AA4 and AAI both had some pretty big problems in their story. I was a little tired of all the annoying, aggressively unfunny, one-note characters(Oldabg, Larry etc.) in AAI and AA4 didn't leave much room for Apollo to breathe as a character.

Takumi was not involved with the writing for AAI. He was involved with AA4, but I think there were others as well. (Wikipedia lists three writers for Apollo Justice, while Takumi was the sole writer for AA 1,2, and 3.)

In any case, the early backgrounds (trope-laden Japan village?) are definitely giving me more of an AAI vibe than an AA vibe, which is depressing. I want to be excited for this game but I wish they had brought Takumi in.

bTovcPW.png

And if it bombs...
Not a single AA game has bombed in the US despite Capcom trying to falsely throw AAI under the bus. Not one.

This game will do just fine. Capcom needs to show a bit more faith in a series that has such a dedicated fan base. Just because this doesn't pull in RE type sales doesn't mean it's not worth it.

I'm hoping that they will soon realize this and finally give us the missing piece of the puzzle, AAI2.

As a side note, PW vs Layton is entirely in Level-5's hands. Hopefully they'll get on board.

Atrarock

Not a single AA game has bombed in the US despite Capcom trying to falsely throw AAI under the bus. Not one.

This game will do just fine. Capcom needs to show a bit more faith in a series that has such a dedicated fan base. Just because this doesn't pull in RE type sales doesn't mean it's not worth it.

I'm hoping that they will soon realize this and finally give us the missing piece of the puzzle, AAI2.

As a side note, PW vs Layton is entirely in Level-5's hands. Hopefully they'll get on board.
Oh I know, I remember Sven saying AAI sold less than Okamiden. I know it didn't sell badly but...well I dunno how to put it. It's like some of the best things just randomly tank or are just forgotten.

Besides that there was this is as well http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/17/ace-attorney-5-sales-forecasts-are-aggressive-say-capcom-usa/

HardRojo

What's sad is that RE has only gone downhill since 5 (Except Revelations) but it's still more relevant than AA... I need AAI2 Capcom :(

I seriously don't understand why they haven't Kickstarted an AAI2 localization. It's guaranteed to rake in the cash and will generate interest and excitement for the future of the series, ie free publicity.

sn00zer

Amazing how well they translated from 2d to 3d...Naruto is the only other game I can think of that does the anime look this well

Leeness

I can dig it.

But lmao the prosecutor's hair. I know lots of people have had goofier hair but never a prosecutor. Not even the ~rock god~ prosecutor looked so goofy. Klavier was actually pretty conservative for a rock star prosecutor.

But dude...your hurr. Get that shit trimmed.

Edit: Also, still hoping the writers can come back from the terrible AAI, but AAI was so bad, I don't have much hope. Will play, regardless, and wish for the best, though.

Oh I know, I remember Sven saying AAI sold less than Okamiden. I know it didn't sell badly but...well I dunno how to put it. It's like some of the best things just randomly tank or are just forgotten.

Besides that there was this is as well http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/17/ace-attorney-5-sales-forecasts-are-aggressive-say-capcom-usa/
Considering the Darkstalkers Resurrection situation, it would seem that Capcom has unrealistic expectations for everything.

Videoneon

Earlier news showed Phoenix as the sole defense attorney, and Apollo's reveal (in the injured/Raiden outfit) also seemed to suggest that he was going to be taking more of a side role for the game. New screens seem to confirm that he's the player character for at least one case.

Edit: I guess that's not what that person was getting at, but... Oh well.

Actually, I intended to get at both ideas, though the resulting post was too bland to suggest much, since the sarcasm was too hard to detect. I was also not expecting to have another character being playable as an investigator for segments of the game outside of the courtroom.

I want to believe. That art isn't an exact replica of the pose, but I'm sure Zero has done that pose once he's cleared stages in the PSX games.

This game will do just fine. Capcom needs to show a bit more faith in a series that has such a dedicated fan base.

Honestly, I think AAI2 (which is really more of a strategic platform decision than anything else) is giving people a wrong impression here. I don't really foresee a world where AA6 doesn't see a US release, absent a very different reception for this game than its predecessors. Every Ace Attorney game has easily sold enough in America to justify the localization.

Oh I know, I remember Sven saying AAI sold less than Okamiden.

I hesitate to speculate as to the motives behind this statement, but as discussed elsewhere in the thread, this was actually just not really true.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Honestly, I think AAI2 (which is really more of a strategic platform decision than anything else) is giving people a wrong impression here. I don't really foresee a world where AA6 doesn't see a US release, absent a very different reception for this game than its predecessors. Every Ace Attorney game has easily sold enough in America to justify the localization.

I hesitate to speculate as to the motives behind this statement, but as discussed elsewhere in the thread, this was actually just not really true.

There are two absolutely baffling non localizations at the end of the DS era; AAI2 and Fire Emblem 12. Both weren't even that late in the time frame and would have easily beaten out the last monster selling title (Black 2/White 2) by a year or more. Both games had same engine prequels that people assume weren't big sellers but in fact did in line with the rest of the series if perhaps a bit lower.

There is nothing stopping them from porting AAI2 to something else besides the DS. A 3DS compilation, an eShop release, even an iOS release. Just get it out somehow.

I've made this comparison before, but it's really like they removed a book from a series. Every single game has been connected to past titles in some way. This is an ongoing story. And as it stands right now, fans outside Japan are at a disadvantage.

But having said all that, I still think we can get AAI2 in English. I'm hoping that the hype and support for AA5 will reinvigorate the fan base into letting Capcom know that we still want the whole series. (What I'm really hoping for is that some characters/plot elements from AAI2 will feature prominently in AA5, bringing even more attention to the situation.)

There are two absolutely baffling non localizations at the end of the DS era; AAI2 and Fire Emblem 12. Both weren't even that late in the time frame and would have easily beaten out the last monster selling title (Black 2/White 2) by a year or more. Both games had same engine prequels that people assume weren't big sellers but in fact did in line with the rest of the series if perhaps a bit lower.
Complete and totally laziness. Sadly, both NoA and Capcom like to skate by on the least amount of effort possible. Thankfully, that seems to be changing lately (more so for Nintendo), but they still have a lot of mistakes to remedy. AAI2 and FE12 being chief among them.

I almost want to import the figure bundle but since I don't have a JP 3DS... Yeah, I think I'll wait to see what Capcom USA does first.

Still, can't wait for this game to come out... It's beautiful.

Awesome! Waiting for places to open with pre-orders...

Missed the AAI2 one with Edgeworth but will be on this! Just want that figure.

Meanwhile, I will continue to play Apollo Justice (just started it after a massive delay in AA games).

Think we'll get it this year in NA?

I don't think so. They probably could get it out around November if they wanted to, but considering pokemon and a bunch of other big 3DS games are around there, plus all the next gen excitement sucking money out of people's wallets, that would probably be a bad idea.

I could see a February release or something close to that, if I had to guess.

Takumi IS God, not interested in this until after it comes out. AA1+2+3 vs AA4 and Investigations is EXACTLY the reason I'm not expecting this to be really great without Takumi.

Can't wait etc. That prosecutor looks badass etc. Gimme the game etc.

Takumi IS God, not interested in this until after it comes out. AA1+2+3 vs AA4 and Investigations is EXACTLY the reason I'm not expecting this to be really great without Takumi.

Personally I was hugely disappointed with Ghost Trick and Takumi was still involved in 4 and 2 which weren't faultless by any means. Though 1 and 3 are exceptional, sure. That doesn't mean this won't be great when there is a consensus that AAI 2 is fantastic too.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search

You probably shouldn't count the Pokemon games as the DS's end of viability point. NoA couldn't avoid releasing them, even if they wanted to. It's not just their decision and no other series can match its popularity.

AAI2 was mostly screwed by timing. Capcom seemed to make a very conscious corporate decision to abandon the DS for the 3DS and rushed their last two DS titles to market in March 2011. Having released in Feb. 2011, AAI2 was kinda screwed.

Fire Emblem 12 definitely had time to release before the 3DS, but Nintendo seemed to have lost confidence in the series and probably diverted resources to the Dragon Quest games they were forced to published. It doesn't help either that NoA had suffered several RPG games bombing in a row, likely convincing them that the genre was no longer viable on the DS.

Otherwise, the two series were in very similar places: Series in niche genres whose sales had been declining steadily since the original release and were not generating the same enthusiasm as previous titles. Add recent game bombings to that and you can see that NoA and Capcom had no confidence in those two franchises selling. Nintendo was obviously proven wrong with Awakening so the best hope is that same happens with AA5 and Capcom.

I knew that I wanted this game but I didn't realise just how much I wanted it until now, the waiting game is going to be painful.

m0t0k1

normally i prefer sprites over 3d but holy hell this looks amazing. I really cannot wait to have this game in my collection. I am also glad to see Apollo in there he and Ema are my favorite AA characters.

7Th

I dunno about the Takumi praise; the entire story of Ghost Trick falls apart if you think just one little bit about it.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I dunno about the Takumi praise; the entire story of Ghost Trick falls apart if you think just one little bit about it.

I think it's more a lack of faith in the AAI team. AAI1 had pretty great character designs, too, but was (for me) easily the weakest entry in the series in terms of plot, pacing, writing and courtroom dynamic.

anyone else notice the quality of the 3d models in contrast with the PW VS PL ?

i was disappointed with the recent layton game for the 3ds because of that.

FluxWaveZ

anyone else notice the quality of the 3d models in contrast with the PW VS PL ?

i was disappointed with the recent layton game for the 3ds because of that.

From the first trailer it was immediately obvious that AA5's 3D models were significantly better and faithful to the original games than PL vs. AA's (which actually look relatively bad in comparison).

LiK

I think it's more a lack of faith in the AAI team. AAI1 had pretty great character designs, too, but was (for me) easily the weakest entry in the series in terms of plot, pacing, writing and courtroom dynamic.

Apollo was the weakest for me.

Top Bottom