• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gyakuten Saiban 5 (Ace Attorney 5): Limited Editions announced, boxart, 7/25 release

GSR

Wonder why he would choose to go with PL vs. AA instead of AA5.

PLvsAA started development in early 2010. AA5 likely didn't start development until mid-2011 or so.

Also, this is Capcom we're talking about here - I wouldn't be surprised if he had a bit of pressure on him to work on PLvsAA after Ghost Trick didn't do so hot.

kenjisalk

I only finished Gyakuten Saiban 1-2, never got around to 3 or 4.

How integral are those to following this new one do you guys think?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus

You have plenty of time before this one comes out. You might as well complete them... at least 3.

Considering that Apollo is in this game, you may want to complete 4 as well.

Miker

Absolutely integral. 3 is regarded as the best by many, and there are characters from 4 (i.e. Apollo, the main character) in 5.

GSR

4 seems like it'll be fairly important, given 5 is focused on Phoenix's return to law and continues to feature Apollo as a playable character. 3 probably won't be quite as important, but you should play it anyways because it's awesome.

Torraz

3 was arguably the best game in the series (and the best OST). Play it anyways. 4 was decent enough...

After that the edgeworth game is also very good.

kenjisalk

Crap, hopefully I'll have time before a North American release of 5.

Kind of intimidating tbh, considering the runtime of the previous games. :S

Droog

Sorry if this has already been asked but I've been (deliberately) not following this too much in case of potential spoilers - have the police NPCs been revealed yet? I'm curious as to whether they'll be new (which seems likely to me) or if old faves will be back.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Watching the brand new screens (FANTASTIC, btw), I'm wondering something about Apollo: in all the screens released, he's not different from how he appeared in AA4, but we've also seen his new appearance as Captain Harlock-like all damaged. And we know he should appear in the second case.
Should this mean the second case is before the explosion / whatever hurt Apollo?

FluxWaveZ

Watching the brand new screens (FANTASTIC, btw), I'm wondering something about Apollo: in all the screens released, he's not different from how he appeared in AA4, but we've also seen his new appearance as Captain Harlock-like all damaged. And we know he should appear in the second case.
Should this mean the second case is before the explosion / whatever hurt Apollo?

I think some of that should be spoilered for those trying to avoid details of what some cases entail, but yeah, that's what I theorized.
Case 2 might just take place before case 1, if Raiden Apollo does indeed appear in case 1.

GSR

Watching the brand new screens (FANTASTIC, btw), I'm wondering something about Apollo: in all the screens released, he's not different from how he appeared in AA4, but we've also seen his new appearance as Captain Harlock-like all damaged. And we know he should appear in the second case. Should this mean the second case is before the explosion / whatever hurt Apollo?

We don't really know one way or the other yet, though I suspect case 2 is after case 1; one of the screens of Kokone in case 1 has her saying something like "It's my first day, Mr. Wright!", and case 2 also takes place in the new courtroom.

Cases in AA games tend to have months between them, so it's not impossible for him to recover in that timeframe.

Apollo was the weakest for me.

Same here. I liked the majority of cases in AAI (
exceptions are Case 1 because it's a Case 1, and Case 3 because there was so much fanservice that it made me not take it seriously
).

I also think it has the best music in the series so far (barring AAI2, whose soundtrack I refuse to listen to until we get an English localization).

Phatmac

Really liking how it looks. I think I prefer the new art style over the older one. As many have stated before Phoenix looks badass.

Jawmuncher

So might as well ask here.
Whatever happened to the movie? I thought it was going to get a release over here or did I miss something.

Savitar

Looks freaking good, so can't wait to play this! Left wondering why the new prosecutor is in fancy handcuffs, former criminal? Doing it as some form of self punishment?

I dont even like anime statues ... but i want that Wright statue pointing to me on my desk. Any chances this might get a release in the west?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Same here. I liked the majority of cases in AAI (
exceptions are Case 1 because it's a Case 1, and Case 3 because there was so much fanservice that it made me not take it seriously
).

I also think it has the best music in the series so far (barring AAI2, whose soundtrack I refuse to listen to until we get an English localization).

Ugh, I didn't care for AAI's music aside from Kay's theme and the Pursuit themes. I especially disliked the Yatagarsu theme which plays through about 50% of the game.

Ugh, I didn't care for AAI's music aside from Kay's theme and the Pursuit themes. I especially disliked the Yatagarsu theme which plays through about 50% of the game.

Really? I can't think of a single song that I didn't like. I like how the majority of it sounded classy, which reflects Edgeworth's personality.

Seriously, how can you not like this song?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Really? I can't think of a single song that I didn't like. I like how the majority of it sounded classy, which reflects Edgeworth's personality.

Seriously, how can you not like this song?

I actually don't even remember that track at all.

It's the more prevalent tracks that became grating to me. I think I also just really REALLY didn't like the Yatagarsu theme, and they used it so much.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Capcom again with that magic on 3DS - models look ridiculous good.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Sorry, I just think I felt my heart beat seeing it.

Phoenix, good god. Normally guys don't make me feel all warn and fuzzy. Kokone, wow so awesome, everything about her is awesome. Finally a sexy assistant with an air of fun like Maya and Trucy.

All kinds of feels <3

I'm pretty sure the new prosecutor
is Edgeworth. They look exactly alike, in terms of mannerisms and facial structure--even more so than Phoenix and Apollo. Also, let's not forget that Edgey himself was accused of murder in the first game. Perhaps that case is coming back to haunt him.

FluxWaveZ

I'm pretty sure the new prosecutor
is Edgeworth. They look exactly alike, in terms of mannerisms and facial structure--even more so than Phoenix and Apollo. Also, let's not forget that Edgey himself was accused of murder in the first game. Perhaps that case is coming back to haunt him.

No, don't be crazy.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man I want to purchase the JP edition just to stare at the box art and get the bonuses. It's going to be a FOREVER wait to play this game in NA. I was hoping it'd come in 2013.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I've always wanted to play the Phoenix Wright games. Is this one getting a western release?

There's going to be HD iOS versions coming soon... ish. Maybe. This year. They've been saying they are for a long time now. There's already the first game on iOS, but just wait for the HD versions to come to play them again.

I think it's more a lack of faith in the AAI team. AAI1 had pretty great character designs, too, but was (for me) easily the weakest entry in the series in terms of plot, pacing, writing and courtroom dynamic.
Apollo Justice was much weaker in the story department to me. The narrative never got going until very late, and then they tried to do way too much at the end and almost committed complete character suicide for a certain someone.

I think the interconnection of the cases of AAI was much more interesting. The last case dragged at the end, but besides that I thought is was much more cohesive. Some of my favorite characters in the whole series debuted in AAI too.

I am absolutely dying to play AAI2. I will for sure someday, but I'd like it to be in an official English version. I'm hoping AA5 can lead us to that.

I'm in for sure.

I'm still not 100 percent on the animations. They seem a bit... I'm not sure what a good descriptor is here. Janky? They just feel a little off to me every time I see footage.

However, I've been excited about AA5 every since it was announced way back when and we didn't hear anything else for years. It's just such a charming series.

I sure wish they'd just fucking release AAI2 to the eshop and be done with it. I'm not willing to forgive Capcom for all their missteps, but between this and Duck Tales, they're starting to at least get back on my good side.

Okay, I'm lying. I'd be willing to make amends with Capcom if they released a retail AAI2.

GSR

Amazon Japan put up some extra art and screens.

51rargDsIOL.jpg
51CcfcyiGnL.jpg
51kErhkMt6L.jpg

51akZSsmaJL.jpg
51Nhdjxo5UL.jpg

81g8S1glbuL._AA1500_.jpg
91QYdKT7-mL._AA1500_.jpg

The wait for this to get over here is going to be unbearable. I think it's about time for me to go into a media black out for this. I want to be surprised about every cameo.

Top Bottom