• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Had Mountain Dew for the first time. It just tastes like Sprite

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zane

Doesn't taste at all like Sprite. Sprite has a much crisper taste, while Mountain Dew is much sweeter and has more of an orange citrus to it, rather than Sprite's lemon/lime.

It's definitely sweeter and less crisp, yeah. I'll agree with that. I didn't taste any orange, though.

rjinaz

It amazes me that some people legit can't tell the difference between sodas be it Pepsi=Coke or Mnt Dew=Sprite.

Mountain Dew and Sprite taste nothing alike to me, totally different flavors. I like Mountain Dew more, Sprite is alright. I mean give me a blind taste test I would get it right 100/100 times. If it were coke vs pepsi in a blind taste test I can see me mixing them up but never with these two sodas.

I tried it in Colombia a couple years ago (doesnt exist here) and it was the vilest shit i've ever tasted. absolutely disgusting

cant believe people drink it
Haha, yeah, I tried once too and didn't like it. Then again, Coca Cola/Sprite in Colombia doesn't taste like Coca Cola/Sprite in the States so perhaps it's the same? Unless Dew is actually imported in Colombia, and not produced/bottled.

The Beard

It doesn't taste like Sprite at all really.

Give me a blind taste test and 100 out of 100 times I'd be able to tell you which was which. Mountain Dew is crap.

Raw64life

Doesn't taste anything like Sprite to me.

I rarely drink soda anymore but isn't the Pitch Black Mountain Dew supposed to be coming back soon? That was jam back in the day.

Manu

My mom always tells me about how we used to have Mountain Dew over here before I was born, which got me curious.

Then I got on the internet and apparently people don't like Mountain Dew?

I'd still like to try it sometime.

rjinaz

It's definitely sweeter and less crisp, yeah. I'll agree with that. I didn't taste any orange, though.

Orange Juice is a listed ingredient in Mountain Dew. I can taste it myself, but I could understand not being able to.

Just don't drink it.

It tastes so synthetic and chemical it puts me off it. The overbearing sweetness, the chemical-like taste, the neon green color. It looks like something that should be cooling down nuclear fission or be capable of eating through titanium.

TyrantII

There's similarities, but I think the two taste noticeably different. I like both, too.

Mountain Dew is pretty good in its regular form, but Voltage is best in my opinion. I liked the white one as well, but the red is pretty shitty.

Red with vodka is a pretty good college ghetto punch.

rjinaz

Did you taste it the first time you drank it?

No not that I recall but that was decades ago mind you. It's true that the more you drink of a soda the less it taste like others. You pick up on its unique flavor more, or more so, you pick up on when other sodas don't taste the same way.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Your tastebuds are broken, OP. Mountain Dew and Sprite are miles apart.

Fake edit: Are you in US? Canada? Mexico?

rjinaz

Your tastebuds are broken, OP. Mountain Dew and Sprite are miles apart.

Fake edit: Are you in US? Canada? Mexico?

That's interesting. Throwback Mountain Dew (Sugar) I would say does taste more like Sprite than regular Mountain Dew here in the US. The sugar doesn't seem to carry the flavor as well.

I live in Ireland and they only sell one type of Mountain Dew here and I agree that it tastes just like Sprite to me. I definitely think that it is only because of the one flavor as I know there was numerous actual flavors sold in America.

Jackpot

Banned
I was surprised too when I first tasted it. It's... lemonade. Don't know how they carved out a market on something as un-unique as that.

W1SSY

This is far from true because I hate Sprite and had no problem drinking Mountain Dew when I did drink soft drinks. The only time I would drink Sprite was when I was feeling sick.

mreddie

742557.jpg

Goo

Doesn't taste at all like Sprite. Sprite has a much crisper taste, while Mountain Dew is much sweeter and has more of an orange citrus to it, rather than Sprite's lemon/lime.

This exactly. I always found the orange flavor defined Mt Dew.

Most Pepsi-brand sodas are awful. Mountain Dew and Sprite don't taste anything alike. Unless you got the 100% cane sugar Dew Shine stuff. Then it tastes like a sweeter Sprite, it's also clear and not greenish yellow.

I don't drink soda often, but do enjoy a vanilla coke from time to time.

Any other east coasters agree with Zane on the taste here? Maybe there's a difference in recipe?

I live in West Virginia. They taste nothing alike, but we have two types of Mountain Dew available here. Regular and Dew Shine. The latter tastes like Sprite...kinda. Just really sweet.

Mt. Dew's alright but Sprite is ass. It tastes good right after you open it, but it feels like it gets flat in seconds; I don't even bother getting any Sprite bigger than the can.

Throwback Mt. Dew is pretty good, it gets rid of that weird aftertaste I get with regular Dew; sadly it isn't too widely available.

Bubba T

Mt dew had this game fuel stuff that came out around Halo 3's launch. I had some of the stuff and I might as well of stuck my toungue in a bag of sugar. Way too much, even back then.

Kibbles

Tastes nothing alike...
I like Mt. Dew, but it gives me horrible stomach pains after I drink it, so I tend to avoid it.
Same.

Baja Blast needs to come back, that is nectar of the gods. I don't want to go to Taco Bell all the time just for it

Magwik

Banned
Sprite is only good for when my throat is fucked up from being sick
Mountain Dew is always good and Game Fuel Citrus Cherry is the GOAT the

I just drank a bottle of Mountain Dew for the first time today. I don't get it. It tastes exactly like Sprite but with 1.5x the recommended daily limit of sugar. If I concentrated really hard, I could taste a little bit of what tasted like lemon-lime flavored Gatorade. Now those are both fine drinks and I love Sprite but I expected a bit more considering the fanbase this soda has. And I'm someone who can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke, as well as Coke and Mexican Coke in a blind taste test (Mexican Coke has a stronger bite than regular coke and Pepsi tastes like cat piss).

Maybe I tried the wrong flavor? It was just regular old Mtn Dew.

I agree with you. I also had chocolate today; it tasted like vanilla.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Good god people, what the fuck am I even reading in this thread? Misinformation left and right.

Mt. Dew and Sprite are not the same type of soda.

Sprite is a LEMON LIME soda. The same as other brands like Sierra Mist, 7-Up, et al. These are clear and have only lemon and lime in them.

Mt. Dew is a CITRUS soda. A greenish/yellow type of soda that prominently features ORANGE JUICE as well as lemon and lime. Other brands that follow this formula are Mellow Yellow, Sun Drop, Surge, etc.

Saying they taste the same is ridiculous.

Zane

Good god people, what the fuck am I even reading in this thread? Misinformation left and right.

Mt. Dew and Sprite are not the same type of soda.

Sprite is a LEMON LIME soda. The same as other brands like Sierra Mist, 7-Up, et al. These are clear and have only lemon and lime in them.

Mt. Dew is a CITRUS soda. A greenish/yellow type of soda that prominently features ORANGE JUICE as well as lemon and lime. Other brands that follow this formula are Mellow Yellow, Sun Drop, Surge, etc.

Saying they taste the same is ridiculous.

Like I said earlier, I tasted zero orange flavor of any kind. And I love my OJ.

Voltage > Original > Code Red > Baja Blast > Sangria > White Out > Live Wire

I liked Super nova and one of the versions of pitch black.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom