• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Had Mountain Dew for the first time. It just tastes like Sprite

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyrantII

Any other east coasters agree with Zane on the taste here? Maybe there's a difference in recipe?

Nope. Never drank dark cola when I used to drink soda at all. Dew and Sprite have very different tastes.

Hard to describe. But Dew is like a slush puppie, sprite just tastes like sweet lemon lime seltzer.

Sonicbug

Sprite is undrinkable to me in can or bottle form. Too damn fizzy. I like the taste of it, but it's undrinkable until it goes flat and then it's not even a good lemon-lime soda.

Regular Mountain Dew isn't bad, but Code Red is amazing. The white one is pretty good too.

Pepsi is better out of a bottle or can than coke, but coke is better out of a fountain.

During a stopover in Heathrow before continuing on to Vienna, I bought a bottle of UK Mountain Dew and felt it tasted like Throwback Mountain Dew but more flat.

It was rather... Odd compared to the US version. The bottle was kinda cool though. UK Sprite tastes like US Sprite, just with sugar instead of HFCS.

EB0D12E1-8E78-472C-BF63-496D377889AE_zpsaeagb7ni.jpg

Twix Mix though... I miss those really.

doorframe

Neo Member
My mate used to keep a bottle of mounatain dew in his room like an ornament and showed it off to me. This is in the UK and a few years ago so I don't know if it was as common as it is now.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Mountain Dew and Sprite don't even feel the same, let alone taste the same.
OP's senses are broken.

But yes, as others have said, both Mountain Dew and Sprite taste nothing alike despite both having a lemon-lime flavor. Mountain Dew tastes like lemon, lime and orange to me while is also sweeter and less carbonated. Sprite tastes of lemon-lime and has more bite due to the carbonation.

Regular Sprite > regular Mountain Dew, but I'll take the other flavors of Mountain Dew (except Sangria Blast) over Sprite any day. I'm also a fan of both Sprite Mix and Cranberry Sprite (only sold during the holidays).

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I have them so rarely and so far apart that they've always just been the same drink to me.

Tevious

They taste different. They're both citrus sodas, but that's where the similarities end.

Sprite, Sierra Mist, and 7UP are all lemon-lime flavored sodas.

Mt. Dew is a lemon, lime (?), and orange flavored soda with caffeine.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wow, you can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke? You're like a soda savant.

Who can't? What do you think the Cola Wars were all about? Pepsi is formulated to taste more like Diet Coke, anyway, as an attempt to directly compete with it.

Thewonandonly

There's similarities, but I think the two taste noticeably different. I like both, too.

Mountain Dew is pretty good in its regular form, but Voltage is best in my opinion. I liked the white one as well, but the red is pretty shitty.
Brooooooo code red is the superior Mountain Dew and the only one I will drink besides Baja blast.

nnodley

Neo Member
There's similarities, but I think the two taste noticeably different. I like both, too.

Mountain Dew is pretty good in its regular form, but Voltage is best in my opinion. I liked the white one as well, but the red is pretty shitty.

Voltage is by far the best, possibly the best soda I've had. A nice 44oz voltage out of a fountain machine at Circle K is my shit. Only try to drink it 1 time a week when I go out to eat with a friend.

jax

Banned
You might need to get those taste buds examined, OP. Mountain Dew is the nectar of the Gods. Sprite is carbonated sugar water.

Syriel

I just drank a bottle of Mountain Dew for the first time today. I don't get it. It tastes exactly like Sprite but with 1.5x the recommended daily limit of sugar. If I concentrated really hard, I could taste a little bit of what tasted like lemon-lime flavored Gatorade. Now those are both fine drinks and I love Sprite but I expected a bit more considering the fanbase this soda has. And I'm someone who can taste the difference between Pepsi and Coke, as well as Coke and Mexican Coke in a blind taste test (Mexican Coke has a stronger bite than regular coke and Pepsi tastes like cat piss).

Maybe I tried the wrong flavor? It was just regular old Mtn Dew.

OP, you have no tastebuds.

Mt Dew and Sprite are nothing alike.

Moun...er excuse me, MTN DEW tastes like an over-sweetened Sprite to me. I never liked the Dew, but I'd take it over Sprite anyday even though I am on Team Coke. Although, the other non-original flavors are pretty good. (except Whiteout, it was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.)

If you want a good lemon/lime flavored drink akin to Sprite, try Squirt. That is, if you like your soft drinks to be super tart.

Davey Cakes

Lies, lies, lies.

Yes, Mt Dew is citrus, but it does NOT taste like lemon-lime sodas such as Sprite, 7-Up, and Sierra Mist.

It also doesn't taste like orange soda, though I honestly think this is closer. I don't know...maybe mix Sprite and Fanta and see if it tastes like Mt Dew.

Otherwise, it's pretty unique flavor, save Mello Yello and store brands.

Machine

Moun...er excuse me, MTN DEW tastes like an over-sweetened Sprite to me. I never liked the Dew, but I'd take it over Sprite anyday even though I am on Team Coke. Although, the other non-original flavors are pretty good. (except Whiteout, it was a mistake. It's nothing but trash.)

If you want a good lemon/lime flavored drink akin to Sprite, try Squirt. That is, if you like your soft drinks to be super tart.

But Squirt isn't lemon/lime - it's a citrus soda with grapefruit juice. It's closer to Fresca which is grapefruit and lime.

I disagree. I can drink Sprite no problem. I get nauseous if I drink Mountain Dew, because it tastes exactly like the Barium contrast I had to drink as a teen when I had a massive GI abscess they couldnt locate. Even better when they make you choke it down and then tell you it's the exact same thing they just shot into your ass as an enema. Hold it in both ends, now!

Airola

It doesn't taste just like Sprite.

It tastes just like the last 1/3 of Sprite when most of the carbonation is gone... which is fantastic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom