• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx Anouncement Trailer

I hope the graphics of this game don't lose their quality if this trailer is being honest with us. It looks so pretty!
There's been multiple gameplay trailers and people are already allowed to explore the environments in a limited fashion. Everything points to being the same graphics as in the older trailer.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's the benefits of the Rifts S over the Quest if the Quest can also connect to your PC?
It's way more comfortable with a higher refresh rate and native display port connection rather than streaming video over USB which can have issues, especially if you want longer cables. However it also uses a single LCD screen rather than twin OLED and so has only software IPD.

It's only 8 hz less but the Oculus Rift S is 80 hz which is already 10 hz less than what was considered the minimum desirable for the feel of presence in VR and what was basically the standard before it (and before Index higher rates), 90hz, so that makes the Quest a noticable 18 hz less.

According to Linus a very slight but perfectly playable lag is apparent, not with the VR view looking around but the hand tracking, even when you use Link (never mind the wireless connection some people play with) vs natively playing the game on Quest (if it has a port) or in a native PC VR set.

I time stamped where he first tries Link and says it feels jello-y compared to native PC VR, then he tests wireless, more Link at 9:16 as he touches on the slight lag again. At 9:53 he plays a game natively on Quest and says it's lagless so it wasn't the controllers or anything other than Link.

It's worth watching the whole thing maybe as there's also a part where as he moves too fast he catches a glimpse of blank black space as the video stream only covers a given safe area but it mostly happened wireless, he had to basically try to confirm it can happen when using Link too.

He still likes it and is positive about Link overall though if you watch past that last time stamp, I was just being thorough with the differences as far as I've known them to be, I didn't wanna mislead anyone if you got it and then noticed the slight lag yourself and said oh no he tricked me :)

Last edited:

Irobot82

It's way more comfortable with a higher refresh rate and native display port connection rather than streaming video over USB which can have issues, especially if you want longer cables. However it also uses a single LCD screen rather than twin OLED and so has only software IPD.

It's only 8 hz less but the Oculus Rift S is 80 hz which is already 10 hz less than what was considered the minimum desirable for the feel of presence in VR and what was basically the standard before it (and before Index higher rates), 90hz, so that makes the Quest a noticable 18 hz less.

According to Linus a very slight but perfectly playable lag is apparent, not with the VR view looking around but the hand tracking, even when you use Link (never mind the wireless connection some people play with) vs natively playing the game on Quest (if it has a port) or in a native PC VR set.

I time stamped where he first tries Link and says it feels jello-y compared to native PC VR, then he tests wireless, more Link at 9:16 as he touches on the slight lag again. At 9:53 he plays a game natively on Quest and says it's lagless so it wasn't the controllers or anything other than Link.

It's worth watching the whole thing maybe as there's also a part where as he moves too fast he catches a glimpse of blank black space as the video stream only covers a given safe area but it mostly happened wireless, he had to basically try to confirm it can happen when using Link too.

He still likes it and is positive about Link overall though if you watch past that last time stamp, I was just being thorough with the differences as far as I've known them to be, I didn't wanna mislead anyone if you got it and then noticed the slight lag yourself and said oh no he tricked me :)

My only holdback on the Rift S is that my PC is the only one that can handle it and I don't want my kids hogging it. I may wait for a Quest 2.0 but I feel like it's a happy medium of letting them go standalone and then I can link in to play PC VR.

Shmunter

Is there a walking option or teleport only? Teleportation while good for novices is unnecessary for us old VR sea salts and a real bummer if forced.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Yeah but why even think it's teleport only based on the old trailer in the op which doesn't even show teleport >_>

Last edited:

Shmunter

Yeah but why even think it's teleport only based on the old trailer in the op which doesn't even show teleport >_>
I’ve watched a series of gameplay videos over last couple of days which were all teleport. Thanks for pointing it out.

Bootzilla

Banned
What's the benefits of the Rifts S over the Quest if the Quest can also connect to your PC?
Rift S's connection to PC is bandwidth constrained and involves a degree of compression and runs at sub-native resolution. It also has somewhat better tracking volume for the hands. I don't know if that's enough to balance out the added functionality of the Quest, of course but if you are only concerned with PC, the Rift is still the way to go.

Shai-Tan

Banned
Supposedly they avoided showing running etc with continuous movement to make it look more cinematic. I would have liked to see it because what they did show gives the impression you'll get frustrated and want to switch to teleport/blink

nkarafo

The voice acting is getting worse the more videos i look at. There was one where you throw a grenade or something and some guy says "nice throw" over the radio as if he is watching you all the time.

The snarky comments of the main character aren't helping.

Why is VALVE abandoning the silent protagonist in the case where it's most needed? VR is supposed to put you in the game world. It's bad enough with regular FPS but in VR it completely ruins immersion.

Last edited:
The voice acting is getting worse the more videos i look at. There was one where you throw a grenade or something and some guy says "nice throw" over the radio as if he is watching you all the time.

The snarky comments of the main character aren't helping.

Why is VALVE abandoning the silent protagonist in the case where it's most needed? VR is supposed to put you in the game world. It's bad enough with regular FPS but in VR it completely ruins immersion.
Bbecause Alyx isn't silent.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
It seems the valve index will be available again March 9th. Does anyone know if it will be fairly easy to obtain one on this date or will I have to be spamming the cart at midnight or some shit

Dacon

Banned
God I wish I could afford an index. I hate that I'm gonna have to settle for watching this on stream.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Literally cannot afford any extra expense. It's gonna be a stretch just getting Doom this month.
you do know doom will get dirt cheap if you can wait a lil ..
also cdkeys sells it cheaper then steam if ur on pc

Wonko_C

I just started playing Black Mesa and there's this funny part at the beginning in the toilets where you go grab some toilet paper and throw it over the door to save a fellow scientist from an embarrasing situation. The whole process of grabbing and throwing stuff just feels archaic and janky in comparison to the little glimpses we've seen so far of what the player will be able to do in a natural and intuitive way in Alyx. It has kinda ruined the game for me.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

They should put some Valve Indexes in a box with HL: Alyx as a pack-in, with cool art and shit. It would be like when Nintendo and Sega sold their consoles with a big game included.

*PC required to play the game not included

Last edited:
About two more weeks....

kbTvVlv.png

Top Bottom