• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx Anouncement Trailer

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
If there's any way to make me want to drop $1500 to upgrade my GPU and grab an Index VR headset... this is it lol

Yeah, it always needed to be this. For years people have been saying a proper big budget full-length game built from the ground up for VR and that it probably needed to be Half-Life. I could definitely see this being the make or break moment for VR gaming.

Tesseract

Banned
lots of justled rimmies right now huh

giphy.gif

fantomena

I think this game is a big "fuck you" to everyone who have waited for the next Half-life, and can't afford, don't have the space, or don't want to use VR.

You don't have space enough to sit? The game doesn't need to you stand up or move around.

pr0cs

Over 1000€ for the whole thing? Good Lord, that is almost two of my paychecks! Yeah I can afford it, I got reserves but damn. I'll wait a few years still.
Yeah if you don't have a pc it'll be pricey, otherwise you can get in pretty inexpensive with Rift /quest

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think this game is a big "fuck you" to everyone who have waited for the next Half-life, and can't afford, don't have the space, or don't want to use VR.

Which is probably why they didn't go with Half-Life 3.

SweetShark

With all seriousness I really want to buy a VR set just for this game and Bonework.
If they look so satisfying by just looking at them, then I can even imagine the feeling the whole thing you will have by your own control.

Also, I am so HYPE to see new characters/aliens from the HL universe!!!

Wonko_C

Some people... I could never afford to buy a Nintendo 3DS and missed on a ton of games, and you won't see me crying about it.

(I'm missing out on this for the foreseeable future too, but I'll get there some day.)

Last edited:

Stuart360

Is this Index exclusive?. At least you could use a controller if it was on Oculus. VR will only be my kind of thing when you can just use the VR for the visual immersion, but still control games with a controller.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Is this Index exclusive?. At least you could use a controller if it was on Oculus. VR will only be my kind of thing when you can just use the VR for the visual immersion, but still control games with a controller.
What? Tons of Oculus' own funded/developed games don't let you use "a controller", in fact that was mostly their old games as it was necessary before Touch controllers were released. All their biggest stuff require Touch, from Lone Echo to Asgard's Wrath and Stormland.

And yes this works with Oculus too and anything that works with SteamVR, but not with "a controller" other than Touch and equivalent tracked controllers. Vive wands, Microsoft Mixed Reality controllers, etc.

Thank god for that, VR is flat and unnecessary without hand tracking and the interactions that go with it. Like playing an arcade lightgun game with a mouse or analog stick. Just wrong. But even worse as you do more than shoot in real free locomotion VR games.

The only games that work without hand tracking are games that have you operating things other than your hands, racing games with wheels, flying games with joysticks, and other such things that are still better with actual gear for it but a controller does an ok job at.

RE7 would have been so much more (and unplayable out of VR) had it been made for a platform that actually had modern VR controllers unlike the Move. Sony botched the platform's potential by not making a Move 2 for it and just retrofitting the ancient stuff they had.

This is the kind of shit VR tracked controllers allow in real games (and this is just a small production from a small studio, never mind AAA games like Half-Life: Alyx). I'd rather experience that than twiddle my thumbs, thanks.

Last edited:

gifgaf

It's not Index exclusive but you do have to use motion controls from the one of the headset, I don't think joypads are supported.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Make it for PSVR also and maybe I'll try it. $500 or so isn't worth it for one game.

Last edited by a moderator:

SweetShark

Some people... I could never afford to buy a Nintendo 3DS and missed on a ton of games, and you won't see me crying about it.

(I'm missing out on this for the foreseeable future too, but I'll get there some day.)

Hahaha, I was like you back then and when at last bought one the only games I bought was Pokemon Moon and 2 Ace Attorney games.

June

No it's not. Most VR games does not use the kind of physics you saw in that trailer, the closest is comign on december 10th and is called Boneworks.

I know, cause Ive played a ton of VR and the biggest dissapointment with VR games so far is lack of interactivity and physics and this is especially for VR games that has also a dekstop/pancake version.

What physics, specifically?

VR really isn't about trailers. That's for regular gaming.

Hardly. You can still make implications based on what is seen in the trailer. It just doesn't look anything great to me. Nothng worth going out and purchasing a headset for certainly

Currently.

It's not even that expensive anymore. You can get a new Rift S for $400 that is very close to the Index as far as hardware specs go, and I think you may be able to find it for 350 on black friday/cyber monday. Or you can get a used Rift CV1 for around 200 bucks, or if you just really want to go cheap get a Lenovo/HP WMR headset for ~120 bucks.

Just to put it in perspective, I bought the Oculus CV1 on launch for $600 without the Touch motion controls which came later at $200 more. You can buy that same headset used for around 200 bucks now, or get the more accessible/higher resolution Rift S for half the price I paid on launch.

Last edited:

June

The less you need to use button to play in VR, the better. Instead of pressing X on your controller to open up something, you should open it up manually like you would do IRL.

I'm not watching a 15min vid on a different game lol.

What new physics were shown the trailer? Genuinely curious.

Kadayi

Banned
VR only = no from me dawg. I get that they want to innovate and stuff but it’s a strange business decision.

The Keighley interview (posted earlier in the thread) basically confirms that the whole purpose of the title is to grow the VR userbase by shipping headsets. They said they considered a number of their IPs discounting multiplayer due to the lower player bases (so no to CS, TF2 or L4D) and they opted not to go with Portal because the velocity and momentum would just result in people getting sick in VR which wouldn't be good. HL made sense because they were prototyping using existing game assets. There was no grand plan, which is why this isn't going to be the conclusion to the episodic trilogy.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The Keighley interview (posted earlier in the thread) basically confirms that the whole purpose of the title is to grow the VR userbase by shipping headsets. They said they considered a number of their IPs discounting multiplayer due to the lower player bases (so no to CS, TF2 or L4D) and they opted not to go with Portal because the velocity and momentum would just result in people getting sick in VR which wouldn't be good. HL made sense because they were prototyping using existing game assets. There was no grand plan, which is why this isn't going to be the conclusion to the episodic trilogy.
They've also said these:
While it does take place before the events of Half-Life 2, we actually recommend that you play through Half-Life 2: Episode 2 before you play Half-Life: Alyx, for reasons that will become clear as you progress.
It’s not a side story, nor an episodic one — it’s the next part of the Half-Life story, in a game around the same length as Half-Life 2.

Kind of silly to try to downplay an AAA game project with a huge IP attached as some little experiment just meant to push this or that just because it doesn't have a number in the title.

Yeah they at some point decided to use the Half-Life IP for a VR flagship game, hence they properly designed a full Half-Life game around VR as they would have out of it and just as they could decide to do with any other IP in or out of VR and then try and make the best game they can.

Even if it was a non VR game it doesn't mean they'd jump to 3 right away (or that 3 necessarily rounds off a trilogy, we're still missing HL2: Episode 3, as well Half-Life 3) after all this time but rather use the opportunity to make a big game borne out of the desire to "push Source 2.x" or whatever.

Last edited:
Sooooo hyped for this! Never played any Half Life games, but mannnnn I think this is just the kind of game VR needs! Seems so grand and AAA, and gave me the feeling Valve is back.

Kadayi

Banned
Kind of silly to try to downplay an AAA project ad some little experiment just because it doesn't have a number in the title. Yeah they at some point decided to use Half-Life IP for their VR glagship game, hence they properly designed a full Half-Life game around VR as they would out of it.

I'd didn't say it was an experiment (or a tech demo), but it certainly isn't a sequel versus a prequel to HL2. The whole reason they would want people to replay Episode 2 would be because invariably the game will round out some of Alyx's and Eli's relationship. Personally I'm hoping Mossman is in it.

TBH I think the smarter move though would have been to come up with a distinct VR IP free of any existing associations. Valve's name alone would carry enough Cache to garner interest and it would also free them up from peoples expectations.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

What a big fuck you to all the Half Life fans out there....

Let's analyse this situation. So 2 years ago, many big companies, including Valve thought that VR is the next big shit (despite VR being around for decades, albeit with less graphical fidelity). Lot's of big companies threw billions into this new technology.

Pretty soon, however, it became evident that VR is NOT the next big thing. Actually most people didn't give a shit. The big companies tried everything. Shilling the hell out of VR on the internet (even on OLD Gaf), producing new games for example, yet it all turned out to be a typical dreamcast situation: VR sells bad because nobody gives a shit > developers are reserved to release games for it and are waiting until it sells better and install base gets bigger > VR install base doesn't grow because there are no good games for it > developers get more reluctant to commit > VR base still doesn't grow because of no games, and so on.

This situation has been going on for 2 or 3 years. It should be evident that VR is a failure, yet companies like Valve undertake ridiculous messures to turn VR around. I mean, they have to, right? They spent so much money on a technology that wasn't the next coming of jesus.

Seeing Valve use Half Life as one of those desperate messures is pretty upsetting. Many years fans have been asking for a new entry, and only now they are bringing it to life, but only because they were so gullible to fall for the VR-meme, not because they thought developing a next entry of Half Life (one of the most successfull FPS of all time) would make SENSE.

fantomena

What a big fuck you to all the Half Life fans out there....

Let's analyse this situation. So 2 years ago, many big companies, including Valve thought that VR is the next big shit (despite VR being around for decades, albeit with less graphical fidelity). Lot's of big companies threw billions into this new technology.

Pretty soon, however, it became evident that VR is NOT the next big thing. Actually most people didn't give a shit. The big companies tried everything. Shilling the hell out of VR on the internet (even on OLD Gaf), producing new games for example, yet it all turned out to be a typical dreamcast situation: VR sells bad because nobody gives a shit > developers are reserved to release games for it and are waiting until it sells better and install base gets bigger > VR install base doesn't grow because there are no good games for it > developers get more reluctant to commit > VR base still doesn't grow because of no games, and so on.

This situation has been going on for 2 or 3 years. It should be evident that VR is a failure, yet companies like Valve undertake ridiculous messures to turn VR around. I mean, they have to, right? They spent so much money on a technology that wasn't the next coming of jesus.

Seeing Valve use Half Life as one of those desperate messures is pretty upsetting. Many years fans have been asking for a new entry, and only now they are bringing it to life, but only because they were so gullible to fall for the VR-meme, not because they thought developing a next entry of Half Life (one of the most successfull FPS of all time) would make SENSE.

Very good analysis.

gifgaf

VR sells bad because nobody gives a shit
Headsets are consistently high sellers, Index, Quest, Rift S all sold out when released. Your salt is clouding your judgment. Do some research before you make your comments instead of guessing. VR is growing, the hype around this game proves it. Yes I know it sucks being a VR exclusive for some people but it's no different than Valve making HL3 and giving Microsoft exclusivity for the Xbone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom