• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx - Official Gameplay Trailer - IGN First.

TELEPORTATION IS AN OPTION. NOT REQUIRED. We know you wish it was the only option to assist your agenda, but it's not.

I own Oculus Rift S and played my share of VR games, obviously teleportation is optional but this is how they decided to showcase their game on arguably the biggest video game website in the world.

At the time of my previous post I only watched the IGN video mentioned in the subject. Now that I've seen additional gameplay footage released by Valve I stand by my opinion. IGN first clip is terrible. They showed the most bland and boring section of the game and used the worst traversal mechanic known to mankind. Valve Gameplay Video 2 looks great in comparison.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I own Oculus Rift S and played my share of VR games, obviously teleportation is optional but this is how they decided to showcase their game on arguably the biggest video game website in the world.

At the time of my previous post I only watched the IGN video mentioned in the subject. Now that I've seen additional gameplay footage released by Valve I stand by my opinion. IGN first clip is terrible. They showed the most bland and boring section of the game and used the worst traversal mechanic known to mankind. Valve Gameplay Video 2 looks great in comparison.
You didn't even skim through all of that "biggest video game website" 's video, they switch to free movement halfway through. Why would Valve assume people can't read information and force journalists/devs who may even get motion sick for all you know to play it only one way? Especially when just as you stand by your reactionary misnformed post they also stand by the inclusion of teleport as a viable way to play and include people who otherwise can't. It's been known the game has all these locomotion methods since its own announcement, with the information image I also put in the OP. Even if they had not shown free locomotion here the info has been spread as much as the game's existence. When you posted I had already edited the OP to make it clear with the first line of text for all who may have missed it and the IGN videos "in the subject" were dead last, so, nonsense.

Last edited:

Wonko_C

Back in December, we sat down with Valve's Robin Walker and Greg Coomer for an in-depth conversation about designing the game to showcase the potential of virtual reality and lessons learned during development. Don't worry, no game spoilers here!

Last edited:

GrayChild

wSXNQzn.jpg

GOAT incoming.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The materials in this game are beautiful, some of the best I've ever seen.
Really can't wait to see the whole game unfortunately it'll have to be via Youtube.

I kinda hope in future games they move away from City 17, though. I want to see new locales and especially new dimensions.

Darkmakaimura

I know this sounds crazy but despite the fact I'll never be able to afford VR and the PC required to run it, I'm still going to buy the game when I have money to spare.

I'll be honest, I'm not thrilled about the game being VR exclusive and I'd rather it be a traditional PC game.

But.... I'm still a fan of the series and realistically, I think it'll be at least a 'good' game. I'll have no regrets giving Valve money for this game because....

1) I'm a fan of the series and I consider it to be the best FPS series made

2) I want to complete my collection

3) I want that fat discount Michael Moore looking bastard to make more HL games

4) I legitimately believe this will be at the very least a decent game

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Cost of tech always decreases over time. HL2 took a somewhat beefy PC to run it well when it first came out, now it can run on a cell phone. You’ll be able to afford it eventually if price is what’s holding you back.

Also everyone can relax, my RMA index controllers will be here Monday. I know this was a source of grave concern in the community

Wonko_C

I'm in the camp that can't afford either a powerful PC nor the VR hardware. At this rate I won't even be able to afford any of the next-gen consoles. But I've decided to stop procrastinating and do something about it, and I can't believe all it took was a game in a series I didn't really care for until this game's announcement. I'm in Shia LaBeouf's "Do it!" mode now. :messenger_bicep:

Darkmakaimura

Cost of tech always decreases over time. HL2 took a somewhat beefy PC to run it well when it first came out, now it can run on a cell phone. You’ll be able to afford it eventually if price is what’s holding you back.

Also everyone can relax, my RMA index controllers will be here Monday. I know this was a source of grave concern in the community
I hear ya but unfortunately I still haven't been able to afford a decent PC even after over a decade.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm in the camp that can't afford either a powerful PC nor the VR hardware. At this rate I won't even be able to afford any of the next-gen consoles. But I've decided to stop procrastinating and do something about it, and I can't believe all it took was a game in a series I didn't really care for until this game's announcement. I'm in Shia LaBeouf's "Do it!" mode now. :messenger_bicep:
If you have a sound plan to be able to afford things I'd like to be included, Profesor (not a typo, just in Spanish) >_>

Last edited:

Wonko_C

If you have a sound plan to be able to afford things I'd like to be included, Profesor (not a typo, just in Spanish) >_>

Not a sound plan TBH. I'll just try harder to stop being unemployed/have a breakthrough in making a successful startup, whichever comes first. ¡Ánimo!

Top Bottom