• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Half-Life: Alyx - Official Gameplay Trailer - IGN First.

Romulus

Wow, gameplay took a hit, it seems very slow, lineal, and I don´t believe there is much room to approach the enemies and situations from different angles with tactics. I don´t know if it has AAA budget but it looks like an express game... like: "We are making a HL game for the index, don´t complicate yourselves, something quick"

I'm not sure which videos you watched, but I see plenty of options.

You need to shut up now please, you are pulling shit out of your ass and you are making yourself look like a gigantic ass. You don't press X to do anything in those clips. All of that is done with your hand and grabbing the needle from the toilet. The construction hat is grabbed by your reaching for it and physically putting it on top of your head with your hand, PLEASE STOP SPREADING LIES.

Oh you mean by flipping the hat 360 like a gangster from the 50s? Yeah that definitely looked like something a user did in VR by themselves 😂.... and its your choice to throw it off your head when you exit the room? Suuuuuuure. Also learn to read, i said how this would of looked like if it wasnt VR control wise. I never said you press X in VR. I said if its non VR that animation would result in pressing X on the controler because somehow the poster said its impossible on non vr hardware.

Last edited:

Sygma

You absolutely can't get a grasp on how VR look without having the headset on your head period, also you can turn up the resolution with steamvr options.

So many trash takes already. What they're showing here is really cool in terms of interactivity

Also since you guys don't seem to realise, you need to shoot / aim as if you were actually doing it for real, meaning you gotta close an eye in the headset or find something natural for you. Blood & Truth was amazing on that stuff

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. Here's how (some) VR games are played, for those who think it's just the same as pressing X for awesome or dragging crosshair around with a thumb stick, just with a screen on your face or something :messenger_unamused:

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
I was momentarily worried they were still not showing smooth movement but now I see that's why there are 3 trailers.

This looks phenomenal. It's pretty much everything I'd want in a modern Half Life (other than being a direct story continuation of course). I cannot friggin wait.

Sygma

Oh you mean by flipping the hat 360 like a gangster from the 50s? Yeah that definitely looked like something a user did in VR by themselves 😂.... and its your choice to throw it off your head when you exit the room? Suuuuuuure. Also learn to read, i said how this would of looked like if it wasnt VR control wise. I never said you press X in VR. I said if its non VR that animation would result in pressing X on the controler because somehow the poster said its impossible on non vr hardware.

In Blood & Truth you can unpin nades with your teeth and throw them, or catch grenades thrown at you then send them back, or fan the hammer of a colt etc. You can smoke cigars and do all kinds of stuff, I got no doubt Valve cranked that up by 11

Lol. Here's how (some) VR games are played, for those who think it's just the same as pressing X for awesome or dragging crosshair around with a thumb stick, just with a screen on your face or something :messenger_unamused:

One of the best thing when trying VR for the first time is that "AHA" moment when you're overthinking on how to look behind you....just look behind you :D

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
bSc4ets.png

Type_Raver

Just as my excitement was winding down, this has got me back on the market looking for an Oculus Rift again!

Half Life (all titles) is one of my favourites of all time, but i've been on and off the bandwagon for HL Alyx due to the VR requirements. However after seen these latest gameplay clips, especially the 2nd one (seeing the environment and puzzles) and 3rd one with the action sequence, im fully onboard once again! I just love the combine, the destruction mix with the new buildings in the environment, plus the ambient music that fills the quieter moments.

I'd like to say id play full motion (continuous) while sitting/standing, i am curious how "teleport" and "shift" feel when playing in headset.
Also, can you teleport backwards while looking forwards, so you can still look at your target? (doesnt seem like it)

Half-Life-Alyx-Locomotion.jpg

Last edited:

Alexios

You can usually teleport in any direction whether you're looking or not (obviously sacrificing your accuracy if you look away) as well as, in many games, turn the analog stick to dictate which direction you'll be facing where you appear. No clue if Alyx does anything to restrict/enhance these.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Just as my excitement was winding down, this has got me back on the market looking for an Oculus Rift again!

Half Life (all titles) is one of my favourites of all time, but i've been on and off the bandwagon for HL Alyx due to the VR requirements. However after seen these latest gameplay clips, especially the 2nd one (seeing the environment and puzzles) and 3rd one with the action sequence, im fully onboard once again! I just love the combine, the destruction mix with the new buildings in the environment, plus the ambient music that fills the quieter moments.

I'd like to say id play full motion (continuous) while sitting/standing, i am curious how "teleport" and "shift" feel when playing in headset.
Also, can you teleport backwards while looking forwards, so you can still look at your target? (doesnt seem like it)

Half-Life-Alyx-Locomotion.jpg
Same. I never got sick from fps so I'd go all in walking continuous.

The music is good too. Is there any music from this game uploaded to Youtube yet?

What really impressed me the most was the interactivity. It's like an adventure game but in an fps environment.

I also liked how the ominous Combine doors would transform and retract.

What still most excites me the most is the story. I wanna know what that big "spaceship" thing is which I think they refer to as 'The Vault' in earlier videos.

Last edited:

pr0cs

never got sick from fps
For me depends entirely on the game, some games smooth movement is fine, Skyrim for example. In others though Windlands, Gorn too much time in there with smooth movement can go very bad very quickly.
Very performance related, I have faith in valve in getting it right but not all games are good with smooth motion. I don't get the hate for teleportation, usually people who hate it haven't actually tried vr and compare it to shooting gallery type games.
Everything is different in VR compared to pancake gaming so saying teleportation sucks shows how little some people have tried vr

MGHA

btw - if a headset will become available... is index really that much more essential to the experience compared to S?
I've had S but sold it since there were no games... but now I am kinda hyped anyway again and index is expensive

btw - the voice actor.... kinda sucks. Why have they not hired original Alyx lady
No one knows. Not even the original voice actress.

Darkmakaimura

No one knows. Not even the original voice actress.
Really?

What the hell? Maybe they needed a voice actress on the quick and couldn't reach the original?

But yeah that's weird if even Merle Dandridge didn't decline and doesn't know why.

ZywyPL

Banned
If you don't know anything about something (like you don't show shit about VR games given this post) then why form & spread ignorant bullshit as a so called opinion? Seriously, what's wrong with you? Read the image in the OP, or actually view all the 3 short official videos maybe as the first one shows mostly teleport, the second mostly free locomotion and the third the shift locomotion, or maybe look into literally any other VR FPS. The solution only you are oblivious to is the same as in any 3D game, VR doesn't change it and developers have embraced it. It's that same analog stick, duh.
Have you even tried VR, sure sounds like you have not and are just word vomiting anti-vr schtick with the same bs lies or half truths.
VR FPS games play almost just like a normal game, it just doesn't translate in videos because people are looking around and shit. I play doom in VR, lighting fast and I'm probably a touch better with VR. It works extremely well.
The only people who say VR is great tech for specifically stationary games are people who've never actually used VR before, or at least people who haven't tried titles that have actual good locomotion mechanics. Driving/flight/rollercoaster games are a niche in VR. Most VR users don't even play these games.

Just imagine playing Battlefield in VR? Yeah, I'm imagining that and it's giving me chills, having bullets whizzing by me with 63 other players in frantic warfare with all the tactical options that VR gives you.

Funny because I actually tried several VR systems in several scenarios - once at a local gaming convention, where they had this motion simulators, where people could play PCars, some flight sim, some cheap ass rollercoaster simulator (which was still awesome), stuff like this, and I dare to say that was indeed on of the best gaming experiences I ever had. But then my cousin has an Oculus Rift and is a huge slight sim maniac, and while he obviously doesn't have the motion system that adds A LOT to the experience, it is still really well suited for the task. But on the other hand, playing any other games that are not simulators, stationary simulators, simply fucking sucks, it's like trying to masturbate with your left foot while you have a naked girl right next to you with legs spread wide just waiting for you to go in... Same for my friends PSVR, there are obviously better and worse titles, but still... I mean, sure, you can have a 5-10min. clown fiesta and pretend it's cool, but then you just go back to the ordinary, normal games.

So I don't know, I probably had more (various) experiences with VR than any of you guys, but I guess you are the die hard VR fanboys I just mentioned who attack anyone who dares to say a bad word about your precious VR, and you felt like you're called up to the board... What can I say, keep living under your bubble.

Last edited:

Alexios

As if this information is brand new so someone so well versed in all that VR has to offer so far could think Valve has devised something new in terms of locomotion methods, going by the inputs of the Index controllers themselves being analog sticks and buttons and trackpads and the 3 control schemes announced alongside the game months ago somehow one could have thought they have a locomotion trump card and these videos prove they don't leading to this surprise and profound disappointment! Sorry dude but you went from posting shit that clearly shows you have no fucking clue what sorts of games and control schemes are available in VR or what Alyx is like because watching more than one clip in the OP is too hard to now explaining you've tried everything there is to try and then some, you have friends after all (this might be the most tough to believe part of your post, lol) and everything that's not in a vehicle sucks, okay, I'm convinced, thanks, cool cool cool :messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_clapping:

Last edited:

Romulus

Funny because I actually tried several VR systems in several scenarios - once at a local gaming convention, where they had this motion simulators, where people could play PCars, some flight sim, some cheap ass rollercoaster simulator (which was still awesome), stuff like this, and I dare to say that was indeed on of the best gaming experiences I ever had. But then my cousin has an Oculus Rift and is a huge slight sim maniac, and while he obviously doesn't have the motion system that adds A LOT to the experience, it is still really well suited for the task. But on the other hand, playing any other games that are not simulators, stationary simulators, simply fucking sucks, it's like trying to masturbate with your left foot while you have a naked girl right next to you with legs spread wide just waiting for you to go in... Same for my friends PSVR, there are obviously better and worse titles, but still... I mean, sure, you can have a 5-10min. clown fiesta and pretend it's cool, but then you just go back to the ordinary, normal games.

So I don't know, I probably had more (various) experiences with VR than any of you guys, but I guess you are the die hard VR fanboys I just mentioned who attack anyone who dares to say a bad word about your precious VR, and you felt like you're called up to the board... What can I say, keep living under your bubble.

Yeah, you definitely haven't played any top tier VR games or you would have mentioned them. Psvr and a PC flight sim. Okay.

Romulus

You haven't even tried VR. And even if you did, you havent had more experience in 3 months than my 5 years son.

Last edited:

nkarafo

I hope we can make the main character shut the hell up. This would really put me out of the game.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Yeah, you definitely haven't played any top tier VR games or you would have mentioned them. Psvr and a PC flight sim. Okay.

Excuse me that I didn't even bother remembering names of the games that bore me to death/almost made me vomit after literally 10-15min... I wouldn't even call them games, more like demos/tech-demos to begin with.

You haven't even tried VR.

Well, looks like you know me better that I myself do... For real, grow up and accept the fact that people have different opinions and you. I don't even know who the fuck you are, just some random from the internet, your personal opinion is absolutely irrelevant compared to my own personal experiences, deal with it. Or not, it's your choice, but you are hurting no one but yourself by forcingly pushing your agenda.

VR bros are really aggressive. I get that feeling too when I'm dealing with retards. But the elephant in the room is people don't want VR, are not going to spend money on it and this shit isn't helping. It feels like reading the Stadia subreddit at times. Keep up the faith or you get excommunicated. The HATERS. They just don't... get it. Not like us. So this is the sacred cow, the prophetical date for the second coming. If they doesn't deliver.... we VR bros are finished, but maybe we should keep this up even if it doesn't pan out. It doesn't have to be the real VR prophecy, it's just the beginning of the next beginning.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
VR bros are really aggressive. I get that feeling too when I'm dealing with retards. But the elephant in the room is people don't want VR, are not going to spend money on it and this shit isn't helping. It feels like reading the Stadia subreddit at times. Keep up the faith or you get excommunicated. The HATERS. They just don't... get it. Not like us. So this is the sacred cow, the prophetical date for the second coming. If they doesn't deliver.... we VR bros are finished, but maybe we should keep this up even if it doesn't pan out. It doesn't have to be the real VR prophecy, it's just the beginning of the next beginning.
what is this post... everyone with own opinion is not a hater. I've had all oculus headsets starting 2013... and yet I am still a hater?

For me, atmosphere is the biggest draw of VR. While SkyrimVR is a bit janky, as it's not built from the ground up for VR, walking around Skyrim in VR was just bliss. Simply Beautiful

On the flip side, Alien Isolation, again not built for VR, was fucking terrifying. I haven't noped out of a game so quick in my life.

Vr, in it's current iteration, is still in its' infancy. Once the genres are worked out, then we will see it shine. Think, 2D side scrollers to 3D side scrollers (Sonic to Crash Bandicoot) back in the day. Was Crash a good game? Yeah. But was a the best use of 3D? Hell no.

Likewise i can see Vr being 'good' at emulating the standard experience of FPS', but it will take time, new ideas and maybe new genres to really see it fly.

3D, modern FPS' have to keep you interested by blowing your mind with explosions, fast action and quick game-play. Maybe, like in the example above, VR can do some of that, but to really shine, it needs to move away from some elements?

Just like we still play 2D side scrollers, in 2D, mainly because the 3D versions are lacking. We will one day play a slower FPS game in VR, but with the atmosphere, fear and story driven up to 11?

Romulus

Vr bros are aggressive yet the post directly above yours by far the most aggressive post in here, by miles. But that's completely fine. :)

Romulus

Excuse me that I didn't even bother remembering names of the games that bore me to death/almost made me vomit after literally 10-15min... I wouldn't even call them games, more like demos/tech-demos to begin with.

Exactly my point. No one would play the top tier VR games and mistake them as tech demos.

Last edited:

The one living under a bubble is you, as the data proves. VR users are mostly playing games outside of what you consider the only applicable genres. Case closed.

Last edited:
wXCYwAu.gif

Valve kan keep their on rails shooter and gimmics. Hopefully next time when they feel like making a game they actually make one. I mean just look at this cringe :messenger_grinning_sweat:

wXCYwAu.gif

Valve kan keep their on rails shooter and gimmics. Hopefully next time when they feel like making a game they actually make one. I mean just look at this cringe :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Glad to know you're schooling us all on the definition of a game, a real game rather than this fake plastic whatever-something. As you're so well-endowed, why don't you apply to Valve and go make something for them? Rile the team up behind your idea. Tell them VR is a waste.

I'll count the days before you get kicked out for the lack of game design knowledge on display here; it won't take long, believe me.

INC

Was worried them showing teleport movement, if there was no locomotion movement I wouldn't buy

Luckily they showed full locomotion too, some of that that looks extremely scripted tho, and a little off with how someone would really move

Wonko_C

Was worried them showing teleport movement, if there was no locomotion movement I wouldn't buy

Luckily they showed full locomotion too, some of that that looks extremely scripted tho, and a little off with how someone would really move
I find myself doing that when making a video and trying to show-off the "VR-ness" of it. I tend to emphasize (exaggerate) hand movements, turn my head around to show up stuff. It's no different than what copmanies do with their gameplay demos, walking slowly and doing slow camera pans to make it feel cinematic.

Last edited:

INC

I find myself doing that when making a video and trying to show-off the "VR-ness" of it. I tend to emphasize (exaggerate) hand movements, turn my head around to show up stuff. It's no different than what copmanies do with their gameplay demos, walking slowly and doing slow camera pans to make it feel cinematic.

True, just looked like a ubi/ea promo. Cant wait to see the jank physics videos

Hope it's not a massive disappointment like saints and sinners

Yup, we have no REAL gameplay of this game coming out in 2 weeks, and I imagine it's because of the usual VR jankiness that cannot be hidden, probably moreso on the NOT$1000 VR devices. Not a good look.

Was going to paste some Watchdogs 2012/Final Fantasy XV 2013.

Kenpachii

Almost an deal breaker, luckily full locomotion is in. Make sme more sick seeing someone teleport everywhere

Is it literally just SP? No other modes?

What they need to do is check where you look at and then let the character move like blink with your eyes to a spot or something.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I feel that "teleportation looks bad" people have not played too many fps games in vr... Moving around with control stick when standing in vr causes instant sickness for me.. and I am a vr veteran

INC

What they need to do is check where you look at and then let the character move like blind with your eyes to a spot or something.

I just refuse to play a VR game if it has no full locomotion option.

I have a pulley system, so dont even use my stick to turn, I use my full body to move in real time, but having no stick movement is just big no no for me.

I get 0 sickness from full locomotion, play onward, pavlov and every other Fps with no issue

Last edited:
I just refuse to play a VR game if it has no full locomotion option.

I have a pulley system, so dont even use my stick to turn, I use my full body to move in real time, but having no stick movement is just big no no for me.

I get 0 sickness from full locomotion, play onward, pavlov and every other Fps with no issue
How is playing sitting in a chair using a joystick to move?

Wonko_C

How is playing sitting in a chair using a joystick to move?
That is how I play most VR games nowadays, from my chair I play No Man's Sky with the Move controllers when on foot. I also have the Dualshock 4 on a small chair next to me and effortlessly pick it up whenever I need to get on my ship and fly.

I also play Borderlands 2 VR sitting down on my chair with the Aim Controller. That one has two analog sticks and using smooth locomotion I can pretty much move around the place like on a TV FPS. I jump all the time, circle-strafe with ease, etc. The only difference is that you don't move the second stick to aim, you just directly point your gun (Aim Controller) And just use the right stick for turning.

Last edited:

Bootzilla

Banned
btw - the voice actor.... kinda sucks. Why have they not hired original Alyx lady
They did. They actually brought her in and she recorded most of the game.

The official reason for changing it is they wanted someone who sounded younger, but I don't know that I buy it, given the original actress still sounds just fine to me.

Darkmakaimura

They did. They actually brought her in and she recorded most of the game.

The official reason for changing it is they wanted someone who sounded younger, but I don't know that I buy it, given the original actress still sounds just fine to me.
So there's two voice actresses for the same character in-game?

Top Bottom