• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 composers revealed

Neil Davidge, who worked with Massive Attack on some of their later albums, will be composing the score for 343's first game. Matt Dunkley, an orchestrator who's worked on films like Inception and the Dark Knight, is conducting, Edge has revealed. The ungrateful task of following up on Marty's epic scores is now theirs.

Listen to a soundtrack sample here.

The team working on the music for 343 Industries' upcoming Halo 4 have confirmed that they are moving on from the series' iconic themes and Gregorian chants. They insist, however, that they have nothing but the highest regard for Bungie composer Marty O'Donnell's work.

With the series out of Bungie's hands, and development passed to 343 Industries, it's clear that Halo 4 will be something of a departure from the established series template. That's certainly the case for its soundtrack; Neil Davidge, a former member of Bristol-based trip-hop outfit Massive Attack, is composing the game's music.

Both he and right-hand man Matt Dunkley believe it is time for the series to move on - meaning O'Donnell's iconic compositions are being left behind. In an interview, Dunkley, an orchestrator and arranger whose CV features the likes of Inception, Batman: The Dark Knight and Iron Man, tells us that Microsoft and 343 made a conscious decision to move on, but insists that should not be interepreted as disrespect or distate for the Bungie composer's work.

"We respect absolutely what [O'Donnell] did, and obviously these iconic themes are very close to gamers' hearts," he tells us. "So we all listened to what he'd done, and I think you'll always be on a hiding to nothing if you're trying to pastiche that. Instead, we wanted to take that to another level.

"Hopefully the Halo fans will see that we're being respectful," he says, "but we've also taken it somewhere else, and maybe onto a higher plane. If you're always trying to reference back, you're not creating new things."

Davidge only began working with Massive Attack in 1996, and as such wasn't involved in their laid-back, melodic early work. Instead, his first full-length project with the group was their third album, Mezzanine, which steered their sound in a markedly darker direction. He's worked in film, too, scoring Clash Of The Titans for Warner Bros - but what can he bring to the Halo series? During a visit to his Bristol studio, he tells us of his love of the series, and the recognition that taking on O'Donnell's work head-on would be a mistake.

"Personally, I've loved those games and I've spent a lot of time with them, and gone through each several times," he says. "I enjoy them. They can't be bettered, as far as I'm concerned. I didn't sign on to this to improve on what Bungie and Marty have done, but just to take it somewhere else.

"It's a new journey, it's a new story, it's a new arc, and so I feel like my job is not to revolutionise or reinvent but to continue the evolution, and I have a slightly different voice to those guys.

"I have fresh energy to bring to a project like this. And everybody at 343 has the same intense passion that I have to contunue the story. The passion of the people that are involved in this project makes you want to do your very best. And then go beyond that."

Announced at E3 last June, Halo 4 will be released for Xbox 360 before the year is out. There's a preview of the game in our latest issue, E240, which is on sale today; look out for more from Davidge and Dunkley in a future issue.
Credit to Hypertrooper for finding this.

It's definitely... Interesting. Both don't seem to have a great deal of experience in composing: Davidge has worked with Massive Attack and did one track for Clash of the Titans and some lesser-known movies. Dunkley has done a lot of orchestrating and conducting, but has only composed a few TV series and movies. It'll be interesting to see what they do.

Some work by Davidge: Push, Be My Weapon

GrizzNKev

Banned
"Hopefully the Halo fans will see that we're being respectful," he says, "but we've also taken it somewhere else, and maybe onto a higher plane. If you're always trying to reference back, you're not creating new things."
But Marty exists on the highest plane already. Halo 4 confirmed for 5th dimensional music.

gaming_noob

What's the website to that Inception siren/horn? Fits well with this thread.
It's good news to me, I enjoyed their work in those films.

What's the website to that Inception siren/horn? Fits well with this thread.
It's good news to me, I enjoyed their work in those films.

From what I gather, Dunkley's more of a conductor and orchestrator rather than an actual composer. I'm not sure, but it's possible that's his role on Halo 4, too.

Then again, Neil Davidge hasn't exactly done a lot of composing, either. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this.

Fuck yes! So far the music in the Vidoc for Halo 4 was incredible. I have no doubt this will probably have the best OST in the series. Or at least on par with the previous in terms of quality.

Judging by the sound they were creating in that video, I'm excited to hear the new direction.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Well, can't say this got me excited or anything. Never heard of them, and looking on their past work through Wiki and IMDB...

Well let's just say I don't see a single reason to pop the champagne over this.

Daft_Cat

I don't believe for a second that the main theme will be absent. It shouldn't be, either. Other than that, they're right though..for the most part, everything should be new.

Neil Davidge, who worked with Massive Attack on some of their later albums, and Matt Dunkley, an orchestrator who's worked on films like Inception and the Dark Knight

S1iEL.png

GrizzNKev

Banned
I don't believe for a second that the main theme will be absent. It shouldn't be, either. They're right though..for the most part, everything should be new.

The original theme was in the first trailer so you're probably right about that.

Have you even bothered to listen to the music featured in the Vidoc?

I thought it was pretty decent. It'll be good, I'm sure, but I doubt it will be any kind of improvement.

I saw the Vidoc, can't remember the music. I'll check it out.

Apologies for sounding like a douche. I'm just passionate about music I guess.

Music in the Vidoc is radically different from anything previous, so I'm excited for the new direction.

Great piece. Tbh, I found the song that plays in the first minute to be the greatest. Really can't wait to hear the rest of the score!

Petrichor

Well, can't say this got me excited or anything. Never heard of them, and looking on their past work through Wiki and IMDB...

All that's important is how their work sounds in Halo 4, and the piece in the recent viddoc sounded excellent.

Pessimism not necessary.

V_Ben

Banned
ODST quite possibly had one of the best soundtracks i've heard in a while. Let's see if they can top it.

ODST quite possibly had one of the best soundtracks i've heard in a while. Let's see if they can top it.
Indeed, ODST's was something beyond great.

Happy to hear about Davidge. Have liked what I have heard so far, but will wait and see.
The less inception horn the better. None of it, if possible.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Well Inception and The Dark Knight had fantastic music, I guess that's one reason!

I look forward to see what they can do in the Halo universe.

You can hear some of the new music in this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UL63Zo-uo

The music in the second half of this video is, as I've always thought, incredible and absolutely comparable to Marty's music. I am a huge fan of the music to Halo, and I somewhat immediately doubt that this can rise to that level, but I admit that I have been really impressed by the little I've heard so far.

I also really liked that extra sci-fi-y theme that was in that one video back in August.

I will DEFINITELY be supportive of his/their role and hope for the best. They have an enormously intimidating task and I'm sure many musicians would opt to back out.

StUnNeR H2K

Big challenge to take on. Torn to see Marty out of the picture, but excited to hear someone elses take on the Halo Universe.

Top Bottom