• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 composers revealed

Sounds good, but sort of typical. I think having access to the Two Steps and other libraries of production music (like Position) has spoiled me. I'm sure it will be heavenly in-game, though.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Personally, I wish the soundtrack was much more in line with the concept art trailer

That, my friends, is a damn good soundtrack

But now we know where the inception horn came from lol

Thoraxes

Cinematic Halo music is going to take some time to get used to.

Not that I don't like this stuff (it's texturally sound and nicely orchestrated), but for me I miss the attitude (disclaimer: by attitude I just mean that sense of organicism, unknown, the feeling of being small in this huge universe; it just seems absent in this and not personal enough anymore like that initial journey was) of what Halo music meant. Don't take this statement as, "I want Marty" because that's not what this statement means at all. I'm just speaking from a composition level that it's a bit too incidental for my tastes and preference for a Halo soundworld. (READ: I'm not saying it's bad composition at all)

I applaud Davidge for going boldly into a completely different direction and for doing so confidently, (and they're good works what we've heard), but for me it doesn't embody that same attitude that i've come to expect from Halo games. There's lots of ways to maintain attitude but to completely bring your own style to the table compositionally, but here I feel there's just a straight up disjunct as of now. I have a feeling though (based on the viddocs) that the cinematic music is more in line with the cinematic atmosphere described in the March 5th viddoc.

I'll wait to hear more though, for sure. Also, OST thread will be fun this year.

Monocle

I like the direction it's going in from the video; not trying to replicate Marty, but move in a whole new direction. That is a good thing.

I didn't latch onto any memorable cue or melody from the video, and though it was just all snippets I was hoping for some piece to make a stronger statement. Hopefully we get a better sample in the longer piece to be released.
See, this is what I was hoping to hear in the video, but nothing stood out to me the same way that so many of Marty's tracks do. I'm hoping for Halo 4's soundtrack to have some really distinctive pieces like Under Cover of Night and Peril, music that doesn't just hang behind a scene like drapery and flutter when something happens onstage, but stands on its own feet and contributes to the performance.

I doubt many people would argue that Marty's music is an essential part of Halo's identity. Personally, I feel sure that I would care a lot less about this series without all the memories I associate with the score. Rivaling what Marty's work has brought to Halo is an incredibly tall order, yet I have to remind myself that it's too early for pessimism—or so I'd like to believe. The theme in the making-of vidoc does give me hope that the new composers are on the right path. Can't help it if I'm still a bit nervous, though. To be completely honest, I'll be upset if there's no trace of any theme from past games.

The sample sounds like the soundtrack to a generic-ass summer action movie. It sounds like GI Joe or Transformers or some shit. I'm so goddamn tired of that wall of noise. I am incredibly disappointed.

I mean, say what you will about the overall Halo presentation, but the music was at least unique before.

Top Bottom