• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 composers revealed

GrizzNKev

Banned
I want 343i to completely change Halo. I've had it with Bungie. It was great, they had their run and they said farewell. Why do people want to play the same game over and over again is beyond me.

Music sounds brilliant. Different, but still amazing. Artstyle is also different, but much more mature and considerably better. Campaign and story seems to be on their focus and with guys from Retro leading the design and people from R* and Pixar doing cutscenes it should be whole another ball game. MP, while just reading GI impressions took for a bit different route, but we don't know everything about it, we haven't even seen it in action.

There is stuff people are not good with hearing, but things like sprinting add for better experience to me.

On top of that, visuals from 343i are magnificent, and production values seems to be up to 11. People should stop whining for a bit and wait for E3 and more details.

Then why we still got Halo? :lol

I do not doubt in any way that Halo 4 is going to be a fantastic game. It looks great, it sounds great, the music is fine, the story seems really interesting, and all of that is totally cool with me. But if they're going for something completely new and different, then I don't really think it should be called Halo.

Jesus Christ, Halo fans are so unreceptive to change it's unbelievable. "Why doesn't this sound like the music I've been hearing for over ten years?! I don't like it because it's not composed by Marty O'donnell."

I'd argue that Halo fans are actually quite a diverse bunch who rarely agree on anything - which must make developing any new Halo game a complete and utter nightmare, lol!

GrizzNKev

Banned
Level 3 was way better then Level 6 from Game 2.

WRONG! Graphics were the tightest on Level 2.

But yeah, Master Chief is wearing new armor, yet we're supposed to assume he's the same guy stepping out of the cryotube that stepped in four years prior. I like to think that supports my argument. Perhaps I'll just assume this Halo is set in an alternate universe, and the BR is a transformer.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Damn that new music direction really does sounds like a evolotion to go with the "reclaimer" arc and I really do love that sinister feeling at the end of this soundtrack preview, it really made my hair start to stick up at the end (possibly the new enemy?). I welcome this incredible musical score!

clav

From the small samples, hard to conclude whether I'll like them.

We shall see how well this new team incorporates the keyboard in the final game.

GhaleonEB

So far everything but the concept art trailer has a Halo feel for me, the concept art trailer sounds quite Mass Effect-like IMO (but I like it too!).

Agree. From the sample video, the long shot of the Chief with the climax of that track booming along, it just worked perfectly. It sounds like it fits with Halo - but not an imitation of Marty's work. Very smart to sidestep the way 343 has.

The samples video (or rather, the audio) put to bed any lingering worries I had about the soundtrack. Once the drums kick in at the midpoint...good lord.

It's in good hands.

I'd argue that Halo fans are actually quite a diverse bunch who rarely agree on anything - which must make developing any new Halo game a complete and utter nightmare, lol!

For me a Halo game needs.

Large MP maps with lots of vehicles.
Colourful graphics.
A SP with open levels and a good sense of narrative from one to another.
A voice in your ear, for colour, detail but also an emotional crutch that they can take away for dramatic purposes (as with the end of 2 through 3).

daedalius

But yeah, Master Chief is wearing new armor, yet we're supposed to assume he's the same guy stepping out of the cryotube that stepped in four years prior. I like to think that supports my argument. Perhaps I'll just assume this Halo is set in an alternate universe, and the BR is a transformer.

Already been explained.

Dude, what are you going on about? It's a new trilogy with a new developer behind the wheel. Please, tell me what makes a Halo campaign a Halo campaign and tell in what ways, and how many ways, 343 has violated these aspects.

Sean

Banned
It would've been easy for 343 to simply rehash (or "remix") Marty's iconic themes, but I'm glad they're going a different route and putting a fresh spin on things.

Soundtrack sample sounds really good to me.

IJoel

Hope they release the OST the same day of the game release. Hated having to wait for the OST release for previous Halo games.

szaromir

Banned
You'd prefer some other kind of sci-fi technobabble?

Actual scientific/engineering explanations rarely work either. Bioware fell flat when they explained interstellar telecommunication with quantum entanglement, because that's impossible.

That said, if humanity had such omnipotent nanomachines at their disposal, they would win that war against Covenant and laugh in Gravemind's face.

It's in good hands.
I have a deep and abiding love for Massive Attack and Halo so... yeah. This is a good start.

That said, the samples released are good but not iconic. What sticks with me more is the somewhat sad and mysterious sweeping sound in the original Making of Halo 4 video.

I hope the soundtrack is alot more memorable than those two songs.

The songs themself were great, but they sound a bit too anonymous, like they only act as a matte behind the game. The Halo soundtracks have always been very memorable and enjoyable to listen to on their own. On my iPhone I have alot of songs from the game.

Halo has always been an example of how you can have orchestrated epic music, and still have it be memorable on it's own.

However, Massive Attack is awesome, so I have high hopes.

Sean

Banned
I still hope there's going to be some remixes, especially cleverly disguised (like this one).

I'm a huge fan of Marty's score and I'd certainly be okay with a handful of remixes in Halo 4, but I don't want them to be a large part of the games soundtrack. A decade later and a new developer taking over means it's time for some new stuff.

I would've been worried if this first audio sample 343 released had monks chanting and whatnot in order to appease the Halo fanboys. I'm glad to see they have their own vision for the music.

GrizzNKev

Banned
You'd prefer some other kind of sci-fi technobabble?

No. I'd prefer that it wasn't an absolutely ridiculous sounding retcon. When the Master Chief put on the Mjolnir VI in Halo 2, it was a high-powered piece of solid metal and circuitry, not a liquid-metal shell right out of Terminator 3. If the UNSC had that kind of technology, I assure you they would not still be shooting bullets and using living soldiers.

szaromir

Banned
I'm a huge fan of Marty's score and I'd certainly be okay with a handful of remixes in Halo 4, but I don't want them to be a large part of the games soundtrack. A decade later and a new developer taking over means it's time for some new stuff.

I would've been worried if this first audio sample 343 released had monks chanting and whatnot in order to appease the Halo fanboys. I'm glad to see they have their own vision for the music.

Eh, I feel ODST and Reach had a right proportion of new tracks and remixes. Halo 3 on the other hand...

Lingitiz

Man the new tracks sound great. I love Marty's Halo themes but I do feel its time for something new and fresh that will fit a new trilogy. Still, I'm excited to hear their take on the classic Halo theme.

clav

The Halo music that wows people is the simple chord themes that modulate not to far from each other.

Marty usually composes a 50-60 sec theme followed by a rhythmic second theme then mashes them together for a catchy mix. He then chooses to add another instrument to build on the theme or axes the theme completely to another familiar theme (in the later Halo games) highlighted with a piano or guitar.

Examples:

http://youtu.be/BSqm5Id6Hw0

http://youtu.be/5fPFtDdqnJI

http://youtu.be/GLmKxAiKM2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZ5PtRMiz0#t=1m40s

http://youtu.be/GnXwhcOClbk

Then there are other pieces that include strings or horns for harmonizing melodies.

http://youtu.be/tXnO37mdBYU

and others.

--------------

From what I heard so far, it seem that they 343 still wants to go through that route, so I don't expect to be disappointed.

edit: Just listened to the Arrival track. Kinda mixed about it. Needs a choir and/or piano/guitar/horn emphasizing melody. Seems a little meek.

EvB

Oooh the music in that Vidoc was cool, evil robot style music to start with then some orchestral stuff that made my hairs stand on end a bit of Meh later on then ending on something that sounded "halo"

Good stuff.

apart from the meh bit

WOW!

The music from the video and the samples sound amazing! I am truly impressed.

Did anyone else just go "aw hell yes" at 0:51 in the video?

Draconian

The newest H4 samples, in the best way I can describe with written word, are kind of just like..

do do do do
do do do do
DO DO DO DO
DO DO DO DO

I dunno, it feels lifeless.

Yes, because music is most aptly described using written words. I mean, seriously man?

Top Bottom