• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

igTuFkAw5I7CK.gif

iX4A0jgLP5RPT.gif

GODDAMN!

There's no way that's real time, right?

I've really been hoping that a new studio was going to inject some new life into this franchise, and so far I'm feeling quite optimistic about how this is going to turn out.

Dirtbag

One thing is clear to me from the vidoc. The sky box artist isn't finished yet. They did a really good job of not really showing a skybox in there. They just bloomed out the sky.

Yep... that's Autovista to me! ;)
PS: Joking's aside, it really seems that there are 2 quality "modes" in the vidoc: the "standard" gameplay quality, and a premium "cinematic" quality... (aka FM4 Gameplay mode vs. Autovista mode).

yeah. i noticed the same thing. i wonder if we're looking at two different builds, or just enhanced quality of stuff during cinematics (both of which wouldn't be that weird).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Most "Halo" Fans are crazy. They just want Halo 2/3 Re Released in better graphics. I mean FFS grow with the times!

Actually FYI

Halo 2 >>>>> Halo 3 >>>>>> Reach

In terms of multiplayer

Grenades are strategically less useful, tactics have become a mess (which is why competitive halo isn't that interesting anymore) and the gunplay has become less skillful

The maps have become worse in each iteration (stairs and cluttered walls congest the maps and kill strategic options) and the game types have become boring and fairly conventional.

Halo 2 is still one of the greatest multiplayer games and for many very good reasons.

Just saying we aren't growing is a bullshit excuse, we want quality in all facets of our game. I played Quake 3/RA, Counter-Strike and Halo 2 for long periods of time and for good reasons... Because they were all incredible multiplayer games.... Halo has been on the decline mostly because of "enhancements" and the noobifying of the games

Just because we are critical doesn't mean we aren't fans, we just want what is best for the games, not because we won't "grow with the times" but because we want to be able to play it for years to come!

I love halo, I love the single player and I play multiplayer games at a high level.... Played a ridiculous amount of halo 2 and halo 3 games. I just want Halo to be the best it can be... And most importantly, still be Halo.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
Actually FYI

In terms of multiplayer

Grenades are strategically less useful, tactics have become a mess (which is why competitive halo isn't that interesting anymore) and the gunplay has become less skillful

The maps have become worse in each iteration (stairs and cluttered walls congest the maps and kill strategic options) and the game types have become boring and fairly conventional.

Halo 2 is still one of the greatest multiplayer games and for many very good reasons.

Just saying we aren't growing is a bullshit excuse, we want quality in all facets of our game. I played Quake 3/RA, Counter-Strike and Halo 2 for long periods of time and for good reasons... Because they were all incredible multiplayer games.... Halo has been on the decline mostly because of "enhancements" and the noobifying of the games

Just because we are critical doesn't mean we aren't fans, we just want what is best for the games, not because we won't "grow with the times" but because we want to be able to play it for years to come!

I love halo, I love the single player and I play multiplayer games at a high level.... Played a ridiculous amount of halo 2 and halo 3 games. I just want Halo to be the best it can be... And most importantly, still be Halo.
Looks to be honest i really don't care any more, I thought Halo Reach was far better than Halo 3 for MP and SP. If people disagree with me that's fine to.

I just don't want Halo 4 to be Halo 2/3 Re Released in HD graphics, and I know from Frankies interview you can tell he doesn't want that ether he want's Halo 4 to be it's "OWN Game".

Havok

One thing is clear to me from the vidoc. The sky box artist isn't finished yet. They did a really good job of not really showing a skybox in there. They just bloomed out the sky.
Makes sense considering the map in question is a facility that generates an artificial sun.

I'm of the opinion that Halo 3 MP was almost unplayable in a variety of ways. It's not just a bad Halo game as far as the MP, but not a very good game in general.

I mean as someone who went to Halo 2 tournaments my first thoughts while playing Halo 3 MP competitively was just...why....how? How is this so un-fun? How are these maps this bad?

That game was the worst.

Omega

Banned
Most "Halo" Fans are crazy. They just want Halo 2/3 Re Released in better graphics. I mean FFS grow with the times!

Looks amazing btw 343! :D

I hate posts like this.

People complain that there's an overload of shooters, and that those overload of shooters always try to be CoD clones. The one game that didn't, Halo, is now on that path of trying to imitate some aspects of CoD.

Is it so wrong of us to just want our Halo to be Halo instead of Call of Duty: Space? I liked Halo because it separated itself from other shooters. You can pick up any shooter and say "it feels like [insert other shooter here]" but you couldn't really do that with Halo. It was unique.

I'm still hyped for it, but also a bit worried that it won't feel like Halo because the developers share the same mindset as you..

Actually FYI

In terms of multiplayer

This should be in every Halo post about why a lot of people are skeptical about Halo 4 multiplayer. I think it was very telling that they say in the video that all the maps are being built from the ground up, alluding to the fact that a lot of the Reach maps weren't that great and just straight rips from the single player.

Super down on the chance that there won't be a beta. I figured that would be a perfect way for them to show everyone that they knew what they were doing before they could potentially get lost in November.

theb0xmIke

Neo Member
I hate posts like this.

People complain that there's an overload of shooters, and that those overload of shooters always try to be CoD clones. The one game that didn't, Halo, is now on that path of trying to imitate some aspects of CoD.

Is it so wrong of us to just want our Halo to be Halo instead of Call of Duty: Space? I liked Halo because it separated itself from other shooters. You can pick up any shooter and say "it feels like [insert other shooter here]" but you couldn't really do that with Halo. It was unique.

I'm still hyped for it, but also a bit worried that it won't feel like Halo because the developers share the same mindset as you..

So wait you just want Halo re released in better graphics and that's it?......

I don't want Halo to merge into Call of duty in space (hell no). I want Halo to be Halo in it's own flavour. Halo 4 should retain aspects from all previous Halos and add some new features as well to develop it's own image.

I mean why release Halo 4 at all if you just want Halo 3 with different maps and updated graphics?

BeeDog

Looking damn good, even for someone who's not a major fan of the series.

On a related note, how come there's such a massive Microsoft blowout today? Is there a show/expo that I'm completely unaware of?

Oemenia

Banned
What Salvor said and the Halo 3 engine is the Reach engine it was just massively upgraded/retooled to the point it may as well have been a new engine. 343 then took the Reach engine and also did massive upgrading and retooling to the point that Frankie said only a few bits of code remain from it and that it may as well be new.

Frankie said way back Bungie gave them the Reach engine. It's how they made Anniversary and all the maps since they took over the franchise.

Thanks for clearing that up guys, just that I stopped caring about the franchise after how Reach turned out to be so forgettable when Halo 3 ODST were so incredible, I mean come on, they made the latter in less than year with a team of a dozen people!

So far though, I'm pumped for this. = D

Kibbles

Yep... that's Autovista to me! ;)
PS: Joking's aside, it really seems that there are 2 quality "modes" in the vidoc: the "standard" gameplay quality, and a premium "cinematic" quality... (aka FM4 Gameplay mode vs. Autovista mode).

I'd say it's also Campaign vs Multiplayer.

I hate posts like this.

if not wanting every game to play like Call of Duty is somehow resisting change, then... okay. sign me up for resisting change.

XNarte

One little things from the footage shown that felt a bit odd is the animation when chief fires the rifle.

gif69gbqj.gif

It seems like a super strong soldier like Chief wouldn't react to the kickback of the rifle so much. Must be a powerful gun!

Either way, still looks amazing.

derFeef

Finally got to watch the video. This Master Chief's armor looks like made of metal, lot's of tons of metal, they finally did it, yes!

Prologue

Hopefully they fix the jaggies in multiplayer. Its present in Halo 3 and reach to an annoying degree. I always thought Halo 2 looked the nicest.

I've really been hoping that a new studio was going to inject some new life into this franchise, and so far I'm feeling quite optimistic about how this is going to turn out.
you mean by re-hashing and re-iterating previously established aesthetics and ideas?

i am disappointed.

Persona7

Banned
Is anyone else hoping for a huge HALO BOX collection of halo games in a single package after Halo 4 comes out?

I would buy one if it included all DLC and patches on the disks for everything pre-H4.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is anyone else hoping for a huge HALO BOX collection of halo games in a single package after Halo 4 comes out?

I would buy one if it included all DLC and patches on the disks for everything pre-H4.

Gonna need a Halo 2 HD for that, and who doesn't want that?

Top Bottom