• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 Interview With Footage, Probably No Beta [Up: Official Making Of Video]

Chinner

Banned
reach really burnt me out on halo, and kind of proved to me that bungie is a B-tier developer. halo 3 was an overall good package, but didn't really hit the highs of halo 1 or 2.

i'm actually surprised that im a little bit hyped for this.

h4t4x62.gif

73X1T.gif

They really fucked up the proportions of his torso and thighs. It looks like an action figure with disjointed points of articulation.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So, I want to do a title update to prepare for shutting down the other thread eventually (as they're basically about the same thing), but can someone explain this to me?

VG247 said:
Outside of the high concept of what Halo 4 is aiming to achieve, we see some specific multiplayer. Two maps are revealed – Wraparound and Warhouse, both small arena-style levels – and we see fly-throughs and gameplay itself.

Characters are now fully customizable in multiplayer; Spartans will have load-outs. The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example.

When I ask Frank and Kiki about the inevitable comparisons to popular military FPS, they’re well-prepared.

“It’s super-dangerous to chase somebody else’s tail, but it’s also incredibly dangerous to ignore the changing habits of players, so really rather than looking at the specific games and their functionality, you look at changing and emerging trends for players and what players expect,” says Frank.

“That’s a really important one to get. You have to at least meet their baseline expectation for various gameplay features. But if you chase someone else’s tail and do it badly then it’s twice as bad as if you hadn’t. We have to make sure that the things we’re adding are our things, from our vision, and, yes, they’re modern and involved. Halo has such a grand history of, if not revolutionizing the console FPS space, at least pushing it and nudging it forward, and we’re going to to try to continue to do that in our own way.”

Kiki adds: “There are very few things we could do that wouldn’t put us in danger of someone saying, ‘Oh, you’re chasing this or that.’ The reality is that the industry moves in different directions and we have to look at what’s best for Halo and what’s best for the Halo player.

“Also, how do we bring people into the IP? It’s been a long time since Chief was out there, and there are new gamers coming up that have never experienced Halo. Are there going to be similarities with things we do and any number of other games? There always are. But for us it’s about what is uniquely Halo, and how do we make that uniquely Halo thing something that’s differentiated and fun for the player.”
Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/05/halo-4-multiplayer-and-chief-vision-shown-in-ca/

I apologize if this has already been answered in the thread, but I'm currently handling a few things had some issues finding the answer.

Proelite

Nice engine but I can't really say that the conceptual designs for weapons and armor have been all hits. The Spartan IV armor and the battle rifle all looked like they were design by a B-tier art shop or Japanese artists. It might be because of polygon budgets since they sort of look like weapons out of games like Red Faction or Vanquish.

Reach weapons were amazingly detailed and super believable.

LordAlu

Halo_4_Medals.jpg

Hmm, I know the medal on the right is the Assist medal... but I don't recognise the medal on the left. Also the number 5 underneath each one throws me off. 5 what? Assists? Or do you actually score points and each medal gives you a certain number - when the opponent died the score counter goes up by 10 and the two "5" medals add up the same?

Also the three boxes above-right of the weapon/ammo display... grenades maybe? Three switchable grenade types... or you can carry three grenades? Argh so many questions going on in my head! :S

So, I want to do a title update to prepare for shutting down the other thread eventually (as they're basically about the same thing), but can someone explain this to me?

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2012/03/05/halo-4-multiplayer-and-chief-vision-shown-in-ca/

I apologize if this has already been answered in the thread, but I'm currently handling a few things had some issues finding the answer.

I might be wrong, but I don't think they've explained that at all as yet.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer

There aren't any solid details but I think we can guess that there will be a system in which you have pre-made classes and then customizable classes where you can choose whatever weapon and "perks" that you want to start a match with.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Loadouts were already in Reach, they designated what Weapon and Armor Ability you would spawn with. I guess we can expect a more fleshed out loadout system. The way they say it doesn't give too much info. The loadouts in Reach didn't differ except for a few choice gametypes and playlist.

gaming_noob

Looks like they finally reached the Halo 3 E3 trailer or at least something close.

The IQ in the Halo 3 trailer is certainly at a higher level. Model-wise though it was much simpler. Halo 4's model, where you prefer it or not, looks like it has a lot more poly's.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Functional unlocks being tied to persistent level progression instead of just cosmetics is a massive downgrade IMO. I feel that was one of the things Reach did incredibly right like no competitor has: understood that rewarding those with more play time with a functional advantage, instead of just novelties, splits the player base. If anything, I hope they're all easily attainable. The credit system or a Black Ops like system seem like they work well enough.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Characters are now fully customizable in multiplayer; Spartans will have load-outs. The big news for Halo online fans is that 343 has decided to include game-changing unlocks in return for level progression, a similar system to that found in Call of Duty, for example.
That's it. Halo is dead to me. Just like that.

Oemenia

Banned
Does anybody else think that its running on the Halo 3 engine rather than the Reach engine. Im sure Bungie wouldnt have left their most prized asset to MS and is probably the reason why Halo CEA wasnt running on it.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Does anybody else think that its running on the Halo 3 engine rather than the Reach engine. Im sure Bungie wouldnt have left their most prized asset to MS and is probably the reason why Halo CEA wasnt running on it.

I don't think you understand the situation.

Top Bottom