• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 launch trailer (David Fincher, Tim Miller) premiering Oct. 18th

The Halo marketing machine isn't what it used to be.

The Halo 3 Diorama was awesome because it was so minimalist and creative. The live-action trailers we've gotten since are more 'let's cram all the cool action we can into 2m'. ODST's was fairly atmospheric and memorable, at least. Not as ADHD as this, although equally as irrelevant as Reach's 'Deliver Hope'.

And the in-engine trailers -- well, we haven't even gotten any! 343 must be forgetting the trailers that marked Halo out as a series with brilliant marketing. Think Halo 3 reveal or E3 2007... Reach launch, Reach VGA, or H2 reveal.

Needless to say, I really don't care as long as the game is good, but I'm sure I'd enjoy the campaign more if 343 could get me hyped. They're doing a surprisingly poor job... this is the return of MC! Can't be too hard.

It's much better than Marty's work. I may actually not hate it if I can't turn the music off in Halo 4. Marty's cheese won't be missed.

in20bruges20gif5fd4.gif

Izayoi

Banned
I... am not all that impressed. Great, we get to see the origin of the Spartans in live action... for like the fifth time now. Who cares? You've got this awesome new setting and we see it for all of 30 seconds. Maybe the gameplay launch trailers will be better?

abadguy

Banned
I... am not all that impressed. Great, we get to see the origin of the Spartans in live action... for like the fifth time now. Who cares? You've got this awesome new setting and we see it for all of 30 seconds. Maybe the gameplay launch trailers will be better?

Actually it was more the origin of the Chief himself and pretty much events from "Fall of Reach".

Simo

Superior version!

Thanks to Bornsteller, CrazeOne and Wu (for pointing me to the video).

Liked the trailer but wasn't blown away even though I've been thinking about it all day and had a friend who's into the lore watch it and he loved it but this edit...I love! Music did make it much better though the action scene at the end needs work.

What tracks were used from the OST?

Trey

Liked the trailer but wasn't blown away even though I've been thinking about it all day and had a friend who's into the lore watch it and he loved it but this edit...I love! Music did make it much better though the action scene at the end needs work.

What tracks were used from the OST?

Revival.

"Birth of a Spartan" does this so much better....going back to this well is one thing, but going back to it and not surpassing the original really hurts.

For me it's : Deliver Hope > We Are ODST > Birth of a Spartan > Believe > Starry Night > Scanned > Remember Reach (Was just boring to me)

Edit : Although "Believe" was the main one, the entire Halo 3 marketing campaign was just spectacular. I won't rank them, but some of the other videos with the war vets were also really special.

Damn. Yeah, those really iron in how dull this trailer ended up. The concept was fantastic, the production values were great, but it just didn't work IMO.

I thought the trailer was good and definitely 1 of the top 5 imo.

Best:
Stary Night
Deliver Hope
Believe
Scanned
War vets
We are ODST

Boring/Lame:
Birth of a Spartan
Remember Reach

jett

D-Member
Yeah sooo outside of the somewhat cheesy shot of the kid on the beach that gave me goosebumps. Halo Lore = Best Lore ever

ODST is great but nothing touches REACH: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMMDlxYX6WQ

I like ODST's ad much better tbh. Tells a story succintly and effectively, no cheese. It's just a fantastic trailer. And I'm really over the use of slow, moving, "emotional" music in the middle of action sequence in a game trailer. :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Marty is bad-ass but do not write off Neil Davidge because you cannot let go of the past. Halo 4s OST is damn good.

8764531123.gif

wait, thats a power ranger gif right? and wayne brady!? he was.... a power ranger???

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
He wasn't the black ranger. :p It's some other guy.

one last question, is that the black ranger or wayne brady?

edit: vvv "fairly certain", lol. looks just like him!
not racist

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I liked the museum trailer a LOT more for Halo 3, but this is a good trailer all the same.

i-Lo

... and for the first time, I find myself disapproving this trailer despite the brilliant visual work.

Master chief's legacy was built on his anonymity. People can relate to a person behind a full faced mask because they can fully immerse themselves in the character whose face is the same their own. It becomes all the more important in game like Halo where Bungie deliberately held off from releasing too much detail so as to be inclusive of all males regardless of ethnic background. I don't know if in various books pertaining to Halo franchise ever divulged whether MC was a white male but I don't think it was ever revealed in VG.

I have no qualms about him being a white male. But the revelation wasn't so from the beginning. The opportunity to exercise belief of universal inclusion for 50% of human species is now lost. Of course, if his ethnicity has had been revealed for a while now (before 343 took over that is) then I am sorry for my obsolete knowledge.

TheOddOne

IGN rewind.

... and for the first time, I find myself disapproving this trailer despite the brilliant visual work.

Master chief's legacy was built on his anonymity. People can relate to a person behind a full faced mask because they can fully immerse themselves in the character whose face is the same their own. It becomes all the more important in game like Halo where Bungie deliberately held off from releasing too much detail so as to be inclusive of all males regardless of ethnic background. I don't know if in various books pertaining to Halo franchise ever divulged whether MC was a white male but I don't think it was ever revealed in VG.

I have no qualms about him being a white male. But the revelation wasn't so from the beginning. The opportunity to exercise belief of universal inclusion for 50% of human species is now lost. Of course, if his ethnicity has had been revealed for a while now (before 343 took over that is) then I am sorry for my obsolete knowledge.
It was known for a long time that he was white.

What MS is waiting for a movie?! Come on!

A director that can handle that sense of scope. It's quite a monumental task. You can't just hand it to any old director. Even Blompkamp couldn't do justice to HALO and he's a fantastic director. You need a real AAA director for that shit.

Gui_PT

A director that can handle that sense of scope. It's quite a monumental task. You can't just hand it to any old director. Even Blompkamp couldn't do justice to HALO and he's a fantastic director. You need a real AAA director for that shit.

We need Nolan on this STAT

Out of curiosity, who do you think could handle it? Assuming they go a good direction with a script and story.

Top Bottom