• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 launch trailer (David Fincher, Tim Miller) premiering Oct. 18th

Kinyou

What is difficult to comprehend here? The games have been faithful to the books. All other fiction (graphics novels, anime shorts, CGI/Live Action Trailers) have also been faithful to the fiction. In case of minor discrepancies, the games take precedent over the books, but aside from those discrepancies, everything else still stays canon.

What's weird is how anal people get about the most minor of shit that's changed in Halo Reach. And they even released an updated version of the damn book to satiate fans but they'll still complain.
No, the thing that is confusing me is how anal sometimes Bungie/343 is about the established stuff from the books, and then sometimes completely forgets about it.

Hell, in the books there are multiple Spartans making it back to earth yet Halo 2 or 3 never even acknowledges them. And now you have people again speculating about stuff they know from the books while basically everything that wasn't in the games is just "sort of" canon. It might have happened, it might have not.

one last question, is that the black ranger or wayne brady?

edit: vvv "fairly certain", lol. looks just like him!
not racist

Zack Taylor - The Black Ranger in Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
VIEWINGGLOBE-mmpr1-3-438.jpg

Wayne Brady - ...about to choke a bitch
3.jpg

They don't look anything alike racist!

I thought they looked alike till a side by side

Pistolero

Average imho. I expected much more from Fincher to be honest...
But I am not a Halo connaisseur, so there's that. The only aspects I focused on were images and sound, both of which left me unimpressed. But who cares, really : the game is going to sell like hotcakes!

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Zack Taylor - The Black Ranger in Mighty Morphing Power Rangers
VIEWINGGLOBE-mmpr1-3-438.jpg

Wayne Brady - ...about to choke a bitch
3.jpg

They don't look anything alike racist!

I thought they looked alike till a side by side

they still look insanely alike to me, just separated by about 10 years (which, isnt all that far off from power rangers to chapelle show...)

Out of curiosity, who do you think could handle it? Assuming they go a good direction with a script and story.

Well obviously Cameron is the perfect choice since HALO is pretty much Aliens + Terminator on an epic sci-fi scale (Avatar) with a bunch of great mythology (Ender's Game, Ringworld) thrown into the mix. But there's no way in hell he'd do it.

My personal choice out of available directors would be Danny Boyle. He's proven he can do big, intelligent sci-fi and knows how to capture horror very well. Plus he has a great working relationship with Alex Garland. Of course, Boyle would never take the film on either.

Peter Jackson would actually be a decent pick. Jackson can go very dark when he needs to and has no problem with scale or warfare. That combined with having WETA workshop already having skimmed the surface of that world and I think he could craft something very special. He's also a man who likes to get that sense of history past on screen - this idea of a world/contruct having been lived-in and once-inhabited which would work well when it came to exploring the rings themselves.

Before you "boo" his statement, you must realize the general public is going to have the same reaction if they aren't familiar with the story.

This trailer was fan service, and that can be a bad thing.

I disagree.

General public will either not care at all or will be "oooh that looks cool". And every Halo trailer is/was fan service.

destrudo

... and for the first time, I find myself disapproving this trailer despite the brilliant visual work.

Master chief's legacy was built on his anonymity. People can relate to a person behind a full faced mask because they can fully immerse themselves in the character whose face is the same their own. It becomes all the more important in game like Halo where Bungie deliberately held off from releasing too much detail so as to be inclusive of all males regardless of ethnic background. I don't know if in various books pertaining to Halo franchise ever divulged whether MC was a white male but I don't think it was ever revealed in VG.

I have no qualms about him being a white male. But the revelation wasn't so from the beginning. The opportunity to exercise belief of universal inclusion for 50% of human species is now lost. Of course, if his ethnicity has had been revealed for a while now (before 343 took over that is) then I am sorry for my obsolete knowledge.

Are you saying it's harder to relate to a character if you know more about them? I find that's actually the opposite for me. The more I know about a character the easier it is for me to get emotionally invested in what's happening.

If you're talking about MC as a kind of avatar for the player to embody, I never really understood that either. That only works for me in games where you create your own character or ones in which the main character doesn't say anything (like Half-life). In Halo, MC has his own voice and his own personality (debatable, lol) and it seems like 343 is fleshing him out quite a bit more in Halo 4.

At this point I would rather they just build the character up a bit more rather than having him as some kind of half-character half-avatar.

About the topic though, really didn't get anything out of that trailer. It had very nice production value, but that was about it for me.

Dany

Banned
I'm ambivalent towards the Halo series but I see a lot of SP stuff form H4 that looks very intriguing, it might be my first Halo game.

My question regarding this trailer is that they placed a face on Master Chief, I dunno why but I found it weird that they did that...

op_ivy

I'm ambivalent towards the Halo series but I see a lot of SP stuff form H4 that looks very intriguing, it might be my first Halo game.

My question regarding this trailer is that they placed a face on Master Chief, I dunno why but I found it weird that they did that...

the kid?

destrudo

Well obviously Cameron is the perfect choice since HALO is pretty much Aliens + Terminator on an epic sci-fi scale (Avatar) with a bunch of great mythology (Ender's Game, Ringworld) thrown into the mix. But there's no way in hell he'd do it.

My personal choice out of available directors would be Danny Boyle. He's proven he can do big, intelligent sci-fi and knows how to capture horror very well. Plus he has a great working relationship with Alex Garland. Of course, Boyle would never take the film on either.

Peter Jackson would actually be a decent pick. Jackson can go very dark when he needs to and has no problem with scale or warfare. That combined with having WETA workshop already having skimmed the surface of that world and I think he could craft something very special. He's also a man who likes to get that sense of history past on screen - this idea of a world/contruct having been lived-in and once-inhabited which would work well when it came to exploring the rings themselves.

Cameron would be a good choice. I think he would absolutely nail the look of the universe. Especially considering that a lot of the designs in Halo were inspired by Aliens. Also, bonus song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67MRiMT9cnE

Best case scenario for me though would be bringing back Neill Blomkamp to direct. But I can't see him or Jackson going back to Halo after what happened last time.

No typical big name director is going to do Halo. Most of these guys are neck-deep in other projects and their own universes. Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp will never do a Halo movie because of past issues. At the end of the day, you have to realize that these are real people, and you can fantasize if you want, but it won't become reality.

And honestly, people keep bringing up Neil, but his visions was far too gritty and realistic for Halo. Halo has such a clean and bright aesthetic. I can enjoy his landfall Halo short for Halo 3, but I wouldn't want a movie like that.

One of the only people I can think of that could do a great Halo movie is Brad Bird. He's only recently done his first live action movie (Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol), and hasn't peaked to the point where he's become "too big". The directors that become too big typically only want to do their own pet projects and create their own universes.

I wish the public was more open to CGI-only action movies, because an entire Halo movie in the vein of the Halo Starry Night CGI ad would be a dream come true. Brad Bird is a proven himself to be a master of both forms of film-making.

op_ivy

sam rami. i would love to see plasma blast cam as it tracks UNSC soilders across the battlefield.

seriously though.

Yeah, Cameron would be the obvious pick, but I don't ever see him taking a project like this over projects of his own. Especially when it seems he has a huge expanse of Avatar to do. On top of that, I imagine he would like the universe, but he would only ever do it if it were something he could make his own. But yeah, style and talent wise he would be perfect.

It is too bad the first attempt at the movie fell through, and then apparently it fell through again with Guillermo del Toro. Peter Jackson or the others would also be a great fit, but once again I never see it happening. I think, at best, we could see a bigger director/producer get interested in the project from afar and bring in a young skilled director like they tried with Blomkamp. I'm all for fresh faces as long as they have the right skillset and approach the project with respect.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
What's the problem?
Probably because it's a bit too Lovecraftian for Halo (?)

Could
the Didact
really be considered evil or is it just misunderstood? Assuming of course, it is the ancient evil they are referring to.

Well Blomkamp pretty much came out of nowhere with Landfall and District 9, so I think speculating about which director will do Halo is completely useless.

It won't be any of the obvious big-names, because as has been said, they have their own things to think about.

Whoever is selected if they even make the movie will probably be all but unknown. What we should be thinking about is who would produce it?

abadguy

Banned
Yeah, Cameron would be the obvious pick, but I don't ever see him taking a project like this over projects of his own. Especially when it seems he has a huge expanse of Avatar to do. On top of that, I imagine he would like the universe, but he would only ever do it if it were something he could make his own. But yeah, style and talent wise he would be perfect.

It is too bad the first attempt at the movie fell through, and then apparently it fell through again with Guillermo del Toro. Peter Jackson or the others would also be a great fit, but once again I never see it happening. I think, at best, we could see a bigger director/producer get interested in the project from afar and bring in a young skilled director like they tried with Blomkamp. I'm all for fresh faces as long as they have the right skillset and approach the project with respect.

Still think Verhoven would be a good fit as director for a Halo film. As for Cameron, it would be pretty cool to have the director of Aliens take on the franchise that drew alot of inspiration from it, i'd rather he hurry up and get the Avatar sequel out of his system. Maybe then he can FINALLY start work on that "Battle Angel" adaption he's been promising to do for nearly a decade.

If ever there is a Halo film made whomever the director is, i hope MS/343i are as involved with it's production as they are with the rest of the expanded universe. Hollywood executive meddling can fuck things up.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18-_9E0HNY4

Nothing beats this for me though. I had 0 interest in Reach, and I saw this advert, and BOOM auto sold.

This was pretty amazing. Only thing that ever bugged me is that he runs out of the room at the end, knowing full well he can't escape. They should have cut it with him just staring at the bomb he threw as it goes off.

ODST, The Entire Believe Campaign, and all other live action has been stellar. The only one I was not a huge fan of was making of a spartan or whatever it was with Carter.

Like I said, this one is great, but it is a noticeable departure in tone from the rest. Which, if I am right, the game will accomplish as well.

This was pretty amazing. Only thing that ever bugged me is that he runs out of the room at the end, knowing full well he can't escape. They should have cut it with him just staring at the bomb he threw as it goes off.

ODST, The Entire Believe Campaign, and all other live action has been stellar. The only one I was not a huge fan of was making of a spartan or whatever it was with Carter.

Like I said, this one is great, but it is a noticeable departure in tone from the rest. Which, if I am right, the game will accomplish as well.

It should have destroyed the ship no matter where it was placed, so they could of just thrown it into the grav lift. Him standing there and watching for a while before trying to escape is a little silly as well.

Majanew

Banned

Wasn't he supposed to die, though? Isn't that who you replace in the game?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Wasn't he supposed to die, though? Isn't that who you replace in the game?

He was supposed to die. He only had a couple seconds left when he tossed the bomb, he knew he was goin to die. Why not have him just stand there and accept it rather than turn, run and try to jog out of the blast, which he had to know was a pointless exersise.

And yeah he's the old Noble 6. You play the new 6 in reach.

Majanew

Banned
He was supposed to die. He only had a couple seconds left when he tossed the bomb, he knew he was goin to die. Why not have him just stand there and accept it rather than turn, run and try to jog out of the blast, which he had to know was a pointless exersise.

Ah, ok, I understand what you meant now.

Kinyou

Not really a fan of the Birth of Spartan one as well, but the music saves it.

Agree 100%.

It seems counter intuitive to be standing there with an armed bomb, let the dial dwindle to near explosion, finally toss it, and then decide to book it.

Rtas

Agree 100%.

It seems counter intuitive to be standing there with an armed bomb, let the dial dwindle to near explosion, finally toss it, and then decide to book it.

The whole standing there with the bomb, is basically him making sure there is no possible way for the covenant to stop it, I presume the running is just so he could at least try.

Gui_PT

The whole standing there with the bomb, is basically him making sure there is no possible way for the covenant to stop it, I presume the running is just so he could at least try.

Exactly. Just making sure there's nothing the Covenant can do about the bomb and then try to run for it.

How do people no think this is the case?

Top Bottom