• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

KageMaru

Especially when it makes no sense, at all.

Trust me, with the way this poster was posting in this thread and with his history, it made sense. Not saying it was right for me to do it, but I don't think I was wrong with my perception of him in the end.

geoffking5ikci.png

bwahahahahaha is that avatar thread still around? I want this to be my new avatar.

The Bancast Presents: The Halo Campaignathon
Halo 2 Vista
2 minutes into the first video for Halo 2 and one of the guys is already insufferably ignorant. "If they hate him so much, why not just kill him", reffering to the Prophets treatment of the Arbiter.

Ugh

And 5 minutes in the guy admitted to playing Halo 2 for the first time in French when it got leaked. Yeah...fuck these guys.

it seems consistent for Jeff to mark down a later entry in a series for not being fresh enough, so i'm not surprised by his score at all. even then though, it's a good score. if Halo 4 still manages a 4/5 for people wanting something different, that's pretty damn good.

That's why I didn't knock the review or Jeff. The score and review make perfect sense if you know the back story to Jeff and Giantbomb's feelings of Halo.

Hey Microsoft, take note, I'm in the mood to play Halo CE Anniversary and Halo ODST. If they were on your Games on Demand store, I'd own them now and you'd have my money. It's your store. They're your games. Put them on the god damned store. Dummies.

2 minutes into the first video for Halo 2 and one of the guys is already insufferably ignorant. "If they hate him so much, why not just kill him", reffering to the Prophets treatment of the Arbiter.

Ugh

Halo 3 was my first Halo game. I find all the stories confusing as hell. I didn't even fully understand Halo 1 when I played the anniversary edition on the 360.

Still, the games are fun so all is forgiven. I really don't care about Halo lore.

KageMaru

Watch out, people might not take your opinions of doritos or mountain dew seriously.

heh, see I figure it would be win win. The picture is mocking Halo's affiliation with those products, so that should win over sony-gaf, but at the same time halo-gaf seems to not mind it I should be cool either way. =p

yes I'm joking and can care less what anyone thinks, I just find that picture hilarious

I was gonna play tonight and early tomorrow this weekend is gonna be busy for me :(

Sorry, I work tonight and tomorrow morning. =(

Halo 3 was my first Halo game. I find all the stories confusing as hell. I didn't even fully understand Halo 1 when I played CE on the 360.

Still, the games are fun so all is forgiven. I really don't care about Halo lore.

If you found halo confusing, never try to play the Metal Gear Solid or Assassin's Creed series :p

Halo 3 was my first Halo game. I find all the stories confusing as hell. I didn't even fully understand Halo 1 when I played CE.

There's a difference between not playing the games and being confused and make inane idiotic statements about the story. Like, they're taking issue with the fact that the covenant were more thoroughly explored in Halo 2 and the fiction was expanded.

Mr.Fresh

heh, see I figure it would be win win. The picture is mocking Halo's affiliation with those products, so that should win over son-gaf, but at the same time halo-gaf seems to not mind it I should be cool either way. =p

yes I'm joking and can care less what anyone thinks, I just find that picture hilarious

Sorry, I work tonight and tomorrow morning. =(

Awww Mann guess ill just run threw them alone real quick.

If you found halo confusing, never try to play the Metal Gear Solid or Assassin's Creed series :p

I played Assassin's Creed 2, which was fun and I could follow it, but it got a little David Lynch like at the end.

MGS... yeah screw that.

Halo 3 was crazy and I didn't even try to understand anything. I knew I was missing way too much context. You land in a jungle and you start killing things, etc. Yeah.

- edit

There's a difference between not playing the games and being confused and make inane idiotic statements about the story. Like, they're taking issue with the fact that the covenant were more thoroughly explored in Halo 2 and the fiction was expanded.

I think you're taking those comments too seriously. I mean, who cares?

Too many reviews to read them all, do we have a rough idea of the campaign length?
Depends on your skill in Halo, which difficulty you play on, and how well you understand the sandbox. Should take you roughly 8-10 on Heroic based on those factors. Took me exactly 9.

harrytang

6-9 hours on normal. Add a few hours for Heroic and Legendary.

i dont buy that 6 hour crap. i know i wont play like a journalist rushing so they can get the review out on time. The game can take longer if you try actually try to enjoy it, take it all in and appreciate the hard work that went into creating each level.

i'll only be playing heroic or higher and expect the game to last about 10-12 hours, or longer. perfect. then all mp until GTA V.

There isn't even an argument to be had.

All I said is that Halo fans should be happy and that all the reviews are pointing to the series being in great hands. And this bozo comes out with an avatar quote? Seriously, playstation fans should stay the fuck out if they're going to get this salty about another franchise doing well.

Your point is valid. But the irony of judging someone's opinion exclusively by console preference, when you took such umbrage to an avatar quote, is rather delicious.

Your point is valid. But the irony of judging someone's opinion exclusively by console preference, when you took such umbrage to an avatar quote, is rather delicious.
Difference between judging someone innately on their avatar and going through a person post history and seeing that at least the past few hundred posts have been exclusively in Playstation threads.

Tookay

Wow, that IGN review is embarrassing. The gushing review reads like a 10, only they knocked off a couple of decimals to act like there was some objectivity.

Any review with Gerstmann at the helm needs to be taken with a shaker of salt. The guy just spent 300+ dollars on Skylanders junk. His opinion to me = worthless.

[edit - I just realized that this is my second anti-Gerstmann post of the day. LOL, I'm sure he's a nice guy!]

Satchel

Banned
I find it funny that the "lower" scores seem to only dock points over story.

I rarely see games knocked down over their story.

Most of these reviews actually read like 9-10 reviews and then you suddenly see an 8-8.5 because of the story? So the game itself is great, the visuals stunning, audio amazing, mutliplayer awesome.....but you know, we didn't like that story THAT MUCH.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Wow, that IGN review is embarrassing. The gushing review reads like a 10, only they knocked off a couple of decimals to act like there was some objectivity.

It's embarrassing when someone really loves a game?

Memorable in its shittyness. The concept is good but the execution... just another firefight mission. For fucks sake, leave it out if you can't do it properly...

Actually I like the point of view from a Halo homer. The guy is a known Halo nut and holds Halo 2 in high regard. When they previewed the maps he could speak on all the old classic maps as well. If he is going apeshit then I have hope.

Tookay

It's embarrassing when someone really loves a game?

Complaining about a 9.8

lol

How dare someone like a game too much.

Yes, because you lose your objectivity once a score hits a certain point.

The hyperbole in the review is borderline sycophantic, boiler-plate PR bulletpoints. It's not quite GTA IV review level, but there's a lack of restraint that makes the reviewer look like a fanboy forum dweller. Is it so outrageous to observe that some moderation would serve him well and make me take his review a bit more seriously?

No no no, it's only embarrassing when they love a game you had hoped would score lower. Then it's embarrassing. You need to acquaint yourself with the rules.

That's complete nonsense that you've imputed on my motives. I'm both hyped for and want Halo 4 to be good. That review did nothing to convince me of that fact, because I can't trust the reviewer's sensibilities.

Zeliard

The hyperbole in the review is borderline sycophantic, boiler-plate PR bulletpoints. It's not quite GTA IV review level, but there's a lack of restraint that makes the reviewer look like a fanboy forum dweller. Is it so outrageous to observe that some moderation would serve him well and make me take his review a bit more seriously?

I thought you were complaining that it got a 9.8 instead of a 10 ;)

Yeah overly gushing reviews are hilarious, but it should be no surprise when these types of uber-hyped AAA titles get them.

KageMaru

How dare someone like a game too much.

Well in a way I agree with Tookay. Don't get me wrong, there's a chance that Halo 4 can be as good as the reviewer describes, but the way he presents the review makes his opinion questionable in some respects IMO.

Also damn you for taking this pic as your avatar first, looks like I'll go back to my old one =p

Tookay

I thought you were complaining that it got a 9.8 instead of a 10 ;)

Yeah overly gushing reviews are hilarious, but it should be no surprise when these types of uber-hyped AAA titles get them.

I apologize if I wasn't clear before.

I'm making two arguments here:
1. I get the sense from the way the review is written that the 9.8 is effectively a 10, just done in a cynical way to insulate the site from criticism/concerns of bias, considering how in the past sites have been skewered for bestowing 10s on (later to be revealed) undeserving games.

2. The review is horribly written regardless and clearly suffers from hype-infused elation that will look silly in weeks/months/years, because the reviewer couldn't stand back for a moment and look at this rationally. Whether or not his review is a reflection on the game's quality, it makes his opinion more discreditable.

Additional thought:
1. This game looks great and I have no doubt it lives up to the legacy of its predecessors. But it'd be nice if the people reviewing were a cut above Gamefaqs posters.

Top Bottom