• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

SuperBonk

6-7 hours on Normal sounds about right. Took me about 7 hours on Heroic co-op.

But that's not including Spartan Ops, which I liked more than the campaign. And I liked the campaign a lot.

Conor 419

Banned
That's strange. Halo 4's story was probably the only one I could follow pretty damn well and probably the one I cared about most while playing. Certainly cared about all of the characters more.

How good would you say it is? Also how's your previous experience with the IP, were you already huge on the lore?

SuperBonk

The story is definitely better presented in Halo 4 than in any of the other Halos. However, they kind of lightly touch on important things as if you're supposed to know it already. I would definitely recommend brushing up on the lore if you want to get the most out of the story.

Reviews seem to be overwhelmingly positive, but I am worried that a lot of them mention that it may be a little too familiar. Seems the Prometheans could have used a little more variety and something tells me I will end up agreeing with it. The sandbox looks a little all too familiar in Halo 4, but on the flip side it looks really really good. I can't wait to try it out and see for myself, thats for sure.. The game finally looks like its taking some risks.

LTTP, but I just noticed this in the Eurogamer review:

!?

It doesn't have iron sights.. and what does he mean about customisable dog tags?

How the fuck does that slip into the review? The rest of the review seems pretty fair, but thats a bit of a big fuck up. A alternate control scheme where you can aim with LT does not equal ADS, and there are not any dogtags...so...

nillapuddin

Escapist confuses me,

"but all the little things, like plasma grenades and weapons fire being much smaller, makes the game feel not quite right."

"Mainstays like the Slayer game type and the Blood Gulch map - resurrected as a new map - will keep old fans smiling"

"New to the series are ordinance drops."

"This pushes the gameplay towards learning the weapons so you know exactly how many shots are needed or comboing with grenades and melee to quickly take someone down."

Halo 4 - 4/5 said:
Bottom Line: It's going to feel a little off with a new studio taking over the franchise, and Bungie left a big mark on gaming with Halo. While 343i shouldn't just try to make a Bungie game, the single player isn't up to the series' standard. Halo 4 does balance that with a robust amount of content across the various gameplay modes.

Recommendation: The continuation of Master Chief's story feels a little thin, but War Games, Spartan Ops and all the other multiplayer offerings Halo 4 will keep you playing for months to come.

Im not complaining it "only got a 4"
I just found his review to be written from a strange perspective

same writer gave bf3 4/5, mw3 4.5/5

At the end of the day, people need to be realistic, which clearly is very difficult on a forum. You cant take every review literally or word for word as confirmation of anything. Every reviewer is different then you and me. They like different franchises, different types of games etc.. What i try to do i look at the bad ones and the good ones, and find a nice middle ground. I keep in mind what makes sense to me as a shooter and Halo fan, and throw out what doesn't, usually coming from the haters. If someone who never was really fond of halo game-play gives the game an 8 with the same criticisms as the guy who gave it a 9.5, it doesn't surprise me.

You people take reviews way too seriously. Halo3 might have possibly had a higher overall metacritic score as of now, but i would be absolutely shocked if Halo4 doesnt end up the better overall game in every department.

They've exceeded most reviews expectations and that is no small feat considering how fucking whiny the Halo community really is. They seem to understand what the Halo community expect for the most part and listen very carefully to all them. I for one am so extremely happy that these guys will be working on Halo for a long time to come.

And all this coming from a studio of over what, 200 people, who've (for the most part) have never worked together and take on as their very first game as a company one of the biggest franchises on the planet. I think its safe to say that this is "mission accomplished" for 343i.

Congrats to you 343i. Cant fukin wait.

JonCha

Read Edge, Eurogamer and Giant Bomb's review; I liked Edge's the most. Seemed fair and balanced. Jeff's seemed very stoccato-esque and as if he is bored.

Though I would like to see a review where the multiplayer is discussed from a competitive standpoint.

Syriel

Read Edge, Eurogamer and Giant Bomb's review; I liked Edge's the most. Seemed fair and balanced. Jeff's seemed very stocato-esque and as if he is bored.

Though I would like to see a review where the multiplayer is discussed from a competitive standpoint.

I don't think anyone can really delve into that for another few weeks.

The limited amount of people who can play doesn't really allow for a deep dive into competitive mechanics.

Read Edge, Eurogamer and Giant Bomb's review; I liked Edge's the most. Seemed fair and balanced. Jeff's seemed very stoccato-esque and as if he is bored.

Jeff was never a huge Halo fan so all his Halo reviews come out that way.

JonCha

I don't think anyone can really delve into that for another few weeks.

The limited amount of people who can play doesn't really allow for a deep dive into competitive mechanics.

Right, but I don't want to be trawling through HaloGAF to get the same people with the same opinions posting on the same forum. Professional reviewers don't comment on the actual mechanics of multiplayer aside of general discussion. I don't see reviewers discussing why Promethean Vision may be unbalanced or how the hitscan BR compares to previous games'. I dunno. I'm just sick of coming to forums for this kind of stuff.

Jeff was never a huge Halo fan so all his Halo reviews come out that way.

I don't know Jeff or his professional history so it's difficult for me to say. Though if that's the case and assuming Brad can't write the review because he did the preview, why not Drew? Did no-one at Giant Bomb want to take Halo 4 (sans Brad, of course)?

Right, but I don't want to be trawling through HaloGAF to get the same people with the same opinions posting on the same forum. Professional reviewers don't comment on the actual mechanics of multiplayer aside of general discussion. I don't see reviewers discussing why Promethean Vision may be unbalanced or how the hitscan BR Compares to previous games'. I dunno. I'm just sick of coming to forums for this kind of stuff.

I don't know Jeff or his professional history so it's difficult for me to say. Though if that's the case and assuming Brad can't write the review because he did the preview, why not Drew? Did no-one at Giant Bomb want to take Halo 4 (sans Brad, of course)?

He doesn't hate it, but from what Ive read from him and Halo in the passed, he seems pretty indifferent to it. Not to say he doesn't know quality games, but i wouldn't necessarily run to his review first to get impressions. Although its nice to get everyone impressions, i don't think ill end up agreeing with it.

Syriel

Right, but I don't want to be trawling through HaloGAF to get the same people with the same opinions posting on the same forum. Professional reviewers don't comment on the actual mechanics of multiplayer aside of general discussion. I don't see reviewers discussing why Promethean Vision may be unbalanced or how the hitscan BR Compares to previous games'. I dunno. I'm just sick of coming to forums for this kind of stuff.

That's sort of a chicken and the egg thing.

Without a critical mass of players, no one can really say of X item is OP or not. After a month of gameplay, you can, but not on day one. Anyone claiming to do so is really just guessing, IMHO.

Vire

Jeff simply just doesn't have good taste in FPS games in my honest opinion.

Halo ODST - 4 Stars
Halo Reach - 4 Stars
Halo 4 - 4 Stars
COD Black Ops - 4 Stars
Battlefield 3 - 4 Stars

Syndicate - 5 Stars

Not saying those are all five star games, but wat? I still like Giant Bomb and crew, but I don't exactly go there for their takes on FPS games...

Halo ODST - 4 Stars
Halo Reach - 4 Stars
Halo 4 - 4 Stars
COD Black Ops - 4 Stars
Battlefield 3 - 4 Stars

Syndicate - 5 Stars

Not saying those are all five star games, but wat? I still like Giant Bomb and crew, but I don't exactly go there for their takes on FPS games...

Honestly, i think his review is fair for the most part but it seems a bit off at times. He wanted Halo to change even more than it already has mp wise, but man he has to be realistic. This is a new studios first attempt at a game and its halo4. They aren't gonna change everything right off the bat. The new enemies do play differently (from what ive read) from the old school ones and yet its more of the same? I don't get that. Are they different from elites or not? Hes saying they are but at the same time its more of the same. I dunno.

EvB

In other words, Halo CE was a fluke.

I wouldn't say it was a fluke, but it was so fresh and new that you'd have to raise the bar twice as high to get wowed in the same way.

I remember playin COD2 on the 360 and thinking, WOW this is really cool. The newer games are barely any different, but I don't have that fresh and shiny WOW factor.

Halo ODST - 4 Stars
Halo Reach - 4 Stars
Halo 4 - 4 Stars
COD Black Ops - 4 Stars
Battlefield 3 - 4 Stars
so you disagree with jeff's claims that the halo games are great? or do you absolutely need a 5 star for validation's sake

I wouldn't say it was a fluke, but it was so fresh and new that you'd have to raise the bar twice as high to get wowed in the same way.
considering how the series has progressed since then and the discussions made for design decisions in the first, yes, i'd say it absolutely was a fluke.

Vire

so you disagree with jeff's claims that the halo games are great? or do you absolutely need a 5 star for validation's sake

considering how the series has progressed since then and the discussions made for design decisions in the first, yes, i'd say it absolutely was a fluke.

Yes I disagree that Halo games are great. They are above great.

Not sure what your point is.

For me personally Halo is the top tier FPS franchise, so yeah I don't exactly understand how Syndicate gets 5 stars. I played that game, it's pretty crappy. Fortunately for a reduced price on online!

Halo ODST - 4 Stars
Halo Reach - 4 Stars
Halo 4 - 4 Stars
COD Black Ops - 4 Stars
Battlefield 3 - 4 Stars

Syndicate - 5 Stars

Jeff is awesome and while he tends to bring up a ton of good points that are valid, but I agree. Like I said though, I really don't use GB for reviews, they shine best when in groups talking about games like their quicklooks and podcasts. Im betting I will agree with some of his complaints, but I will enjoy it more than him. I can't say his above reviews aren't fair though, but the Syndicate thing sorta invalidates them IMO.

theytookourjobz

Halo ODST - 4 Stars
Halo Reach - 4 Stars
Halo 4 - 4 Stars
COD Black Ops - 4 Stars
Battlefield 3 - 4 Stars

Syndicate - 5 Stars

Too hard to take stars too seriously when the next step down from 5 is 4. Read the review or better yet listen to the podcast/quick look to get their feelings on a game.

szaromir

Banned
You people take reviews way too seriously. Halo3 might have possibly had a higher overall metacritic score as of now, but i would be absolutely shocked if Halo4 doesnt end up the better overall game in every department.

Halo 3 is the best entry in the series and it would be surprising if H4 was better (not that I would not like that).

Vire

So is the GT review called off or something?

Nah, seems like they have been taking their sweet time as of late. The Need For Speed/Forza reviews were also late.

I'm a bit wary to trust GT though after they gave RE6 such a good score.

Majine

Banned
I can basically predict it for you. 12 minutes of total time, 6 of them complaining on what they could have done instead of so and so, then a 9.5.

Then they get attacked by Halo fanboys and reply: "Nothing innovative, this is the highest score a game like this is ever gonna get", then CoD:Blops 2 gets 9.8.

There you have it. The definitive GT experience.

Halo 3 is the best entry in the series and it would be surprising if H4 was better (not that I would not like that).

Well to me Halo CE is still the best in the series campaign wise. MP maybe Halo3 was the best but even now when i went back to it, it felt way too slow. SP wise i thought it was above average at best. Reaches SP was much better than 3 for me. And even that one doesnt come close to CE imo.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
So is the GT review called off or something?

Microsoft doesn't allow (us at least) videos of the single player campaign, except their own b-roll, until November 6, so maybe it's the holdup. I didn't watch any video reviews, so I don't know if some sites did have some special authorizations or not.

GT back in the Halo 3 days was a sight to behold. Fanboy wars were at their peak back then. Couldn't go into the General Gaming without someone flaming or praising Halo 3. That was the worst part.

The best part about GT back then were the Factions. The Master Chief Faction in particular was where it was at. So many good memories...

/GT nostalgia

Satchel

Banned

I remember playin COD2 on the 360 and thinking, WOW this is really cool. The newer games are barely any different, but I don't have that fresh and shiny WOW factor.

I think overall it was.

But that's what Chinner's comment alluded to anyway.

But in all honesty, I only started thinking the same thing after Reach.

GT back in the Halo 3 days was a sight to behold. Fanboy wars were at their peak back then. Couldn't go into the General Gaming without someone flaming or praising Halo 3. That was the worst part.

The best part about GT back then were the Factions. The Master Chief Faction in particular was where it was at. So many good memories...

/GT nostalgia

KILLZONE VS. HALO PART XVIXIII

Majine

Banned

/GT nostalgia

I think me getting banned from the GT Forums was the best things the internet have done for me.

Conor 419

Banned
Microsoft doesn't allow (us at least) videos of the single player campaign, except their own b-roll, until November 6, so maybe it's the holdup. I didn't watch any video reviews, so I don't know if some sites did have some special authorizations or not.

Makes sense, all of the footage I saw today was repeated. I imagine there's some big ass twist mid campaign.

Yes I disagree that Halo games are great. They are above great.

Not sure what your point is.

For me personally Halo is the top tier FPS franchise, so yeah I don't exactly understand how Syndicate gets 5 stars. I played that game, it's pretty crappy. Fortunately for a reduced price on online!
i mean ultimately this is why reviews should be taken with a grain of salt across the board. you're never going to align 1:1 with someone else's views. when i see a 4 and a 5 the difference between them means little to me as in the end it tells me the same thing: a great game worth playing.

Top Bottom