• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I like to read the terrible ones too just to get an indicator of what they might have done badly.

Me too, but it sounds like he already had very specific problems he was hoping/expecting to see from the game, rather than just asking if there were more critical reviews to read....

Me too, but it sounds like he already had very specific problems he was hoping/expecting to see from the game, rather than just asking if there were more critical reviews to read....

Ah ok. I know when im shopping online i always read the one star customer feedbacks first just to see whats wrong with the product. But in this case ya, i see what ur saying.

Is this a serious post?

Is yours?

What the fuck does this game do to deserve 9+ & 10 scores?
All I seen is they balanced some of the stuff that they originally added in Reach & added some minor small Call of Duty perks & loadouts.

All I seen reviews state about the campaign it's "just" good ole Halo.
Oh & graphics are good & there are mechs, but a lot of people were disappointed with Reach when it came out & this game doesn't look like a big step over it.

Monocle

Is yours?

All I seen is they balanced some of the stuff that they originally added in Reach & added some minor small Call of Duty perks & loadouts.

Oh & graphics are good & there are mechs, but a lot of people were disappointed with Reach when it came out & this game doesn't look like a big step over it.
Trying hard to hate this game, aren't you?

Sissel

They still exist?
apparently. The review reads like a troll review.

These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments. And while I get that 343i was deathly afraid to come in and mess with the elements most consider Halo canon, it’s a lot to ask of us who play other games in the genre to continue to stomach a core most left behind half a decade ago. Mind you, some folks might find the videogame equivalent of being forced to eat your vegetables a comforting alternative to Microsoft putting a dash of modern in their combat, but when stacked up to Dishonored, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops II, Halo 4’s campaign feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist.

ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

Less open spaces and sandbox gameplay, more scripted events and narrow corridors!

apparently. The review reads like a troll review.

These low points are openly exacerbated by the series’ staunch refusal to get with the times when it comes to game mechanics and level design, ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics in favor of their age-old addiction to slow, methodical combat in unnecessarily large environments. And while I get that 343i was deathly afraid to come in and mess with the elements most consider Halo canon, it’s a lot to ask of us who play other games in the genre to continue to stomach a core most left behind half a decade ago. Mind you, some folks might find the videogame equivalent of being forced to eat your vegetables a comforting alternative to Microsoft putting a dash of modern in their combat, but when stacked up to Dishonored, Far Cry 3, and Black Ops II, Halo 4’s campaign feels as empty and uninspired as its strong, silent protagonist.

Lmao! EGM is pretty "empty and uninspired".

szaromir

Banned
You see i dont feel that way at all. As soon as i start that game i wanna skip that whole jungle and base missions and go straight outside with the hog. Then theres that "interior of a mouth" looking flood mission which is frustration on a disk and incredibly boring. This game has fun moments and others i would have taken out all together. Plus the story dialogue is just cheezy as hell, and if u havent played the passed games your completely lost. The story telling is average at best. Not to mention how Arbiter is just kinda pushed on the side as if his missions in Halo2 never happened. And this to you, is the pinnacle of Halo games....well, not me.

Most of those things aren't important to me. And the base mission is quite brilliant aside from section with Drones - the small room where they put you together with 15+ Brutes is one of the most incredible moments in any game, at least when you play it on Legendary with several skulls turned on. Once you kill all the lesser Brutes and the Brute Chieftain begins hunting you down and you have nowhere to run is such an adrenaline pumping moment.

Let this be a lesson to 343i. Most of us want good old Halo. This guy will give Blops2 a 10 and not say a work on how they are basically the same game every year. The thing is, they were bright enough to have skill based ranks while 343i copied things for CoD that has been out for years.

Get back to core Halo without all of this bullshit. They aren't going to like it better and neither are we.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Someone explain to me how iron sights are an enhancement?

I don't understand...people just end up putting a scope of some sort on the gun after gaining a couple levels anyway.

Nuts that reviewers are seeing the lack of them as a negative.

Is yours?

Props to the people before the reviews hit that called it - the Halo fanboys aren't going to be upset by 7s and 8s. The whining is going to come from people who don't like the high scores.

Halo, you so krazee.

Sissel

I don't understand...people just end up putting a scope of some sort on the gun after gaining a couple levels anyway.

It would ruin Halo. You wouldn't be able to strafe in combat anymore.

watership

Mairu

Lmao! EGM is pretty "empty and uninspired".

Brandon Justice said:
Remembering how cutting-edge this was at the time is a constant source of humor, as the game seems so flat and ugly by modern standards, but fans will definitely get a constant kick out of this innovative trip down memory lane, as well as tip their hats to the overhaul, which—while failing to match the likes of Reach or Halo 3 on the graphics front—still struts its stuff with admirable style.

It’s an amazing piece of gaming history, to be certain, but a purchase decision still comes down to this: If you’re a fan of the series who loved or missed the original, it’s a no-brainer. This is one of the best pieces of fanservice our industry has ever produced, and you need to go buy it.
This is not a quote from his Halo 4 review- but a quote from his Halo CE review. Looks like 343 should spend more time remaking games than making new ones.

It would ruin Halo. You wouldn't be able to strafe in combat anymore.

So?
ADS would be specifically for longer ranged engagements for more accuracy. It would add to the game & take away nothing of the core at all. The regular no sight strafing combat would not change.

In fact, looking through the scope of the Battle Rifle is pretty much looking down the iron sights already, just only limited to that weapon.

Gorillaz

Just saw Machinima's review
10/10

I almost forgot how "excited" they get over halo. It's on the scary side alittle. Still happy to see 343 getting the fanbase hype for the game.

Easy there. Giving the game a harsh review doesn't automatically make them a bunch of monkeys.

Besides, a lot of the latest reviews have been lower than the series' average. Maybe the game is *shocker* not that good?

Because there's such a huge difference between 9 and 9.5. The game has been getting fantastic reviews overall, in what way does that indicate that it's 'not that good'?

Sissel

Easy there. Giving the game a harsh review doesn't automatically make them a bunch of monkeys.

Besides, a lot of the latest reviews have been lower than the series' average. Maybe the game is *shocker* not that good?
The lack of iron sight complaint is dumb. And comparing the game to Black Ops, Dishonored and Far Cry 3 IN THE REVIEW is unprofessional. And did he even beat Black Ops 2 and FC3?

Pooya

343 is going to add ironsights to Halo 5, aren't they? :S man, I mean look at most of Halo weapons, they don't even have iron sights, why someone would want ironsight in Halo, makes no sense...

I like how ironsights is considered "modern" fps mechanic. haha.

343 is going to add ironsights to Halo 5, aren't they? :S man, I mean look at most of Halo weapons, they don't even have iron sights, why someone would want ironsight in Halo, makes no sense...

Hopefully Frank and the crew stay faithful to the series, as they appear to have done with 4. After seeing what they got out of the 360, I can't wait to see what they pull out of the new Xbox. This team alone is reason enough for me to go with the next Xbox.

Trickster

The EGM reviewer wants smaller environments, more scripted sequences and iron sights in a Halo game?

Dear lord!

I'm not reading reviews for fear of spoilers. But man if it says that in the review. The reviewer really shouldn't be in the business of writing reviews. Wanting things that a pretty much the polar opposite of what halo games do? Brilliant.

eh might as well add it. they already put in classes,perks,killstreaks/care package,unlocks and a lot more.

ignoring obvious enhancements like big-ticket sequences and proper iron-sights mechanics

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

Less open spaces and sandbox gameplay, more scripted events and narrow corridors!

Holy shit, what a joke. Its fine if they aren't the happiest with the game, but fucking calling Iron Sights an needed improvement? I mean, I don't mind ADS in other games but seriously, wtf? What a joke of a journalist.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
So reviewers want Call of Duty in space?

Will be interesting if Blops 2 (which I am equally hyped for as Halo) gets as many more of the same comments from reviewers.

Cartman86

Banned

Do they? And if they do quiet a few of them are still "iron sights" in that you pull the left trigger to get a slightly more zoomed in sight. red dot for example. I consider those all the same thing. I guess the sniper and ACOG scopes are in a different category. The fact that you use the left trigger does add a lot to the way of playing compared to clicking in the right stick to zoom in.

Vire

In a few months this review will look favorable compared to impressions here I'd bet.

Doubt it, his complaints are completely absurd. I swear, this is a troll review, it has to be.

He says the game needs iron sights, smaller environments, more scripted scenarios.

The massive environments and unscripted nature of Halo's combat is what truly makes it great. No one scenario plays out the same every time. Big budget games these days seem to be getting closer and closer to "auto-play", Halo flies in the face of that.

I hope for the industries sake that people don't listen to this moron.

Top Bottom