• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4: Review Thread

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
It's a short game but more importantly, its an uninspired single player campaign. Objectives are very basic, I was surprised at the lack of creativity in the level design.

Would you please stop talking about your experience with a stolen copy? Thanks.

Hypron

I wouldn't worry about the game's length. I still remember GAF freaking out because there were reports of people finishing dishonored in 5 hours when the game would actually last you at least 3 times as long if you played it without rushing through it.

It's a short game but more importantly, its an uninspired single player campaign. Objectives are very basic, I was surprised at the lack of creativity in the level design.

Berva can you give me a breakdown of your favorite Halo games?
Did you think Reach was confined?

ironcreed

Banned
I just googled speed runs for halo 1, 2, 3 and reach

All of the ones I saw combined? About 6.5 hours ;)

Reach took me about 7 on normal and 1, 2 and 3 around 8-9 hours. Was hoping for something a tad longer, but it really sounds very near par for the course. Plus a Legendary run, which will no doubt probably take me 15 or more hours at the least. I'll be fine.

sp3000

I played it in 9 Hours on Heroic while barely finding any terminals on the first playthrough.

Even on Normal, anyone playing this game under 7 hours does not give a fuck about Halo. They're just cruising by every encounter. If you're playing a game just to get to see the next cutscene instead of actually playing the damn game then you shouldn't be in the business of reviewing games.

It's like how when the game first got leaked and apparently the leaker streamed it online on Easy. EASY?! That's the kind of shit where people just wanna brag and see cutscenes instead of actually enjoying the game

Halo 4 is as long as Halo 1, Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

Yes I'm sure your review is objective when you have a Halo 4 avatar. Why not put a mountain dew logo there also

watership

Those two 'reviews' are so light and flimsy, i don't even know if you could call them a review. They don't really even take a stance on anything. Nothing specific. Creepy.

Gorillaz

Make sure to check out this page of the journalism thread for all of the proper scoring icons!

rAMNXx.png

got damn

DopeyFish

Yes I'm sure your review is objective when you have a Halo 4 avatar. Why not put a mountain dew logo there also

Well his review in the halo thread had more content than the two reviews posted

A review of halo from a halo fan is key

Remember, a good chunk of us HATED reach

MrDaravon

I played it in 9 Hours on Heroic while barely finding any terminals on the first playthrough.

Even on Normal, anyone playing this game under 7 hours does not give a fuck about Halo. They're just cruising by every encounter. If you're playing a game just to get to see the next cutscene instead of actually playing the damn game then you shouldn't be in the business of reviewing games.

It's like how when the game first got leaked and apparently the leaker streamed it online on Easy. EASY?! That's the kind of shit where people just wanna brag and see cutscenes instead of actually enjoying the game

Halo 4 is as long as Halo 1, Halo 3 and Halo Reach.

What does this even mean? You're saying that they're running past or bypassing encounters?

Sean

Banned
Six hours on normal difficulty seems about on par with the past few Halo campaigns to me.

There's no challenge on normal difficulty and you can breeze right through the game. I'm pretty sure Bungie has always recommended Heroic for the past few games.

DopeyFish

What does this even mean? You're saying that they're running past or bypassing encounters?

That's what it appears. Remember, this game has sprint ALL the time. So if there's objectives with waypoints, you can sprint to them and avoid encounters way better than before.

Also if the dude played part of the game at the 2 level preview event

Then the review event

Then on their own copy

Was their timing based on first play? Have my doubts

MrDaravon

I wonder if they all did it solo, I'm assuming so? I just looked at the data on bnet, Halo 3 on Heroic with me and one other person took right about 5 hours flat day one. Or maybe I just don't give a fuck about Halo, who knows!

That's what it appears. Remember, this game has sprint ALL the time. So if there's objectives with waypoints, you can sprint to them and avoid encounters way better than before.

There have always been some encounters you could bypass in previous games, but suggesting that the addition of sprint allowed reviewers to completely ignore significantly more encounters than before seems to be a bit of a leap.

Lunar15

Hey, it looks like a high profile release is about to be reviewed! You can bet two things are going to happen! Let's take a look:

1. A bunch of people are going to throw a fit that the 8.5-9.5 score is too low!

2. A bunch of other people are going to throw a fit that the 8.5-9.5 score is too high!

All while journalistic integrity goes under too much/not enough scrutiny. Tis the season, folks! We'll see you again at the Black Ops 2 launch!

Exactly. Halo has a sandbox that includes vehicles, and gives you lots of opprtunities to just drive on ahead and bypass encounters or run past enemies (now that there's sprint). But if you're just running on ahead to get to the next checkpoint then what's the point?

Apath

Is that Games Radar review serious? How can it be so poorly done? Sounds like they hired a random guy off the street to read one liners off of some note cards at indicated points.

I wouldn't worry about the game's length. I still remember GAF freaking out because there were reports of people finishing dishonored in 5 hours when the game would actually last you at least 3 times as long if you played it without rushing through it.

You can`t compare those two games. Dishonored has lots of optional rooms and levels sections you can explore. Halo never had such additional content beside the main path.

Vire

The Games Radar review really should be thrown out the window. Not because of the great score, but because of how fucking idiotic it is.

Omission of Iron Sights makes the gameplay feel dated? DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

Cheesy one liners with little to no substance throughout, just awful review. The "journalist" couldn't even follow simple embargo protocols.

DopeyFish

There have always been some encounters you could bypass in previous games, but suggesting that the addition of sprint allowed reviewers to completely ignore significantly more encounters than before seems to be a bit of a leap.

You can now run

Outside of crawlers, nothing else really does.

You play on normal, you can skip past entire sequences if objective isn't "kill all enemies".

In halo 1-3 (and reach most of the time), your limited walking speed makes you vulnerable. You cant just walk buy enemies all that easily. That and you cover less ground due to your walking speed.

Got lots of ground to cover in halo 4? Fuck it! Super speed!

It's not a difficult concept to grasp, really.

Even in between encounters, the times are compressed. I'm just going to avoid pressing that button, honestly.

What "review"? I don't give score nor am I in a business to get clicks. I gave impressions about certain elements and laid out a few facts, all in comparison to OTHER Halos. It literally took me 9 hours on heroic for example. This is coming from someone who has played every Halo extensively. Calling this game short, or at least shorter than any other mainline Halo game is being disingenuous. So is your idiotic insinuation that a fan of a Halo game can't give valuable impressions to other Halo fans.

berva

Neo Member
Halo 3 is my favourite.

If I had to put them in order they would look like this.

1. Halo 3
2. Halo 1
3. halo Reach
4. Halo ODST
5. Halo 4
6. Halo 2

Lingitiz

The Games Radar review really should be thrown out the window. Not because of the great score, but because of how fucking idiotic it is.

Omission of Iron Sights makes the gameplay feel dated? DO YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING.

Cheesy one liners with little to no substance throughout, just awful review. The "journalist" couldn't even follow simple embargo protocols.

I find it funny that someone would bring up the iron sights argument shortly after a game (MOH) following the COD model got critically panned.

ironcreed

Banned
What "review"? I don't give score nor am I in a business to get clicks. I gave impressions about certain elements and laid out a few facts, all in comparison to OTHER Halos. It literally took me 9 hours on heroic for example. This is coming from someone who has played every Halo extensively. Calling this game short, or at least shorter than any other mainline Halo game is being disingenuous. So is your idiotic insinuation that a fan of a Halo game can't give valuable impressions to other Halo fans.

Just wanted to say thanks for your impressions. What you described sounds right in line with what it should be.

Sissel

I know it's early but where do you think it stands campaign wise against the other Halos?

Duxxy3

Short campaign :(

May not pick this up day one. I'm one of like 3 people on the planet who play the series for the campaign. Just too short to justify $60.

mik83kuu

Banned
Halo 3 is my favourite.

If I had to put them in order they would look like this.

1. Halo 3
2. Halo 1
3. halo Reach
4. Halo ODST
5. Halo 4
6. Halo 2

What difficulty did you play Halo 4 on? Is it easier, harder or about the same? I've got no experience with Halo 3.

MrDaravon

Exactly. Halo has a sandbox that includes vehicles, and gives you lots of opprtunities to just drive on ahead and bypass encounters or run past enemies (now that there's sprint). But if you're just running on ahead to get to the next checkpoint then what's the point?

Is sprint unlimited in Campaign? Also are the sandbox encounters significantly more open than in previous games? Even if you had given me unlimited sprint, day one first playthrough on 3/Reach I just couldn't see shaving off the amount of time you're stating in those games, at least not on a first playthrough. I would also assume that for most people who play Halo or shooters fairly casually, they would either prefer to just kill everything, or not necessarily think to avoid everything like that off the bat.

Also I'm looking at my campaign history for Halo 3 and Reach, and my day one Heroic times are clocking in way under the hour count you're providing for 4, and if you're saying 4 is the same length as previous games I think you may just honestly need to consider that different people can progress through the games at a different pace.

Short campaign :(

May not pick this up day one. I'm one of like 3 people on the planet who play the series for the campaign. Just too short to justify $60.

So you're probably not one that plays on Normal anyways, so why would that one guy's duration matter?
And doesn't Spartan Ops appeal to you? It is a second full length campaign.

Squire

Banned
Yes, actually. The reviewer should not give two shits about what he or she is reviewing up until the game/movie/book/refrigerator sells itself to the reviewer, not the other way around.

The movie critic should say "Okay, I'm going to see some movie today. So what?" And then, if the movie has merit, the movie and not the reviewer will answer that question. Then, after that process is over, the reviewer will write his review and try to explain to the potential customers the same question: "so what?"

It's not entirely objective (humans are not robots). But it's not at all subjective.

You might have actually had me there for a moment, but your whole post went to shit with this. I'll engage this argument no further.

berva

Neo Member
What difficulty did you play Halo 4 on? Is it easier, harder or about the same? I've got no experience with Halo 3.

Played Halo 4 on Heroic, took around 7 hours to complete.

Halo 3 on Heroic is a harder game purely based on the greatness of the level design.

Just wanted to say thanks for your impressions. What you described sounds right in line with what it should be.
No problem :)
In a few hours you'll have a lot more impressions and viewpoints than just mine!

I will say this though, the only reason that anyone could think that this game is shorter is because there are no levels that bring the game to a crippling halt (Library, Quarantine Zone, Cortana). Flood levels always seem to go on forever due to their monotony and repetition, that typically gives the impression that the game is longer than it actually is.

Vire

So the Games Radar video is set to private now. Maybe they realized how fucking bad it was and pulled it? Or they realized that the embargo isn't actually up...

Top Bottom