• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 beta clips leak (sprint, ADS is *not* COD-style) (more clips and info added)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
lol people saying they'll remove it

Halo 4 was trashed because it was getting close to Halo 4. 343 said that they are listening and learning from their mistakes.

Then this happens. So... where was the listening? Sprint made the game shit. ADS will make the game even more shit.

Sojgat

102442-yoda-disappointed-gif-Imgur-ods7.gif

As I said previously, I don't mind 343i exploring new ideas for Halo 5 as long as there is Classic Playlists. What I saw of that leak looked like gameplay straight out of Destiny. It's probably a good thing they are having a Beta so early. But I feel that they can keep those changes as long as they're relegated to their own playlists. Best of both worlds I feel could be best.

Courage

The proliferation of ADS is one of the worst things that has happened to the shooter genre. What dumb, useless mechanic.

I don't get why it's so commonplace either. The gunfights I've had in Halo were 100x more exciting than any COD MP scenario I've encountered.

cackhyena

HEY GUYZ IF PEOPLE WANT SHIT, AND THEY DON'T ADD SHIT, PEOPLE WILL SAY WHY DIDN'T YOU GIVE THEM SHIT

this argument is terrible JLeack. You design for what works best, not to appease shitlords without skills who never even liked the series to begin with for what it was.

ADS caters to people without skills?

Aiming down sites is how one properly uses a gun. That's not a COD thing. I don't get why people want the gunplay in Halo stuck in 1997.

My feelings as well. Kind of shocked at the melodrama and outrage on display in here, but I'm also not a Halo fanatic. It is the proper way to fire a weapon and a lot of shooter players appreciate the ability to do it.

Could this still be removed after the beta if the reaction is bad which it will be

Could they remove it? Sure. But 343i already knows fully well that core fans of the series don't want sprint or ADS in the game, yet here they are. So.......I wouldn't hold my breath.

They've been making it pretty clear for the last few years that they're simply not interested in catering to longtime fans of the series with the new titles. They're going to chase the COD crowd into the grave and the rest of us can go fuck ourselves.

At least we get the MCC....

And here I was thinking 343 finally gets it.

This. I thought they finally understood what made Halo great considering they've done so much right with the MCC. Guess I was wrong.

Oh well, at least we'll be able to play Halo 1, 2, and 3 online for the rest of the generation.

VeeP

You do realize that if they don't add these things, people will view their new game as archaic, right?

This abundance of hyperbole lately is not cool.

Look at the Halo 3 multiplayer drop off, and the Halo 4 drop off. Guess which one lasted longer?

Hint: The one that didn't try to be Call of Duty and gave fans what they want.

Grief.exe

Generally it upsets people in arena shooters who don't like the speed slowdown that comes with ADS.

Sprint also means you can't fire while moving at top speeds.

It's to make it easier to aim and shoot people by slowing the game down.

This is exactly why I don't understand how Titanfall's mechanics made it through QA. How do they create an arena shooter, then force everyone to completely stop to fire? Defies all rational thought, except that they have to target a certain demographic at the expense of good game design.

Arguments hold true for Halo as well, which was originally designed as an arena shooter for consoles.

ADS caters to people without skills?

Significantly easier to aim when you and your opponent are rooted in place.

Vire

This would be the equivalent of changing how Mario jumped to the same way another popular platformer did.

Not having ADS is part of what makes Halo - Halo. Now it's just Call of Duty Space Edition.

I am so incredibly upset you have no idea.

Well at least we have MCC as one last good reminder of what Halo actually was. Sad to see it turn into a COD game in space, but I guess that was expected given what we already saw in Halo 4.

SDCowboy

Do you play Halo? No? That's why you don't get how its offensive.

Edit: But wait till the Beta before we bitch. A month and half longer guys.

I don't play it anymore, but I certainly did for years. I much prefer aiming down sights.

Amir0x

Banned
I don't get why it's so commonplace either. The gunfights I've had in Halo were 100x more exciting than any COD MP scenario I've encountered.

because it allows shitty players to have a better chance at hitting things

it's the trend in gaming and people support this shit. more coddling, more hand holding, more ways to appease horrendous players who get annoyed they can't acquire the skill sets to compete, and so they ruin it for the rest of us who actually want exciting and engaging skill-based combat.

Derp

Not sure why people are mad.

I don't play Halo, but what's wrong with ADS...? It's not like you're forced to use it.

And it's all of a sudden a cod clone? Because it has ADS? The fuck?

And sprinting? That's... That's a bad thing? You guys do realise you don't have to sprint either right?

So lost...

Going to hope the ADS was just a reskin of scoping from the old game. This is really disappointing news if it's as bad as it sounds.

djshauny

Banned
With all the insults in this thread I hope they keep ADS and sprint.

Some of you disgust me.

Be respectful and let them know properly without swearing and throwing insults.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It lets people who aren't very good at moving and shooting while aiming at a fast moving target shooting back do better, because it removes most of what I just described.

Nothing at all wrong with aiming down the sights. Welcome to 2014.
Aiming down sites is how one properly uses a gun. That's not a COD thing. I don't get why people want the gunplay in Halo stuck in 1997.

Not having ADS isn't some archaic game design relic from the past thing. It is a gameplay choice that makes a game play completely different then games that do use an ADS system.

If only evolve wouldn't mean "become like any other shooter out there." Halo has plenty of room for evolution, however evolution shouldn't be misunderstood as giving up your identity.
And adding ADS shouldn't be misunderstood as giving up your identity lol. I'm guessing you bought Halo way back when because of how much you loved it's use of hip firing?

Stopmotionkai

Neo Member
Im sorry, but you cant be serious.

Beta's these days aren't meant find out if you like primary features like that or not. theyre usually for server tests at the most, or feature TWEAKS.

Betas are mainly for marketing hype, etc.

So if you think theyre just gonna say " Hmmm. They don't like ADS. Lets remove it." Im sorry for your impending disappointment.

I should clarify. I meant judging the quality of the game itself and not features like sprint or Ads. My apologies.

Omni

How did 343i go from the MCC to... this?

Have they learnt nothing over the last two years with Halo 4? Such an incompetent studio. From day one they've tried to turn Halo into CoD.

legacyzero

Banned
Core gameplay mechanics that can be experimented with, chopped and changed as required. The game isn't releasing for over a year.
Oh. Well this would be surprising if they actually adhered to this, knowing how many betas worked last gen.

Orayn

Not sure why people are mad.

I don't play Halo, but what's wrong with ADS...? It's not like you're forced to use it.

And it's all of a sudden a cod clone? Because it has ADS? The fuck?

And sprinting? That's... That's a bad thing? You guys do realise you don't have to sprint either right?

So lost...

Yes you are. ADS typically means hip-fire is pitifully inaccurate and players need to drastically slow down their movement in order to hit anything.

On the off chance this is just the visual appearance of zoom as it works in other Halo games, then they only half-ruined it by keeping sprint.

mcrommert

Banned
Still fine with sprint if implemented correctly...but ads is unforgivable...made destiny bad and will make halo bad

Will buy for campaign but the love is gone

lol people saying they'll remove it

Halo 4 was trashed because it was getting close to Halo 4. 343 said that they are listening and learning from their mistakes.

Then this happens. So... where was the listening? Sprint made the game shit. ADS will make the game even more shit.

In all fairness, Sprint was pretty far down the list of Halo 4's problems compared to stuff like loadouts, random weapon spawns, etc.

Maybe it's time for the game to evolve.
I'm sure anyone would agree with that, but the way it's evolving seems like a very hard swing from the traditional pace and feel for Halo, which will both drive away fans and perhaps result in a game that feels awkward overall if 343's trying to go for a 'middle ground' between Halo and CoD/BF/etc.

Let's not freak out too much until we see more of it.

BibiMaghoo

Guess hardcore Halo MO fans don't want change to classic gameplay model - which ADS and sprint would clearly bring as they do affect play style and arguably weapon balance.

Not horrified myself but if they're making notable changes it could get very interesting if they don't hit home. Last thing MS needs is a Halo on Xbox One that tails off as quickly for online as Halo 4 did on 360.

I guess another angle is it makes title possibly too similar to other games vs being more clearly differentiated.

Assing the clips even valud of course.

It's certainly a feature that makes sense and is justified from my perspective. People do aim down weapon sites, and have done since the creation of the firearm. It makes less sense to exclude it than include it. I think there is too much adversity to adopting features in games that are popular and common, because by extension, it generally means a mechanic is successful, and wanted. I cannot speak to the way this may change a Halo game, as my experience with them is extremely limited.

Arnie

:lol

Incompetent.

Abandoned Xbox as a platform after Halo 4. 343 have no idea what they're doing. Complete and utter train wreck.

Top Bottom