• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Forge - First PC Gameplay (Custom Match + 4K Map Flythrough)

Xyber

Does the game support Nvidia Shadowplay?

Should work just fine if you enable desktop recording since all apps are in borderless windowed mode.

No FoV slider and the game being locked to 60fps really sours the experience for me. =/
Ran around in a map a bit and the tearing I get is annoying (I don't want to use vsync), the FoV is not super low but low enough to make me feel a bit weird.

We are so close to what I want the Halo experience to be on PC, I hope they get it right with the next one if they develop it properly for PC.

Fret

Should work just fine if you enable desktop recording since all apps are in borderless windowed mode.

No FoV slider and the game being locked to 60fps really sours the experience for me. =/
Ran around in a map a bit and the tearing I get is annoying (I don't want to use vsync), the FoV is not super low but low enough to make me feel a bit weird.

We are so close to what I want the Halo experience to be on PC, I hope they get it right with the next one if they develop it properly for PC.

i have a 165hz monitor and i'm fine with the 60 cap... but yeah a FOV slider is kinda a must. especially if im gonna try and get my friends to play this. it'll be all they complain about.

Xyber

i have a 165hz monitor and i'm fine with the 60 cap... but yeah a FOV slider is kinda a must. especially if im gonna try and get my friends to play this. it'll be all they complain about.

I can deal with 60fps, but it feels so much worse than 100+ and it really brings it down for me.

Muzicfreq

Banned
WELL FUCK!
I can't download it since im still on a 750ti

-_- I need a DX12 card
OI OI OI!!! WHY ARE 1070s SO DAMN EXPENSIVE?! JESUS!

Oh please Lord, tell me I didn't miss it...

Did it go up on accident? Can I still download it?

Those screenshots literally have my eyes watering. I think I'll be in shambles for a bit when I actually get to see it for myself at 4k on my PC...

Theorry

Oh please Lord, tell me I didn't miss it...

Did it go up on accident? Can I still download it?

Those screenshots literally have my eyes watering. I think I'll be in shambles for a bit when I actually get to see it for myself at 4k on my PC...

Accident. Its gone now atm.

Accident. Its gone now atm.

crying_devastated

*Sniff* When is it supposed to go up?

Xyber

It was still available to download for my friend by changing the region to US in Windows time and date settings, this was about 30 minutes ago.

Sorry if this has been said 100 times already...but what exactly is stopping them just adding full multiplayer to PC? If you are going to add custom games, just put matchmaking in there for gods sake.

Halo 5 is an incredible shooter, but I desperately want to play it on a mouse and keyboard. I've kind of moved on from enjoying high level shooters on a controller.

Sorry if this has been said 100 times already...but what exactly is stopping them just adding full multiplayer to PC? If you are going to add custom games, just put matchmaking in there for gods sake.

Halo 5 is an incredible shooter, but I desperately want to play it on a mouse and keyboard. I've kind of moved on from enjoying high level shooters on a controller.

This release is a tool for forgers, not "putting Halo 5 on PC", they have no intention to release actual Halo 5 on PC.

jediyoshi

Xbox Game DVR gave me weird mouse issues, fortunately ShadowPlay works for recording.

This is rad, rip ElDorito.

This release is a tool for forgers, not "putting Halo 5 on PC", they have no intention to release actual Halo 5 on PC.

They why are they adding a custom game browser?

They want people to get Windows 10 and that's the real reason this thing exists. Also a test for 343i to practice a PC version of halo. It would only benefit them to add matchmaking for a nominal fee.

Unstable

Xbox Game DVR gave me weird mouse issues, fortunately ShadowPlay works for recording.

This is rad, rip ElDorito.
Yep. In fact, I'd wager that ElDorito (The cracked version of the now defunct Halo Online) was a major factor as to why Halo 5: Forge exists at all.

They why are they adding a custom game browser?

They want people to get Windows 10 and that's the real reason this thing exists. Also a test for 343i to practice a PC version of halo. It would only benefit them to add matchmaking for a nominal fee.

Because forgers need people to test and play their maps? Plus a nice gesture.

membran

HgLM3Jc.png

well it looks like they're completely locking people out now.

Have you downloaded it earlier while it was still available and this message pops up while booting up the game, or is this an error message while trying to download it?

I can't test it right now myself and I missed the download window earlier today.

ChuckNyce

Oh, ok, that's not nearly as bad as I was thinking.

Do we have a GAF LFG specifically for PC Forge shenanigans till the windows 10 XBL update hits with the groups and stuff?

Someone posted a Discord channel where folks were organizing games - https://discord.gg/mcQ8g

My download just finished, will hopefully have some time to poke around later. Feel free to add me, my Gamertag is "ChuckNyce83".

Seriously no FOV slider? Wtf? Any config settings in the game folder or something?

Also, shouldn't there be no screen tearing in borderless window?

Fret

Have you downloaded it earlier while it was still available and this message pops up while booting up the game, or is this an error message while trying to download it?

I can't test it right now myself and I missed the download window earlier today.

I downloaded it through a method that's been floating around in a pastebin, there was still a direct link up to the DL of the app.

it lets you install it, but now they've locked it down server side.

Miker

How are you guys getting 4K as a selectable resolution? Mine only goes up with 1080p with Nvidia DSR set to 4K. edit: it works if I have my desktop res set to 4K, but I'd rather not do that every time I boot up the game.

membran

I downloaded it through a method that's been floating around in a pastebin, there was still a direct link up to the DL of the app.

it lets you install it, but now they've locked it down server side.

Right. I saw that method but was unsure if I wanted to go down that route. Tom French said on Twitter that people gaining access via shady means would be getting banned, but was unaware at the time that the store leak was happening and later qualified his statement. But I guess it's hard to argue that the pastebin method couldn't be considered "other" means, so his initial statement could indeed apply. Proceed with caution.

It's releasing officially tomorrow, anyways.

Yeah, this is all a conspiracy from our MS Overlords. They plan to increase the Windows 10 user base with this incredible mainstream app!!! Come on now... lol

Dude that's exactly why they are releasing these free products...Getting people used to using the windows store and being part of their ecosystem.

That's not a conspiracy...that's common sense.

Obviously also good practice for devs releasing UWP stuff

Jawmuncher

Fucking lame they took it down. I have slow internet, so being able to start the DL today would have just meant i'd actually be able to play tomorrow.

Oh, neat. It has the same issue the only other UWP app I've run had (Forza 6). Sign into my profile, then it tells me I'm not signed in, then infinite loading screen. Reminds me too much of GFWL.

The last Windows update untethered vsync triple buffering with UWP apps.
What the hell?

Septic360

Banned
Sorry for being really dense here but, Halo 5 on PC???

I thought it was just the forge level builder coming out on PC. You can actually play this on PC??

And what about Warzone/Arena/Falafel?

This is pretty sick though!

Akai__

Dude that's exactly why they are releasing these free products...Getting people used to using the windows store and being part of their ecosystem.

That's not a conspiracy...that's common sense.

Except that Forgers have been asking for such a tool for almost a decade now. It being on Windows 10 makes sense, since it's their latest OS, an UWP title and fits in into Xbox plans for their games. Of course it's also a pretty good Beta for future Halo titles.

Exactly how many people do you think this will attract? How many do you think will switch from Windows 7/8 to 10, because of this game?

Top Bottom