• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Forge - First PC Gameplay (Custom Match + 4K Map Flythrough)

Septic360

Banned
You can play proper online custom games and Forge only, for free though. You'll need to invite people from your Xbox Live friends list or find strangers to play with via external means (discord groups, reddit LFG, etc) and add them to your friends list. 343i said they will indeed implement some form of custom game search filter to Halo 5 (both on PC and Xbox One) in an upcoming update, which is the really interesting part, because then you'd be able to find strangers to play against from within the PC version itself.

You have access to any original map and are able to import/export Forge maps from / to the Xbox One Version of Halo 5.

There's no matchmaking, no campaign, no warzone. But you have access to all REQ weapons and vehicles in Forge and custom games (this is also true for the Xbox One version since the latest update, I believe).

It was meant to be a quality-of-life gift to the Halo 5 Forger's scene because of mouse & keyboard support, and is probably also a sneaky way to drive people towards adopting the Win 10 store. Nevertheless, this is the Halo 5 engine on PC with free multiplayer support (you won't need Xbox Live Gold to play online) and a PC custom game scene could emerge from this. As most Halo veterans will hopefully agree with me: custom games are where it's at.

Ah wow thanks for the info man! Super comprehensive! Much appreciated!

This could really do wonders for Halo 5 and its community.

CryptiK

It can forge maps and test maps, sounds like feature complete to me.

I mean really people need to realize this is not for them, this is for forgers.
Yeah I know thats why they are releasing a custom game browser yeah? Its for both in he long run lets be real here.

For one thing, PC shooters absolutely must have an FOV so if this is a full game or standalone H5 MP then there is no excuse. But in this case you should really cut them a slack as this is a forge tool mostly for the halo forging community, for which 99% of their maps will be played on Xbox One with a fixed FoV.

I am sure forgers love the mini fov and would not like to change it.

Why defend such a silly thing?

I'm pretty sure you can increase FoV in forging mode.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=216099321&postcount=353

There's no matchmaking, no campaign, no warzone. But you have access to all REQ weapons and vehicles in Forge and custom games (this is also true for the Xbox One version since the latest update, I believe).

It was meant to be a quality-of-life gift to the Halo 5 Forger's scene because of mouse & keyboard support, and is probably also a sneaky way to drive people towards adopting the Win 10 store. Nevertheless, this is the Halo 5 engine on PC with free multiplayer support (you won't need Xbox Live Gold to play online) and a PC custom game scene could emerge from this. As most Halo veterans will hopefully agree with me: custom games are where it's at.

Sounds like shit to be honest. Halo Online sounds more fun even in its limited capacity

Magwik

Banned
Sounds like shit to be honest. Halo Online sounds more fun even in its limited capacity

image.php

Halo Online was an abomination

All shooters should be played with low FOV. Nausia and headaches add to the clasuterphobic effects of being in a power suit and feeling vulnerable knowing the enemy can strike at any time

wwm0nkey

Halo Online SUCKED. Its a blight on Halo that tried to combine Halo 3 and Halo 4 and never really worked well.

Like congrats to the modders, but that game is awful.

Caffeine

game told me i dont meet requirements probably cpu. I just closed that nonsense
it runs great max 1080p 60fps solid on i3 4360, r9 390 8GB, 16GBs of ram. uses only 50-60% of cpu, about 3.2GBs of ram on top of windows current 3.8GB usage so I was hitting 7GBs

this looks like 60-65?fov

membran

But Halo Online (you mean ElDorito, that cracked semi-developed fork of the now cancelled Russia-only-Halo-Free2Play HaloOnline, based somewhat on Halo 3's engine) is basically also only custom games with a server browser. Which Halo 5 Forge will get sometime down the line. Until then, making friends and utilizing the friends list will have to do.

I don't get what people are expecting out of this. Complaining about missing campaign or brain-dead p2w warzone, come on now. The Forge guys are happy with this, obviously, and the rest of us get to play Halo 5 multiplayer custom games, for free and no need for xbox live gold, with access to all weapons & vehicles (standard and overpowered REQ versions), gametypes, all existing built-in arena-maps and access to forge-made maps from both the PC and the Xbox One version, in up to 4K, mouse+keyboard support, access to keybindings and the usual PC graphic details settings (it's true that a FoV slider would be nice, though) in a neatly self-updating package that you don't have to keep updated yourself like you'd have to with ElDorito.

What is not to like? What's shit about this? I really don't get it. This is for Forgers and for people who like to play Halo customs and are willing to build a friends list for this. And it's free, which is a nice argument to have on your side when getting your buddies to play it with you.

We will most likely get Halo 6 proper on Win 10 anyway.

Magwik

Banned
game told me i dont meet requirements probably cpu. I just closed that nonsense
it runs great max 1080p 60fps solid on i3 4360, r9 390 8GB, 16GBs of ram. uses only 50-60% of cpu, about 3.2GBs of ram on top of windows current 3.8GB usage so I was hitting 7GBs

this looks like 60-65?fov
Do you have the anniversary update installed?

MaLDo

Yeah it is bizarre...allowing a developer to control how their game plays is crazy...what will they think of next?

I think you don't know how FOV works.

A developer CAN'T control how many inches your TV has or how far from the TV you're going to sit.

Trup1aya

No way to increase the FOV seems like a silly omission... Maybe something that can be easily fixed in an update?

The 60fps lock I expected given what I knew how how H5 was develeped for Xbox one.

That said, how the hell do the pros manage to play this game on a monitor a 70deg? I guess it's something you get used too if that's the only way you play.

membran

Running around playing this made me realize I need an Elite Controller for my PC as well.

The Xbox Elite Controller works out of the box on your PC, though. All you need is a micro USB cable, which the Elite Controller came with anyway.

But if you want to go wireless, you'll need the PC wireless adapter thingie, which costs a bit of money.

wwm0nkey

Since they obviously want to support this with the custom game browser, I imagine FoV slider will come, they already have the ability to adjust it, it just messes with the smart scope stuff.

Now 60+ FPS I sadly don't see happening

Arkanius

The Xbox Elite Controller works out of the box on your PC, though. All you need is a micro USB cable, which the Elite Controller came with anyway.

But if you want to go wireless, you'll need the PC wireless adapter thingie, which costs a bit of money.

New Xbox One controllers are bluetooth instead of a wireless protocol. Don't know about the Elites though.

Trup1aya

Since they obviously want to support this with the custom game browser, I imagine FoV slider will come, they already have the ability to adjust it, it just messes with the smart scope stuff.

Now 60+ FPS I sadly don't see happening

What's the process of adjusting it?

hwalker84

I know all this. I'm using my One S controller and hadn't played Halo without the Elite since the Elite came out. I started taping the back of the controller where the paddles are. I also didn't know which button was boost because I have it on a paddle. I'm just saying I now need a second one.

But Halo Online (you mean ElDorito, that cracked semi-developed fork of the now cancelled Russia-only-Halo-Free2Play HaloOnline, based somewhat on Halo 3's engine) is basically also only custom games with a server browser. Which Halo 5 Forge will get sometime down the line. Until then, making friends and utilizing the friends list will have to do.

I don't get what people are expecting out of this. Complaining about missing campaign or brain-dead p2w warzone, come on now. The Forge guys are happy with this, obviously, and the rest of us get to play Halo 5 multiplayer custom games, for free and no need for xbox live gold, with access to all weapons & vehicles (standard and overpowered REQ versions), gametypes, all existing built-in arena-maps and access to forge-made maps from both the PC and the Xbox One version, in up to 4K, mouse+keyboard support, access to keybindings and the usual PC graphic details settings (it's true that a FoV slider would be nice, though) in a neatly self-updating package that you don't have to keep updated yourself like you'd have to with ElDorito.

What is not to like? What's shit about this? I really don't get it. This is for Forgers and for people who like to play Halo customs and are willing to build a friends list for this. And it's free, which is a nice argument to have on your side when getting your buddies to play it with you.

We will most likely get Halo 6 proper on Win 10 anyway.

PLUS above all this you get the best gameplay and balanced FPS MP experience this generation.

membran

I know all this. I'm using my One S controller and hadn't played Halo without the Elite since the Elite came out. I started taping the back of the controller where the paddles are. I also didn't know which button was boost because I have it on a paddle. I'm just saying I now need a second one.

Alright then, I just wanted to make sure. :)

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
yep, and im right. anything under 90 is headache inducing. unplayable.

Eh, I'll play it just fine and enjoy it even without FOV options. Sure it would be nice to have them, but I've never had any problem adjusting to narrow FOV's when I had to.

So no, it will be completely playable for me. Sorry for your loss though.

Nowise10

I don't know how FoV crap works behind the scenes, but maybe that is why its not an option in the game, because it breaks the smartscopes?

th4tguy

Is there a way to download this outside of windows store? I can't get windows store to open in my horrible windows 10 upgraded install.

wwm0nkey

I don't know how FoV crap works behind the scenes, but maybe that is why its not an option in the game, because it breaks the smartscopes?

oh that's probably 100% the reason. I am sure they can fix it though but I understand why it was not a high priority for initial release

Kibbles

Movement is pretty shaky with a controller, not like console.

Also not being able to downsample from 4k, the fuck??? I even have a DSR set.

Akai__

When is this supposed to release, anyway? What time?

Would be nice if it's midnight local time. Maybe some people in Australia etc. already can download? Someone should check. I'll definitely check back at midnight local time, which is in 6 hours.

Wouldn't be surprised if it drops at 9am PT, though. That's when all Halo 5 Content Updates were released.

Magwik

Banned
Would be nice if it's midnight local time. Maybe some people in Australia etc. already can download? Someone should check. I'll definitely check back at midnight local time, which is in 6 hours.

Wouldn't be surprised if it drops at 9am PT, though. That's when all Halo 5 Content Updates were released.

Considering the full build of the game is already on the windows store I don't see why they can't just drop it at 12am PST.

Top Bottom