• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5: Forge - First PC Gameplay (Custom Match + 4K Map Flythrough)

Is there anyone else here like me, where Windows 10 hasnt done the Anniversary Update? (Which is needed for Halo 5: Forge hence my question.)
I've been sat on build 1511 since it was launched.
I know I can do it manually, but I find it odd that it hasnt done it itself.
UK as well, if that makes any difference.

dLMN8R

Is there anyone else here like me, where Windows 10 hasnt done the Anniversary Update?
I've been sat on build 1511 since it was launched.
I know I can do it manually, but I find it odd that it hasnt done it itself.
UK as well, if that makes any difference.

The anniversary update is still being rolled out gradually to more and more people. But yes anyone can go and force it now if you want any of the features in it or to play games like Forge.

Bsigg12

The anniversary update is still being rolled out gradually to more and more people. But yes anyone can go and force it now if you want any of the features in it or to play games like Forge.

I'm not at home right now but do you have any suggestions for fixing an issue that started with the most recent normal (not insider) update that keeps popping up an error when I try to install games like Horzion 3 or this to not the C drive? It gets a few MBs downloaded and fails.

Quantum Break, KI, Forza Apex and even Recore all installed fine.

dLMN8R

I'm not at home right now but do you have any suggestions for fixing an issue that started with the most recent normal (not insider) update that keeps popping up an error when I try to install games like Horzion 3 or this to not the C drive? It gets a few MBs downloaded and fails.

Quantum Break, KI, Forza Apex and even Recore all installed fine.

I can probably help, but will need more info. Feel free to PM me the details including any error codes you might see. Also run wscollect from the start menu and send it along to me.

Forza Horizon 3 will still just be a few MB in size much like Recore since it's just a preorder placeholder for now.

Bsigg12

I can probably help, but will need more info. Feel free to PM me the details including any error codes you might see. Also run wscollect from the start menu and send it along to me.

Forza Horizon 3 will still just be a few MB in size much like Recore since it's just a preorder placeholder for now.

Will do. It was weird with Recore it worked fine, even just the few MBs it is right now but Horizon keeps failing for the 6 or so MB it is. I'll send you that info later tonight. Thanks!

watership

Your lack of use of clamber really frustrated me lol.

I seriously think M/K is a hindrance in this game and people will enjoy it more with a controller. How the hell are you going to do the complex move sets on a mouse/keyboard? Sure the options on the keys will be there and aiming will be more accurate, but i seriously doubt it'll be as fluid for movement as the controller.

Nokterian

Wait there is anti-defence force who don't understand FoV or never played a PC shooter in it's entirely...FoV Slider is important on PC like other said i get motion sickness and headaches with a low FoV of 65 that low is for TV not PC Monitor where you need at least 90 i got sick watching those video's. On PC it is a standard to have a FoV Slider in shooter or other games since you are sitting closer to the monitor.

BadCompany2FOV.gif

An example..65 or 55 is terrible above is better.

Wait there is anti-defence force who don't understand FoV or never played a PC shooter in it's entirely...FoV Slider is important on PC like other said i get motion sickness and headaches with a low FoV of 65 that low is for TV not PC Monitor where you need at least 90 i got sick watching those video's. On PC it is a standard to have a FoV Slider in shooter or other games since you are sitting closer to the monitor.

BadCompany2FOV.gif

Bad Company is a terrible example though; the gun does not change along with the FOV and makes it look pretty weird. But I definitely understand your point, and wish this had an FOV slider. I'll still enjoy it nonetheless.

Nokterian

Bad Company is a terrible example though; the gun does not change along with the FOV and makes it look pretty weird. But I definitely understand your point, and wish this had an FOV slider. I'll still enjoy it nonetheless.

At least i can play BC2 without getting a headache since at that time DICE forgot to add a FoV slider so the community had to made it.

I have a Windows 10 Key, but I'm scared to update from Win7 since I do all my work on this machine. Is there a way to roll back after installing Windows 10?

Miker

I seriously think M/K is a hindrance in this game and people will enjoy it more with a controller. How the hell are you going to do the complex move sets on a mouse/keyboard? Sure the options on the keys will be there and aiming will be more accurate, but i seriously doubt it'll be as fluid for movement as the controller.

I actually agree that thruster use may suffer a bit w/ WASD rather than analog movement. That said, all the general movement stuff should be more than doable with m+kb. Halo 5's movement, while great, isn't all that complex - the map design is brilliant in taking advantage of it, but there's not nearly as much technical stuff to it as, say, Quake.

I have a Windows 10 Key, but I'm scared to update from Win7 since I do all my work on this machine. Is there a way to roll back after installing Windows 10?

Yes. In recovery menu you can roll back to Win7 if theres a problem. It deletes the roll back after a month to free disk space but that should be more than enough time to tell if there's any problems worthy of rolling back.

Did I read this right? Look even if you feel more comfortable about using a controller for a shooter. It's a fact that M/KB is definitive for shooters in comparison to using a controller. Not even saying that controller users can't beat M/KB users. Because I've seen it in games such as Max Payne 3, COD, and even Battlefield games. But you'd be biased to say that, just because using a controller works for you. There's a reason why Gears 4 wont support versus cross-play.

Lol

krang

Interesting point. Aiming will obviously be better, but I wonder if people with controllers will have the upper hand on manoeuvrability.

Trup1aya

This anti-FOV slider defense force is insane.

I think it's a mix of people who legitamately don't understand why it's an issue for PC gamers and people who are sympathetic because they understand that halo5 was developed at shipped without intentions of going to PC.

belushy

Banned
Anybody set up a PC customs company? You can bring up the company friend list in game so that could be used until customs browser is in.

jediyoshi

because it was very obvious to figure out what i was saying? fov slider & fov are the same thing in this conversation. the game has neither, thus the problem.

So you literally don't comprehend the idea that adjustable FOV and FOV itself could be distinct concepts? Why continue specifically clarifying something when making your point? You think the average person would read

"FOV is a HUGE issue for playing on PC. I don't care if a game is free or $100, it must have an fov slider to be actually playable."

and "FOV is a HUGE issue for playing on PC." as completely identical statements?

membran

I wonder if people with controllers will have the upper hand on manoeuvrability.

They won't. Why would they? Because the dash move is on Caps Lock by default? There's screenshot evidence that you can rebind the keys to your liking, anyway. And analogue movement via left stick (as opposed to the digital WASD one) really isn't important in Halo or in any first person shooter really.

Have you guys never watched top tier PC arena fps footage (like, from tournaments and such) and taken note of the insane movement skills the players put on display?

Besides, I have like 10 extra buttons on my mouse that I can configure freely. I could put melee attack on the thumb button of the mouse (and would still have three more buttons I could use additionally in that vicinity) and the dash move on literally swiping the mouse wheel to the right. Weapon switch on mouse wheel spin, shooting on left mouse button, smart scope on right mouse button, grenade on pressing the the mouse wheel down, crouch on CTRL, movement on WASD, jump on space, reload/use/pickup on R, sprint on Shift, cycle grenades on Q and scoreboard on Tab. That way, I would have divided all functions evenly between keyboard keys and my mouse buttons.

Even if you had only a basic three button mouse, there still wouldn't be too many keys to map out comfortably.

Fret

So you literally don't comprehend the idea that adjustable FOV and FOV itself could be distinct concepts? Why continue specifically clarifying something when making your point? You think the average person would read

"FOV is a HUGE issue for playing on PC. I don't care if a game is free or $100, it must have an fov slider to be actually playable."

and "FOV is a HUGE issue for playing on PC." as completely identical statements?

uh... yes lol?

why are you trying to deconstruct my sentences? everyone else knows what I meant. it wasn't hard to comprehend. who cares?

have you ever even played a first person shooter with a mouse and keyboard?
lmao
this guy is asking how you're gonna pull off complex moves in Halo using controls that dudes play Quake and Unreal with
lmao

It's going to be a dead community. Just like the original Gears. PC gamers don't like console games. It's evident from just judging past titles.

Jawmuncher

I still don't get why they didn't just leave the download up. What is the difference between today and tomorrow? Aside from I guess there not being an ad on the MS store for it saying DOWNLOAD NOW.

JDB

Banned
Made some comparison screenshots between Xbox and PC at 1080p/Max settings:

Coliseum:
lDIceO.png

9HmyVM.png

Molten:
angRdu.png

v89xbr.png

Overgrowth:
UxEAyG.png

8xoI6Y.png

Stasis:
JD0aXz.png

XYNNb7.png

Truth:
4kdbpC.png

WtYt9P.png

For some reason the coordinates of the cameras were messed up and didn't align across platforms for most of them. Shouldn't matter too much, though. I suggest viewing in full size to get a good comparison. dem crushed blacks doe

OldRoutes

I still don't get why they didn't just leave the download up. What is the difference between today and tomorrow? Aside from I guess there not being an ad on the MS store for it saying DOWNLOAD NOW.

Microsoft's a public company and 'launches' are very important to them I'd guess.

have you ever even played a first person shooter with a mouse and keyboard?
lmao
this guy is asking how you're gonna pull off complex moves in Halo using controls that dudes play Quake and Unreal with
lmao
There's a reason Overwatch is slower-paced on consoles.

I can't tell if you're trying to dispute or support what I said, lol
Agreeing with you. Sorry if it came off as anything but that. Even reading my post before I submitted it, I thought it might come off as confusing.

Madness

BadCompany2FOV.gif

Hi, not FoV defense force. I have long said Halo needs to have a larger FoV. But all of you are forgetting that this isn't an FPS game. It is primarily a map editor tool used to create maps on computer utilizing more accurate mouse and keyboard as well as allowing for better visual fidelity. This is not a full scale release, not an MP game, not even primarily an FPS game. When you are forging you are not looking at your gun (you are when designing line of sight and lengths etc.)

So instead of talking about what a great tool this is for forgers and the fact it allows 16 player custom matches for free especially with am upcoming custom browser, it is negativity about how there isn't this one thing and how it is the end of the world. It happens in every thread. A million good things become irrelevant when the one thing isn't there. If there is enough demand they may patch in a FoV slider, if not they won't. I think those who say it is literally unplayable or gives them headaches are definitely going to be in the minority.

dLMN8R

Microsoft's a public company and 'launches' are very important to them I'd guess.

As someone who works on game launches similar to this one, there's far more to coordinate than simply making sure a download button is enabled.

-You need to make sure customer support is ready
-You need to make sure the right package is published, fully tested, and ready (maybe the version accidentally put up yesterday will be the final version, but what if testing hadn't completed yet?)
-You need to make sure that all teams involved in the launch are on call and ready to respond to any issues (the game developers, the store team, and any other cog in the machine which may need to investigate things)

If none of that was ready to go when something is inadvertently published to the store, then there's a good chance of things going very wrong. And if it happens in the middle of the night for most people working in Redmond, then it could be many hours before people are ready to help.

Specific release dates and times exist for a reason. Coordinated PR is just a small part of it.

JDB

Banned
Is there no separate look inversion for mouse and controller? Because that's a pretty big oversight if so.

About 12 hours late, but I was looking up info on Halo 5 PC's FOV settings (or lack of) and noticed someone brought up the Forge FOV filter. Presumably the reason Halo 5's Increased FOV forge filter breaks ADS is because those settings are manipulative and not additive, where "scope in with Storm Rifle" would be "[Current FOV] - [Storm Rifle ADS FOV penalty]", rather than the actual setup where "scope in with Storm Rifle" is "set FOV to FOV x". iirc the settings actually still work with the low FOV filter, so it's possible the ADS functionality is additive / subtractive up to a certain point, but going above a certain amount (over 100? talking out of my ass here) breaks it, or the increased FOV filter manually disables FOV fuckery related to ADS to avoid any major performance hitches (which would be more noticeable using a large FOV compared to using an even smaller one with the decreased FOV forge filter).

Nowise10

Anyone using University/Dorm internet get this to work yet? Anytime for the past day, if I try and load a map in Forge or Custom games, I receive a error message saying "Attention: Error retrieving data center connection quality information. Please try again later.". None of my friends I know have encountered this, and I'm the only one in a dorm.

Top Bottom