• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 5 Guardians: #huntthetruth

Bungie really didn't know how to tell a story, that's why everyone that played the games assumed that Halo's lore was really limited and not that big. Honestly if all you did was play Halo 1 to Halo 3 you have a very limited look into the actual Halo universe.

You barely know anything about John's origin let alone about ONI and the UNSC.

It's not really because Bungie were bad, but because it's told from a first-person perspective of right there and then, which I think is a deliberate design choice and I'm a fan of it personally. You're never going to know everything about something/one on a first encounter, which is why the player taking control of The Arbiter in H2 was a big thing for me, as it meant that I'd finally get to see things from perspective of The Covenant.

Every cutscene/event only takes place when MC or Arbiter are there, for anyone to delve into the lore of the universe, they'd need to do Final Fantasy style cutscenes.
I'm a big fan SP H4, but 343 handled Halo 4's Didact and Librarian reveals badly and having the terminal vids off-disc was a big mistake.

jem0208

The better bits of the Halo lore were always going to be in the books. Some people swear by them, I don't.

I know this is not a popular opinion, but the storylines in Halo games have always been ridiculously bad and/or non-existent.

Whilst I'm not going to bother arguing about quality because that's extremely subective, to claim the story is non-existant is rubbish.

I really hope Halo 5 comes with some serious cutscenes to get everyone up to speed, including (and this is important) those who's only played the game. 4 failed miserably in this area.

And I'd love the next Halo game to be set in-between 3 and 4, as there's some stuff that needs explaining, as well as some cool potential for an ODST-esque game.

Is HuntTheTruth available on the Halo Channel for Xbox? If not, it sure should be.

malfcn

YJUx0U6.jpg

Even says "Fake's Forge" on the picture.

Still looks cool though.
Interested to know what is obviously the LE and CE though.
Think they will reveal at E3, or later?

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Still looks cool though.
Interested to know what is obviously the LE and CE though.
Think they will reveal at E3, or later?

This would be an okay box for $150, but for $250, I'm expecting a lot more than this.

Also, I'd prefer an uncloaked Chief (again, especially at the retail price point). Having a cloak on the figure only removes a lot of otherwise necessary detail, which cheapens the product. Throwing the OST in the mix is obviously nice, but again just a drop in the bucket of what I'm expecting.

Either the statue included in the box is huge/incredibly detailed, or there had better be some other highly detailed/rare swag included (signed documentation, Halsey's journal's missing page, etc.)

I personally thoroughly enjoy in-universe content (Halsey's journal, Spartan records, etc.) to random concept arts of things we have/will see.

You can see the amount of plays each one has here (number next to the play button):
https://soundcloud.com/huntthetruth

Obviously doesn't account for those listening through the podcast feed, but still pretty impressive numbers.

Cool thanks. Indeed impressive numbers.

Edit: after some thoughts, a little over 100K doesn't seem that much since the games are sold in millions of copies. Does this mean only around 100K fans follow the Halo lore? If so, that's way less than Star Trek and Star Wars even though (as someone else pointed out) the lore in Halo is as good as the two others...

I really hope Halo 5 comes with some serious cutscenes to get everyone up to speed, including (and this is important) those who's only played the game. 4 failed miserably in this area.

And I'd love the next Halo game to be set in-between 3 and 4, as there's some stuff that needs explaining, as well as some cool potential for an ODST-esque game.

Is HuntTheTruth available on the Halo Channel for Xbox? If not, it sure should be.

I could see an ODST-esqeue game working between Halo 3 and Halo 4, but the books are delving into a lot of that time. Could be fun to have a game revolving around Blue Team (minus Chief) from 2553-2557.

#HUNTtheTRUTH is available on the Halo Channel on Xbox and Windows 8 I believe. I know I listened to it once on my Xbox One. The soundcloud numbers are not huge, but as someone else mentioned, it doesn't include iTunes or other streaming I don't believe.

As of May 17th, they had 2.15 million listens across iTunes & Soundcloud, so while it's not HUGE it's still decently big for a tangential product months before release.

Edit: after some thoughts, a little over 100K doesn't seem that much since the games are sold in millions of copies. Does this mean only around 100K fans follow the Halo lore? If so, that's way less than Star Trek and Star Wars even though (as someone else pointed out) the lore in Halo is as good as the two others...
I only listen to it on the iTunes podcast feed, and I imagine I'm not alone. Those numbers are just one chunk of the listener base.

if you want numbers...

In just 11 days, “Halo 5: Guardians” became one of the most discussed advertising campaigns in March (Source: Sysomos English mentions). Additionally:
•Total listens have hit 2.15 million across iTunes and Soundcloud – and counting!
•The three separate announce trailers for “Halo 5: Guardians” have been viewed more than 217 million times total on television and online.
•More than 250,000 fans have visited websites for the “Halo 5: Guardians” ARG.
•To-date “Halo 5: Guardians” has been referenced nearly 960,000 times across social media since the start of the campaign.

More at http://news.xbox.com/2015/05/games-hunt-the-truth-podcast-episode-8 - Posted May 17, 2015 at 2:00 PM.

The focused approach means that we are building a core set of game types and polishing them to be great. We also have the most substantial post-launch support plans of any Halo title, which I will be talking about in more detail at E3 and beyond. We will continue to evolve the experience post-launch, delivering new content and experiences. I'm very passionate about supporting the game and using input from the community to help guide changes that we make. I see the HCFP being an important input into this process.

Err posted in here cause its halo related and tied to e3. More at...
http://www.gamepur.com/news/19017-3...tails-about-halo-5-guardians-multiplayer.html

Somnia

So I just got done listening to the newest episode, I've been crazy busy at work.

This web series is really something. Frankie you guys have me more hyped for a Halo than I have been since Halo 2 and that's saying something. I have the utmost faith in you guys to pull this off and love the world building you are doing.

Whoever is behind this web series needs to do more with you guys at 343. I know this is probably expensive, but this needs to happen more often to help build this universe. The writing and acting is top notch.

Oh and #TeamLocke

So I just got done listening to the newest episode, I've been crazy busy at work.

This web series is really something. Frankie you guys have me more hyped for a Halo than I have been since Halo 2 and that's saying something. I have the utmost faith in you guys to pull this off and love the world building you are doing.

Whoever is behind this web series needs to do more with you guys at 343. I know this is probably expensive, but this needs to happen more often to help build this universe. The writing and acting is top notch.

Oh and #TeamLocke

Was with you right up until the end. SMH.

They're also up on the Halo Channel, so that's gotta be at least a few more listeners. :p

Halo Channel only had me involved when i was playing the Halo 5 beta. The weekly updates on what was coming next and etc had me intrigued. But the fluiditiy and navigation felt clunky and undesirable to go back to it. I hope they fix that app... it's like a blu-ray top menu.

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Halo Channel only had me involved when i was playing the Halo 5 beta. The weekly updates on what was coming next and etc had me intrigued. But the fluiditiy and navigation felt clunky and undesirable to go back to it. I hope they fix that app... it's like a blu-ray top menu.

I've loved the concept of the Halo Channel since we first heard about it. I've hated the implementation of it ever since we had our first glance at it.

• Having a Universe encyclopedia at our fingertips on-console and just a click away in-game is an awesome idea.
  • Having all audio/video content in one place on-console is an awesome idea
Where they really failed with the Halo Channel is in three areas for me:
  1. Discoverability; navigating and finding what you want in the app is a huge chore that discourages app usage. Once you finally find what you're wanting to enjoy, then you have another problem...
  2. Reliability; the app is extremely sluggish (it'd probably be more expedient and reliable to open the YouTube console app and search for the video there, which is saying something).
  3. Use-case; in my opinion, much of the benefits of the Halo Channel would be better implemented to be accessed by snapping the app (assuming that snapped apps themselves aren't a buggy and sluggish feature). Jumping back and forth between the Halo Channel and the MCC is time-consuming and unwarranted, especially when it takes as long as it does.

Yeah, the Halo Channel leaves a lot to be desired.

I still get confused when navigating around. Probably because I'm kind of dumb, but I like to think part of that is the poor design.

I used the Windows 8 version a couple of times on my Surface and it seemed a little better than the XB1, but still not perfect.

I doubt we'll get a full redesign by Halo 5, but hopefully they give it some TLC so it operates better.

As far as #HUNTtheTRUTH goes.. I really REALLY want to know who the production team was, I don't think it was done in-house at 343i, but I don't really know. Whoever is responsible needs a gaggle of awards showered on them though!

CRIMSONxSERAPH

Neo Member
Nope. The game will be told from the perspective of actors who are finding stuff out in real time.

Oh Stinkles, the teases you bring! At E3, will we get to see some of how HtT/HtS will actually tie into the game through demo/video, or will that be left for the game's release?

Nope. The game will be told from the perspective of actors who are finding stuff out in real time.

I see.

Will we find out what happen to Parangosky? She didn't seem like the type of person to just willingly step down from power, even if it was her protege stepping in.

I've loved the concept of the Halo Channel since we first heard about it. I've hated the implementation of it ever since we had our first glance at it.

• Having a Universe encyclopedia at our fingertips on-console and just a click away in-game is an awesome idea.
  • Having all audio/video content in one place on-console is an awesome idea
Where they really failed with the Halo Channel is in three areas for me:
  1. Discoverability; navigating and finding what you want in the app is a huge chore that discourages app usage. Once you finally find what you're wanting to enjoy, then you have another problem...
  2. Reliability; the app is extremely sluggish (it'd probably be more expedient and reliable to open the YouTube console app and search for the video there, which is saying something).
  3. Use-case; in my opinion, much of the benefits of the Halo Channel would be better implemented to be accessed by snapping the app (assuming that snapped apps themselves aren't a buggy and sluggish feature). Jumping back and forth between the Halo Channel and the MCC is time-consuming and unwarranted, especially when it takes as long as it does.

Hit the nail on the head with that. I totally agree.

I could see an ODST-esqeue game working between Halo 3 and Halo 4, but the books are delving into a lot of that time. Could be fun to have a game revolving around Blue Team (minus Chief) from 2553-2557.

#HUNTtheTRUTH is available on the Halo Channel on Xbox and Windows 8 I believe. I know I listened to it once on my Xbox One. The soundcloud numbers are not huge, but as someone else mentioned, it doesn't include iTunes or other streaming I don't believe.

As of May 17th, they had 2.15 million listens across iTunes & Soundcloud, so while it's not HUGE it's still decently big for a tangential product months before release.

A lot of people are using YouTube as well, me included since it keeps track of what I've listened to across devices and works well on both PC and mobile.

And the reason I want a game between 3 and 4 is exactly because the books handle it, but those who just play the games are left out. For a videogame series, that's silly.

A lot of people are using YouTube as well, me included since it keeps track of what I've listened to across devices and works well on both PC and mobile.

And the reason I want a game between 3 and 4 is exactly because the books handle it, but those who just play the games are left out. For a videogame series, that's silly.

Yeah, I guess we'll see what shows up in Halo 5, but really, other than the formation of Jul 'Mdama's Covenant sect I don't know what info a game would contain that would make sense lore wise.

As said previously, maybe a Blue Team game showing them dealing with various issues around the galaxy, but I don't see that leading into Halo 4 very much. I guess they could go into more Infinity stuff.. but then you'd likely really just be retreading the comics.

I have to imagine if they're investing the time and effort into making novels during this time frame (Halo: Broken Circle, Halo: New Blood, Halo: Hunters in the Dark, Halo: Last Light, and maybe others), that there should be some game payoff, but how and when is yet to be determined.

As a lore fan, I love that I can get written material much faster than another game, having to wait years between released info would get old very fast. That being said, at what point should you 'require' your game playing fans to be invested in the extended universe? I don't know the answer. Should you expect them to have seen commercials? Trailer? Read the game manual? Haha. I guess at this point, should you expect they've even played the previous games? There are teenagers who are younger than Halo: CE.

What did other series, this deep in consecutive sequels, do? Could they (and should they) reference something that happened in Halo Wars? Spartan Assault/Strike? Those are games, but I am sure there are people who only played through the main-line Halo games.

Top Bottom