• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

There's some really trollish stuff in here. Guess the mod warning on that stuff will be put to the test? That said, I'm so excited by what I'm seeing in this trailer that I don't even care lol.

The craig scene from last year was shown. Big improvement to texture, lighting and particles. It's at around 5:04. As night falls you see an incredible skybox with stars visible.

hfyHZfy.png

The whole scene just looks so much better as the night time is falling compared to what it looked like last year.

There are parts of Zeta Halo where while fighting you can literally see into outer space in some location where the hex walls seem particularly plentiful, that's at 4:55.

Brutes using UNSC weapons. Incredible scene at 2:11. You can see captured marines restrained using some kind of energy device at 3:00 right before the Chief snipes it.

VsKAHvs.png

They're now freed.

jjELA5a.png

The way the mini-boss just takes off, looks so badass lol.

B8ATK1f.png
HDzjWSX.png

Lots of small details in this trailer to appreciate. Brutes also appear to assume a blocking stance to weaken the strength of your melees and other attacks now based on what I see. Wonder if there are things you can do to prevent them from blocking.

DFeuf1u.png

People are forgetting this is a cross gen game.

They are also forgetting that it will be getting Ray tracing in Spring of next year and more as time passes and eventually the original Xbox one version will be completely ruled out, because all the visual updates will only be possible on the Series X.

Kind of sucks so many always think of short term gain instead of the big wider picture in the long term. Oh well.

FingerBang

• Not a fan of the art style, but it looks pretty good
  • Gameplay seems cool. The new stuff is more than a gimmick and that makes me happy
  • Not digging the tone of Cortana's voice. Seems really out of place for some reason
  • When the mini-boss comes up it suddenly becomes Destiny lol
Good job, overall. Will definitely play it!

Cacadookie

Neo Member
My hope is that the PC version gets extra visual scaling and that being sponsored by AMD doesn't block other RT effects and DLSS/DLAA.

I have hope that this game could look insanely better in a year or two.

Denton

It looks like a decently fun game with very lastgen lighting, which makes sense given that it is coming to xbone. I wish PC version had RT lighting at launch, could do immense difference.

dottme

I’m not sure how I feel about the trailer. For sure it gives a much better impression than the initial presentation.
but on the other side, I‘m worried they might have cherry picked the best part to make it looks better. Kind of what every modern trailer is doing.
so it gives a much better impression but it was not as risky and more representative than the initial presentation.

Kssio_Aug

It definitely looks lots of fun!

About the graphics though, being very fair, I always thought it looked great... and I am under the impression that other than some re-texture work in which they added dirty and wear all over armors and weapons, it doesn't look that huge of an improvement compared to what was shown before. In fact, I have seen some comparisons shots which I actually liked the previous version more.

Overall, it seems more appealing though.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Really curious how A.I. will be on higher difficulty. That's probably the only thing I'm unsure about until I get to play. It could add to how you approach missions.

I’m not sure how I feel about the trailer. For sure it gives a much better impression than the initial presentation.
but on the other side, I‘m worried they might have cherry picked the best part to make it looks better. Kind of what every modern trailer is doing.
so it gives a much better impression but it was not as risky and more representative than the initial presentation.
I think it's probably a better way to present what you can do in a sandbox/semi-open world game by showing the core mechanics than a straight demo. Now we might see one at the Xbox event since I think the game went gold by now.

mortal

This looks substantially better than the first showing.

That being said, it's not perfect. Some elements lack a bit of weight and impact imo, like ballistics and explosions.
I do really like what I'm seeing as far as that core sandbox experience on an open map. Would consider that to be fundamental to Halo.

elliot5

This looks substantially better than the first showing.

That being said, it's not perfect. Some elements lack a bit of weight and impact imo, like ballistics and explosions.
I do really like what I'm seeing as far as that core sandbox experience on an open map. Would consider that to be fundamental to Halo.
Explosion particles are kinda meh, but what's missing from this video is the sound design.

Rocket launchers and the Spiker thing from the Banished sound so fuckin' good. Same with exploding vehicles.

I don't know what it is, but I'm loving this new Cortana.

Game looks amazing. I still get chills when I hear that Halo theme. Been too long Chief!

ArcaneNLSC

Some quick observations from 1 watch of the video on youtube in 4K

The brutes skin textures are still drier than Ben Shapiros wife's pussy
ben-shapiro-facts.gif

Skin needs subsurface scattering to soften the bloom effects and give a more natural look

Still no real impact to the environment with destruction or damage with explosions or bullet holes/laser burns/marks

Environments are more lively dynamic and denser in games like Kena and Horizon Forbidden West

Still low LOD and masked by fog

Particle effects and bloom for glowing lasers and lights still needs work

The silo explosions animations were the same for all 3 explosions not dynamic and not based on the point of impact from the projectile that caused the explosion

Ships still fly like they are on an invisible monorail system

Minor lighting improvements

Some minor improvements mainly to Chief's Armour

Boss brute looks mildly less waxy/plastic especially in the teeth and forehead

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Where are people getting Destiny from? It looked more like Far Cry than anything else.

Destiny crossed my mind briefly when I saw that "boss" emerge with a health bar. Maybe one at the end of every scenario or something.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
I think this looks beautiful and an incredible jump from what we saw before. I usually don't really care about Halo games, but this looks fun.

The only thing I didn't care for was the new A.I. voice - She sounded similar to that obnoxious Tik Tok text-to-voice thing so many videos use.

Everything else was great. :)

Last edited:
Some quick observations from 1 watch of the video on youtube in 4K

The brutes skin textures are still drier than Ben Shapiros wife's pussy
ben-shapiro-facts.gif

Skin needs subsurface scattering to soften the bloom effects and give a more natural look

Still no real impact to the environment with destruction or damage with explosions or bullet holes/laser burns/marks

Environments are more lively dynamic and denser in games like Kena and Horizon Forbidden West

Still low LOD and masked by fog

Particle effects and bloom for glowing lasers and lights still needs work

The silo explosions animations were the same for all 3 explosions not dynamic and not based on the point of impact from the projectile that caused the explosion

Ships still fly like they are on an invisible monorail system

Minor lighting improvements

Some minor improvements mainly to Chief's Armour

Boss brute looks mildly less waxy/plastic especially in the teeth and forehead
You actually decided to write this tripe?

GHG

Gold Member
Don't think it looks too hot.

Will stick to the F2P multiplayer at launch on PC and see how I like that.

The change in color palette, improved draw detail and artistic changes all seem to make the 2021 footage way more appealing than 2020. I mean I wasn't expecting Halo Infinite to be a graphics showcase like say Forza or Gears of War games but what we saw in 2020 felt like very early footage and didn't do justice to what the devs were crafting. All the best to everyone at 343 with the launch of Infinite. Happy times await for everyone who owns an Xbox console or PC!

yazenov

Looks a little better than the first showing which got the game delayed, but it still looks underwhelming for the flagship Microsoft's 1st party game. Nothing screems next generation from the video.

Its a shame the game is still disappointing graphically, even with the year delay.

Last edited by a moderator:

TIGERCOOL

hope there are more varied environments than they showed. Maybe some snow/beach areas and big interiors like CE. Looks solid otherwise but probably waiting for coop to dive in.

mortal

Explosion particles are kinda meh, but what's missing from this video is the sound design.

Rocket launchers and the Spiker thing from the Banished sound so fuckin' good. Same with exploding vehicles.
I would agree with you about some of the sound design.

There's just an overall lack of punch and visceral quality to the battles. Considering how much more 343 are leaning into the psychics-based gameplay, more destructible environments would've added a great enhancement to skirmishes and the immersion imo.

Stuart360

Looks a little better than the first showing which got the game delayed, but it still looks underwhelming for the flagship Microsoft's 1st party game. Nothing screems next generation from the video.

Its a shame the game is still disappointing graphically, even with the year delay.
The game looks stunning lol.
Hope the post was worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom