• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

Connxtion

I suspect the pine trees on the ring were a functional choice when the ring was created due to photosynthesis being consistent all year round due to pine trees not losing there leaves (needles) thus speeding up the oxygen production on the ring 🤷‍♂️

People need to remember these ecosystems were created from scratch for a purpose.

I am really curious about how co-op is going to play out in this open world setting.

The new AI sounds like a character out of a Marvel movie.

The marketing and feel of this game doesn’t have the same magic that the first 3 games had but that’s okay this still looks like another fun entry to the series.

Reactions: Isa

Salz01

Sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn’t. I’m sure the game will play good. Just concerned that it’s all just one environment, and thst the story is going to suck with lots of ‘Clear this checkpoint area’, not too much different from Farcry. Speaking of, put side by side Farcry 6 looks a little bit better. Everybody is going to get this for the MP and because it’s Halo.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Not sure if it was legit but a recent leak claimed that the open-world formula they were going for needed a lot of work from a design and mechanic standpoint when Staten came on.

apparently that hadn’t worked out how goals, checkpoints, etc would work with more than one player.

You just tie Check points to player 1 in the co-op. Then every time that player logs in that is where you start with the CO-OP. I think then you have to workout which save file to use, do you make a specific co-op save file in addition to a SP save file.

Ozriel

M$FT
Honestly thats more embarrassing than the original craig meme. Thats just hideous.

Mods are on point today. Glad to see you and your brand of warring gone for good.

Until it's added I'd consider it early access, it was clearly designed around coop

Nobody ever designs a (semi) open world game around co-op. And I’ll bet the vast majority of Halo campaign players don’t play it coop too.
but feel free to hold off on your play through until the update comes.

cragarmi

Gameplay looks as expected. Gameplay loop looks like it's going the Far Cry route, but also looks like it will offer far less variety. The outpost clearing might get old really fast, or it could turn out better than expected.

Lots of improvements visually, but I can't unsee the copy pasta trees all over the place.

Hoping there are some interesting random events/encounters in the world.

Not having co-op at launch when the gameplay loop would be perfect for it is lame.
Don't see why they couldn't integrate speedtree into the engine, identical trees makes no sense when there is tech out there to specifically avoid it!

Kacho

Not sure if it was legit but a recent leak claimed that the open-world formula they were going for needed a lot of work from a design and mechanic standpoint when Staten came on.

apparently that hadn’t worked out how goals, checkpoints, etc would work with more than one player.
Interesting. Kind of bizarre that this issue would linger when you consider the amount of resources they're throwing at the game.

Last edited:

cragarmi

Mods are on point today. Glad to see you and your brand of warring gone for good.

Nobody ever designs a (semi) open world game around co-op. And I’ll bet the vast majority of Halo campaign players don’t play it coop too.
It's more the fact that Coop was an essential ingredient in the early Halo games, I remember playing the campaign of Halo CE at my mates over the holidays, but even the recent FarCry games seem more balanced for Coop. I've yet to find a modern game that is balanced well for both, but il reserve my judgement.

elliot5

a-look-at-halo-infinites-time-of-day-lighting-system.original.jpg

This WIP screenshot from PC back in like.. idk May or some shit doesn't seem like BS. It looks just like that from this footage!

elliot5

What will be minimum and recommended PC specs?
  • MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD FX-8370 or Intel i5-4440
    • Memory: 8 GB RAM
    • Graphics: AMD RX 570 or Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space
  • RECOMMENDED:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or Intel i7-9700k
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Radeon RX 5700 XT or Nvidia RTX 2070
    • DirectX: Version 12
    • Storage: 50 GB available space

Basically, minimum is like an Xbox One - One X ish and recommended is an Xbox Series X lol

LordCBH

Still looks kinda rough to me? Thank fuck it’s on Gamepass. Still bummed there’s no co-op for months after launch

Arun1910

Sometimes this looks good and sometimes it looks bad from a visual perspective.

The character models look nicely detailed but the environments... eh. The grass and floor textures look really blurry for some reason.

Overall though it's still a massive improvement over that shit show they showed last year but it is clearly held back by last gen.

Last edited:
Guys no need to feel the console warrior trolls; they don't have a high enough IQ to comprehend any other functions. I'm amazed they remember to regularly breath air tbh.

Anyway, I liked what I saw. It's a big improvement from the 2020 showing and looks a bit better than the MP as well (that's something I was assuming would be the case though). Is it the best looking game ever, from a visual POV? No. But, thankfully I'm not a graphics whore and there's other parts of a game I appreciate alongside graphics. That said, the visuals still look quite good; textures are crisp and the lighting is better, there are more visual effects on certain actions and animations look like they have more weight behind them compared to the 2020 footage while still looking they feel "gamey" enough to keep the tempo up.

The gameplay I saw looked fun and had enough options in approach for the player; I won't say I'm a hardcore Halo player ('cuz I'm not), but for what I'd like to have in terms of gameplay variety what was shown looked interesting to me. As someone who isn't deep into Halo lore, some parts of the story do seem like they require prior knowledge but what was presented was also spliced up from a larger campaign; I hope the actual game provides enough background (presented in an interesting way) for new players who may not have played some of the prior installments, while also continuing the story in a way hardcore fans will love. That's always tough to pull off but hey that's why they hired Joseph Staten back, right? ;)

Is it me or does it still look flat, lighting etc.

Can you maybe be a bit more specific what you're trying to convey? Some people (both for and against) just seem to be throwing up vague reactions but when you say things like "it's great!" or "lighting is flat" or "still looks rough", there's not a lot to really go off there for further discussion, because you could be referring to literally just about anything.

So...what about it looks flat? Character geometry detail? Textures? What about the textures, is it bump-mapping? Color depth? Texture resolution? Is it lighting? If so what about the lighting specifically? Is it contrast levels? Specular highlights? Shadows? Ambiance? Atmospheric light diffusion?

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but...

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I suspect the pine trees on the ring were a functional choice when the ring was created due to photosynthesis being consistent all year round due to pine trees not losing there leaves (needles) thus speeding up the oxygen production on the ring 🤷‍♂️

People need to remember these ecosystems were created from scratch for a purpose.
I suspect it is because that is what Spedtree does best.

You know what for the sheer size of the game the advanced physics, the different ways you can play every encounter all in open world environments filled with dozens of AI and running at 60fps. I'd say this game on a technical level is far beyond what most games can even dream about and it has no business looking this good, but more importantly seems to play better than it looks, 343 redemption is coming I feel.
I mean the game looks good don’t get me wrong but Far Cry 6 is basically doing all of this already, with co op

Last edited:

Isa

I think it looks really good, not mind blowing but there is more of a focus for gameplay which I appreciate. It is a bummer that co-op isn't day1 but at least its coming eventually. I see some people mention similarity to Far Cry, but I don't see it at all. To me its a different breed of beast, more akin to Destiny "open world" design. Which honestly sounds fitting for a Halo game with way their vehicles work.

The Test Flights were great fun, so I'm really looking forward to messing around in the story mode. And MP of course.

reksveks

I am going to play it, it's my first Halo.

I think it looks good for a 4k60 fps game with its map size. Is it going to be as good as a 4k30 game with a more limited world size? No.

I also don't think the art style has aged well sadly.

I don't find it impressive either, especially with a year's delay, I'm just giving him a tip on how it works here

If you dare to criticize xbox even if you're right, it's a direct ban

non-negotiable
What alternate universe have you been living in :pie_roffles: ?

I've been pretty critical of Xbox the past few days, but I'm not banned. Maybe there's a difference between constructive criticism and obvious console wars/fanboy troll bait and people can distinguish between them?

Same pertains to PlayStation and Nintendo criticism too; keep it valid and constructive and no foul. But we can't pretend there's a sea of people with valid criticisms just getting yeeted for no justified reason.

Last edited:

Arun1910

I don't find it impressive either, especially with a year's delay, I'm just giving him a tip on how it works here

non-negotiable
Tbf like i mentioned in another comment, there are notable differences in Character textures and shaders as well as guns so credit where credit is due

The drawback is the open world still looks very meh for a next gen title, no doubt being held back by its last gen development and probably would be too much of an overhaul in that short year.

The fact the trailer showcases shadow pop in in and muddy floor textures/grass is a bit weird.

That said, graphics don't make a game on their own. Just hope the story is good

Everything but that new AI looks good to me. Wonder how the fights will look on legendary since that looked super easy.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned

Why are you defending a game releasing without series staple features after it had a year delay? Drive club did not get a pass for launching with out weather and most of its online features after a year delay, halo should not get a free pass.

i think the game looks great, the beta was awesome, but as a long time fan im Dissapointed to see its launching incomplete

Last edited:
Hmm, didn't really feel it to be honest. We'll see how it goes and might pick it up down the line. Till then, I'll stick with Halo 1-3 campaigns.

Iced Arcade

non-negotiable

be careful what you say, the green brand fanboys will report you to the moderation

You know there is other places to take your soap box and shout about your foolishness.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Haven't played a game since the huge one that released on XBX360 but this looks pretty good. Be interesting to see more about the actual world itself to see if it does anything with it. Sounds like a guerilla fight about The Fallen which is an interesting (if well worn) premise.

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
be careful what you say, the green brand fanboys will report you to the moderation

non-negotiable
Move on from this pettiness. We are equal opportunity platform war banners.

Read the sticky and dial back the antagonism bait or persecution complexes.

Thank you.

hlm666

Well that was pleasantly surprising, figured their upgrade talk would be all hot air but the crazy bastards actually did it. Didn't expect to be wanting to play this and now I might pre load that as soon as I can. This has some potential for a really fun coop survival mode in the open world map when coop turns up fingers crossed.

Top Bottom