• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

FireFly

Halo 3 also had 343 as a boss, but I kinda enjoyed that.

And to preface it, obviously this is a very subjective discussion.
And yes, you don't have 100% safe spaces, but a boss is also designed in a way that you can actually take a breather every now and then. No boss is constantly hammering down on you, all have moments where you can switch from defense to offense.
True. I feel like it comes down to boss design. If every time the brute runs at you with low health you can melee him dead, there isn't any tension. But if there is only a brief window to execute the melee then there is tension because if you mess it up could mean starting the fight again. In general I don't think it should be easy to defeat brutes in melee range. But I can see where you are coming from, because the whole fun of fighting hunters for example, is not knowing when they are about to drop dead, and killing them just before you are about to get wrecked or run out of ammo.

MOTM

Banned
Well, I was hoping for an epic shooter like the ones that were part of the first trilogy, you know? Not this "trend-seeker" open world-esque gameplay and trashy lines.

This is not Halo to me. This is the third game from a studio that clearly doesn't know what to do with the franchise. People like it? Good for them. Me? I really dislike it.

Not only that but the voice over was cringe as hell. Sue me.
To each his own I guess.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
EHBha4t.jpg

uJ5aT38.jpg

NUPNIqq.jpg

0L4lIF2.png

sWG8pMt.jpg

40zViMh.jpg

RO9U4RR.png

Sq7dtJI.jpg

nemiroff

Gold Member
And I'm totally ok with it. If people like it, more power to them. To me, this looks bad. I was expecting a return to form, not whatever this is.

Huh, it's sometimes remarkable how completely different opinions can be. I've been a huge critic of 343 (their work has been a disaster and have given nothing of value to core Halo campaign fans) and their Halos (and fuck Stinkles btw). But this is clearly a return to form for me. Halo hasn't been more Halo than this in a long time, so I'm finally happy and excited again after all these years.

Last edited:
I think only the VGAs have that bizarre cutoff. The rest of the industry doesnt.

I go by GOTY tracker which keeps track of all media and fan awards, and it included Cyberpunk which ended up winning several GOTYs. Finished 4th but VGAs are counted as just one GOTY award.

Award Totals

• The Last of Us Part II- 310
    • Media Outlets: 202 | Readers' Choice: 108
  • Ghost of Tsushima - 69
    • Media Outlets: 57 | Readers' Choice: 12
  • Hades - 65
    • Media Outlets: 61 | Readers' Choice: 4
  • Cyberpunk 2077 - 35
    • Media Outlets: 11 | Readers' Choice: 24
  • Final Fantasy VII Remake - 29
    • Media Outlets: 27 | Readers' Choice: 2
Well the VGA’s is in early December so I don’t think it’s bizarre at all for them to have a cutoff like that imo.

VGA’s is also the biggest event in gaming right now so I think ita worth in awards is weighted higher than everything but that’s less relevant to discuss ITT

Will be interested to see where the cards fall for suuuure

Huh, it's sometimes remarkable how completely different opinions can be. I've been a huge critic of 343 (their work has been a disaster and have given nothing of value to core Halo campaign fans) and their Halos (and fuck Stinkles btw). But this is clearly a return to form for me. Halo hasn't been more Halo than this in a long time, so I'm finally happy and excited again after all these years.
Man, I'm happy that people are able to enjoy it. If this is what people want then I just accept that this franchise is not for me anymore.

And that's fine. Even my brothers didn't like what they saw. And they're also long time Halo fans.

EDIT. I will wait for more videos and my brothers certainly will play it so they'll tell me (I don't have an Xbox)

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Let's be real here and what we should expect from one of Microsoft's premiere IP, it's barely passable and looks ok.

Cross gen or not I'm not going to give the devs grief over that but the visuals are passable and not impressive.

I would expect this to run at 4k120 with little issues. Especially if DLSS is present.

It's on Gamepass so I'm definitely going to play but the real game to look out for is Forza Horizon.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No need to buy Far Cry at all this year, even on a sale, this does all that and looks to do it slightly better.

I'm excited, glad that it's on Gamepass.

If anyone doesn't want to get it on Gamepass it looks at least as good as any years Far Cry but at least with more interesting twists on the typical missions.

Face Palm GIF by Captain Obvious

I just got far cry 6 over the weekend…

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

Riky

$MSFT

Exactly, this seems more in the image of the original game than any of the sequels, you get that exploration vibe you got in the original but with expanded options for different gameplay opportunities. Approaching situations with different tactics is going to give a lot of replay value.

FireFly

Gotta be honest, it looks like they straight up tried to do an amateur version of Far Cry with a Halo theme, this shit looks straight trash. I'm guessing this is console footage too because especially at the beginning you could count the pixels the DRS was so bad. They should not have attempted to put this on XB1 at all it's obviously hamstrung by it. Then again, does this studio even have the direction required to make a good game? Seems like they can't, even with all the resources MS poured into them.

No idea what they did with half a billion $ and thousands of overworked devs but this is some really weak shit. I guess it doesn't matter when you don't have to actually sell it - thanks Gamepass! 🤦‍♂️

RIP in Pepperonis Halo
Halo mixed with Far Cry sounds pretty good to me.

MiguelItUp

I think it looks great. Especially compared to what we saw previously. I personally don't understand how anyone would think it looks "bad", in terms of gameplay, mechanics, and even graphics. I mean, everyone has their opinion, but I know people just love to hate these days too, lol.

I mean, I feel like the gameplay and mechanics alone are a throwback to the earlier Halo titles that meant a lot to do many people. But with more. Stuff you'd expect with a sequel, unlike what we saw with 4 and 5, IMO.

The graphics, while not incredibly mind blowing, definitely work by today's standards. It already looks better than some modern titles. I feel there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I was never a huge Halo fan, but I did enjoy some of the games quite a bit with pals. I look forward to doing that here. I think the only concern I may have is the whole open world aspect. I mean, we've done it so many times now. Sure, not in a Halo game, but it can only feel so different. I'm hoping that the vibe hits differently. But I guess we'll see.

Aside from that, I still think it's sad that this isn't launching with co-op. Which has been a Halo staple since its birth.

I think Infinite will do fine. I have a feeling I'll be spending more time in multiplayer than the campaign, but I'll definitely give it a whirl.

Flintty

I was watching on a 1080 screen before. Just watched on the 4K TV in the other room and yeah, it's fucking great. It was never gonna be a realistic looking game, but it looks like Halo, has all the particle effects and the open world looks amazing. Gonna have to sort a 4K TV out for the man cave before launch.

And then you realise some of Halos best moments are scripted.

Silent cartographer beach landing
The Flood introduction
Warthog run

Orbital MAC external combat
Halo 2 scarab chase
Gas giant lab cable cutting
Underwater transporters
Gondala fights

Bugger intro in Halo 3
The entire ARK installation on earth
etc
etc etc

Yeah. And they were made all the more impactful cause they were surrounded by actually fun sandbox type gameplay.

If your entire game is scripted, such moments loose significance.

MaulerX

Gotta be honest, it looks like they straight up tried to do an amateur version of Far Cry with a Halo theme, this shit looks straight trash. I'm guessing this is console footage too because especially at the beginning you could count the pixels the DRS was so bad. They should not have attempted to put this on XB1 at all it's obviously hamstrung by it. Then again, does this studio even have the direction required to make a good game? Seems like they can't, even with all the resources MS poured into them.

No idea what they did with half a billion $ and thousands of overworked devs but this is some really weak shit. I guess it doesn't matter when you don't have to actually sell it - thanks Gamepass! 🤦‍♂️

RIP in Pepperonis Halo

wtf7.gif

On topic:

M5RaMVE.png

6MmCfTj.png

Kacho

Let's be real here and what we should expect from one of Microsoft's premiere IP, it's barely passable and looks ok.

Cross gen or not I'm not going to give the devs grief over that but the visuals are passable and not impressive.

I would expect this to run at 4k120 with little issues. Especially if DLSS is present.

It's on Gamepass so I'm definitely going to play but the real game to look out for is Forza Horizon.
Quoted for truth. We should expect a lot more from Microsoft’s flagship IP. Being cross gen isn’t an excuse either when FH5 is out there blowing everyone’s socks off. There needs to be a big shakeup for the next Halo game.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looked last gen, maybe a slight improvement over the first reveal.

Also why was it so short and clearly scripted? 343 are hiding something rotten. I predict a low Metacritic Score and it will futher drive the rhetoric that 'Gamepass only has trash games on it's service' BS.

Sorry but I don't get the hype. Hopefully the gameplay will actually be decent, right now it just looks like it's borrowed it's mechanics from other more modern games. Sigh.

If you play Halo, and enjoy the loop. You will be able to see how this looks like sand box heaven. No game is doing this in a campaign!

NahaNago

Looks as good as the original trailer now, unbelievable progress in a year.
I'm going to have to disagree on that one. The original trailer had a world that felt alive. What we have right now looks like half destiny and half halo with a very basic artificial looking environment. It Is better than what we got last year but not as good as the fake trailer they had made to hype folks up for halo.

The more I look at this trailers the worst the game seems to look to me. I probably will watch the trailer 2 more times. The world is very gamey looking, the wildlife is a joke, the one tree type, the lack of planning in the buildings location, and the enemy location or battles designed looks archaic.

I did notice in the trailer that it seems he lost 2 men in that rescue attempt since it was orginally 4 captured but only 2 jumped onto the vehicle.

The biggest problem I'm having with this game is that I keep comparing it to games already out and it seems to look worst when it comes to the open-ish world design. You have the recent far cry, the complex looking ratchet and clank world, and the natural environments of first party playstation games. What exactly does it do that impresses.

You have to remember that this is a game. And it's running at a beautiful 60fps. The in game cut scenes match anything that's out there. I think 343i's graphics team did a great job.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Most people concerned about textures & lighting, but my main concern and hope is that the a.i. is up to classic Halo standards, because the level design looks amazing. Textures be damned, if I'm going to be carving through these forests in a warthog, with two banshees blasting at me between the trees.

Top Bottom