• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

jigglet

Banned
Historically are campaign cut scenes in Halo skippable? I'm mainly a PvP guy but I love single player co-op games and only play them if I don't have to follow the story. I'm just not interested in narrative stuff in my games. I love Infinite's PvP so much I almost feel bad not being able to give them money, cause I feel the devs should be rewarded. I'll probably pick up the campaign if only for the skins, I assume it'll have skins you can unlock that are exclusive to the campaign.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Video is 6:21 long
Should be Staten going over demo footage + a story trailer. I think.

Hmm, hopefully his influence that late in the game can get the series back on track. Was thinking of hopping into the MCC on PC at some point but I really like good storytelling. Think I'll wait for reviews on this and if they're good, download all the games
At the very least, do get MCC whether on GamePass or when it's on sale and play through 1-4 + Reach. You won't miss out since the original trilogy has an ending and they aren't long games. Even Infinite is Day 1 GP so could save yourself some money there.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Give It To Me Need GIF

jigglet

Banned
You won't miss out since the original trilogy has an ending and they aren't long games. Even Infinite is Day 1 GP so could save yourself some money there.

I always loved how EA did it when they released Mass Effect 2 on PS3. They did some sort of comic book "here's what you missed" catchup. A really fast abridged version of the story. I wish all games did this. I'm not too into the story in most games but if I could get a cliff notes within a few mins I'd give them a chance.

YukiOnna

I always loved how EA did it when they released Mass Effect 2 on PS3. They did some sort of comic book "here's what you missed" catchup. A really fast abridged version of the story. I wish all games did this. I'm not too into the story in most games but if I could get a cliff notes within a few mins I'd give them a chance.
Hopefully Infinite comes with a recap or they double down that it's sort of a soft reboot where people can jump in. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, I think Halo's a solid campaign to play through with a memorable cast. There are some fun missions to go through, especially in 2 & 3 or just check out those retrospectives that go over the games if MS won't bother doing it.

MCC marathon w/ coop partner is always a good way to pass the time!

jigglet

Banned
Hopefully Infinite comes with a recap or they double down that it's sort of a soft reboot where people can jump in. If you enjoy Sci-Fi, I think Halo's a solid campaign to play through with a memorable cast. There are some fun missions to go through, especially in 2 & 3 or just check out those retrospectives that go over the games if MS won't bother doing it.

MCC marathon w/ coop partner is always a good way to pass the time!

Yeah I really should play the originals. I think I've just been spoiled by playing so much PvP that PvE AI is just so bad to me now. The AI in the Infinite beta is probably the best I have ever seen, which is what has piqued my interested for the campaign.

I haven't spent that many hours playing against AI since Perfect Dark, which says something.

Last edited:

elliot5

Yeah I really should play the originals. I think I've just been spoiled by playing so much PvP that PvE AI is just so bad to me now. The AI in the Infinite beta is probably the best I have ever seen, which is what has piqued my interested for the campaign.

I haven't spent that many hours playing against AI since Perfect Dark, which says something.
The AI in Halo is pretty decent, except for maybe 4. I'd recommend playing through them. They're not terribly long and with the MCC updates the campaigns have never been better.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
4 had one of the better campaigns in the series.
After Reach, Halo 4 is my favorite Halo campaign. Anyway, on one hand I'm dying to see campaign footage and gameplay but on the other I want to know as little as possible about the story and go in blind. I feel like the story trailer with the new AI already gave away too much info.

I would like to stay in the dark and not watch this but I doubt I'll have enough willpower.

Artistic

After Reach, Halo 4 is my favorite Halo campaign. Anyway, on one hand I'm dying to see campaign footage and gameplay but on the other I want to know as little as possible about the story and go in blind. I feel like the story trailer with the new AI already gave away too much info.

I would like to stay in the dark and not watch this but I doubt I'll have enough willpower.
I'm not watching. Those that have been clamoring this can have at it and enjoy(or not).

clarky

Gold Member
Smart move to announce this on a Sunday evening to get ahead of the negative, speculatory media outlets and youtubers.
Get ahead how? Surely you watch it and it blows your socks off, or it doesn't. I don't follow. You can't make negative articles and videos about something you've not seen?

Last edited:

avin

... on one hand I'm dying to see campaign footage and gameplay but on the other I want to know as little as possible about the story and go in blind.

I'm with you, CatLady.

There was never much hope. Just a fool's hope. And I'm a fool. Glad to see I may not be the only one.

avin

Slightly off topic, but "Craig" is a brilliant text book example of "don't look here, look over there!" deflection that even China would be proud of.

MS could see Halo being ripped to shreds about it, so they coined the name "Craig" to redirect all the memes away from "Halo". It was so obvious to me what they were doing.

It worked so well that I read an article recently from a huge publication, it was one of the big sites (can't remember the name) which said Craig was a name coined by the community. Ha. I remember reading this thinking: you fuckers are so easily manipulated. No wonder the politicians run circles all over you.

Anyway I can't wait for this game! I've never played a Halo campaign but played the shit out of the multiplayer modes. I might give this campaign a shot once co-op hits.

Q? Is that you?

Get ahead how? Surely you watch it and it blows your socks off, or it doesn't. I don't follow. You can't make negative articles and videos about something you've not seen?
There are articles and videos about most announcements. Or an announcement of an announcement. People love to rush to "create content" for exposure/clicks.

jigglet

Banned
SP graphics are traditionally better than MP

Remembers how the MP test looked

Splat Squirt GIF by chescaleigh

Also it wouldn't surprise me if some effects are intentionally removed from MP.

In any competitive game, players will strip back any visual flair and distractions that might get in the way. I play Siege and most people play on PS2 level settings in order to get an advantage.

Kacho

It's Rockstar drinks now, sheesh.

hiw-cans-desktop.en-CA-11a6628ff864ce3c442b51581342e804.png

The mad lads went for a gold-esque Warthog in-game reward too
Rockstar_Warthog_FR-12694b5ae791f6894ade7ba5c0d45343.png
I’m so out of the loop on these promotions. Who drinks rockstar? 😂

On topic, I really hope they nail this redemption arc. So much riding on tomorrow.

LordOfChaos

4 had one of the better campaigns in the series.

Thank you...4 was an exciting set off of a trilogy, but then they got scared of some of the confusion and did a side plot with Guardians, and seemingly are doing that again now. I hope Infinite is good, but I really want to get into some of the deeper lore 4 and the Forerunner trilogy seemed to be setting off.

We're on the right Halo ring for it this time...

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Thank you...4 was an exciting set off of a trilogy, but then they got scared of some of the confusion and did a side plot with Guardians, and seemingly are doing that again now. I hope Infinite is good, but I really want to get into some of the deeper lore 4 and the Forerunner trilogy seemed to be setting off.

We're on the right Halo ring for it this time...
This one doesn't seem like a side plot, but the antagonist faction and villain has a connection to the primary antagonist of Halo Wars 2. Hopefully with it being set on the ring, they go all out in exploring the lore for the new story arc.

Hawk269

I am going to say that for some, this will be the most scrutinized video of a game in a long time...some are going to watch this frame by frame to find anything that makes it look bad and then post about it a 100x. Looking forward to it myself....the initial reveal looked like a fun game, but lighting and some tech issues made it not look as good as it could...with the year delay I think they will nail it visually...especially looking at the MP stuff which to me looked stunning.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

This one doesn't seem like a side plot, but the antagonist faction and villain has a connection to the primary antagonist of Halo Wars 2. Hopefully with it being set on the ring, they go all out in exploring the lore for the new story arc.

I mean similar in that it seems like a rapid disposal of the last antagonist and on to another one, Didact and then Created/Cortana plot, three games in a row is a bit of a bad look, but we're now on the ring where some of the deeply interesting lore took place so maybe the end of this campaign will launch that off for future expansions

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I wonder if Bonnie Ross is sweating right now. Can’t have a repeat of E3 2020. What a disaster.
I’m not sure Bonnie even knows what is going on with the game. She got her rewards for who knows what and has seemingly been shoved in a closet somewhere ever since the initial reveal.

clarky

Gold Member
I wonder if Bonnie Ross is sweating right now. Can’t have a repeat of E3 2020. What a disaster.
Outside of the nerd bubble was it really that much of a disaster? I thought it looked 'Fine'. Unfinished and a bit rough but guess what it actually was unfinished. They've had an extra what 20 months since that particular "branch" was shown. TBH im not expecting anything massively different content wise tomorrow.

YukiOnna

I mean similar in that it seems like a rapid disposal of the last antagonist and on to another one, Didact and then Created/Cortana plot, three games in a row is a bit of a bad look, but we're now on the ring where some of the deeply interesting lore took place so maybe the end of this campaign will launch that off for future expansions
Oh. Yeah, I agree that one of the problems is they couldn't commit to a storyline and that made each game disjointed. I hope with Infinite being the game that will have sequel campaign updates they can fix this problem now and Staten was dealing with the writing again.

ZehDon

Outside of the nerd bubble was it really that much of a disaster? I thought it looked 'Fine'. Unfinished and a bit rough but guess what it actually was unfinished. They've had an extra what 20 months since that particular "branch" was shown. TBH im not expecting anything massively different content wise tomorrow.
Microsoft delayed it a year, broke all kinds of marketing deals to do that, and decided to launch their next-gen gaming console without a game rather than launch Halo Infinite. On a disaster scale, that ranks it about 'I can't leave without my buddy, Superfly' out of 10.

Last edited:
Top Bottom