• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Most video game trailers
If You Say So Ok GIF by Bounce

Halo Trailer
Spying Latoya Jackson GIF
Not only that but have had a few people tell me no one cares about Halo anymore

This thread being over 1000 posts says otherwise if no one cared it would have died long ago

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's sad that it always comes to some console warrior narrative.

You can bet there are some biased fans but the banter is so played out and old. It's like circa 2008 GAF.

You have a lot of grown men(and woman) who have legitimate takes according to them.

How they articulate may differ but that's why I leave the comparisons with other consoles and other stuff out of it since it only causes unnecessary animosity.

That's at least where I come from but I don't expect that level of maturity from others.

DragonNCM

ftfy

Halo gets extra special attention as one of the biggest franchises in gaming. That's like a honeypot for console warriors.
I only know that I will have fun time with FH5 & Halo:Infinite this fall, in meantime my 500$ dust collector still waiting for exclusives.....almost 1 YEAR.

Topher

Gold Member
I only know that I will have fun time with FH5 & Halo:Infinite this fall, in meantime my 500$ dust collector still waiting for exclusives.....almost 1 YEAR.

I'll be enjoying FH5 and Halo Infinite this fall as well. Not sure what "dust collector" you are referring to that is still waiting on exclusives though. Certainly isn't PS5 as it has had several.

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

I can't take you seriously, out of what was shown and the MP we have played one thing you can't critique is the gameplay. I mean what about the gameplay did you find bland?
Not talking about the MP part of it, looks pretty solid. As a single player game, at least from the trailers, there is a lack of epicness characteristic of the Halo universe. We didn't see alot of the mission structure and things we can do in an open world. The way they are introducing the story seems very vague and open ended. Dunno man, doesn't feel right.

Not talking about the MP part of it, looks pretty solid. As a single player game, at least from the trailers, there is a lack of epicness characteristic of the Halo universe. We didn't see alot of the mission structure and things we can do in an open world. The way they are introducing the story seems very vague and open ended. Dunno man, doesn't feel right.
Like every other Halo Preview. You can't show me a single Halo trailer that provides any of those details. Yet, all of them are pretty great (excluding Halo5).

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
So you know it plays well, but the shit you don't know about yet you don't like. Got it.

Edit: they show off the world, bits of action, the systems, what the first mission entails, who some of the villains are. Why would you want the story and missions spoiling? Trailer was perfect for what it set out to do, and I'm sure a launch trailer will follow.

Last edited:

DragonNCM

I'll be enjoying FH5 and Halo Infinite this fall as well. Not sure what "dust collector" you are referring to that is still waiting on exclusives though. Certainly isn't PS5 as it has had several.
Waiting games like Days gone , Bloodborn , GOW , GT7 ,HZD and maybe if I'm lucky a new Killzone ........cross platforme games are not counted.

Topher

Gold Member
Waiting games like Days gone , Bloodborn , GOW , GT7 ,HZD and maybe if I'm lucky a new Killzone ........cross platforme games are not counted.

Then why are you "counting" Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite? They are "cross platform" as well. That list of games you are waiting on is just bizarre. You know there won't be another Days Gone, right? The next GoW and Horizon will also be "cross platform". Killzone? lol....ok

Better yet, why are you trying to turn this into console war nonsense?

Last edited:

Pedro Motta

So you know it plays well, but the shit you don't know about yet you don't like. Got it.

Edit: they show off the world, bits of action, the systems, what the first mission entails, who some of the villains are. Why would you want the story and missions spoiling? Trailer was perfect for what it set out to do, and I'm sure a launch trailer will follow.
Hope you're right and I'm wrong ;)

Kacho

I’ve been playing some MCC on my Series X and the graphical upgrade in Infinite is much more noticeable now. I should probably check out Halo 5 again for a better comparison.

MCC has some weird flickering bug for some reason. It’s so distracting. Hopefully 343 fix that ASAP.

Edit: Here's what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Deanington

I havent played Halo 4-5, barely 3. So with a fresh look this is giving me CE vibes ( with new stuff ). Which is exactly aimed towards a player like me. Too bad the story is so far along because I am completely out of the loop. I just couldnt get into the story after CE's mysterious design/story telling. I wasnt a big fan on how they characterized ( in general ) the bad guys in two. However I am going to play this just based on the CE feel and hopefully I like the story line. Which I guess I should catch up on?

clarky

Gold Member
I havent played Halo 4-5, barely 3. So with a fresh look this is giving me CE vibes ( with new stuff ). Which is exactly aimed towards a player like me. Too bad the story is so far along because I am completely out of the loop. I just couldnt get into the story after CE's mysterious design/story telling. I wasnt a big fan on how they characterized ( in general ) the bad guys in two. However I am going to play this just based on the CE feel and hopefully I like the story line. Which I guess I should catch up on?
I got you.

There's better ones around if you wanna go deeper, check out YouTube, though I'm with you I've always found the story needlessly complex and stupid, I'm just here to shoot shit.

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

There are multiple materials that go through the overview of whats happened throughout ALL the games even Halo Wars (which is connected).

The story is quite complex in some areas though especially around Human / forerunners war, Mantle of responsibility, the halo rings and libraries, and the covenant.

This one (while he makes jokes) includes a lot of the "extra recordings" which are found as collectables in the games which explains a lot of the background

Witchilich

I'm hoping it's a precursor
Precursors are an embodiment of the living universe itelf. They seed life, raise it like a cattle and then destroy it. They are already present as the flood and communicated with us through the grave mind aka The Primordial. The Primordial claimed that the Precursors and the Flood are synonymous in Halo: Primordium, which means they only have one consciousness. The Flood are just a form of the Precursors. As mentioned in the Halo Mythos, the Primordial survives as long as the Flood does, so the Grave Mind in the original trilogy was the Primordial. This is why the Forerunners tried to genocide the Precursors and why after learning about the truth about the flood ancient humans committed suicide. The Precursors created life to later feed on it as the Flood and store the experiences of a species(pain/joy/suffering) in the domain, its a way for the universe to experience all these emotions.
2AD6E567579790DCF10ED6901A13DD9CB7B6801F

Mr.ODST

Nice, thanks for the two vids. This is really helpful to the thread too. Going to start watching now.
Enjoy! The Halo universe is one of the best sci-fi settings I have ever been apart of, the books are especially top tier if you ever get chance to reading them!

Also we can see from promo material and in the trailer what seems to be the Palace of Pain which is where Forerunners tested on human subjects with the flood, I dont think its ever been fully explained what went on in those places so seems they might let us explore them!

Last edited:

Helghan

There are multiple materials that go through the overview of whats happened throughout ALL the games even Halo Wars (which is connected).

The story is quite complex in some areas though especially around Human / forerunners war, Mantle of responsibility, the halo rings and libraries, and the covenant.

This one (while he makes jokes) includes a lot of the "extra recordings" which are found as collectables in the games which explains a lot of the background

This guy has a lot of great videos on Halo lore, definitely worth the watch

Andodalf

Banned
Enjoy! The Halo universe is one of the best sci-fi settings I have ever been apart of, the books are especially top tier if you ever get chance to reading them!

Also we can see from promo material and in the trailer what seems to be the Palace of Pain which is where Forerunners tested on human subjects with the flood, I dont think its ever been fully explained what went on in those places so seems they might let us explore them!

Greg Bears Forerunner trilogy is a must read! Really good Sci-Fi!

Lighting sees minor improvements
Texture work looks noticeably improved (although this could be a result of the lighting changes bringing this out more)
Draw distances look VASTLY improved

The latter two make the most difference to the overall visual fidelity of the vistas in-game.

From the video, the particle effects see massively improved also.

The animations are still a bit choppy, but overall it's a significant step up from the initial reveal.

The rocky textured landscapes are MUCH more visually appealing than the weird seemingly untextured hexagonal columns in the previous reveal. This new footage still has the hexagonal columns too, but they seem to have scaled back their prevalence and improved the texturing on them too.

WTF Rivet Rivet ... why does this provoke a laughing emoji?

I don't get it?

Lognor

Banned
That trailer got me so hyped I started playing Halo 4 for the first time last night. I just beat the first mission and it plays pretty well to me. I had heard it wasn't that good before so never bothered with it. Gotta get my Halo fix in now before Infinite releases!

Andodalf

Banned
That trailer got me so hyped I started playing Halo 4 for the first time last night. I just beat the first mission and it plays pretty well to me. I had heard it wasn't that good before so never bothered with it. Gotta get my Halo fix in now before Infinite releases!

The Campaign is well liked now. It's MP that drew Ire. The opposite of H5.

Lognor

Banned
The Campaign is well liked now. It's MP that drew Ire. The opposite of H5.
Ahhhh...okay that's good to know! Wish I had started it sooner then! I played most of the other Halo games in the MCC late last year/early this year after I got my Series X. I thought Halo 4 was the first game developed by 343 and that it was generally disliked.

But given what you've said, that gives me even more confidence in Infinite. 343 can put together a good campaign, and from what I've played of the MP flight, that should be in good hands too!

Andodalf

Banned
Ahhhh...okay that's good to know! Wish I had started it sooner then! I played most of the other Halo games in the MCC late last year/early this year after I got my Series X. I thought Halo 4 was the first game developed by 343 and that it was generally disliked.

But given what you've said, that gives me even more confidence in Infinite. 343 can put together a good campaign, and from what I've played of the MP flight, that should be in good hands too!

I'd say the game is generally disliked as MP is the bigger draw for Halo. H5 is in a weird spot where despite having good MP, it was light on content at launch and people never forgave that.

I'm really looking forward to Digital Foundrys analysis on the new footage, hopefully it's Alex as he did last years and he was absolutely spot on with how to improve it.

Top Bottom