• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo Infinite - Campaign Overview (October 25th - 6am PT / 9am ET / 3pm CET)

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Is this what you do constantly?

Not man enough to counter argument. Fucking loser.
Inspired Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Those screens dont show off the volumetric lighting all that well. It was dull and didnt have much bounce in last year's demo, but here the lighting illuminates the atmosphere rather well.

The hue in this shot for example accurately fills up the early morning fog.

We saw this in the early engine demos, hence why I said only minor improvements.

I just think the initial reveal wasn't at the same TOD or atmospheric conditions to really show this off. But the engine demo proved the tech was always present in the engine.

Fredrik

Disappointing to see people fight now that we’ve finally seen the game and it seems great. We should celebrate it, it could’ve been a trainwreck but it wasn’t.

And don’t forget that this game can be played on;
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X
PC
Steam Deck soon
Xbox Cloud on;
iPhone
Android phones
iPads
Android pads
Nvidia Shield
laptops

Don’t be grumpy if you don’t have to.

DragonNCM

Then why are you "counting" Forza Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite? They are "cross platform" as well. That list of games you are waiting on is just bizarre. You know there won't be another Days Gone, right? The next GoW and Horizon will also be "cross platform". Killzone? lol....ok

Better yet, why are you trying to turn this into console war nonsense?
I dont wana turn anything......I just wana play games & at this time xbox offers more
.. next year PS5 will look beter & my PC is not a option with oudated 1660 GPU ( and will not update soon with fucking crazy prices on GPU)

clarky

Banned
For sure i think we'll see the staple snow and desert, they are both in concept art, if not straight away for sure in expansions ( that would be a little disappointing tho).

Ma-Yuan

The game looks like it should run like butter on my old one x but has no business on a current Gen console 🙈 quiet disappointed still.

Lol it's just a Ubisoft game.

No, it's a Halo Campaign that has stuck very much to its roots for people who wish to pursue only the main story thread or golden path. They're just doing so with a far bigger, much more vertical sandbox to the point that it comes off as open world. They've added a clever looking upgrade system to taken advantage of new and existing sandbox elements in clever ways, which gives players more choice and customizability in that sandbox.

For players who don't want things to end too soon because they're progressing too far into the story, that's what the optional objectives, outposts, strongholds and other things are for, that's what the collectibles are for. If they get this right they've officially made a the most fun, most replayable Halo campaign in history with the same universe and gameplay people love. In fact, the gameplay has never felt better. What I experienced in the flight was some of the best feeling fps combat I've ever felt whether on a console or PC.

Pedro Motta

Finally shown their true colours

delicious-mmm.gif

Now do us a favour and let people enjoy some Halo
LOL what would you know about my true colors. I'm not the one called "Mr ODST", talking about true colors, pff.

I'm fortunate enough to own all platforms and I know all the rotten bits of all of them.

I gave my honest opinion and I get jumped by these insecure incels. At least some were decent to reply and counter my argument.

But I get pissed that are always the same jerks, that never reply and only leave LOL emojis, scared of a real conversation probably.

This video hyped me up, seems to analyse the trailer pretty well on certain changes.

Solid breakdown, picked up a few things others have not -
  • Guardians downed on ring
  • Banshee contrails affect grass systems etc.
  • Brute health bar enemy is different to the one on the elevator
  • Grappleshot giving enemies an electric shock when used
  • Jackals spinning their shields and firing through the opposite hand gap (Greek Spartan style)
  • Friendlies changing out weapons during a fight
  • Harbinger boss states Forerunner lies and interesting narrative turn of events, also not a prophet and not an elite

Codes 208

Disappointing to see people fight now that we’ve finally seen the game and it seems great. We should celebrate it, it could’ve been a trainwreck but it wasn’t.

And don’t forget that this game can be played on;
Xbox One S
Xbox One X
Xbox Series S
Xbox Series X
PC
Steam Deck soon
Xbox Cloud on;
iPhone
Android phones
iPads
Android pads
Nvidia Shield
laptops

Don’t be grumpy if you don’t have to.
Ehm, i sorta doubt that. The game chugs even on 2070+ hardware

or at least hopefully theyve optimized it wince the flight more.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Someone posted a LOLface on my post in this thread, and to be honest I was puzzled. So I took a little peek at history:

gQ9sBvV.png

Image is not edited, it's actually in original sequence.. So yeah..
Dude I dont even have to go into their history to see all the LOL reactions they have left. I get those in MY notifications tab.

5lgVWN3.png

Obviously those sparks from the wasp drop weren't complete cause they were like 15fps or whatever. I must've watched this 100 times or more by now.

I'm not feeling that drop of the wasp. At least let it hover before finally settling down on initial drop. That would look a whole lot cooler for the game. This isn't the kind of equipment that should just be dropped like that. It looks really bad. That's my largest complaint about the entire campaign footage.

Fredrik

or at least hopefully theyve optimized it wince the flight more.
At what resolution and with which settings? Steam Deck is only 720p and you don’t have to play games at Ultra.

Either way, there is always Xbox Cloud so it can still be played on Steam Deck and all kinds of other devices.

I just think people need to stop being salty or whatever reaction that spur the fighting, there are so many ways to play this game that there really is no need to act as if it’s a Xbox Series X exclusive. You can even play Xbox Series X games on Xbox One now through Xbox Cloud iirc.

Banned

I played the flights on my old PC because I didn't yet have my new one. and I played them on a GTX1070. with dynamic resolution on I could easily hit 120fps on that card, at ultra settings. the resolution would take a huge hit of course but it still looked pretty good (their TAA solution really scales up the image nicely)

if I turned off dynamic res, 60fps at 1080p ultra was absolutely no issue for me and with a tiny dynamic res hit 1440p ultra was also doable.

again, this was with everything on max settings. If I lowered even some of them a dynamic res would not be needed for 60fps. shadow resolution and stuff like that usually gives you huge performance boosts when lowered

Last edited:
The cutscenes look a lot better, and the pop in is much reduced.

Gameplay looks pretty great, and they've practically turned my personal sentiments of the game upon reveal.

It's practically Far Cry: Halo, and I'm sure that will be fun for the fans and newcomers alike.

HOWEVER:

Is this the map and that's it? Like, is there any other climates in the map or are we just stuck in this morning dew looking map the entire time? Because I can't but feel like this would be woefully a really dumb decision on their part to tie us down into a map without different weather cycles and regions with different climates.

Hoping to see them talk about the map more in the future, and maybe they can talk about the world they built and what else we can do, see, or experience, besides running and gunning (if any).

Banned

Gameplay looks pretty great, and they've practically turned my personal sentiments of the game upon reveal.

It's practically Far Cry: Halo, and I'm sure that will be fun for the fans and newcomers alike.

HOWEVER:

Is this the map and that's it? Like, is there any other climates in the map or are we just stuck in this morning dew looking map the entire time? Because I can't but feel like this would be woefully a really dumb decision on their part to tie us down into a map without different weather cycles and regions with different climates.

Hoping to see them talk about the map more in the future, and maybe they can talk about the world they built and what else we can do, see, or experience, besides running and gunning (if any).

pretty sure they said you fly to different big maps using that pelican. so my guess is that there will be almost Mario Odyssey like levels with big areas and multiple side missions as well as a main mission path

Last edited:
pretty sure they said you fly to different big maps using that pelican. so my guess is that there will be almost Mario Odyssey like levels with big areas and multiple side missions as well as a main mission path
Did they? I must have missed that.

Well, regardless, I hope they begin to show us a little bit more on the variety their map(s) offers.

Heres hoping!

Banned

Well, regardless, I hope they begin to show us a little bit more on the variety their map(s) offers.

Heres hoping!

yeah they basically said you use the pelican to get to different places on the halo ring, mostly centered around that destroyed part of it

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
WTF Rivet Rivet ... why does this provoke a laughing emoji?

I don't get it?

Rivet Rivet gonna Rivet.
Too scared to actually post anything so they mass react to anything you say thats positive about Xbox.
m9rbf9S.jpg

I dont know how to force people NOT to react cuz Rivet has on multiple occasions gotten my notifications into the double digits and miss legitimate reactions and quotes.

Kagey K

Banned
Rivet Rivet gonna Rivet.
Too scared to actually post anything so they mass react to anything you say thats positive about Xbox.
m9rbf9S.jpg

I dont know how to force people NOT to react cuz Rivet has on multiple occasions gotten my notifications into the double digits and miss legitimate reactions and quotes.
If you put the user on ignore you no longer get notifications for their spam emojis.

I’ve used it on a few that use the emoji system to try to provoke.

Havoc2049

HOWEVER:

Yep, that's it! 9:00AM in the forest in that section you see in the trailer, throughout the whole game, nothing else!

Come on man, stop sweating stoopid stuff and enjoy the mystery of a new Halo game. Halo rings are full of multiple biomes and Forerunner structures and just like every Halo game in the past, you will visit all kinds of cool locations.

Yep, that's it! 9:00AM in the forest in that section you see in the trailer, throughout the whole game, nothing else!

Come on man, stop sweating stoopid stuff and enjoy the mystery of a new Halo game. Halo rings are full of multiple biomes and Forerunner structures and just like every Halo game in the past, you will visit all kinds of cool locations.
Lmao dude, could you not be so insecure about this game?

There is literally nothing that I said that shouldn't be said and asked about.

Of course that they should be having more than one environment area/region as per every other Halo game, but the question is, are we getting a look into it at all, or nah?

Hardly a polarizing question to ask.

Heres hoping!

There's plenty enough variety in what they showed already, and I'm sure they haven't shown all of it yet. Are not the below two very distinct looks from one another?

0VTBvr4.png

16MCluZ.png

This next one is a screen grab from youtube so quality will suffer. In this picture down there you will see what appears to be a decent sized body of water. It's larger than it appears from high up. The various things in the environment contribute to variety.

Nz5v2hU.png

yHS8pqg.png

There's a whole sub biome that's called the deadlands that's completely war torn. Everything is destroyed, charred, nothing really looks alive. We saw a small taste of that in campaign overview. There are swamp/marshland sub-biomes, there are mountainous highland sub-biomes. There's hidden underground cave systems, countless interiors like banished strongholds, likely the inside of both UNSC and Banished ships. There's a whole, I believe, confirmed dynamic wind and fog system which apparently kicks in at times. You saw that section of the map that had a battle going down scarily close to a possibility of falling into deep space. The look there was way more heavy on the hex walls aesthetic the game has going. It was a vastly different look compared to the Pacific Northwest inspired look, which is the game's most dominant biome. Their dominant biome in the game is the one that looks the most like Halo CE. The game takes place on a Halo. That is the dominant biome of a Halo ring going as far back as Halo CE.

There's a part of the map where a whole guardian appears down. Such a scene in a past Halo game would be considered a "new area" or mission altogether. These kinds of things contribute to the look of the world and memorable locations and moments people will remember. Variety isn't only satisfied by more drastic environmental changes or visiting a different planet. This game is doing what many other Halo games have done in the past, only we're now more directly being given a choice on the how and when of our approaches. The variety is in the environment, whatever secrets are found on Zeta Halo. This is what their level designers, concept and other artists, mission planners/designers etc., are for. The game takes place on the most legendary and famous Halo of all, Zeta Halo. People aware of the lore know there are some serious secrets on this Halo.

We are on an entire Halo for the game. We're practically getting to explore on a huge scale for the very first time ever. Considering this fact, there's no added pressure for them to do what many other games simply don't do prior to release, which is showing their entire hand. People also seem to be forgetting this game has massive play sections where gameplay takes place with full day and night cycles with dynamic skyboxes. That by its nature automatically lends itself to a variety of appearances well exceeding what games without such design elements can achieve.

But that's just my view. We quite literally have an aerial almost deep space battle on Zeta Halo based on the campaign overview. That's certainly different lol.

Naked Lunch

Ive always wanted to see what the edge of a Halo looks like in game. The part where the ring ends.

Hopefully snow and desert environments are in there - but the real meat and potatoes of a Halo is the forerunner structures underground. They havent shown much of that yet. The initial Infinite teaser hinted at some interesting stuff underwater.

There's plenty enough variety in what they showed already, and I'm sure they haven't shown all of it yet. Are not the below two very distinct looks from one another?

0VTBvr4.png

16MCluZ.png

This next one is a screen grab from youtube so quality will suffer. In this picture down there you will see what appears to be a decent sized body of water. It's larger than it appears from high up. The various things in the environment contribute to variety.

Nz5v2hU.png

yHS8pqg.png

There's a whole sub biome that's called the deadlands that's completely war torn. Everything is destroyed, charred, nothing really looks alive. We saw a small taste of that in campaign overview. There are swamp/marshland sub-biomes, there are mountainous highland sub-biomes. There's hidden underground cave systems, countless interiors like banished strongholds, likely the inside of both UNSC and Banished ships. There's a whole, I believe, confirmed dynamic wind and fog system which apparently kicks in at times. You saw that section of the map that had a battle going down scarily close to a possibility of falling into deep space. The look there was way more heavy on the hex walls aesthetic the game has going. It was a vastly different look compared to the Pacific Northwest inspired look, which is the game's most dominant biome. Their dominant biome in the game is the one that looks the most like Halo CE. The game takes place on a Halo. That is the dominant biome of a Halo ring going as far back as Halo CE.

There's a part of the map where a whole guardian appears down. Such a scene in a past Halo game would be considered a "new area" or mission altogether. These kinds of things contribute to the look of the world and memorable locations and moments people will remember. Variety isn't only satisfied by more drastic environmental changes or visiting a different planet. This game is doing what many other Halo games have done in the past, only we're now more directly being given a choice on the how and when of our approaches. The variety is in the environment, whatever secrets are found on Zeta Halo. This is what their level designers, concept and other artists, mission planners/designers etc., are for. The game takes place on the most legendary and famous Halo of all, Zeta Halo. People aware of the lore know there are some serious secrets on this Halo.

We are on an entire Halo for the game. We're practically getting to explore on a huge scale for the very first time ever. Considering this fact, there's no added pressure for them to do what many other games simply don't do prior to release, which is showing their entire hand. People also seem to be forgetting this game has massive play sections where gameplay takes place with full day and night cycles with dynamic skyboxes. That by its nature automatically lends itself to a variety of appearances well exceeding what games without such design elements can achieve.

But that's just my view. We quite literally have an aerial almost deep space battle on Zeta Halo based on the campaign overview. That's certainly different lol.

Ah, okay, got it.

Thanks man, I appreciate you taking the time to properly provide an answer to my query and shedding more information on the matter.

You a G.

High Five Zac Efron GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Havoc2049

Lmao dude, could you not be so insecure about this game?

There is literally nothing that I said that shouldn't be said and asked about.

Of course that they should be having more than one environment area/region as per every other Halo game, but the question is, are we getting a look into it at all, or nah?

Hardly a polarizing question to ask.
I just think people are over thinking a trailer with a bunch odd assumptions and "what if" questions. It would be me like saying, "I noticed that the Master Chief didn't pick up a Covenent weapon during the whole trailer. Can he not use Covenant weapons now? If so, that would be a stupid decision by 343". That was the angle of my remark.

I just think people are over thinking a trailer with a bunch odd assumptions and "what if" questions. It would be me like saying, "I noticed that the Master Chief didn't pick up a Covenent weapon during the whole trailer. Can he not use Covenant weapons now? If so, that would be a stupid decision by 343". That was the angle of my remark.
Understood. And I was just coming from an angle of wanting to know more is all, and not from a malicious standpoint. Let's just shake hands and part ways until we find ourselves in a new topic to converse over.

Have a good day (or night) to you.

The Creation Of Adam Handshake GIF

cormack12

Gold Member
And here:

YZ3IDb.jpg

I think it was confirmed on twitter that this is in fact a downed guardian.

Yeah, can't find the tweet but I think someone working on the game told someone they had good eyes to spot it. Although it kinda makes sense, that one that phased out at the end of Guardians was damaged and Cortana would have used it to get to Zeta I presume.

I'd say the game is generally disliked as MP is the bigger draw for Halo. H5 is in a weird spot where despite having good MP, it was light on content at launch and people never forgave that.
Halo 5 matchmaking was pretty fun but I feel like the biggest issue was a lack of good maps aside from the ones that initially released with the game. 343's strategy to not even have dev made BTB maps was a huge mistake, and the new multiplayer maps added later for 4v4 were just the released maps reimagined. Which would have been fine if really good, but most were average imo.

Top Bottom