• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

tootsi666

Quick question for the pre-downloaders:

Does the MCC and day one update install together, or are they shown as separate downloads? I completely installed my MCC (45.6GB), but I'm not sure if the update started installing yet. After my MCC downloaded, another download showed up and is queued for installation, but it shows up as a gray box (and it refuses to install). Is that the update? I also have "Automatically install updates" enabled. Me confused.
It's not available yet

jem0208

And yet, it makes the disc far more vulnerable because the top of the case is what is always pressed first and what opens and swings. This is one of the dumbest changes Microsoft has ever made, for the sake of making changes.

That's not true. With these cases you hold it with the left and open it with your right.

Ummm, nope. It's just stupid and meaningless.
Meh, who really cares?

Makes basically no differenc.

GreyWind

I also did some quick editing in PS

IBLUQQv.png

Can't wait for H5!

Mix

nononoNoNONO

Don't do this to me please.

I have all of my games separated by system, so it doesn't bother me too much, but damn this sure does make me want to fix it lol
If you add a few zeros to the post number at the end of the URL it'll always take you to the most recent page. For example:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=136792135#post1367921350000000

That's what I do. :)

I actually hate this feature and it's mainly because it'll do it on mobile seemingly by itself a lot. and you always miss out on a lot of posts lol

Impala26

left side? gotta flip that shit upside down

Exactly.

If it really bothers folks so much, just reorient the disc in the case and (assuming it's removable) flip the slip cover upside down. Not hard.

Oh yeah and then don't bitch about the plastic pressed Xbox logo inside the case being upside down... lol

Woorloog

Banned
The shitty case seems to be a good argument for all-digital for Xbone. If it were actually cheap enough (as in, competitive with cheap retail and used games), and had enough HDD space (i've come to realization that 500GB is nowhere near enough based on my laptop's lack of space and my 360's full 250GB HDD). As is the shade of green used for the cases, damn it is terrible.

EDIT the image i posted is how i feel about upside down Xbox logo on the case if it is flipped. And also how i feel if it isn't flipped, in case that wasn't clear.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
lol, that doesn't phase me. I like weird little imperfections in architecture, actually. It makes it feel more organic and charming.

I actually hate this feature and it's mainly because it'll do it on mobile seemingly by itself a lot. and you always miss out on a lot of posts lol
Ah yeah, I feel ya. I check the thread often enough that I don't miss many posts, and when I do I don't really mind.

Woorloog

Banned
lol, that doesn't phase me. I like weird little imperfections in architecture, actually. It makes it feel more organic and charming.

There's a difference between imperfection and outright stupid decisions and flawed patterns.
Asymmetry in many things is pretty neat*. Flawed patterns and stupid decisions are terrible.

*Such a shame most armors in Halo 4 are terrible. I can't make a good asymmetric Spartan in it.

Woorloog

Banned
I also did some quick editing in PS

http://i.imgur.com/IBLUQQv.png[IMG]

Can't wait for H5![/QUOTE]

Intriguing. The damaged armor plate (well, where the Chief's armor has been damaged at least) is swapped to a modified armor plate.

And the damage the Chief's armor reminds me of one of those Batman games, the suit/cloak are more and more damaged as the game progresses.
Would be kind of neat addition to Halos' campaigns, i think.

I just don't get why 343's armor tends to be extra rounded compared to the older iterations. It works for some, but a lot of the design is lost with the softer curves. The harder cuts usually make the design stand out more, and look more like a super soldier suit.

However, call me crazy.. or does the armor sorta look like a hybrid of MCs Halo 3 and 4 design? If that's what he sports in SP I will be happy.

I just don't get why 343's armor tends to be extra rounded compared to the older iterations. It works for some, but a lot of the design is lost with the softer curves. The harder cuts usually make the design stand out more, and look more like a super soldier suit.

However, call me crazy.. or does the armor sorta look like a hybrid of MCs Halo 3 and 4 design? If that's what he sports in SP I will be happy.

It's the same reason cars in the 40's - 60's were more boxy... Simply less polygons available.

The gray tiles on the left side should be labeled as COD, with Halo 4 being the gray tile after Halo 3 perhaps?
(Where would Reach be?)

Every metaphor breaks down somewhere don't it? ;)

jelly

Intriguing. The damaged armor plate (well, where the Chief's armor has been damaged at least) is swapped to a modified armor plate.

And the damage the Chief's armor reminds me of one of those Batman games, the suit/cloak are more and more damaged as the game progresses.

I like that idea but not sure if his suit only gets marked by killer blows but they could at least scuff it up a little along the way to show some progression, little details like that add a lot. Maybe even a water texture like Splinter Cell Chaos Theory that changes. Stinkles probably muttering "but 60fps..."

Mark VI Scarred has a different helmet and chest piece from the regular Mark VI in the game, that makes me super hopeful that that means that is what Chief is gonna look like in 5.

Also Spartan armor made to look like the Arbiter designed by a Sangheili.
Ballin.

I hope Halo 5 allows us to customize armor decals/secondary colors per piece, and finds a way for it to remain in play even with team colors. I loved how Noble Team in Halo Reach had some unique, non inform color armor layouts.

It's the same reason cars in the 40's - 60's were more boxy... Simply less polygons available.

That said, it set a tone and art style for the series without looking retro/outdated. I wish they would have kept the armor going with harder, sharper edges.

Karl2177

That's not true. With these cases you hold it with the left and open it with your right.

At this point, I could tell you the Earth revolves around the Sun and provide mathematical evidence of it, and you'd still be saying that everything is geocentric. At some point you're gonna have to look at the evidence that someone presents and actually let it have some impact instead of outright rejecting it.

Just because the engineering exists now doesn't mean that it has to be utilized everywhere. There's probably more aerodynamic ways to design a Challenger, but they kept the dual headlight and flat taillight design throughout the run of the model.

Impala26

Even though it was only a small bit at the end, the way the helmet visor and HUD became damaged and disabled as you took damage in the "Lone Wolf" level in Reach was a really fantastic gameplay experience, imo. One of the more immersive moments in the entire Halo series.

jem0208

At this point, I could tell you the Earth revolves around the Sun and provide mathematical evidence of it, and you'd still be saying that everything is geocentric. At some point you're gonna have to look at the evidence that someone presents and actually let it have some impact instead of outright rejecting it.
Say what?

I did look at his evidence. I provided contrary evidence.

Just because the engineering exists now doesn't mean that it has to be utilized everywhere. There's probably more aerodynamic ways to design a Challenger, but they kept the dual headlight and flat taillight design throughout the run of the model.

My sarcasm was real. Twas a joke friends.

Blueblur1

That Halo 2 documentary was pretty damn cool.

Anyways, the armor. Looks good, but..

Something isn't resonating with me. I know the in game models will be a little more worn, and that's great. But the shiny bits look more like the outside of a car, rather than something more sturdy. The actual texture and reflectivity needs a bit more hardness and grit IMO, something to make it more like an ultra shiny tank rather than a new car. I'm all for ultra shiny armor, just less smooth.

I always loved the Halo 3 Beta armor texture:

ks7hxCt.jpg

But something true to this would be amazing:

NV2iH1K.jpg

The first screenshot shows armor that still tops every single suit of armor 343 has ever made.

Mix

So, with his permission, Wahrer is pictured in his sub-zero costume... in a starbucks.

Welcome to MetaGAF everyone.
1381292_1532069993703363_3548477096599398622_n.jpg

Top Bottom