• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT 20| It really does feel like Halo

1xcoup.gif

How is this just a visual zoom design change? It's straight up ADS. Coupled with the fact guys like Shinobi have now said they've pretty much confirmed it in all weapons, AR, pistol etc.

Yea, also look at the ammo count go down when he shoots from ads,just in case you guys aren't convinced. It's in people.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
but hey guys lets look at the positives

the lighting looks pretty good

that's all i got

midship is so fucking huge thanks to sprint, look how long they're sprinting on the sword bridge

So we all know ADS is shit through and through for gameplay, but whatever happened to Spartans' armor connecting to the weaponry, negating the need for ADS since you're armor's helmet is providing the scope instead of limiting the Spartan to the physical scope needing to be near the face?

Not only ADS, but *another* retcon?

ayxpz.gif

I thought exactly that, the visor on a spartan is his zoom and accuracy aid along with their own skills, suddenly giving a gun ADS for spartans breaks that part of the lore.

RowdyReverb

I'm still probably going to buy it anyway. I think it can be a good game, even if it's Halo in name only. At least legacy players have MCC.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Remember that big argument we had in the Halo 4 review thread over that one asshole reviewer who wanted ADS and we all shit on him saying it would never happen, and Frank backed us up?

lol

Computer

What if you zoom in one time you get low ADS zoom. Zoom in again and get the long range old Halo style scope? Idk just trying to make myself feel better.

RowdyReverb

I thought exactly that, the visor on a spartan is his zoom and accuracy aid along with their own skills, suddenly giving a gun ADS for spartans breaks that part of the lore.

Technically, it could still be in a Spartan's HUD, which would explain how AR could have ADS without a sight. It would be like augmented reality

Ein Bear

Is it tomorrow that Halo 5 info is officially getting released?

Have to say I'm at least morbidly curious to see how 343 try and spin this shit.

1xcoup.gif

How is this just a visual zoom design change? It's straight up ADS. Coupled with the fact guys like Shinobi have now said they've pretty much confirmed it in all weapons, AR, pistol etc.

I don't understand why hip-fire accuracy seems to be maintained. It can't be the ADS we're accustomed to.

jem0208

I don't understand why hip-fire accuracy seems to be maintained. It can't be the ADS we're accustomed to.

Maybe because it isn't actually ADS beyond the visual design.

What's wrong with you man? You're literally just making up your own "ideas" and trying to convince yourself and others. Just use Occam's razor here. Is it more likely that 343 has designed some elaborate visual redesign for scoping in which it also offers no real benefit while getting all the drawbacks of ADS, or that they actually added ADS?

They have very little to gain by changing scope to give the illusion of ADS as opposed to actually giving ADS then. Just accept it and move forward. Halo 5 will have ADS and Sprint.

No, I'm looking at the footage.

Hip fire accuracy is maintained, movement speed looks like it might be maintained. If this is the case then mechanically it's zoom.

I don't know why they changed the visual design.

VinFTW

Lol, please for the last time I never said you play as Chief for 10% of the game, I don't know how long you play as him. It was just described to me similarly to the ratio you'd find in MGS2 for example.

I won't stoke anything more, I love Halo like many others here. To re-clarify and just finish what I said, this person told me they want to get into the e-sports scene a lot with H5, or that it's a big goal. Small style arenas are a focal point. I asked if ADS was on all guns, replied "pretty much".

I don't know if it's purely cosmetic or what, but I asked just now to further clarify if it's even on things like the plasma rifle/pistol, etc. Said that ADS (again don't know if it's just cosmetic or something) was a big focus in development, now says it may just be limited to a few weapons, but that it'd be a strange thing to focus heavily on if it's limited. Assault rifle does have it though. He also reiterated that all the negative reaction might change things, Microsoft's playing it very safe and there's still 'plenty of time'.

Anyway, I don't like being vague so I hope that helps a little? Probably would have been better to wait until seeing it in action before saying anything.

damage is already done, sorry 343, deal with the consequences.

I cant imagine people caring enough after all we've tried to do the past 2 years to give MORE feedback for them to take out:

ADS
Sprint
etc

Booshka

Ya from that GIF it's ADS, I highly doubt that you can run, jump, or strafe at full speed while Aiming Down Sights to shoot. I mean look at the movement when they go to ADS, it slows to a crawl, in real Halo you would be shooting that player and pushing their position, at the same time, especially since they are shooting from bottom mid to pink ramp.

Halo is dead, 343's space shooter franchise might be fun, but it ain't no Halo game.

Trey

Remember that big argument we had in the Halo 4 review thread over that one asshole reviewer who wanted ADS and we all shit on him saying it would never happen, and Frank backed us up?

lol

This was the first thing I thought of when I first saw the news.

Random17

I just woke up to find Neogaf on fire. I was expecting final day discussion before launch.

The gif doesn't tell us anything new in hindsight; we saw the RDS in the reveal trailer.

The real question is whether or not it is actually ADS, or it is the scope from ODST. Unless I'm missing something here...

Locke sounds worrying though. A 50/50 split is what I envisioned :(

---

Edit: Is the gaming OP summary the only info revealed so far?

damage is already done, sorry 343, deal with the consequences.

I cant imagine people caring enough after all we've tried to do the past 2 years to give MORE feedback for them to take out:

ADS
Sprint
etc

The same things as "trust us" and people are falling for it. It will stay in the game for sure, they knew that people won't like it.

The BR being the only utility/midrange weapon is a problem. It's just not an interesting weapon and it's the most used.

Then all the maps look brown and still not enough Power-up usage. You should always be fighting over Power-ups, not once in a while when it gets wasted a lot of the time. Halo is most interesting when you can be creative in a fun, diverse sandbox. Shootouts with the BR play out the same way, but there's exponentially more excitement if one player can pull off incredible plays where the audience knows there's a certain level of skill that takes determination to achieve.

What were some of the most exciting moments throughout that tournament? The Triple Kill by Flamesword? The come back where StK was trapped on the bottom of Lockdown because their utility weapon takes too long to kill against a team that has positions locked down? Perhaps for some it was the long, dragged out TS match? It really is funny how similar the Halo franchise is with Smash:

• 64 = Halo CE --- Great combination of simplicity, accessibility and depth for competitive play.
  • Melee = Halo 2 --- They were both saved by button combos, glitches, advanced tech, etc.
  • Brawl = Halo 3&4 --- Convoluted with nerfed gameplay.
    Smash 4 = H2A --- Alright, but has more potential that's not being realized.
Don't get me wrong, I love this franchise but I think competitive Halo can be infinitely more entertaining both while playing and watching.

EDIT:
It was actually what sparked me to make this post, but quoted Booshka because your post was gigantic lol

Brawl was a disaster, Halo 3 was not.

tootsi666

I tried to watch the tournament. I just can't. I'm so sad right now.

I'm waiting for the beta, but damn I grew up with this series.

Top Bottom