• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT| HaloGAF Evolved

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
But besides that what really piqued my interest, not to get too ridiculously metaphorical here, was the ballet of spartans, moving faster, longer and higher. I could have seen just that and the BR alone, got up, shook David and Frankie's hands, said “I trust whatever the fuck else you happen to do,” and walked out content.
Yes. Totally. I got a similar sense from just watching the new trailer. Glad to hear you got a similar feel.

Based solely on what you just said, I'm going to invest in a surround sound system just for Halo 4.
Hmm, good idea! Let's see if I can scrounge up enough cash.

Computron

Yes. From what I remember the glare is a particular spot in which you look up. Not like stupid ass glare in other games you've seen that's just in your face for no reason.

So they have volumetric lighting so thick it's like one way fog is what your saying?
That sounds cool, it looked awesome in the trailer.

Thanks for the write up Devo.

I look forward to hearing more about the game. It is very visually impressive, I love to see that player movement is very fast, but it was quite the tease today. I need to see more of the multiplayer.

Hey Wu, I don't know if it's just my computer, but the HBO forums are opening all of the messages from the last 10 years on one page. (At least, it's trying to. It's still loading, and I believe you archive everything after a certain date.)

Louis Wu

Hey Wu, I don't know if it's just my computer, but the HBO forums are opening all of the messages from the last 10 years on one page. (At least, it's trying to. It's still loading, and I believe you archive everything after a certain date.)
Definitely your computer - but odd no matter what. (Even if you LOST your cookie, the default is 2 days' worth of posts.)

You can go straight to the prefs screen here.

Or they're sticking to the whole female and male Spartans are indistinguishable in their armor thing.
Eh, I hope not.

Srimshaw is a much cooler name than Wraparound.
Wraparound can't be the final name, can it? :lol

Yes. From what I remember the glare is a particular spot in which you look up. Not like stupid ass glare in other games you've seen that's just in your face for no reason.

Cool, I like the way that sounds, I always wished Halo would use more dramatic dynamic lighting.. I love what Gears 3 does with its lighting at times.

Fracas

#fuckonami
The implementation of "custom loadouts" is confirmed, right?
Ahh it's so hard to tell the credibility of all these journalists

Oh, and Halo |OT| Women Confirmed, Preorder Cancelled

Computron

Cool, I like the way that sounds, I always wished Halo would use more dramatic dynamic lighting.. I love what Gears 3 does with its lighting at times.

Gears does an awesome mix of Pre-baked Global Illumination and Realtime Direct Illumination with shadows.

Halo 4 looks like its still almost entirely baked (Still looks gorgeous, mind you), so its going to be interesting to see how they are going to do lighting for Forged maps, or if they will have any dynamic, moving environments.

Gears does an awesome mix of Pre-baked Global Illumination and Realtime Direct Illumination with shadows.

Halo 4 looks like its still almost entirely baked (Still looks gorgeous, mind you), so its going to be interesting to see how they are going to do lighting for Forged maps, or if they will have any dynamic, moving environments.

That's were you're wrong; There are tons of shadow artifacts like dithering and bad filtering caused by the limited real-time shadow techniques they are using. You really can't get around those artifacts with current gen consoles. I'd be willing to bet that all of the lighting is real-time, maybe except for global illumination.

EDIT: I'll go through the video and find some proof in the form of screen-caps for you.....

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)

speaking of dynamic, moving environments, i sure wouldnt mind getting some more interactive bits in my mp maps... things like the door on zanzibar

Can we not mention Forge maps for now? I'm having a good time here.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Halo |OT2| Finally Percolating Information

see what i did there?

DAMNIT Ghal. maybe a mod can edit in my superior title =D

Computron

That's were you're wrong; There are tons of shadow artifacts like dithering and bad filtering caused by the limited real-time shadow techniques they are using. You really can't get around those artifacts with current gen consoles. I'd be willing to bet that all of the lighting is real-time, maybe except for global illumination.

EDIT: I'll go through the video and find some proof in the form of screen-caps for you.....

I'd be willing to bet that all of the lighting is real-time, maybe except for global illumination.

So that leaves us with what, Player shadows and certain dynamic forge pieces like crates and radios? These were in Halo 3 and Reach, but they weren't accurate and they would fade at a far enough distance from the camera, unlike Gears' sun shadows. Easy way to tell is if the penumbra grows with distance, it is almost certainly baked. It looks to be that way in the trailer.

Reach has already proven that 3x weapons are unworkable. While a 3x weapon would allow players to pester snipers, they'd also allow players to pester other players (see: Hemorrhage, every Reach BTB map) across maps.

Not to mention the effect of such a weapon would have on the campaign. Can you imagine a 3x zoom in this encounter? Yuck.

The rate of fire of the DMR (and any weapon that would ideally be inspired by it) was too slow at long range to kill anybody, because they could easily get to cover to recharge their shields. As such, it was good for pestering and assisting teammates in battle from a distance, not great for actually racking up kills at a distance.

The exception for me was Hemorrhage, because it was designed with fan service in mind, not competent, modern map design. There is little cover for players to seek in Hemo, so the entire middle portion of the map is unused by anything other than vehicles.

TheOddOne

This is the only time I'm gonna give this shit some attention, but what the fuck is wrong with this poster? I just woke up and read that, now I never wanna go back into that thread smh.

Also lol @ people saying journalists played the game, two of the biggest previews say somebody else played for them.

Yf9pD.png

looks like a plasma repeater/rifle to me

Ih_promethean_bullet.jpg

?

Spawnling

The implementation of "custom loadouts" is confirmed, right?
Yes. I believe it was the last bulletin that bs angel posted. Just confirming lots of questions and little things.

Something, however, that I'm not excited for. It seems that every Halo game just keeps breaking away from the core gameplay. I can't be too judgmental though, wait and see some actual gameplay first.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Yes. I believe it was the last bulletin that bs angel posted. Just confirming lots of questions and little things.

Something, however, that I'm not excited for. It seems that every Halo game just keeps breaking away from the core gameplay. I can't be too judgmental though, wait and see some actual gameplay first.

Hey man, we moved to a new thread. This one got a little crowded, lol.
Join the discussion!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465574&page=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom