• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT13|

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElRenoRaven

I'm having more fun with a $1 indie game for my classic halo fix than the $100 million Halo 4.

Also, 343 isn't listening to the community at all. It's pathetic.

I actually finally started cleaning up my backlog myself. Finished Jurrasic Park. Working on Red Dead Redemption now. That's on top of playing NSMB U and Zombi U still. Too many games and not enough time.

Tunavi

Banned
I actually finally started cleaning up my backlog myself. Finished Jurrasic Park. Working on Red Dead Redemption now. That's on top of playing NSMB U and Zombi U still. Too many games and not enough time.
bioshock, crysis, kid icarus, trials, fez, GTA:SA, murder miners, super meat boy for me, Starting Skyrim soon. :)

When does the Crimson DLC playlist get removed for low population?
I'd laugh, but that kinda sad actually.

Give us classic halo 343.

FyreWulff

That stream was fun.

Could probably use AA blocker for some sort of tag gametype or the Flood.. does it kill Sprint too? Give the Flood AA blocker and the humans sprint/hardlight so you can "spit" on them to slow them down..

... or a gametype where everyone has infinite jetpacks except for one person that has AA blocker, and the jetpack players are trying to collect things in the air while the AA blocker player is trying to ground them.

Omni

An AA that jams other AAs? God no! That's too damn overpowered! Let's just stick to things like turning invisible and jetpacks!

u4iX

That stream was fun.

Could probably use AA blocker for some sort of tag gametype or the Flood.. does it kill Sprint too? Give the Flood AA blocker and the humans sprint/hardlight so you can "spit" on them to slow them down..

... or a gametype where everyone has infinite jetpacks except for one person that has AA blocker, and the jetpack players are trying to collect things in the air while the AA blocker player is trying to ground them.

You should have to hold the AA Blocker on an enemy target for X amount of seconds before disabling their AA.

Oh wait, I'm not a game developer.

Never mind.

feel

I would've loved an AA blocker. "You are going to play real Halo dammit and by god will I make sure of it."
hahahaha

I'm doing okay. Turned 20 today, but I didn't have a party because I never have a party. People are really busy this close to Christmas, so I've always either held an early party or just not had one. Got some cool gifts on Steam from a few friends and got some new sketchbooks.
Happy birthday!

Sending Holograms through teleporters should be a thing.

-EDIT-

Side Thought:
I wonder if they ever toyed with changing "Double Kill" etc. to other things.

GhaleonEB

I'm doing okay. Turned 20 today, but I didn't have a party because I never have a party. People are really busy this close to Christmas, so I've always either held an early party or just not had one. Got some cool gifts on Steam from a few friends and got some new sketchbooks.

Happy birthday!

(You were five when I turned 20. teh old.)

After tonight I think I am done with Halo 4 MP unless there is a TU with major changes. I just get so annoyed, and I hadn't even played it in like a week until tonight.

I still need to finish my Adept playthrough of ME3, beat AC3, beat Bayonetta, and I think I'm getting Black Ops 2, FFXIII-2, Soulcalibur V, Dishonored, and Golden Sun DS for Christmas. I also got Ghost Recon FS early from one of my sisters so I'm going to play that campaign.

So basically, I got other stuffs to play haha.

Enfinit

bioshock, crysis, kid icarus, trials, fez, GTA:SA, murder miners, super meat boy for me, Starting Skyrim soon. :).

3DS/DS: Mario 3D Land, Paper Mario, Icarus, Starfox, Kingdom Hearts, Spirit Tracks, Pokemon Black, Bowser's Inside Story, World Ends With You

360: AssCreed III, Skyrim, Forza Horizon

PC: Amnesia, Knights of the Old Republic, Trine 2, Walking Dead, Super Meat Boy

Hoping to hit them all before GTA V drops next Spring. Started some, plus there's a ton of novels I'd like to get to as well. There seriously isn't enough time in the day.

Omni

Off topic... Decided to take the plunge and ordered an iPhone 5 on a two year contract. Time to replace my shiity HTC. :D

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So can you do split screen co-op in halo2 vista? lol.
I was drinking last night talking with my dude about how much fun halo anniversary co-op was and on a whim I bought a 15$ copy of H2V. I figure the higher res and widescreen support etc would be more engaging than the Xbox version... Then I woke up this morning wondering if split screen co-op was even included. I have the wireless Xbox adapter of course.

FyreWulff

So can you do split screen co-op in halo2 vista? lol.
I was drinking last night talking with my dude about how much fun halo anniversary co-op was and on a whim I bought a 15$ copy of H2V. I figure the higher res and widescreen support etc would be more engaging than the Xbox version... Then I woke up this morning wondering if split screen co-op was even included. I have the wireless Xbox adapter of course.

Nope.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
aw what the fuck
not even with a mod?

Even 8years later halo2 is still letting me down.

Enfinit

Off topic... Decided to take the plunge and ordered an iPhone 5 on a two year contract. Time to replace my shiity HTC. :D

iPhone master race reporting in.

But seriously, I just upgraded to the iPhone 5 yesterday. RadioShack's doing a promotion where the 5's on sale for $150 with a 2-year contract, and they're buying back 4/4S's for $150. I was eligible for an upgrade, and I was going to renew my contract anyways, so I upgraded to the 5 for free. I've had the thing for a little over 24 hours and it's absolutely fantastic.

fullbody

still getting red recruit spartan on waypoint. it's so annoying that this is annoying me.

ElRenoRaven

aw what the fuck
not even with a mod?

Even 8years later halo2 is still letting me down.

Not even 8 years later. Microsoft pretty much murdered the modding community for that game from the get go. Hell they killed it's community period with the insanely locked down map making tools they released.

Piper Az

Finally finished Halo 4. Great game, wonderful graphics, and amazing cutscenes. Only letdown were unclear story and muted voice volumes during gameplay. Now time to play multiplayer!

Not even 8 years later. Microsoft pretty much murdered the modding community for that game from the get go. Hell they killed it's community period with the insanely locked down map making tools they released.
Also the whole making an Xbox port a DX10 exclusive trojan horse during a time when that wasn't an attractive proposition. Good god did they kill any momentum of that game had going for it with that move.

Karl2177

Custom classes

As I explained in my last agenda analytic post, this game probably came in hot. As a result, many features aren't available. From online File Shares to Campaign Theatre, these features are either not ready yet or they were completely cut. Custom options are not any different. There is an uncertainty if certain custom options will be patched in or if they are going to remain MIA. There is also a lot of talk, especially in HaloGAF, about whether certain guns should be allowed in loadouts. These two combine in the form of custom class restrictions. This post will describe what is missing, what another popular series did, and briefly on how it could be implemented in Halo 4/future titles.

When I first heard that Reach would have loadouts, I assumed it would be like Call of Duty. I assumed that I could choose a weapon from a certain set and an Armor Ability. Now this wasn't the case in Reach. It still kept a faint resemblance to (what is now known as) "Classic" Halo. Everyone started the match on a similar foot. Weapons and grenades were largely the same and the main difference was the Armor Ability. Halo 4 changed this up. It now very much resembles Call of Duty. The player can choose their preferred playstyle* and choose what weapons and abilities they want to start the match off with within reason.
*assuming the player unlocks it first

This wouldn't be an issue if every loadout weapon was created equal. As it currently stands, the DMR ruins BTB maps and largely dominates every mode aside from SWAT. The Plasma Pistol ruins any map with a vehicle. The Boltshot promotes campy behavior and is in fact more powerful than the other CQC power weapons. Plasma Grenades also destroy BTB play. The Pistol on the other hand is garbage. The Suppressor and the Storm Rifle are largely inferior to the Assault Rifle. The Armor Abilities also promote certain gameplay that can easily be considered negative. Camo, Jetpack, Promethean Vision, and Hardlight Shield are all considered by many in the community to be cheap. Currently, there isn't a way to restrict these setting in either a custom game or matchmaking. There might be some hidden Megalo stuff on the Matchmaking servers, but they haven't shown any use of them so far.

So what I'm proposing is a combination system from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty Black Ops. I don't have Black Ops anymore, so I cannot confirm if it has the restriction feature. In Call of Duty Black Ops; every perk, weapon, and grenade was unlocked at the start in custom game custom classes. This meant a player could craft their preferred class without having to progress through the entire system. It also allowed the Pro versions of perks to be utilized as well. This is something that Halo 4 does not do. If a player wishes to use a custom class in a custom game, they must have it unlocked and equipped. Also, Halo 4 doesn't allow the Specialization perks as base options for predefined loadouts either.

i7fgvDlEpYXbo.jpg

These are the Black Ops customization options in an awful jpeg I got off the internet.

Modern Warfare 3 went a step backwards by forcing a separate "local" progression system. On the other hand, Modern Warfare 3 introduced "class restrictions." I'll give a step by step on how these class restrictions work.

step by step said:
iLMIWznkH2gOi.jpg

This is the corner of the custom options screen in MW3. I'm mainly showing the Custom Class Restrictions tab.

ibfco7960jMrAU.jpg

These are all the custom areas that can be restricted in MW3. It's very similar to Black Ops. In addition to blocking certain weapons, the player can also block certain attachments, that way others guns can't use them as well.

ibmTy4SqPLgrqj.jpg

This is inside the Primary Weapon tab. The ones with a skull next to them have been blocked from use because of...

ibru6wvBFlYjSs.jpg

the Restrict Group button. This blocks an entire class of weapon from being used.

i6jWxdJi6KCHZ.jpg

The player can delve into the Assault Rifle section, where they can block certain weapons from being utilized. This can be applied to all sections: perks, shotguns, tactical grenades, etc.

Combining what Black Ops did and what Modern Warfare 3 did, the host player can create a custom gameset that allows others to utilize their playstyle as well as restricting the sandbox what the host player thinks is fair. Now how can this be applied to Halo?

It is fairly straight forward. When creating loadouts in the start menu, have another tab for Custom Game Loadouts. This will have everything unlocked, including specialization perks. As another bonus, it also allows the player to see what weapons and abilities they like before wasting Spartan Points on them for Matchmaking. How would matchmaking utilize restrictions?

Pardon the MS Paint and iPhone capture of my screen, but there's some wasted space that could be filled with some relevant info!

For future games, I'd also propose an expansion to loadouts and the restrictions on them. Maybe include restrictions on Forerunner, Covenant, UNSC, loadout-tier, powerweapon-tier, etc. But I'll have more on that in my ideal sandbox post. Thanks for reading guys.

Tawpgun

Custom classes

As I explained in my last agenda analytic post, this game probably came in hot. As a result, many features aren't available. From online File Shares to Campaign Theatre, these features are either not ready yet or they were completely cut. Custom options are not any different. There is an uncertainty if certain custom options will be patched in or if they are going to remain MIA. There is also a lot of talk, especially in HaloGAF, about whether certain guns should be allowed in loadouts. These two combine in the form of custom class restrictions. This post will describe what is missing, what another popular series did, and briefly on how it could be implemented in Halo 4/future titles.

When I first heard that Reach would have loadouts, I assumed it would be like Call of Duty. I assumed that I could choose a weapon from a certain set and an Armor Ability. Now this wasn't the case in Reach. It still kept a faint resemblance to (what is now known as) "Classic" Halo. Everyone started the match on a similar foot. Weapons and grenades were largely the same and the main difference was the Armor Ability. Halo 4 changed this up. It now very much resembles Call of Duty. The player can choose their preferred playstyle* and choose what weapons and abilities they want to start the match off with within reason.
*assuming the player unlocks it first

This wouldn't be an issue if every loadout weapon was created equal. As it currently stands, the DMR ruins BTB maps and largely dominates every mode aside from SWAT. The Plasma Pistol ruins any map with a vehicle. The Boltshot promotes campy behavior and is in fact more powerful than the other CQC power weapons. Plasma Grenades also destroy BTB play. The Pistol on the other hand is garbage. The Suppressor and the Storm Rifle are largely inferior to the Assault Rifle. The Armor Abilities also promote certain gameplay that can easily be considered negative. Camo, Jetpack, Promethean Vision, and Hardlight Shield are all considered by many in the community to be cheap. Currently, there isn't a way to restrict these setting in either a custom game or matchmaking. There might be some hidden Megalo stuff on the Matchmaking servers, but they haven't shown any use of them so far.

So what I'm proposing is a combination system from Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 and Call of Duty Black Ops. I don't have Black Ops anymore, so I cannot confirm if it has the restriction feature. In Call of Duty Black Ops; every perk, weapon, and grenade was unlocked at the start in custom game custom classes. This meant a player could craft their preferred class without having to progress through the entire system. It also allowed the Pro versions of perks to be utilized as well. This is something that Halo 4 does not do. If a player wishes to use a custom class in a custom game, they must have it unlocked and equipped. Also, Halo 4 doesn't allow the Specialization perks as base options for predefined loadouts either.

i7fgvDlEpYXbo.jpg

These are the Black Ops customization options in an awful jpeg I got off the internet.

Modern Warfare 3 went a step backwards by forcing a separate "local" progression system. On the other hand, Modern Warfare 3 introduced "class restrictions." I'll give a step by step on how these class restrictions work.

Combining what Black Ops did and what Modern Warfare 3 did, the host player can create a custom gameset that allows others to utilize their playstyle as well as restricting the sandbox what the host player thinks is fair. Now how can this be applied to Halo?

It is fairly straight forward. When creating loadouts in the start menu, have another tab for Custom Game Loadouts. This will have everything unlocked, including specialization perks. As another bonus, it also allows the player to see what weapons and abilities they like before wasting Spartan Points on them for Matchmaking. How would matchmaking utilize restrictions?

Pardon the MS Paint and iPhone capture of my screen, but there's some wasted space that could be filled with some relevant info!

For future games, I'd also propose an expansion to loadouts and the restrictions on them. Maybe include restrictions on Forerunner, Covenant, UNSC, loadout-tier, powerweapon-tier, etc. But I'll have more on that in my ideal sandbox post. Thanks for reading guys.
Beautiful post.

malfcn

fullbody

still getting red recruit spartan on waypoint. it's so annoying that this is annoying me.

Mmmhmm.

fullbody

Also, what am I doing wrong with the Needler. I will combine someone CQ and nada. But someone will die, and their traces will follow me around like ghosts in pacman and kill me.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just started playing through on Legendary and I don't know if it's me just being even more efficient or what, but ammo seems to be less of an issue for me now. A lot of waiting + making ample use of the autoturret is getting me pretty far, even though I gotta pause often to catch my bearings. I can't notice any difference in the AI, seems like all the differences with heroic are handled as damage/shielding. Also, this is about 800x easier than the BS in SpOps Legendary. Enemies are still dumb as fuck, who will not pursue unless your within 5 metres of them, and then when you move away or out of view they presume you're gone for good.

Noticing a lot of fine details in the environments now too, on the little glass inlets going up mini-elevators, some neat texturework in the forerunner architecture, the already crazy detailed corridors in the FUD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom